Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Skypie posted:

my wife's first day back to work was yesterday. their store isn't open to the public yet, they're just basically catching up on 2 months of price markdowns, reorganizing the store, installing the plexiglass at the registers, and marking the aisles to be one-way. apparently at least 5 people tried to pull the sliding doors apart to get in the store despite there being huge NOT OPEN signs posted, and when management went to tell them "hey, we aren't open so you can't come in" the people started screaming and swearing.

this country sucks so much

Hahaha, your wife is going to get murdered by a chud who is mad that isles are one way. USA is so broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Crusader posted:

what the hell, americans are psychotic

it's seriously weird. i think all that 'we're #1 freeeeedom' bullshit scrambled their brains

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Crusader posted:

americans are used having money be the only barrier to getting what they want, they can't comprehend being told no for any other reason

mystes
May 31, 2006

got any sevens posted:

jfc

that reminds me of my friend that makes "cake" in a mug. she mixes like milk and chocolate and flour and butter together and nukes it for a few mins. sounds gross as hell to me
Life hack: if you make a mug cake but scale up the proportions slightly you can bake it in the oven.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Hahaha, your wife is going to get murdered by a chud who is mad that isles are one way. USA is so broken.

In all seriousness, that's a genuine concern I have after the news reports of a couple violent incidents spawning from attempts at maintaining minimum safety standards in retail places :smith:

I've told her to quit or ask for a leave of absence or something if their first couple days of public opening are insane

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

MorrisBae posted:

Wait wait wait

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1259881393443598336

So BCG helps protect against herpes too?

It provides non-specific immune protection so it should help to some degree with lots of stuff, but it seems to be most effective against respiratory infections

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Can I rawdog chicks without getting herpes if I have the BCG mark

twoday
May 4, 2005

You might get fewer outbreaks once you contract it, but this is the first time I've seen it mentioned in relation to bcg

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
give me the Mark of the BeastCG

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HSJEditor/status/1260469435183357954

what?

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusader posted:

Having worked in a store before, the "you're in there why aren't you open let me in gently caress you I'm gonna kidnap your kids while they're waiting for the school bus and rape them to death" customer is both extremely real and extremely too common

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

black hole like that one eating up the pond

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm surprised the US hasn't tried this.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Six steps to definitely getting fired in the US

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

mystes posted:

Gotta actually test before you can hide results.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stereotype posted:

Hidden behind all the recent "opening up with apprehension and caution" headlines is that there is a huge unavoidable catastrophic problem with not picking a single strategy: nothing will work unless we do it united. This is one specific instance where individualism cannot be tolerated if the end goal is to make things better. Clearly there is a political dispute about what to do right now, but "have people deny that there is a virus or threat and continue as normal" is completely incompatible with "people stay home because there is a threat and going out will endanger them while worsening the problem." If you try to split the middle then you get either a ruined economy AND maybe a deadly spreading virus too and that's it. There is no way that the middle appeasement route ends up with a good situation for anyone, you have to pick one and get everyone to do it and, if your theory of the crisis was correct, you get a good outcome. Our current strategy has no possible way of being positive at all and will be both a massive economic catastrophe as well as a horrorshow of death.

Don't forget how many people voted for Trump as a "protest vote against the system", self-destructive contrarianism is part of the national identity now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mystes posted:

there's probably too many moving parts here, there are thousands of private labs and hospitals and larger third party companies like quest and labcorp but who knows

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't forget how many people voted for Trump as a "protest vote against the system", self-destructive contrarianism is part of the national identity now.

and there's the whole extremely stupid and crazy accelerationism thing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Gotta actually test before you can hide results.

Australia finally got antibody tests and there's been millions sold/distributed to hospitals and clinics already, but the national regulator is only just getting around to checking if they work and so far they've all proving to be worthless:

quote:

The first results of that testing were released on Monday. The [Doherty Institute] found the first two products tested failed so comprehensively they should not be used to diagnose acute COVID-19 infection.

One test, by Onsite, claimed to pick up 96.8 per cent of people with COVID-19 antibodies. The Doherty found that number was just 56.9 per cent, although it rose to 84.8 per cent for people tested 20 days after the onset of symptoms.

