Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

akkristor posted:

Wait... are they not just allowing you to repawn your ships during this PRE-ALPHA TESTING PHASE?

So you'll buy more ships, even multiples of the same one.

[Taxxe: Croberts the cat saying "only pledge, no refunds"]

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

communism bitch posted:

Oh but my favourite part was when he gave a tour of his ship. It was like "This is the crew quarters, you can't really do anything in here. This is the dining room - you can't do anything here, it's mostly for roleplaying. This is the medical bay - oh there's a car.... that shouldn't be here. The suspension is perfectly modelled, but yeah it's kind of clipping through the walls. You can't do much in the med bay except lay on the bed. Here's the drone control room - there are no drones in the game, but there's a chair you can sit in. I won't though because it's bugged. Here's the engine room, one day you'll be able to repair the engine and stuff, but that feature isn't in yet..."

I like these walkthroughs best when they're accompanied by a dawning look of despair and realization on the presenter's face

Oddly as Star Citizen heads towards year 10, that kind of self reflection seems to be increasingly rare among the remaining streamers

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

I like these walkthroughs best when they're accompanied by a dawning look of despair and realization on the presenter's face

Oddly as Star Citizen heads towards year 10, that kind of self reflection seems to be increasingly rare among the remaining streamers

I think the illusion of progress is helped by the overall assumption that obviously a game must be getting made because here's a company with hundreds of millions of dollars working on it. You can see "progress" and it's easy to extrapolate from the usual game development model that a game is on the way. In any other company it most likely would be.

Now if Somalia suddenly told the world "we're starting a space program" the world would respond, once the laughter died down, with "we'll believe it when we see it" because Somalia isn't known for its advanced science programs or for being particularly well-versed in the specifics of the requisite science. This is the exact scrutiny CIG should have faced from day one.

For some reason, in certain fields, sadly including gaming, there's a bizarre belief that there are no qualifications of any kind, and some guy can come out of nowhere and suddenly become the best. In certain fields this is possible - especially artistic endeavors like film, where an indie can do something great - and for all I know that's exactly why Chris thinks he can pull this off. Except making a game from an artistic angle (which Chris also can't do) isn't the same as seeing it through from an engineering perspective. It's that second part that turns this from ambitious project into obscenely obvious fraud, especially when you realize that nobody there is even remotely qualified to make even a fraction of what they've promised.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Toilets. Are we actually gonna have a pee and poo bar in the hud?

And how will a full bladder effect the player? What happens if i can´t get hold of a toilet? I guess a quick space pee will end in crimestat.

So many questions.

----------------------------------

While I don't have any actual information on this through CIG, I have played just about every survival game out there so I can probably give a solid idea of how it could work.

Currently, the game that handles this the best, in my opinion, is Scum. To be honest I wish SC had a whole metabolism system similar to Scum. Before you all chew off my head for saying that, let me explain.

In Scum there is a full metabolism system. This covers everything from diet all the way to exercise. Literally, everything that's already present on Microtech. As a player, you could eat anything you find and in a zombie apocalypse, you eat what you can get whether that be a box of chocolate or a big rear end raw pumpkin. Every item that you can consume has stats that influence calories and these calories are broken down even further. So you have your sugar intake, H2o, sodium intake, etc, etc. This means if you ate nothing but chocolate your sugar intake would be through the roof. That, in turn, causes something like a sugar crash where you get a big boost in energy, and then it's all gone. Much the same, if you kept that diet up your character, would gain weight and their stats would be reduced respectively. This is something that I feel needs to be in SC. If we have all these good options and they're going for realism it's kinda required, especially if they want us to actually take our time with this.

Carrying on this eventually leads to needing to defecate and urinate. This could be done in a number of ways. Bad food could lead to the runs which would put you on a sudden timer you have no knowledge of. A secondary outcome could be you ate too many mushrooms and your fiber is through the roof and you need to pinch off a brick. Or you could be a balanced person and overall be able to time things out properly with hours to spare.

The simplest way CIG could add this is simply put it as a release to food. If food goes in it has to go out. This would most likely be 2-4x that of the hunger meter. Meaning you would likely have to poo poo once every 4-8 hours of REAL time. At that rate you would just do it like you would before going on a long trip in real life You have a 2-4 hour drive you better male sure you use the bathroom. The same would apply here if we don't get a dedicated meter or timer. making GBS threads your pants is an interesting concept. In Scum you don't even do this, you just stop and pop a squat where you are, no toilet necessary. It's degrading and you are totally open for anyone to shoot you while you do this.

