Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Even embracing megadeath, at some point the government is going to realise that the only way to drag the country out of this mess is public spending at unprecedented levels.

Or more austerity they might just try that while the public blames the lefties because the papers told them to, yeah, probably that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Austerity under current conditions will actually cause societal collapse so I'm fine with getting another opportunity to redefine everything after Corbynism failed.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

weren't the trains already sneakily nationalised? most of us are also basically getting a living wage from the government which should really just be a thing anyway.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah all the franchises got real hosed up but I think they mostly just got bailouts rather than nationalised.

London's buses are currently free and council operated though which is good, despite the appalling casualties of their staff.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

namesake posted:

Yeah all the franchises got real hosed up but I think they mostly just got bailouts rather than nationalised.

London's buses are currently free and council operated though which is good, despite the appalling casualties of their staff.

My friend's dad recently died and he was a London bus driver...I haven't asked him what he died of though

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

It's insane. It would take less than a minute of critical thinking to realize that pretending the roni isn't real and trying to open the country up is actually bad for the economy. Do they think normal people are going to go shopping when the death toll is over 100,000 thousand and we all witnessed relatives dying?

we don't even need to guess because america is doing just that and they're loving themselves over horribly.

I think this denial of reality has to be something more than just about the economy but just a sheer terror of the status quo changing.
the plutocrats ruling society are really, really loving dumb and there's evidence that some of them dont understand the germ theory of disease

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

the plutocrats ruling society are really, really loving dumb and there's evidence that some of them dont understand the germ theory of disease

Inbreeding is a horrible thing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

like nevermind indirect or circumstantial evidence suggesting this. there's those accounts where boris johnson believes sickness is a moral or personal failing lmao

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

like nevermind indirect or circumstantial evidence suggesting this. there's those accounts where boris johnson believes sickness is a moral or personal failing lmao

i wonder if he's changed his mind about that now probably not

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dravs posted:

Even embracing megadeath, at some point the government is going to realise that the only way to drag the country out of this mess is public spending at unprecedented levels.

Or more austerity they might just try that while the public blames the lefties because the papers told them to, yeah, probably that.

it depends what they want, if what they want is to create a more unequal state with no protections for capital to rampage around then they dont actually need a functioning society, just muscle to protect themselves

and a LOT of tories think of this as the most moral way to run a country too

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

i wonder if he's changed his mind about that now probably not

Funnily enough, it does actually look like he and Cummings actually learned something from catching a life-threatening illness, which is why the right-wing media are presently briefing against the government.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
How could they possibly have known that a deadly virus was unpleasant, all they had to go on was the testimonies of qualified medical professionals and the members of the public who had contracted it. None of those people took ppe at oxford so how could they be trusted to know anything

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i doubt johnson has empathy for oxford graduates either

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

namesake posted:

I think it was Great Western that was temporarily nationalised whilst they sought a new parasite to run it

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Buzzfeed posted:

Hancock has been on the receiving end of multiple negative briefings from government figures, including a Sunday Times story calling him “Matt Handjob”

Sorry what, did The Sunday Times actually print "Matt Handjob".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rustybear posted:

Sorry what, did The Sunday Times actually print "Matt Handjob".

https://twitter.com/roddy_campbell/status/1246762357130395648?s=21

It's true. All of it, it's all true.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1

quote:

People from Asian and black groups are at markedly increased risk of in-hospital death from COVID-19, and contrary to some prior speculation this is only partially attributable to pre-existing clinical risk factors or deprivation; further research into the drivers of this association is therefore urgently required. Deprivation is also a major risk factor with, again, little of the excess risk explained by co-morbidity or other risk factors.
Turns out, being poor and off-white kills you in British hospitals, statistically speaking.

No wonder Boris still walks.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SelenicMartian posted:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1

Turns out, being poor and off-white kills you in British hospitals, statistically speaking.

No wonder Boris still walks.

It's literally more deadly than having had cancer or having HIV, in covid-19 terms.

Especially looking forrign, being poor is a bad preexisting condition but not that fatal.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

white supremacist kingdom in too racist to treat minorities shocker

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

• Senior ministers have expressed fury at what one described as “weeks of insane briefing” to the media, accusing government hawks of trying to force Johnson into relaxing more measures, and claiming some newspapers were pursuing an anti-lockdown agenda because of fears about sales.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the power that newspapers have in britain is hilarious

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Squizzle posted:

It owns that we're ruled by the whims of buggy whip manufacturers

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Squizzle posted:

People from other countries are amazed when they find out a major part of TV news is telling everyone what the papers say every day

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Squizzle posted:

There's a reason why a rule by media can also be called a mediocracy.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/tamewhale/status/1259899459380658176

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

her son already does this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/hsjeditor/status/1260469435183357954?s=21

what (and I mean this in the nicest and most respectful way) the gently caress is going on in the U.K.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Can't wait until the secure and private NHS location tracking app proves, less than secure or private. It's honestly inevitable.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/hsjeditor/status/1260469435183357954?s=21

what (and I mean this in the nicest and most respectful way) the gently caress is going on in the U.K.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Can you imagine what life would currently be like had we already left the EU and we weren't still on friendly terms until the end of the year?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The EU has poo poo the bed so badly with their response that they've turned loving Varoufakis into a Brexiteer lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have a quick question on imperial nostalgia. I’m an outsider, but it looks like some UK institutions are consciously harkening back to imperial glory. I’m wondering if that’s the right impression and how widespread it is?

If you look at Royal Marines commercials, they seem to be recruiting ads for colonial policing, and it comes off as really strange. The message is more or less what you’d expect to see in the 1880’s: “Join for danger and adventure, bringing law and order to far-flung lands!”. That seems like a really strange pitch in 2020 if it’s for public consumption, and as government policy, the Royal Navy and Marines as viable tools for expeditionary warfare and gunboat diplomacy is insane.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yQWK8h42U

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuk5bWa-C8w

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5f8mG4KvqMw

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bryter posted:

The EU has poo poo the bed so badly with their response that they've turned loving Varoufakis into a Brexiteer lol

But, uhh, he's always been a Brexiteer, more or less.

Euroxiteer at least.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a quick question on imperial nostalgia. I’m an outsider, but it looks like some UK institutions are consciously ... insane.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a quick question on imperial nostalgia. I’m an outsider, but it looks like some UK institutions are consciously harkening back to imperial glory. I’m wondering if that’s the right impression and how widespread it is?

If you look at Royal Marines commercials, they seem to be recruiting ads for colonial policing, and it comes off as really strange. The message is more or less what you’d expect to see in the 1880’s: “Join for danger and adventure, bringing law and order to far-flung lands!”. That seems like a really strange pitch in 2020 if it’s for public consumption, and as government policy, the Royal Navy and Marines as viable tools for expeditionary warfare and gunboat diplomacy is insane.

i dunno if you saw the recent VE day stuff but british culture is essentially Hey, Remember When We Were In A Big Fight? distilled down and injected into a ham sandwich

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Private Speech posted:

But, uhh, he's always been a Brexiteer, more or less.

Euroxiteer at least.

He's always been "remain and reform", despite his criticisms. That's the whole point of Diem25.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh, I take it you didn't hear about plans for the scramble for Africa 2.0?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bust Rodd posted:

considering the shameful history of this country, you absolutely do not have to be respectful. Our press on the other hand are probably spinning this into something positive or somehow the fault of the EU/immigrants/Labour depending on the outlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

considering the shameful history of this country, you absolutely do not have to be respectful. Our press on the other hand are probably spinning this into something positive or somehow the fault of the EU/immigrants/Labour depending on the outlet

Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak