Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghostlight posted:

he posted a picture of his girlfriend's butt in bike shorts or something and after like half a page of people making fun of her hank hill rear end he revealed himself as supreme puppetmaster by saying he hoped nobody had jerked off to it because it was, in fact, his rear end!!! dun dun dun. that's the only time i can remember.
he did really like graphs though, and linking tepid burns to youtube videos.

didnt he also post a photo of his sister claiming she was his hot girlfriend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I watched the Unorthodox miniseries the other day and it reminded me of one of the best threads of all time, Fascinator's Ask me about growing up in a Hasidic community. It's an amazing story that may or may not have brought creepy Satmar watchdogs to SA.

I am absolutely losing my poo poo at the idea of Hasidic watchdogs reading SA

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Snow Cone Capone posted:

you would think they would have dealt with Avs if they were watching

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's an amazing story that may or may not have brought creepy Satmar watchdogs to SA.

There was also another thread by a Satmar non-believer a couple of years ago and that one only made it to a couple pages before the OP mysteriously vanished, so you might be right. :tinfoil:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I know some people who were harassed by Shorirm in Brooklyn despite not being Hasidic or even Jewish, so that doesn’t shock me.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Snow Cone Capone posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

There was also another thread by a Satmar non-believer a couple of years ago and that one only made it to a couple pages before the OP mysteriously vanished, so you might be right. :tinfoil:

As someone whose childhood was entirely free of religion I'm not sure it is possible to express how insane and terribad the Abrahamic faiths seem to me.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Lot of good SA lore here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923245&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

quote:

fewest arms - 1, abunchofnumbers

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As someone whose childhood was entirely free of religion I'm not sure it is possible to express how insane and terribad the Abrahamic faiths seem to me.

Fundamentalist extremists of every stripe are pretty terrible. I think it’s awfully shortsighted to view it as an innate trait of religions of that specific ancient shared origin and not the broader problem of authoritarian (religious or not) leaders acting like authoritarians.

Like compare Reform Judaism to hasidism and they’re two wildly different practices and belief systems, because the reform community isn’t ruled over by a bunch of authoritarians who use religious extremism as a means of social control.

Also I’m a reconstructionist because y’know even reform had too many rules for me. :v:

corgski fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 13, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As someone who was once an edgelord internet atheist, I don't think I can express how humbled I am by how faith can be a source of joy, hope, compassion and self-esteem to the marginalized and oppressed. Especially those who live in communities that use aspects of that same faith as an excuse for oppression.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Remember gecafe?

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-sexy/1/

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

As someone who was once an edgelord internet atheist, I don't think I can express how humbled I am by how faith can be a source of joy, hope, compassion and self-esteem to the marginalized and oppressed. Especially those who live in communities that use aspects of that same faith as an excuse for oppression.

Also this. I really have limited patience for internet atheism because they judge the worth of every religion by the absolute worst people who claim to practice that religion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Judaism is a faith where people out-rules lawyer god and god gets a kick out of it. Genetics came from a Augustinian monk. Islam literally has it as a pillar of faith to give alms to the poor. I’m an atheist but there’s something to be said for what people who actually see their faith as an inspiration instead of a way to excuse being a poo poo can do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stonk:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Judaism is a faith where people out-rules lawyer god and god gets a kick out of it. Genetics came from a Augustinian monk. Islam literally has it as a pillar of faith to give alms to the poor. I’m an atheist but there’s something to be said for what people who actually see their faith as an inspiration instead of a way to excuse being a poo poo can do.

The theory of the Big Bang came from a Catholic priest.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, like I said, I'm not sure it is possible to properly express how bizarre religion appears to me since I didn't grow up with it.

But please don't let that prevent anyone from rushing to the defense of the poor, beleaguered historically dominant world belief systems.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, like I said, I'm not sure it is possible to properly express how bizarre religion appears to me since I didn't grow up with it.

But please don't let that prevent anyone from rushing to the defense of the poor, beleaguered historically dominant world belief systems.

Ah yes those all powerful jews and muslims. :rolleyes:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I literally talked about the Hasidim trying to impose their insane rules before that, and offered that as a contrast. I wasn’t raised religious either but i can at least see what some of my friends see in their faiths and think some aspects are pretty cool.

Seriously, the bit about the rabbis our rules-lawyering god is fantastic, I’m gonna dig up that bit from the Talmud.

E:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oven_of_Akhnai

quote:

Rabbi Joshua's response then expresses the view that the work of law is a work of human activity, and that the Torah itself supports this legal theory. The Torah is not a document of mystery which must have its innate meaning revealed by a minority, but it is instead a document from which law must be created through the human activity of debate and consensus. Rabbinic literature was capable of recognizing differing opinions as having a degree of legitimacy (Yer. Ber. 3b), yet the community remains united and the ruling which is ultimately followed comes through proper jurisprudence. As such, Rabbi Eliezer's miraculous appeals represent a differing legal theory and were outside of proper jurisprudence which meant that they would not be followed. Instead the Jewish community followed the ruling of the majority in this issue and in others. The Talmud asks how God responded to this incident. We are told that upon hearing Rabbi Joshua's response, God smiled and stated, "My children have triumphed over Me; My children have triumphed over Me."