I honestly think it'll just be a meter and if you let it run out your dude will poo poo in his suit. Granted no one would care since it's a game, but it's likely CIG will make it so that suit is probably ruined or shop keepers or security would keep you out of populated areas due to smell

This sounds incredibly over complicated...

But what you're describing is a zombie apocalypse survival game set in a countryside where you need to struggle to stay alive. The gameplay boils down to finding resources to continue to live better, including food, weapons, etc.

In a way it makes sense in that kind of game about survival in that world. The zombie apocalypse stuff is pretty popular. They add in the extra fun of multiplayer chaos as well to get that whole Day Z thing going on on top of it as the centerpiece.

Now take that and add in a totally different world and theme. In Star Citizen, food is readily available, there are no zombies, and your game is supposedly about fighting guys in space and doing trade missions and gameplay boils down to getting more money so you can buy better ships and guns and equipment.

The game isn't about, or supposed to be about, survival. It's about mass wealth, getting a fleet, working with players to build a galactic empire.

Not even Squadron 52 is a survival game. It's a mission-based fmv game where you fly on a mission to achieve some goal to view the next associated cutscene based on however well you did. The survival mechanic is "did I survive the mission to see the cutscene", and I'm going to assume the further you progress the more ships you can fly and the better they are. You don't need to get any resources besides beating the missions to achieve success and reward.

Adding survival mechanics to a game where survival mechanics just don't make sense is silly. Needing to eat and drink stuff is arguably dumber than the argon level meters, because at least argon levels may somehow make sense in the science fiction theme.

But it's Star Citizen, a game that loves to punish its "players", so I hope the result of not peeing is you die. And when you respawn you go immediately to jail for it. That's the best way to deal with somebody who peed their pants during the last space mission.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 13, 2020

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

The Titanic posted:

But what you're describing is a zombie apocalypse survival game set in a countryside where you need to struggle to stay alive. The gameplay boils down to finding resources to continue to live better, including food, weapons, etc.

In a way it makes sense in that kind of game about survival in that world. The zombie apocalypse stuff is pretty popular. They add in the extra fun of multiplayer chaos as well to get that whole Day Z thing going on on top of it as the centerpiece.

Now take that and add in a totally different world and theme. In Star Citizen, food is readily available, there are no zombies, and your game is supposedly about fighting guys in space and doing trade missions and gameplay boils down to getting more money so you can buy better ships and guns and equipment.

The game isn't about, or supposed to be about, survival. It's about mass wealth, getting a fleet, working with players to build a galactic empire.

Not even Squadron 52 is a survival game. It's a mission-based fmv game where you fly on a mission to achieve some goal to view the next associated cutscene based on however well you did. The survival mechanic is "did I survive the mission to see the cutscene", and I'm going to assume the further you progress the more ships you can fly and the better they are. You don't need to get any resources besides beating the missions to achieve success and reward.

Adding survival mechanics to a game where survival mechanics just don't make sense is silly. Needing to eat and drink stuff is arguably dumber than the argon level meters, because at least argon levels may somehow make sense in the science fiction theme.

But it's Star Citizen, a game that loves to punish its "players", so I hope the result of not peeing is you die. And when you respawn you go immediately to jail for it. That's the best way to deal with somebody who peed their pants during the last space mission.

"When you nut in space it push you backward."

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Not enough bears?

Only just bearly

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Titanic posted:

Not even Squadron 52 is a survival game. It's a mission-based fmv game where you fly on a mission to achieve some goal to view the next associated cutscene based on however well you did.

Objection!

We don't know what SQ42 actually is. Nobody has seen it outside of CIG. For all we know it could be a dungeon hack 'n' slash.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pingiivi posted:

Star Citizen: making GBS threads your pants is an interesting concept.

concept sales have really gotten out of hand

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pixelate posted:

Winds in New Babbage hangars?

I love star citizen

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

The ground is a finished and released game.

Nah, I'm pretty sure a bear can hit the ground if it falls out of a tree accidentally; there's no way that a treeful of crobears could make a finished and released game on purpose, let alone by accident.

