Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, I haven’t dealt with a game with a memory leak in about a decade. How do they gently caress that up?

Chances are very good that you have in fact dealt with a memory leak much more recently than that but they can vary pretty massively in severity. They're also super easy to make and super hard to fix and PGI is a rather fly-by-night studio at the best of times so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MW5 just dumps you to desktop with a message that it ran out lol

The bug where I got a billion dollars so I could just buy whatever was much nicer. Who cares my pilot got cored out? I'm Richie Rich, I'll buy more friends! It's not like I'm in a hurry to avenge my dad or whatever

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

That's totally fair, KZ probably is a "sale" game because it is really short for it's price, but I found every second potent and fun to play

Shadowrun Dragonfall is real good if you want the a e s t h e t i c but yeah if you aren't into turn-based combat (even though much of the game is dialog) then that's fine

If you like the writing and aesthetic of the shadowrun games but don't like the gameplay, I will say that all of them have built-in cheats so that you can just play them like cyberpunk visual novels, essentially, with intermittent sessions where you click on people to one-shot them with machine guns (or spells or robots or whatever type of character you decide to play as).

This will make the games either much more or much less satisfying depending on exactly what it is you're looking for out of the experience but it's an option

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Chances are very good that you have in fact dealt with a memory leak much more recently than that but they can vary pretty massively in severity. They're also super easy to make and super hard to fix and PGI is a rather fly-by-night studio at the best of times so.

True, and the first thing I do with a new computer these days is jam 32 GB of RAM in there so I’m less likely to notice.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

True, and the first thing I do with a new computer these days is jam 32 GB of RAM in there so I’m less likely to notice.

32GB is overkill unless you're working with large files. That's not likely to change anytime soon either because the forthcoming consoles only have 16GB.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TOOT BOOT posted:

32GB is overkill unless you're working with large files. That's not likely to change anytime soon either because the forthcoming consoles only have 16GB.

I know it’s overkill but it’s not like RAM is expensive or anything. At least it wasn’t over the summer. Never hurts to have extra.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lord Lambeth posted:

Furi is kind of a cyberpunk game if you haven't tried that.

Seconding the Furi recommendation. Best game release of 2016.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ghostlight posted:

Despite being quite despondent at losing my truck in Hydroneer I decided to load it back up and just gently caress around rather than start a new game. Through a combination of Recall Nearest Vehicle (teleport to nearest vehicle) and Unstuck (teleport player/vehicle to a free space at ground level) menu options I managed to successfully exploit the fact that it only had physics applied to it while I was in it by timing my exit to the split second it was near the ground instead of barrel rolling through the air and reach inside the mud guard to retrieve the machinery I had accidentally placed inside it, restoring gravity to the truck.

After my adventure I bought some more items to get a sweet conveyor belt that accepts dumps of earth and carries them off to a machine to grind them for gold after about a thirty minutes of chasing a couple of them through the woods after I accidentally put them down too close to me, catapulting us both off in different directions across the map.

There's a spade still out there somewhere.

Just to follow on the Hydroneer talk, so it isn't all "the physics are janky" and "I'm digging mud with a shovel," here's an example of a gold mining factory some dude made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIRdHLdiFo

(he throws the on switch on everything about 2 minutes in)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ZearothK posted:

Oh, I missed that update, the pre-release one was rather grim in perspective, good thing they've managed to turn a profit!

Sion is definitely the MVP in party, even with the other two characters that join you later. He's just excellent at dunking on groups of enemies, my Albus and Irene aren't quite on that level, which just shows how you can optimize the mastery system.

Albus is there to basically sit in front of entire groups of melee enemies taking no damage and countering them to death. Retaliation is one hell of a drug and you can stack his dodge really effectively.

I still haven't quite figured out how to use Irene effectively, personally. She's very hard to kill but it also feels like she doesn't do enough damage. Maybe I need to grind out some fire related masteries somewhere.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

TOOT BOOT posted:

Or more than two browser tabs.

I currently have four browser windows open with literally 99 tabs (I counted them!). I need that RAM.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

I currently have four browser windows open with literally 99 tabs (I counted them!). I need that RAM.