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 13, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fer crissakes, I did not intend to start a derail in the sagas thread. I'm going to let it drop but did want to point out the synergy between the derail and the current thread title.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Like just to put it in perspective there are maybe 75,000 Satmar jews. Out of 14.8 million jewish people worldwide. That’s half a percentage point of crazy fundies, they’re not representative of Jewish practice.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

Ah yes those all powerful jews and muslims. :rolleyes:

Do you think all Muslims live in marginalized communities in the USA and Europe or something? There are almost two billion Muslims, and they control an enormous swath of the planet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyway, for my own personal SA saga that nobody knows about, and I don’t want to go into too much detail without their permission:

8 years ago I gave a goon a spare key from a 4 pack of shoot many robots, we became online friends, I dragged him into my volunteer EMS agency,he got a taste for medical stuff, and he graduated nursing school today. Well, it’s after midnight, so yesterday. Proud of that guy and I’m happy that this site made a giant difference in someone’s life through sheer dumb chance like that.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Do you think all Muslims live in marginalized communities in the USA and Europe or something? There are almost two billion Muslims, and they control an enormous swath of the planet.

gently caress off, the guy was being an internet atheist in the worst way and I was making a point about how bullshit his reasoning is. Also I guarantee majority-Muslim nations have far, far less global power than majority-Christian nations.

corgski fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 13, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

gently caress off, the guy was being an internet atheist in the worst way and I was making a point about how bullshit his reasoning is. Also I guarantee majority-Muslim nations have far, far less global power than majority-Christian nations.

So, is that a yes, or what?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

corgski posted:

You certainly have opinions.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

So, is that a yes, or what?

It’s a “you’re an idiot” but you can talk all you want about how much global power Iran wields over in D&D, I’m sure they’ll love your insight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You certainly have opinions.

I’m not going to dunk on you, but you called religions terribad and incomprehensible. You’ve gotta have friends that have some kind of faith, talk to them about it. Or read about it. Or something that gives you some kind of empathy or understanding for how a shitload of people live their lives instead of dismissing it out of hand.

E: hell, PM me and I’ll give you some stuff you can check out, from novels to short bits. And I’m an atheist, it ain’t like I’m trying to convert you.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 13, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Oooh that’s a gorgeous bird!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

It’s a “you’re an idiot” but you can talk all you want about how much global power Iran wields over in D&D, I’m sure they’ll love your insight.

Yeah. The country with the fourth-largest oil reserve on the planet has very little power on the world stage. Saudi Arabia, the UAE, etc, all very small players with no influence on the global political landscape. It makes sense that the second-largest religious group in the world is actually a powerless minority, but I hadn’t thought of it until I read your persuasive arguments.

Edit: In the Middle East. I just reread that and saw I typed planet. I don’t want to edit it out and be accused of trying to hide it.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 13, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In conclusion, religions are a land of contrasts

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

quote:

Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people.

The app wouldn’t let me post a picture so I figured a Mister Rogers quote would fit.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Did I accidentally argue about religion in the birb thread?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I think that SA graduating from edgelord atheism to a reasoned stance on religious experience is a bit of a saga itself! Of c ourse, it tends to be a function of people aging.

To overshare a bit, I have personally encountered the enormous positive effect of the Christian faith in people around me and have again become somewhat observant as a result after describing myself a decade or so as 'firmly atheist'. Part of my own path was affected by the way insistent atheists always seemed to be the most annoying people around. The whole atheist movement has recently started to drift to the alt-right, with people describing themselves as 'logical rationalists' constantly spewing hateful conspiracy theories about jews and muslims. The uncompromising negative attitude towards an important aspect of the human experience seems to lead people down some dark paths.

e: ach, again starting poo poo in the sagas thread, sorry

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 13, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

e: ach, again starting poo poo in the sagas thread, sorry

A good bird deserves another!

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyway, for my own personal SA saga that nobody knows about, and I don’t want to go into too much detail without their permission:

8 years ago I gave a goon a spare key from a 4 pack of shoot many robots, we became online friends, I dragged him into my volunteer EMS agency,he got a taste for medical stuff, and he graduated nursing school today. Well, it’s after midnight, so yesterday. Proud of that guy and I’m happy that this site made a giant difference in someone’s life through sheer dumb chance like that.

a lot of y’all skipping this wholesome post to out-edgelord each other

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Prince posted:

a lot of y’all skipping this wholesome post to out-edgelord each other

:unsmith:

There’s more to it but I don’t want to say anything he isn’t cool with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Reading the thread title in Herschel Krustoffsky's voice and chuckling