Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
mass effect doesnt need an HD remaster imo, the game stands on his own even now. Now if they took the 3 games and stitched it together to form one mega game i would be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Kaysette posted:

ME3 has the two best villains in the series: Kai Leng and Marauder Shields.

Pretty sure Marauder Shields is the true hero of ME3. He died trying to protect us from seeing the ending.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Remake ME1 in the ME3 engine and I’ll replay it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

dogstile posted:

Mass Effect, the game where apparently you were a piece of poo poo if you wanted the ending to be more than three colours and then they wrote in an additional "you don't like my ending? gently caress you everyone dies" ending like massive children.

They wrote an ending where everyone dies so that refusing all the choices would be a valid option

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

2house2fly posted:

They wrote an ending where everyone dies so that refusing all the choices would be a valid option

nah

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Kaysette posted:

Remake ME1 in the ME3 engine and I’ll replay it.

but still plays like me1 :unsmigghh:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Eastbound Spider posted:

but still plays like me1 :unsmigghh:
As long as my Vanguard can turn his pistol into an obliterator of worlds, I´d be fine with that.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

dogstile posted:

Mass Effect, the game where apparently you were a piece of poo poo if you wanted the ending to be more than three colours and then they wrote in an additional "you don't like my ending? gently caress you everyone dies" ending like massive children.

Not only that, but they actually created an entirely new mechanic for how to make a choice just to spite people who made fun of the original ending by trying to shoot the Catalyst instead.

The rest of the ending just feels incompetent, but I still can't get over how petty that specific part is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They probably figured people would find it funny

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Based on the reactions by the devs and ~gaming press~ to the :qq: entitled gamers' :qq: criticism at the time, I'm pretty sure it was petty more than anything else.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah with the context of how the dev studio was reacting, it came across like babyrage "YOU DON'T LIKE IT? WELL gently caress YOU" rather than anything funny.

But yeah gently caress the gamers who put 100's of hours into a game telling you that your choices matter expecting more than the three colours.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Don’t forget how they kept doubling and tripling down on how many awards they’d wonpaid for.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The refuse the deal with star child ending is objectively the correct choice. Everything else is a clear gently caress you, using in universe knowledge. You have no reason to trust star kid and there is no reason only those three options should exist. It doesn't make sense that star kid would be doing anything other than lie to you, so only giving the reapers the finger and entrusting fate to the next generation is the only correct option.

But also indoctrination theory made sense until they patched and updated the story.

Anyway Anthem sucks except for making a Colossus build focused on stacking melee damage multipliers. That's kind of fun.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The entire extended cut (and the following DLC) were packed full of desperate fan-pandering so it makes more sense to me that the idea of shooting the kid was intended as like a fun easter egg than that Bioware decided that was the bit where they would secretly let a tiny minority of players know how they really felt

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I made sourdough bread with my own starter a couple weeks ago and it turned out great

I'll try it again this weekend and post results

I had a couple failed sourdoughs before that but I think it was because the starter wasn't mature enough yet

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

The entire extended cut (and the following DLC) were packed full of desperate fan-pandering so it makes more sense to me that the idea of shooting the kid was intended as like a fun easter egg than that Bioware decided that was the bit where they would secretly let a tiny minority of players know how they really felt
The Citadel DLC was fan service. The extended cut wasn't, it "fixed" the endings because they originally left a bunch of stuff unclear or open to interpretation in a way that apparently wasn't intended or considered by the devs and which would have torched the franchise even harder (bombs fell everyone died). It also wasn't exactly a secret that players didn't like the starkid and made videos shooting it.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

The Fattest PI posted:

Is there anything out there right now that can scratch my co-op shooter itch like mass effect 3 multiplayer did? I never even played the mass effect single player, the multiplayer was great I liked the way you could upgrade your weapons and build your loadout and stuff.

Risk of Rain 2, but it's kind of a loot n shoot

Coop gameplay is fun though

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

orcane posted:

The Citadel DLC was fan service. The extended cut wasn't, it "fixed" the endings because they originally left a bunch of stuff unclear or open to interpretation in a way that apparently wasn't intended or considered by the devs and which would have torched the franchise even harder (bombs fell everyone died). It also wasn't exactly a secret that players didn't like the starkid and made videos shooting it.

The very existence of the extended cut is fan-pandering, never mind specifics like the Destroy ending being "clarified" to be not as destructive as was implied originally

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

2house2fly posted:

The very existence of the extended cut is fan-pandering, never mind specifics like the Destroy ending being "clarified" to be not as destructive as was implied originally

it feels like there's a slight distinction between fan-pandering and "please don't abandon our franchise in droves"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

2house2fly posted:

The very existence of the extended cut is fan-pandering

Eh, it's pretty clear from some conversations I had with the Bioware writers before the Extended Cut was announced that they were extremely unhappy with the ending as it shipped. I think they wanted the chance to do it better.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

General Battuta posted:

Eh, it's pretty clear from some conversations I had with the Bioware writers before the Extended Cut was announced that they were extremely unhappy with the ending as it shipped. I think they wanted the chance to do it better.

Hey, if we are really lucky in the HD remake, they will redo the ending properly and make it canon ;)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

I made sourdough bread with my own starter a couple weeks ago and it turned out great

I'll try it again this weekend and post results

I had a couple failed sourdoughs before that but I think it was because the starter wasn't mature enough yet

This is the content i crave.

No irony

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

the canonical ending is destruction then the citadel DLC is shepard's hell

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

StarBegotten posted:

Hey, if we are really lucky in the HD remake, they will redo the ending properly and make it canon ;)

the extremely cynical thing to do if you had a Mass Effect 4 in the hopper is to do just that and then announce both the new ending and a direct(ish) sequel on the same day

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Pattonesque posted:

the extremely cynical thing to do if you had a Mass Effect 4 in the hopper is to do just that and then announce both the new ending and a direct(ish) sequel on the same day

My thoughts exactly! This is EA after all and to be honest it would solve the biggest issue they have with restarting the IP.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how on earth after the past 3 years are you people capable of this level of optimism about the competence of bioware and EA

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

"Lots of speculation from everyone" -- Mac Walters, Lead Writer of Mass Effect 3

:speculate:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cowcaster posted:

how on earth after the past 3 years are you people capable of this level of optimism about the competence of bioware and EA

Seriously. It's worrying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

just pull a "it was all a dream" and reboot the series from ME2

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
WHy not just make a good game with a new IP?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Iron Crowned posted:

WHy not just make a good game with a new IP?

they did... that's why this thread exists

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaysette posted:

they did... that's why this thread exists

I heard Anthem was not good

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Iron Crowned posted:

I heard Anthem was not good

actually it's good

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Anthem is only good in a universe where things are somehow even worse. No specific context just worse in general.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The anthem thread is good*. The anthem game is bad.

*good when the topic is cooking and baking

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is this where I tell you I went back and played another couple of hours of Anthem to see if I could finish it?

Turns out I was only halfway through and peaced out but not before having multiple Unreal engine pop in level graphical gently caress ups.

Game bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zoig posted:

Anthem is only good in a universe where things are somehow even worse. No specific context just worse in general.

I guess somehow Anthem could be the cure for Covid-19

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
DA4 will legit kill whats left of Bioware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/05/15/may-anthem-update/