It’s great when you want to alt-tab between a game and a guide in a browser.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Never hurts to have extra.

that has been always true for RAM and HDD space. 32 is totally fine in 2020.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you're getting a new computer, 16GB of RAM seems to be the minimum these days. Keep in mind that the new console generation will have a baseline of 16GB of RAM. Make sure you leave yourself soom room on the motherboard to plug in an additional 16GB for a total of 32GB if the need arises.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

haldolium posted:

that has been always true for RAM and HDD space. 32 is totally fine in 2020.

Hah, I have 3TB on my desktop and I still have to free up space because of 100GB Games and my habit of downloading a bunch of stuff I think I’ll play at some point.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Antigravitas posted:

You need a freakin intervention, my dude

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

close your billion tabs

Orv
May 4, 2011
Every weekend or so I clear up all my excess tabs of like fifteen youtube videos I never ended up watching, all the wiki pages or whatever poo poo for whatever I was playing and then by the same time next week it's usually worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

youtube literally has a 'watch later' button you can just click to file those videos into a list you can treat like steam

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just be like me, have thousands of bookmarks you'll never look at

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

youtube literally has a 'watch later' button you can just click to file those videos into a list you can treat like steam

Too much work.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Too much work.

And rapidly forgotten about. Unless it’s a Tears for Fears video.

That may just be me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Andrast posted:

close your billion tabs

I will never close those tabs.

Until the project I'm doing research for is done, then I just close the entire window.

It’s great when you want to alt-tab between a game and a guide in a browser.

Haha yes, alt-tab, I totally didn't buy another monitor so I didn't have to do that.

I bought two

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Awesome! posted:

its weird because people like recettear. i guess the shop gameplay is deeper in that one or something
The shop gameplay is pretty snappy and you have the "market price" right there when haggling with an NPC. (Which is lower than what you paid to buy it wholesale even during price spikes)

Also you can stock your vending machines with more vending machines, somehow

Xaris posted:

Far Cry Blood Dragon for an FPS action game with only minimal amounts of ubisoft ubisofting the whole thing up. pretty short which works to it's advantage.
I'd say it has about the same amount of ubisofting per time, it's just that the game is a lot shorter than something like a full asscreed or far cry game so it doesn't have time to get old.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Antigravitas posted:

Same. I like being able to have my ~4GB memory footprint browser with a million tabs open even while I'm playing games.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Hah, I have 3TB on my desktop and I still have to free up space because of 100GB Games and my habit of downloading a bunch of stuff I think I’ll play at some point.

you are like a little baby..

i have a total of 7TB internal storage and i need to do some major housecleaning.
between games, music, comics, movies and tonnes of raw audio work stuff..

let's not even get into the myriad of external drives. :psyduck:

digital hoarding is a thing.

[edit]
oh, god. i just checked something.
my installed steam games are on both my C: and E: drives.

C: has 1.01 TB worth
E: has 883 GB

i have a problem.

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 13, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you liked Luftrausers but wished it had some kind of campaign, definitely check out Jet Lancer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hwurmp posted:

If you liked Luftrausers but wished it had some kind of campaign, definitely check out Jet Lancer.
Could they perhaps remake Jetstrike?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

edit: As a follow up to going nearly the entire day dazed after the ending of Life is Strange, I bought Before the Storm and started it up. I'm probably going to buy LiS2 as soon as I finish that. I know Telltale ate poo poo with their rapid expansions and license grabbing but Dontnod struck gold and I can't imagine them not making LiS into a continuing franchise or possibly expanding the original game out more.

i really appreciated that in LIS you had magical time bending powers but in LIS:BTS your super power was being the most seventeen year old teen on the planet

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gomi Day posted:

you are like a little baby..

i have a total of 7TB internal storage and i need to do some major housecleaning.
between games, music, comics, movies and tonnes of raw audio work stuff..

let's not even get into the myriad of external drives. :psyduck:

digital hoarding is a thing.

[edit]
oh, god. i just checked something.
my installed steam games are on both my C: and E: drives.

C: has 1.01 TB worth
E: has 883 GB

i have a problem.

I have 2 1TB NVMe externals so I can transfer games back and forth between my desktop and laptop. It’s a problem.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I have a NAS mounted and just move games to it via the "Move Game Files" feature. It's a little slower than local but most games fit into RAM anyway. And Valve has fixed the NFS bugs as far as I can tell, so some stuff permamently lives there.

