Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Nice piece of fish posted:

You buy 36 bottles of anything for personal consumption?

Or the guy bought 36 bottles as gifts for employees or clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nwin posted:

So I like the smoothness of Elijah Craig but I like the flavor profile of 101.

What should I go for next?

Larceny

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

My local liquor store got a 15 year knob creek store pick in this week and I bought a bottle. It’s unbelievably good, from the first pour. Unbelievably deep and bold flavors, I don’t know if I’ve ever tasted a bourbon with such deep and intense caramel flavor. Super oily mouthfeel, I’m getting wet just thinking about it.

I’d quite seriously put it up against any bourbon I’ve ever had, 120 proof, 15 years, $43. What bourbon should be.

I went back up today to snag a second bottle to put away for the future and was told they are out. Some guy posted on Facebook about it and they sold through the entire barrel today.

One guy bought 6 cases... SIX cases. 36 bottles. Like $1700 or so after tax. God I hate this bourbon fad.

I love these 13+ year-old Knob Creek barrel picks. They really do have their own unique character, and the density is just off the charts even though they're "watered down" to 120 proof. K&L has gotten in 10+ barrels in that age range and they always sell out in just a few days at $50 a pop. I'm not sure why Jim Beam has decided to sell such old bourbon at such a reasonable price in their ugly Knob Creek bottles at the height of the boom (rather than batching these together in some godawful $100 special edition release) but I'm not complaining.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

I love these 13+ year-old Knob Creek barrel picks. They really do have their own unique character, and the density is just off the charts even though they're "watered down" to 120 proof. K&L has gotten in 10+ barrels in that age range and they always sell out in just a few days at $50 a pop. I'm not sure why Jim Beam has decided to sell such old bourbon at such a reasonable price in their ugly Knob Creek bottles at the height of the boom (rather than batching these together in some godawful $100 special edition release) but I'm not complaining.

It probably speaks to the shear volume they have, I’m scared they won’t be doing them anymore with their core 12 year bottle :(.

But yeah, compared to booker’s, it’s an unreal value.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is Eagle Rare stupid hard to find everywhere? It's one of my fav bourbons, but I haven't been able to find a bottle in like a year.

Edit: Is there anything similar in the same price range that will scratch the itch?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 13, 2020

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

zmcnulty posted:

If there's some indication he's buying purely to resell on secondary, sure, I get your point. But even at 36 bottles I'll give someone the benefit of the doubt.

i wont

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Casu Marzu posted:

Is Eagle Rare stupid hard to find everywhere? It's one of my fav bourbons, but I haven't been able to find a bottle in like a year.

Edit: Is there anything similar in the same price range that will scratch the itch?

It’s really weird, there’s certain times where I can find the stuff everywhere, and then it will go away for a long time. In general I’d say it’s moderately hard to find reliably, but not like Blanton’s level hard.

As for something similar...you may try Evan Williams single barrel, slightly younger in most cases, but also about $5-10 cheaper. I find the EW sweeter and the ER oakier, so it’s probably not a perfect match on profile.

But there definitely aren’t any other 10 year old Buffalo Trace products at that price range.

java
May 7, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

It’s become relatively hard to find at normal prices in my neck of the woods (KY).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I used to love Eagle Rare but haven't had it in probably 7-8 years. The price kept increasing and I didn't feel it was worth it but in general I find BT variants a tad generic and overpriced.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm generally able to find it for around 30 bucks, was it was substantially cheaper?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It was always in the $25-30 range when I could find it in WI

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Vox Nihili posted:

I like them as well. Some really great picks in there. Luckily my local shop does barrel picks all the time and they'll set aside a bottle for me if I ask.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

I used to love Eagle Rare but haven't had it in probably 7-8 years. The price kept increasing and I didn't feel it was worth it but in general I find BT variants a tad generic and overpriced.

If anything it's underpriced (though I'm not a huge fan of it either, it tends towards overly boring for me).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hmm, so after doing Elijah Craig small batch and WT101, I’m drinking some basil Hayden. It doesn’t really taste like much to me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vox Nihili posted:

If anything it's underpriced (though I'm not a huge fan of it either, it tends towards overly boring for me).

So why do you feel it's underpriced? I felt it was overpriced because it's not particularly interesting but I tend to be very end product focused.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

nwin posted:

Hmm, so after doing Elijah Craig small batch and WT101, I’m drinking some basil Hayden. It doesn’t really taste like much to me.

Proof matters quite a bit
92 and 101 vs 80, it's going to be like water after those

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Proof matters quite a bit
92 and 101 vs 80, it's going to be like water after those

Oh not in the same night at all, just trying to compare over a few weeks as I last had BH a while back.

