Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The older Mazda interiors integrated the screen, they switched to that layout later.

Personally I think it looks fine and don't see why you'd ever want the screen to retract - that sort of mechanism is just another thing to fail as the car ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I actually like the tacked on screen in Mazdas because when you integrate the screen properly, the originally minimal dashboard becomes fatter to accommodate it. Of course having a retractable screen would be ideal, like in the Audi S3 which has a similarly minimal design if you don't count the screen, but that's just unnecessary extra poo poo in a Miata.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I specifically discarded any car with a stuck on tablet for infotainment screen when I went new car shopping. It's such an ibvious cost cut and looks horrid in most cases. Toyota Corolla is a prime example.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I doubt it makes any difference cost wise.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I remember reading that it had to do with making it easier to change out the screen/unit for newer/larger alternatives without having to redesign the inside of the dash or the wiring or anything like that.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 13, 2020

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Mazda did it for ergonomic reasons. That specific spot enabled better driver awareness than other locations. Mazdas still have things like physical buttons you can build muscle memory for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mazda's "tablet on a normal dash" design philosophy would make so much more sense if the tablet disconnected from that like a docking station; but as far as I know that isn't the case.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dear god that s class is bad.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

LibCrusher posted:

The new 2021 Hyundai S-Klasse

It's clearly a Kia

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

Mazda did it for ergonomic reasons. That specific spot enabled better driver awareness than other locations. Mazdas still have things like physical buttons you can build muscle memory for.

Wonderful for being night blinded unless there is an easy turn off somewhere. That just another thing that pisses me off with the multitude of screens new cars are being blighted with - turning the loving things off so my night vision isn't utterly hosed in the country areas. My Levorg's got an insanely stupid series of pokes and prods to shut down both screens so that turning down the dash lights actually can be effective.

My night vision isnt bad (It's always been pretty good) but it's not what it used to be. I very much notice the difference being in the old shitbox Forester which has gently caress all dash glare

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My G37 let you turn off all the interior lights. It was weird. Who needs a speedo!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Saab famously had an 'everything off bar the speedo' night vision mode in a lot of their cars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wonderful for being night blinded unless there is an easy turn off somewhere. That just another thing that pisses me off with the multitude of screens new cars are being blighted with - turning the loving things off so my night vision isn't utterly hosed in the country areas. My Levorg's got an insanely stupid series of pokes and prods to shut down both screens so that turning down the dash lights actually can be effective.

My night vision isnt bad (It's always been pretty good) but it's not what it used to be. I very much notice the difference being in the old shitbox Forester which has gently caress all dash glare

It's very easy to turn off screens in most modern cars (the Golf is like one button) and most have a low light invert mode that is not very bright as well.

The other reason that tablets live above the dash besides vision/human factors stuff is that you'll notice the center vents for the HVAC below that. If you move the tablet down in to the center stack, you have to move the vents, or the screen gets really low like in the Mk 7 Golf. if you get behind the dash there's a shitload of stuff going on, and the HVAC vents and plumbing take up a huge amount of space.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's too bad the new Miata doesn't have an option for no screen at all with something basic like a single din music/bluetooth player. Most people don't buy Miatas for the entertainment system to begin with it's not about that, leave it for the touring trim automatic cars or something.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

They need to start using backlight dimming HDR tech in cars so only the in use areas of the screens are bright. I sure there are issues with getting the tech that durable though.

That S class is an abomination. The new interior is clearly a cost cutting measure they think they can get away with because people like Tesla's giant screen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

probably minimal cost savings and if you're really that in to jinba ittai above all else you are probably not buying new.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's too bad the new Miata doesn't have an option for no screen at all with something basic like a single din music/bluetooth player. Most people don't buy Miatas for the entertainment system to begin with it's not about that, leave it for the touring trim automatic cars or something.

Backup cameras are required so some sort of screen has to go somewhere. Economies of scale means it's cheaper/easier to just use the same $40 LCD on every car.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

They need to start using backlight dimming HDR tech in cars so only the in use areas of the screens are bright. I sure there are issues with getting the tech that durable though.

That S class is an abomination. The new interior is clearly a cost cutting measure they think they can get away with because people like Tesla's giant screen.

I think Hyundai/Kia was talking about putting OLED screens in their cars

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

No, people specifically like the giant Tesla screen snd seek it out. Usability and safety wise they're disasters but normies love that poo poo

I guarantee that the stuck on iPad screen design everyone's doing comes from overwhelming focus group approval and not any sort of cost savings

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Backup cameras are required so some sort of screen has to go somewhere. Economies of scale means it's cheaper/easier to just use the same $40 LCD on every car.