At some point I may have to buy new disks for the NAS though. Like those 12TB helium drives…

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

I have 2 1TB NVMe externals so I can transfer games back and forth between my desktop and laptop. It’s a problem.
What's your R/W speed? I really need some more external drives, but considering what those things cost I'd want to be sure I'm really getting anything out of it since that my fastest USB ports are only 3.0.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

Albus is there to basically sit in front of entire groups of melee enemies taking no damage and countering them to death. Retaliation is one hell of a drug and you can stack his dodge really effectively.

I still haven't quite figured out how to use Irene effectively, personally. She's very hard to kill but it also feels like she doesn't do enough damage. Maybe I need to grind out some fire related masteries somewhere.

Irene can also join the counter-attack meta as she's such an effective tank. I think for her it is best to stack attack or ESP's masteries instead of mixing them up, as she can either equip a weapon or a magical bracelet, so the opposite one will be low anyway. I am finding her Battle Mage subclass to have more meaningful damage than the Martial Artist so far. What personal mastery are you using for her? Justice is a flat 20% extra damage against criminal organization members, which are honestly what you fight the most of; Explosive Red Panda Formula will alpha-strike most enemies in the game during overcharge, so it's an excellent to make her a boss killer. I haven't really tried Lonely Hero.

I just wish I could get that damned Phoenix mastery drop.

Also, I realized while playing yesterday that the food you can buy actually gives meaningful bonuses if you order certain sets. Try ordering a Hot Milk + Savory Salad + Savory Sandwich for a defense buff and Cool Sparkling Water + Fresh Juice + Cool Beer for speed. This is also how I found out the game won't serve alcohol to Anne Macy because she's a teenager.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

someone who is good at memory management help me budget this. my OS is dying

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Open fewer tabs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

StarkRavingMad posted:

Just to follow on the Hydroneer talk, so it isn't all "the physics are janky" and "I'm digging mud with a shovel," here's an example of a gold mining factory some dude made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIRdHLdiFo

(he throws the on switch on everything about 2 minutes in)
I'm exhausted just looking at this. Each entity takes a minimum of 6 clicks or buttons to go from shop to placed. 2 of those you're going to be fighting physics to cram it into the buy zone or truck bed. Depending how good you are at bad physics whispering the My First Unreal Driving Model truck next to the shop and your work zone, you probably have 10 seconds walking time per entity to load it into the buy zone, load it into the truck, and grab and place it where you need it. Getting the truck to the shop and back is probably 45 seconds each way, done batchwise but you're probably only gonna get 6 or so entities crammed in the truck before they start launching to the moon.

I like the idea of games where you hold one thing at a time but this game desperately needs crates of ploppable entities to avoid 85% of your build time being ferry things to a truck and back. I'm at a point where I should be debating making a mega mine like that in a new plot but I can't fathom making the move at this point so this is probably going on the back burner to see if they simplify ploppable shopping in the future.

It's got me looking at that Discovery gold mining (maybe not) shovelware game of all things that is conspicuously on sale if anyone wants to talk me into or out of bucket digger the game.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Morter posted:

Cyberpunk

NEON CHROME

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HenryEx posted:

Open fewer tabs.

no

Orv
May 4, 2011

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My mate Kevin was a browser tab monster, he'd regularly have 15+ tabs open, messy desktop too, not the way to live, My Computer, Recycle Bin and a folder for all my game shortcuts which is inevitably ignored as the amount of game clients on my quickbar slowly grows, its the only way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ZearothK posted:

Irene can also join the counter-attack meta as she's such an effective tank. I think for her it is best to stack attack or ESP's masteries instead of mixing them up, as she can either equip a weapon or a magical bracelet, so the opposite one will be low anyway. I am finding her Battle Mage subclass to have more meaningful damage than the Martial Artist so far. What personal mastery are you using for her? Justice is a flat 20% extra damage against criminal organization members, which are honestly what you fight the most of; Explosive Red Panda Formula will alpha-strike most enemies in the game during overcharge, so it's an excellent to make her a boss killer. I haven't really tried Lonely Hero.

She's supposed to be your Scout-tank. Switch her personal mastery to Lonely Hero and send her out ahead of the rest of your team. Read the bonuses, they're big and she gets a mastery that adds on to being a Hero.