Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stillvisions posted:

I think his biggest mistake was he dumped his best material early; he's got some great theory early on. At some point in time that well mostly went dry and he's now left trying to ride the algorithm of quantity over quality.

i don't think he's run out of theory stuff it's more that it cuts into hawking his book if he goes too in-depth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I have a hard time watching someone use a whiteboard on camera so I haven't really checked his theory stuff out. Seeing one of those videos just made me space out like I was back in high school.

Music youtube in general is a weird place. A lot of people jumped in with minimal training for very basic stuff or experience, people who have tons of industry experience but are hawking their poo poo every few minutes. Then there is the stuff that feels more like the video essay ''''breadtube'''' stuff. I just started watching Tantacrul videos and found his videos actually pretty good about various software design theory and limitations and suggestions to correct. But then he'll do a 5-10 minutes hbomberguy-esque screaming rant about jank at the end of a video I was not expecting it and also it felt a bit mean until he walked it back after. Then there is the video about Star Wars music and Reification which I found great but it has all the clickbait titling and stuff which is an unfortunate part of youtube marketing. Some streamers posting their videos say that dumb clickbait titles like this always get them more views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB4lULC87Oo

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
The that pedal show dudes just posted a 45 minute video where their "editor" explains his process and I know if I watch it I'll loving scream.

My dayjob is as an editor and the TPS videos are so insanely badly cut I have to grit my teeth through them as is lol.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Have you considered leaving him a nasty comment about it

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
No. Whinging on SA is still a much better standard of life than commenting on YouTube in any fashion.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Did Wilco get a lot of airplay? Because they're totally dadrock, Nels Cline notwithstanding. Same with Black Keys.

former glory posted:

I feel like Vulfpeck meets this criteria. At least when I was nerding out on that live in NYC set of theirs on YT with my kids.
Joke's on you I just wanted music recs! Thanks!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Joe Bogan posted:

The that pedal show dudes just posted a 45 minute video where their "editor" explains his process and I know if I watch it I'll loving scream.

My dayjob is as an editor and the TPS videos are so insanely badly cut I have to grit my teeth through them as is lol.

Their videos can easily be 4 minutes long at the most, there's almost no actual content

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Their videos can easily be 4 minutes long at the most, there's almost no actual content

are those dudes affiliated with anderton's because all their videos are also a minute or two of content scattered amid a half hour of grabassing

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I feel like enjoying TPS's videos depends on how much you like Dan and Mick and whether you're actually sitting down watching them or have them on while you're doing something else. I dunno they seem like chill guys to me, within their field of the same dozen dadrock pentatonic licks, but I assume this is where someone tells me Dan constructs his gigrig things out of orphan bones or whatever. Personally I dislike the anderton's guys to about the same degree but they're at least upfront about it being the youtube presence of a music store.

I've also been watching loads of synth youtube lately and that's a whole other type of charisma vacuum from guitar youtube. Look Mum No Computer rules though even though Sam speaks like he's trying to mug me

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

in terms of music backed by drum machines, there's always these guys who do ridiculous stuff with hard-panned symbols and crazy beats. It's like a musical tension heachache, I adore it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4FDgcmTFY

They also had a sideproject that was much faster. Still just 2 men and a drum machine, but more metal (strong Godflesh/Bolt Thrower vibes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HReMIb_984

To bring it back to stupid music poo poo, they're "promo" videos used to be great. Like this one taking the piss out of boutique pedals and black metal purists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4
The bass effect gets me every time.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Concatenation posted:

I feel like enjoying TPS's videos depends on how much you like Dan and Mick

This is basically all social media content creators. It's the whole idea behind parasocial relationships: feeling like you relate to a media personality or celebrity is probably more important than anything they actually say.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

This is basically all social media content creators. It's the whole idea behind parasocial relationships: feeling like you relate to a media personality or celebrity is probably more important than anything they actually say.
That's basically how I feel about Fire Emblem YouTubers, so yeah makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpVXZmG0Vkk

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Craigslist find:

Dean Duk Dong - $850

quote:

Custom Dean mlx. Duncan sh 8 invader pickup in the bridge stock pick up neck custom paint job. New Ernie Ball super heavy slinkys. We do custom painting and small modifications please feel free to inquire about getting a custom paint job only the finest materials and highest of quality.

In case anyone needed a belated mother's day gift

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 12, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that'll pair nicely with my bc rich warbeast with a custom graphic of john cusack holding a boombox blasting peter gabriel's in your eyes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that'll pair nicely with my bc rich warbeast with a custom graphic of john cusack holding a boombox blasting peter gabriel's in your eyes

lol

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It's so stupid and so hard to imagine who it could possibly be for that it almost comes around to being Art. The mere existence of this artifact is mindbending and makes you question what you think you know. Like if you were wandering around someone's house on drugs and stumbled across a fuckin Long Duk Dong themed dimebag guitar it would take a while for you to accept that it was really there.

I can only imagine that someone ordered this and then didn't come through with the cash or something. Right? Surely these (apparently very skilled) painter guys didn't put in the time and money to create this thing just figuring that someone would want to buy it?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Intersection of Pantera and Sixteen Candles is pretty groovy, man.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thermos H Christ posted:

Craigslist find:

Dean Duk Dong - $850

In case anyone needed a belated mother's day gift

Rehosted the images for ya

Now that I can see it: :catstare:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:nono:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just rip off a toenail and use that as a pick you coward. Even dried skin is too soft.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

BonHair posted:

Just rip off a toenail and use that as a pick you coward. Even dried skin is too soft.
Well, this sent me down an interesting path. I guess you could use human leather...
https://acousticguitar.com/gear-review-skintone-leather-picks/

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: Y'know what, you're right, Bhabhi. :cripes:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 14, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You ever immediately regret posting something

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are my calluses supposed to be ... falling off? Am I not shredding enough, just to have nice little hard tips that sort of stay where they are?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You ever immediately regret posting something
I would, but my name is not Dang It Bhabhi! :haw:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

I would, but my name is not Dang It Bhabhi! :haw:

Yea I was most definitely talking about myself lol

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

It's funny music poo poo, but the stupid poo poo is the replies every time this gets posted, it's all "actually... you'll find he's a underrated player..."

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Huxley posted:

Are my calluses supposed to be ... falling off? Am I not shredding enough, just to have nice little hard tips that sort of stay where they are?

That guy is a leper. I've never gotten worse than hardened finger tips - like if I tap my fingers on a desk, they sound a lot more percussive than my right hand.

Content!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

former glory posted:

That guy is a leper. I've never gotten worse than hardened finger tips - like if I tap my fingers on a desk, they sound a lot more percussive than my right hand.

Content!

amazing. I have just stared at this for what seems like hours.

Also, Gina Gleason's talents are wasted in snoozeville Baroness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvYQ3svO9h0

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Rigs of Dad has their own official pedal now - the Kuge Screamer
https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pages/kugescreamer-overdrive-presented-by-chicago-music-exchange-and-rigs-of-dad

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The youtube video is great. The "demo playing" they chose was a really nice touch, too. Whole lot of lovely dad rock / guitar center trash riffs in one video. Played badly.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

the wild thing about rigs of dad is how not funny it is after half a second of exposure.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Crosspost from the guitar thread, behold the Kramer Pacer

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Spanish Manlove posted:

I feel like I'm getting a migraine aura.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

uncanny valley

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Forgot my Strat in a hot car and it melted

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's like they hosed up the monkey grip so bad they had to get rid of that whole section of guitar

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
A while back on Austin Craigslist, someone kept listing and re-listing Original drumhead drumskin Dave Matthews Painting Portrait every day, for $100

Someone eventually had enough and posted their response last week:

Apparently the original poster took it to heart and stopped. At which point new ads started popping up looking to buy or trade for a Dave Matthews drum head.

quote:

Wanted: Dave Matthews themed drum head - $100

I know this seems a bit random, but I'm looking to buy a Dave Matthews themed drum head. Please hit me up if you've heard of such a thing - it would really bring my room together.

quote:

WTB Dave Matthews' Face on a Cymbal - $999

It's crazy, I know, but I've long wanted to integrate the face of Dave Matthews into my drum set. Perhaps there's an artist willing to paint his face on a crash (into me)?

quote:

Dave Matthews is God - $666

Trade for DM drum head

Others just paid tribute to Dave Matthews and his undeniably godly skill on the drums.

In response to all this demand we got:

quote:

RE:Wanted: Dave Matthews themed drum head - $90

I can't help you there as those are exceedingly rare and can only be procured in Nashville, Tennessee. I can however offer you this portrait of George Jones on a drum head. I know the Opossum is awful drat good but he's not in Dave's orbit hence the lower price. Thanks for looking.

Finally, someone started posting various pieces of unlikely Dave Matthews gear, with competent photoshops which I sadly did not save for posterity. The one I really wish I'd gotten was an amp with a portrait of Dave painted on the grille cloth. But today we have:

quote:

Fender Custom Shop - Dave Matthews Tele - RARE! - $3400

Due to these uncertain times, I must let go a portion of my epic guitar collection. This is an extremely limited run telecaster with DAVE MATTHEWS FACE ON IT! At only $3400 (or best offer of course) you can be one of the lucky few to own such a rare piece. Please check my other ads as I am also listing my beloved Randy Newman edition Les Paul, and my L.L. Cool Jay Stratocaster. I really hope this goes to a good home. Stay safe everybody and remember, we're in this epic trolling together.

Anyway I think it's funny and didn't know where else to share it.

e: It keeps coming

quote:

Stolen: DM custom guitar autographed

Dave Matthews autograph guitar. This guitar was stolen out of my house along with a drum head that had Dave’s visage on it. Be on the lookout!

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I... don't see the stupid here? I mean, aside from the Floyd Rose. :v: