Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

large hands posted:

Made the NYT lemon cardamom sweet buns for mothers day:

Recipe link please, this sounds amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Complaints were made that I’ve been doing the boring lazy bread recently and to be fair my kids have a point so I did an effort milk bread which was started off last night using a minimum of yeast.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Complaints were made that I’ve been doing the boring lazy bread recently and to be fair my kids have a point so I did an effort milk bread which was started off last night using a minimum of yeast.

This looks fantastic. I can almost feel the crust flaking off of the soft insides.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

princess_peach posted:

Recipe link please, this sounds amazing!

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019242-lemon-sweet-rolls-with-cream-cheese-icing

in case you get stuck at the (seemingly random) paywall:

INGREDIENTS:

FOR THE DOUGH

1 (2 1/4 teaspoons/7 grams) package active dry yeast
1 cup buttermilk, warmed to 100 degrees
¼ cup/50 grams granulated sugar
½ cup/113 grams unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cardamom
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 to 4 ½ cups/512 to 576 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface

FOR THE FILLING

1 cup/201 grams granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
¼ teaspoon cardamom
Pinch kosher salt
6 tablespoons/85 grams unsalted butter, very soft, plus more for the parchment paper

FOR THE ICING

6 ounces/170 grams cream cheese, softened
1 cup/123 grams powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more as needed

PREPARATION
Make the dough: Combine the yeast, buttermilk and 1 tablespoon sugar and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add the butter, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, lemon zest, salt and cardamom to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on low to combine. Add the eggs and buttermilk mixture, and stir until combined.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly add 4 cups/510 grams of the flour and stir until all of the flour is moistened. Switch to the dough hook, and mix for 5 more minutes. The dough will be soft and billowy, and it will stick to the bottom of the bowl. Add more flour if the dough seems very, very soft.

Transfer the dough to a fresh, lightly oiled bowl. Turn the dough to coat it with oil, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Alternately, refrigerate the dough before rising for up to 24 hours and proceed with the recipe as written. The rolls may need a slightly longer second rise.

Make the filling: Combine the sugar, lemon zest, cardamom and a pinch of salt. Use your fingers to rub the lemon zest into the sugar.
Assemble the rolls: Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and butter the pan and paper. Gently deflate the dough by folding it over itself a few times in the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat or roll it into a rectangle about 12-by-16-inches and 1/4-inch thick. Gently spread the soft butter over the dough, and sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over the top. Roll the dough into a tight log and use a serrated knife or length of floss to cut the log into 12 even pieces.

Place the rolls into the prepared pan, cover, and let rise again until doubled in size, about 1 hour. You can also refrigerate the rolls before the second rise for up to 24 hours, if you’d like to bake them later. Let the rolls rise at room temperature until doubled in size before baking
Finish the rolls: Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the rolls are golden and cooked through. While the rolls are baking, make the icing: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. The icing should be quite thick, but spreadable. Add a little more lemon juice if necessary.
Let the rolls cool for about 5 minutes, then spread the icing over the top. Enjoy warm.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I made some buttermilk quick bread last night to go with dinner. It was nice to make something yummy and fast and to not have to think about yeast. I made the plain version thinking my picky four year old would like it. He did not. Next time I’d load it up with pesto or Asiago cheese or some other yummy option.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-buttermilk-quick-bread-with-10-different-variations-164621

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My go-to for that kind of thing is drop biscuits in a greased mini-muffin tin. The crispy outside to soft inside ratio is more akin to hush puppies than any sort of biscuit or bread, making little three-bite things that every bite has crunchy biscuit outside attached to it. From deciding you want them to done takes about 20 minutes.

They are basically perfect.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Staryberry posted:

I made some buttermilk quick bread last night to go with dinner. It was nice to make something yummy and fast and to not have to think about yeast. I made the plain version thinking my picky four year old would like it. He did not. Next time I’d load it up with pesto or Asiago cheese or some other yummy option.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-buttermilk-quick-bread-with-10-different-variations-164621

Nice! One good thing about neutral breads though is that they're so versatile! Slice it and fry in butter, make french toast, use with savoury or sweet spreads alike, etc.

Made some sourdough butter rolls. I didn't want to use my dwindling egg supply on a wash so I basted them twice with butter - portioned and rolled them out, brushed, let them ferment, then another brush before going in the oven.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I cut into the platted bread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I made this focaccia yesterday from the BA recipe. No microplane or brush so my garlic is big and poorly distributed. The dough was way stickier and seemed wetter compared to the videos in the recipe, but it turned out good after the bake! I’m going to make some sandwiches with it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
One of my starters has those black specks on again, so here's s picture. I only started it yesterday, and kept it in a box on my PC for warmth. It's the same place and container as last time it happened, I think I messed that up getting it too hot, went very runny. It had the right smell and after I scoped off the dark stuff it rose for a bit, as much success as I've seen for weeks.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Hi everyone, just discovered this thread and wanted to join in.

I just started making my own sourdough as something I've wanted to do for a long time. Quarantine finally pushed me to do it.

Cultured my own starter from 50/50 ap/rye. Used it after about five days of feeding twice daily. Here are the results of baking for about a month now.

My first batch:

Second:

Third:

crumb of the right loaf:

All loaves have been some sort of ap/spelt/rye mix. I'm currently fond of primarily ap flour, with moderate spelt and rye mixed in.

I would greatly appreciate anyone that could give me some feedback on things like crumb structure, though I should have taken notes during each batch. What determines the size of the holes in the crumb? What is optimal?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

Hi everyone, just discovered this thread and wanted to join in.

I would greatly appreciate anyone that could give me some feedback on things like crumb structure, though I should have taken notes during each batch. What determines the size of the holes in the crumb? What is optimal?

That all looks great! Hole size will depend on how much you work the dough (and how) after fermentation, whether a dough is enriched, how well the gluten is developed, etc. What’s optimal is entirely subjective. Most like to see a fair distribution of size, sort of evenly scattered across the bread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BizarroAzrael posted:

One of my starters has those black specks on again, so here's s picture. I only started it yesterday, and kept it in a box on my PC for warmth. It's the same place and container as last time it happened, I think I messed that up getting it too hot, went very runny. It had the right smell and after I scoped off the dark stuff it rose for a bit, as much success as I've seen for weeks.

Do you have the lid covered but with something at least semi-breathable? (a loose jar lid works well.)

Also the top of a PC doesn't seem like the cleanest enviornment.

Starters don't need to be at 80 degrees or anything. I started mine on a kitchen counter that rarely got over 71 degrees.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Sealed plastic tub with clips, I gather that by opening it twice a day it gets to breath enough. Between the tub and the box it's in I don't think it's at any increased risk of contaminants.

And in the UK my kitchen is probably colder than that.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
make some sweet choux pastry with a little cinnamon. waffle it. cover with cinnamon sugar: waffle churros!

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

The specks are in the flour, you only see them when a high-hydration batter starts to dry out at the surface. You'd see them if you made a pancake batter and left some of it out overnight by accident.

Mix up your new starter once daily with a clean spoon then scrape down the sides of the jar. About 2 days in (UK kitchen temp wise - cold) you get a slight rise from bacterial growth, ignore this and keep on mixing once daily. Keep doing this until you've seen the starter double in size again (or see the remnants of a rise on the sides of the jar). This has taken up to a week for me sometimes. If you see hooch on top mix it back in. The only thing you need to be wary of is fluffy mould growth.

Then it is ready to start feeding, leaving at least until it has doubled again, then discarding half, and repeat. I've done this in my cold UK kitchen a few times.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah while I get the apprehension surrounding mold and potential aflatoxins, mold growth is obvious (and that isn't it as the above poster said). Good smell, no fuzzies is a pretty good rule.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My teenagers did that “oh wow this is actually good” thing so I’m going to be doing increasingly elaborate stuff just to mess with their minds.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That looks like an alien dinosaur turd, but in a good and delicious way.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh you wait till it’s eaten and I do a 12 strand octopus...

The insides of this one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flipperwaldt posted:

That looks like an alien dinosaur turd, but in a good and delicious way.

You don't have any Jewish friends, do you?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I’m doing a starter for the first time this week and I’m currently on day 3. Things seem like they’re moving along way quicker than expected, and I’m not sure if something is wrong.