The ground's just accountability, their natural enemy.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Us in a few years

:colbert: When you come back to a game you played in alpha after getting married, raising three kids, and retiring, and the devs are really getting close to finishing the tools they need to develop the frameworks for the systems that will support the features that are almost ready to move out of the concept stage.

:v: "work began on preliminary research for concepting the new tool to organize workflows."

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

Is this a cry for help? what is happening with the poor fresh-from-college dudes inside CInotG?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]Us in a few years

I agree, it is a good meme to repost every few years in r/starcitizen

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I like how they say its poo poo this is happening in 3.9, and this is one of the things that can backfire on CIG, by using whole numbers they give the impression of a released playable product. If it was 0.39 you'd get a bit of a different attitude i think. But then, that would mean having a smaller number than ED.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Us in a few years

:colbert: When you come back to a game you played in alpha after getting married, raising three kids, and retiring, and the devs are really getting close to finishing the tools they need to develop the frameworks for the systems that will support the features that are almost ready to move out of the concept stage.

:v: "work began on preliminary research for concepting the new tool to organize workflows."

When did CIG add everything they planned to add? I presume this meme is from a different game?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Agony Aunt posted:

When did CIG add everything they planned to add? I presume this meme is from a different game?

No no, that's them in a few years. Presumably once they finishing concepting visualizations of paradigm-shifted workflow dynamics and gear-actualizing process engenderizations they'll suddenly pull the remaining 100 systems and dozens of gameplay loops together in a few months.

Have there been a downswing in people roleplaying their game experience lately? I haven't seen it as much where someone will write a science fiction novella of "I looked up from my excel spreadsheet where I manage the payroll of 100 real life people who make their actual living playing this space video game. My motion-captured concubine who is an actual girl using full body motion capture strolls up to me and leans over my desk and says 'Space is in trouble. Only your dashing Han Soloesque ingenuity can save us now.' Well I smile and say 'Baby, let me show you the power of a man who owns an Idris.' I immediately clip through the floor, violently smashing into my concubine and breaking both of her legs (each fracture fidelitiously recreated and requiring the ship surgeon to carefully replace them in a minigame so detailed they train real surgeons on it) and then my ship explodes and I respawn in the sun. Just imagine."

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Agony Aunt posted:

Of course it is about games that left early access and were successfully released. But as always, citizens have trouble discerning between what is and what might be.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

The Titanic posted:

Imagine making GBS threads yourself violently while Gary Oldman is giving you a medal because Mark "Old Man" Hamill's AI bugged out and he hogged the only ship toilet the entire flight back from the mission (because NPC's will of course also need to eat and poo poo)

Now THAT's fidelity

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dwesa posted:

But as always, citizens have trouble discerning between what is and what might be.

I think they don't understand game development.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

I think they don't understand game development.

Clearly, Star Citizen transcends causality

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pixelate posted:

Winds in New Babbage hangars?

Was the weight of the commando passenger holding the plane in place?

Yet another question for the person who is *allegedly* hacking on the wonderful physics engine, for the ships in particular. The thumb.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bootcha posted:

I stole goon valor:

https://massivelyop.com/2020/05/11/...or-squadron-42/

Y'know, as much of a chuff it is to be internet famous for a lovely papertrail post on reddit, I'm really, really sad that the Massively guy didn't bother to, y'know, ask CIG for a comment.

It's just an "Oh Reddit dug this up and it sound CA-RAAAZY POSSIBLE".

Not even a "Oh, uh, this was discovered by the guy making an overly obsessive art piece on Star Citizen criticism."

What do you think the odds are that any of this is true?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Star Citizen Patch 3.9.0s

The character should no longer become invisible and unusable.
Players should no longer spawn without their mobiGlas attached.

bravo roberts

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

colonelwest posted:

It's 100% true, I mean

Joe Blobers posted:

@Jon anyone who have played Wing Commanders know it fit totally console gameplay and SQ42 like SC can be played with gamepad: Interaction with mo-capped actors, selection menus and actions.
SQ42 is not tactical but close to action focus only, either with ships and now fps being part of SQ42/SC.

New consoles are more than capable to handle 4K like graphics which was the single limitation as developers can now make PC visual from start rather than focus on console hardware limitation then try to port it to PC’s.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

peter gabriel posted:

It's 100% true, I mean

loving :lol: man.