The other test, by VivaDiag, detected just 51.8 per cent of people with antibodies despite a claimed accuracy of 97.1 per cent.

quote:

The Age revealed on Tuesday that the federal government has received official advice that the 1 million antibody tests it purchased are not fit for purpose. The government has repeatedly refused to say how much it paid for the tests, or who they were purchased from.

The government also tried to purchase 500,000 tests manufactured by Chinese company Wondfo – the same company that supplied tests to the UK government which are now embroiled in scandal.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/flipping-a-coin-covid-19-antibody-tests-should-not-be-used-20200513-p54smf.html

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Australia finally got antibody tests and there's been millions sold/distributed to hospitals and clinics already, but the national regulator is only just getting around to checking if they work and so far they've all proving to be worthless:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/flipping-a-coin-covid-19-antibody-tests-should-not-be-used-20200513-p54smf.html

How do they know what the actual percentages were without having an accurate test to run behind the inaccurate one?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

I don't really trust the (negative) results of my antibody test but for research purposes they can correct for the false negative rate to at least try and glean something about community prevalence.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Antibody tests weren't supposed to be used for diagnosing COVID-19 in the first place so I'm not sure why they are surprised by this.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

How do they know what the actual percentages were without having an accurate test to run behind the inaccurate one?

Pretty sure the problem with accuracy when mass testing is scale (particularly since everything is being rolled out so quickly, and companies are jumping into the mix with poorly designed tests).

In a lab setting with enough researchers and enough time I'd imagine there's a much higher degree of accuracy than a thumb prick test; they often use arterial blood or plasma as well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao it's like when the State of Florida did a "correct the record" approach to wipe out county level medical examiners results and findings for Corona virus deaths.

No crisis if you fix the numbers!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Great News Everyone!!!

https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1260538422231314433

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm sure the corporate bailouts will continue over the next few years especially for travel related companies that have the right amount of lobbying investment in DC.

ABCG
May 12, 2020

MorrisBae posted:

Wait wait wait

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1259881393443598336

So BCG helps protect against herpes too?

Too bad the vaccine doesn't really have any patent protection and only cost 2 bucks to make. No insane country is going to jump on this.

twoday
May 4, 2005

ABCG posted:

Too bad the vaccine doesn't really have any patent protection and only cost 2 bucks to make. No insane country is going to jump on this.

Don't worry, someone is tweaking it to come up with a version that can be patented

https://twitter.com/RediffNews/status/1260086719493353474?s=19

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Stereotype posted:

Hidden behind all the recent "opening up with apprehension and caution" headlines is that there is a huge unavoidable catastrophic problem with not picking a single strategy: nothing will work unless we do it united. This is one specific instance where individualism cannot be tolerated if the end goal is to make things better. Clearly there is a political dispute about what to do right now, but "have people deny that there is a virus or threat and continue as normal" is completely incompatible with "people stay home because there is a threat and going out will endanger them while worsening the problem." If you try to split the middle then you get either a ruined economy AND maybe a deadly spreading virus too and that's it. There is no way that the middle appeasement route ends up with a good situation for anyone, you have to pick one and get everyone to do it and, if your theory of the crisis was correct, you get a good outcome. Our current strategy has no possible way of being positive at all and will be both a massive economic catastrophe as well as a horrorshow of death.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is Nueva York the normal way of saying that? That's like saying Port Vallarta.

Pardon my stupid semantics question.

Yes it’s Nueva York.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

this is just sad

https://twitter.com/lioneltop/status/1260125365990756352

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

sounds like the uk is good to open up

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1260541830405513218

healing coronavirus via thermal waters

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

i saw a mom and dad teaching a kid how to ride his bike and all three were wearing masks, that was really weird and sad to see

they were in the middle of a large empty park parking lot so I feel like that was overkill but

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Please do not laugh at this, I don't want cspam to get deleted

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

oxsnard posted:

Please do not laugh at this, I don't want cspam to get deleted

i hope her parents get a divorce

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/CBS_Herridge/status/1260538800738050048

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

I'm guessing this isn't just happening there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wow this is VERY concerning