Day 1 I used 4oz each of whole wheat flour and water, feeding with 4 oz of AP and water on day 2 and 3 (today). Haven’t discarded any yet.

This is where I’m at now having done the Day 3 feeding 3 hours ago. It was at the top of the black tape after I stirred and fed it and it’s already close to overflowing. Is this ok?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking primarily of recipes from FWSY, will using bread flour change the outcome of my sourdough recipes I’ve been using All purpose in? And if so-how?

I’ve got all purpose flour, but I use bread flour for my pizza dough-and stores are out of bread flour around here. I make a bit of pizza so I pulled the plug on a 50# bag of King Arthur sir Lancelot.

I’m just wondering if I can safely use that instead of AP in sourdough recipes without any negative effects.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It'll be fine you might have to up the hydration level a bit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

I’m doing a starter for the first time this week and I’m currently on day 3. Things seem like they’re moving along way quicker than expected, and I’m not sure if something is wrong.

Day 1 I used 4oz each of whole wheat flour and water, feeding with 4 oz of AP and water on day 2 and 3 (today). Haven’t discarded any yet.

This is where I’m at now having done the Day 3 feeding 3 hours ago. It was at the top of the black tape after I stirred and fed it and it’s already close to overflowing. Is this ok?

Man that's a huge amount of starter. Get rid of half of it at least before you feed it again. Use that as preferment or starter for any bread or bread product. But it looks good. Just, like, come up with a plan so you don't need to waste a bunch.

I've never seen someone who owned one of the permanent bulk barn containers before.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Man that's a huge amount of starter. Get rid of half of it at least before you feed it again. Use that as preferment or starter for any bread or bread product. But it looks good. Just, like, come up with a plan so you don't need to waste a bunch.

I've never seen someone who owned one of the permanent bulk barn containers before.

It has overflowed in like the 90 mins since I posted, so I’ve discarded about half now.

I’ve been following this guide, are the measurements in this too large?

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-sourdough-starter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-47337

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This thread is fantastic :) Some questions from a newbie breadmaker who has a few no-knead sourdough loaves under his belt and is looking to improve:

#1: I’m struggling to get a good scoring on my no-knead sourdoughs, even using the sharp-rear end blades from my double-edged safety razor, and I’m wondering whether it’s my technique, my tools, or my dough that’s at fault. The razor doesn’t “catch” and cut the dough: it pushes and drags it, leaving shallow grooves rather than scoring, even with a light coating of olive oil on the blade. Any idea what this could be a symptom of? I’ve been using an all-purpose flour at 70% hydration, if that helps.

#2: Is there anything a newbie baker should keep in mind when using all-purpose flour (Gold Medal, generic store brands, etc) as a substitute for the white bread flour that most recipes and techniques made in The Before Times assumed was available?

#3: I saw mention upthread of using an Instant Pot’s yogurt function for proofing bread, and I’m always trying to get use out of that thing, but the information I’ve found on it has been sketchy. Any best practices for this? Is it as simple as “proof for four hours in the Instant Pot instead of overnight” ?

Thanks, goon bakers!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

1- with a no kneed sourdough it's probably lack of gluten strength. Maybe shaping issues. I'm assuming truly no kneed.

2- drop hydration. Bread flour soaks up more. This will help with 1 too.

3- you do not want to do a quick no kneed sourdough. Look into stretching and folding and all that jazz if you want to use that.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Kestral posted:

This thread is fantastic :) Some questions from a newbie breadmaker who has a few no-knead sourdough loaves under his belt and is looking to improve:

#1: I’m struggling to get a good scoring on my no-knead sourdoughs, even using the sharp-rear end blades from my double-edged safety razor, and I’m wondering whether it’s my technique, my tools, or my dough that’s at fault. The razor doesn’t “catch” and cut the dough: it pushes and drags it, leaving shallow grooves rather than scoring, even with a light coating of olive oil on the blade. Any idea what this could

If the dough texture is otherwise correct, try a shallower angle maybe?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For scoring, a bit of water may work better than oil. Quicker may be better too. The last couple loaves I just used a quick slashing motion with my bread knife (lol I'm probably going to get someone sent to the hospital with this advice).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

It has overflowed in like the 90 mins since I posted, so I’ve discarded about half now.