Right on cue... “We’ve always been at war with East Asia and a console port was always planned.”

The contact list for SC whales is going to be worth millions after this whole mess collapses. You could start the next billion dollar MLM company or the next Scientology off of it.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 13, 2020

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

The Titanic posted:

You are thinking of Star Citizen as a game. A game in a field of games. Where just because one game does something doesn't mean some other game should. Where great games are great because the developers leaned into their chosen mechanics and created something greater than the sum of its parts.

Where as Star Citizen is the childish notion that gaming is headed towards an ultimate game and Star Citizen is that game. So every mechanic in any popular game is in. Even as you said if it runs counter to the stated goals of the game. It like when you were a kid and mixing paint and trying to make a real cool colour and you keep added colours until you make poo brown. So meter feeding and jail is added until they make the gameplay equivalent of poo brown.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

90 days tops

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

It’s all just a vestige of the crazy dream of Star Citizen that took shape over all of those Ten For The Chairman episodes. It wasn’t going to be just a game, it was going to full on universe sim in which you could do almost anything, from being a space janitor to being a professional Sataball player. It would be so advanced, that other developers would retool their games to exist as mini-games within the PU.

Of course your character should have to eat and poo poo all in high fidelity, because that’s what people do in real life, and Star Citizen was going to break down the barriers between games and real life, and create the ultimate all-encompassing video game forever home for tedious Game Dads. But it was all going to somehow be fun and immersive, like when you needed to eat, you’d go down to Ten Forward and hang out with your crew of life-like NPCs and discuss your next mission.

That dream has mostly died over the past two years, as most of the Citizenry have baragained themselves down to the poor man’s Elite Dangerous; but there are still a few idiots who think that trying to model real life drudgery in Star Citizen will result in something other than having to manage a dozen broken survival meters.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Reports of my death have been highly exaggerated
I am a PC game.
And a console game

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Of course I called this way before blobers, Jan 2017

https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/821065104250830849

:smug:

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

peter gabriel posted:

Of course I called this way before blobers, Jan 2017

https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/821065104250830849

:smug:

That's a mean thing to say about the PS4

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

I do believe Ice/Firesprite is involved in something they want to keep on the surprise/quiet side of development. CIG was quick to namedrop contractors like Moon Collider when it came to important, even boring core, features of Star Citizen. In fact, if it had something to do with Star Citizen, we likely would have heard about it long ago. Even Illfonic was a badly kept secret. The fact CIG has been strictly mum about it for 3 years, speaks to me that it's somehow involved with SQ42. That Ice/Firesprite are in the UK, and relatively close to CIG UK, also adds to that possibility. However, CIG's development priorities at all offices has jumped back and forth from "SQ42 NOW" and "SC NOW" to the point it doesn't make that a certainty. Tax breaks are cited in the loan charge, but I don't know how much the tax breaks would outweigh the loan if they do.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sample_text posted:

How to explain Star Citizen is a scam for the average joe:
Remember Anthem?

Probably my favorite thing about my SC fetish is how indescribable it is to normal people who play videogames. Anthem is easy: shiny E3 demo, big name dev with past glory, and the publisher was hoping it'd sell shovelware based on these two things. Unfortunately, much like kickstarter failures/scams, it's not a new thing. The only tricky part is first gauging if they were overly fond of Mass Effect 2, in which case you don't want to get into this discussion or you'll have to sit through 30 minutes of the No True Bioware defense.

SC is special. You can easily describe that it is to be avoided, but you'd need a whiteboard and a long amount of time to dive through just how hosed the whole thing is. That's why it's the greatest game of our generation.

Buy an Idris.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kilus aof posted:

It like when you were a kid and mixing paint and trying to make a real cool colour and you keep added colours until you make poo brown. So meter feeding and jail is added until they make the gameplay equivalent of poo brown.

So, some kind of poo poo event horizon. The waveform collapses after some kind of Fecal Chandrasekhar Limit?

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

THEY SAID CONSOLE WAS THE FUTURE

THEY WERE RIGHT

I AM A CONSOLE GAME

AND I AM A CRYSIS MOD

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

time for another engine switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That video didn't specify whether a mismanaged company full of junior developers can also achieve that level of visuals. Does Unreal Engine have safeguards to prevent ships from flying away if you attempt to walk on their ramps?