Jesus the nanny bullshit is getting ridiculous. Next it's gonna be air compressors required in every car with a Hummer style system to automatically inflate tires when they're low because idiots can't be bothered to inflate their drat tires.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, that's the wrong attitude to have. Mandating of safety features means manufacturers can't gate keep $75 of electronics behind the $6000 entertainment and don't kill your neighbor's kid package.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My attitude is that I don't need a back up camera because I'm not a moron, but if it saves people from morons then so be it I guess.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I like backup cameras. I'm not a moron either, but I can't see through my own trunk. The camera gives you an awareness that looking out the window can't.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I get that, but it's being mandated because of morons that can't be bothered to properly look behind them before they back up and run over grandma.

[e] I understand they are very useful especially in large trucks and SUVs, but I don't think they are necessary for mid size and small cars. That being said, if there's already a drat screen in the car might as well have one, but now it just means screens are permanently mandated for back up cameras and aren't going anywhere.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 13, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It's being mandated because it's a good idea, especially in this era of ever shrinking greenhouses. But you do you, want to rail against ABS and airbags next?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's still the automatic transmission that I hate. You should only be allowed to drive a manual unless you have a doctor's note saying you are medically unable to work a clutch.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Backup cameras are also more prevalent because other safety measures such as the dreaded “high belt line” makes visibility worse, and therefore necessitates the backup camera. Which is, again, a good thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I get that, but it's being mandated because of morons that can't be bothered to properly look behind them before they back up and run over grandma.

[e] I understand they are very useful especially in large trucks and SUVs, but I don't think they are necessary for mid size and small cars. That being said, if there's already a drat screen in the car might as well have one, but now it just means screens are permanently mandated for back up cameras and aren't going anywhere.

Just because a car is small doesn't mean it has fantastic sightlines. Put the top up on a Miata and take a second look about how much you can see out the back.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
You know what I really like on my car but thought I'd never use due to it feeling super gimmicky but actually use almost all the time now? Automatic parking. Out of all the times it has only failed once, and it was due to it being a bit optimistic with the parking space size. All I have to do is control the brake/gas. Does backing into perpendicular spots as well. Perfectly.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 13, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Q_res posted:

It's being mandated because it's a good idea, especially in this era of ever shrinking greenhouses. But you do you, want to rail against ABS and airbags next?

Yeah sure

Sorry I just don't like touch screens in sports cars is that ok :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Q_res posted:

It's being mandated because it's a good idea, especially in this era of ever shrinking greenhouses.

It's a pretty terrible fix for a problem that doesn't need to exist though, right? Car interiors are always nice places to be when it doesn't feel like you're sat in a cave looking out into the world.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Just because a car is small doesn't mean it has fantastic sightlines. Put the top up on a Miata and take a second look about how much you can see out the back.

I've owned four Miatas and managed just fine :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

poo poo take a look out the back of the new Mazda3 hatch.

One reason I like the Golf is that the sight lines are really good, but the back up camera is still useful for close-in work and making sure I have avoided a particularly obnoxious handrail when I back up.

Yeah sure

Sorry I just don't like touch screens in sports cars is that ok :colbert:

no ones forcing you to have a touch screen in a sports car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a pretty terrible fix for a problem that doesn't need to exist though, right? Car interiors are always nice places to be when it doesn't feel like you're sat in a cave looking out into the world.

it all depends on how much crashworthiness you are willing to sacrifice to that end, or how much money you are willing to spend. There was great visibility in my aunt's ED civic but gently caress getting in any kind of side impact in that car. 10mph and the door is gonna intrude in to your side.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no ones forcing you to have a touch screen in a sports car

Mazda is! When I was looking to buy a new car I seriously considered a Miata and was pretty bummed about that. That's why I thought it would be nice to have a no screen option but if cameras are mandated that will never happen oh well.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Except the screen in a Miata isn't even touch if you're going more than 5 mph.

It's the one thing I like a lot about Mazda. You use the hockey puck controller, after a little bit it becomes second nature.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Screen/touch screen, lets not argue semantics.

I'd like Mazda's system just fine in a CX5 I just don't want it in a Miata. That's all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Screen/touch screen, lets not argue semantics.

I'd like Mazda's system just fine in a CX5 I just don't want it in a Miata. That's all.

no one is forcing you to have a screen in your sports car

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol

I could always just buy a new Miata and remove it with a hammer I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can buy a NC which has zero touch screens or any of myriad cars produced that do not have touch screens