I’ve been following this guide, are the measurements in this too large?

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-sourdough-starter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-47337

It depends on how much you're cooking. If you're making a big loaf of bread every day, you can use up half that starter every day. If you're baking once a week, don't feed it more than a tablespoon or two per day, or keep it in the fridge and don't feed it more than once a week. Lots of places on the internet have people using just gobs of flour and tbh I think it's because they've just been told to do it that way.

Eeyo posted:

For scoring, a bit of water may work better than oil. Quicker may be better too. The last couple loaves I just used a quick slashing motion with my bread knife (lol I'm probably going to get someone sent to the hospital with this advice).

Quicker has always been better for me, personally. The knife doesn't has less of a chance to stick.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I've got a starter that I've been feeding regularly for two weeks now, and it seems healthy UNTIL I try to use it to make a levain to start a loaf. As soon as I do it seems like the levain won't rise at all. What am I doing wrong? I've tried three times now (twice per King Arthur's recipe, once per JW's)

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Kestral posted:

#1: I’m struggling to get a good scoring on my no-knead sourdoughs, even using the sharp-rear end blades from my double-edged safety razor, and I’m wondering whether it’s my technique, my tools, or my dough that’s at fault. The razor doesn’t “catch” and cut the dough: it pushes and drags it, leaving shallow grooves rather than scoring, even with a light coating of olive oil on the blade. Any idea what this could be a symptom of? I’ve been using an all-purpose flour at 70% hydration, if that helps.

For scoring, as others have said, a fast decisive stroke is better. Alternatively, I have seen other bakers do it slower at about an inch or two at a time, but they use their other hand to add tension. It's kind of like pulling your skin taut so you can get a better shave. When I first started baking, I found the jagged blade of a bread knife helps get decent slashing as well.

CrazyLittle posted:

I've got a starter that I've been feeding regularly for two weeks now, and it seems healthy UNTIL I try to use it to make a levain to start a loaf. As soon as I do it seems like the levain won't rise at all. What am I doing wrong? I've tried three times now (twice per King Arthur's recipe, once per JW's)

If your starter is active, but your levain isn't rising, it's possible you're not letting it mature for long enough before using. Times in sourdough are more like a guide, unless you're working at exactly the same temperature as the recipe specifies (as well as using the same starter).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yoshesque posted:

For scoring, as others have said, a fast decisive stroke is better. Alternatively, I have seen other bakers do it slower at about an inch or two at a time, but they use their other hand to add tension. It's kind of like pulling your skin taut so you can get a better shave. When I first started baking, I found the jagged blade of a bread knife helps get decent slashing as well.

If your starter is active, but your levain isn't rising, it's possible you're not letting it mature for long enough before using. Times in sourdough are more like a guide, unless you're working at exactly the same temperature as the recipe specifies (as well as using the same starter).

Yeah, additionally, your starter has been cultured to work in a very specific environment, and your bread dough isn't that environment (if nothing else, there's salt).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

yoshesque posted:

Yes, I use a sharp wet serrated bread knife. Works well in most cases, better than a lame or razor blade.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The easiest way to get good scoring is to chill the dough.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I’ve done some no knead loaves recently and had similar scoring problems because the dough is very wet and loose.

My best score came from a very sharp bread knife, doing one fast slice. I don’t think it’s possible to do the kind of scoring that intersects each other ( like a cross shape) easily on that kind of dough, but it’s possible with straight line or parallel ones.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just got some YQ flour and did a basic no-knead to get a sense of flavour and how it handles. I went with about 67% hydration and could easily have gone lower, but the dough was manageable. Nice oven spring and colour. I probably under-proofed it. Easy to score using a wet bread knife. Will report on flavour.

This is a fascinating article on YQ flour

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/oct/10/flour-power-meet-the-bread-heads-baking-a-better-loaf?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
How do you score well if the dough is in a bowl with parchment paper rising but is below the level of the top of the bowl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spikes32 posted:

How do you score well if the dough is in a bowl with parchment paper rising but is below the level of the top of the bowl?

Carefully.

Serious answer: you’d need a lame or razor blade I guess.

This YQ flour is very nice. My wife and I just devoured about 6 slices. Incredibly crunchy crust, beautiful soft fairly tight but light crumb.