Good point though-I’m just trying to find what I like and when. I’ve had another glass of the BH and I can appreciate it’s an easy sipper without hurting too much, if that makes sense.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
BH is basically like that, very weak with a quick finish. It’s whole point is being a product for those who want the experience of buying a pretty bottle of something that won’t make them gag.

Their Dark Rye is also pretty fun.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 15, 2020

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I guess I’m lucky that basil hayden’s bottle never caught my eye. I always hear people talk about ya ‘premium packaging’ but for some reason it screams ‘cheap product trying to look fancy to me’.

I might have strange thoughts there though, I’ve also heard people say they hate high west bottles ‘look’ but I love them!

Drinking a bit of woodford reserve double oaked tonight and man do I like this stuff if I’m in the right mood. So sweet, would love if it had a thicker texture though, I bet this would be great at 100-110 proof!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DoctaFun posted:

Drinking a bit of woodford reserve double oaked tonight and man do I like this stuff if I’m in the right mood. So sweet, would love if it had a thicker texture though, I bet this would be great at 100-110 proof!

I bought a couple of the original bottles when they were $100 and one of the "double oaked" after it became popular and the originals had the edge but I'm a fan of what Woodford is doing there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I have a bottle of Basil Hayden and it's nice but pretty unremarkable. The bottle styling is obnoxious tho, the label has these weird loops on top that connect the front and back label and those get all crumpled and ugly. The wood band and aluminum logo look cheap.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Just drink Old Grandad instead. Either the Bottled in Bond or 114.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

wormil posted:

I bought a couple of the original bottles when they were $100 and one of the "double oaked" after it became popular and the originals had the edge but I'm a fan of what Woodford is doing there.

I never tried any from when they first came out, my bottle is the newer ‘squat’ bottle. I always wondered if they tasted any different or if it was just a packaging change.

I have had samples of some double oaked store picks and those can be GREAT. One of them had just the strongest, most distinct butterscotch nose, it was fantastic.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

So why do you feel it's underpriced? I felt it was overpriced because it's not particularly interesting but I tend to be very end product focused.

It's ~$30 ($27 at my local Total Wine) for bourbon with a ten-year age statement from a reputable producer. That's well below what the current market would bear.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nwin posted:

My impression of Basil Hayden is that it's hipster bourbon for people who don't actually like bourbon. Stupid bottle, stupider price point. Quality bourbon isn't generally sold below 90 proof. The superior alternative to BH is Old Grand-Dad, either their Bonded or 114 proof editions (don't bother with the 80 proof version unless you want a super cheap mixer). Same producer, same mashbill, lower price point, far less watered down.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I picked up some Evan Williams Bottled in Bond yesterday, pretty tasty stuff for ~$20. I think I like WT101 more, but I'm going to have to have a couple more glasses to be sure.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
How do you guys feel about the youtube Whiskey Tribe/Vault people, doing reviews and such? It came up in my recommends (for obvious reasons) and they seem fairly insightful, entertaining and anti-snobbery which is great for what it is.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

How do you guys feel about the youtube Whiskey Tribe/Vault people, doing reviews and such? It came up in my recommends (for obvious reasons) and they seem fairly insightful, entertaining and anti-snobbery which is great for what it is.

I liked those guys at first, but then they got a bit too much for me to handle. I admit that there definitely was some entertainment value for me at first though.

Also, they apparently are pushing some whiskey ‘sommelier’ certification deal where you pay them like $10k to get certified as a whisky somm, which....isn’t actually a thing.

I may have those details wrong, but I’ve seen people give them a bunch of crap on reddit about it.

The other thing I always thought with them is drat so they drink/sample quickly. I know some of that is probably so their episodes aren’t super long, but no way I could sample and review like 1-2 ounce pours one after another like that in the matter of 10–15 minutes. But I’m no pro.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

DoctaFun posted:

Also, they apparently are pushing some whiskey ‘sommelier’ certification deal where you pay them like $10k to get certified as a whisky somm, which....isn’t actually a thing.

Yeah, I saw that. Thought it was pretty neat, but at the same time it's kind of snobby and wrong direction for being anti-snobby just on principle. Also, yeah, it isn't a thing and it seems like a marketing gimmick, but on the other hand wine sommelier stuff is also complete bullshit it's basically just wine snobbery with trivia so that's kind of whatever for me.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Yeah, I saw that. Thought it was pretty neat, but at the same time it's kind of snobby and wrong direction for being anti-snobby just on principle. Also, yeah, it isn't a thing and it seems like a marketing gimmick, but on the other hand wine sommelier stuff is also complete bullshit it's basically just wine snobbery with trivia so that's kind of whatever for me.
I mean it's 100% for marketing. Literally called the "whiskey marketing school."

DoctaFun posted:

no way I could sample and review like 1-2 ounce pours one after another like that in the matter of 10–15 minutes. But I’m no pro.
A lot of their pours probably don't even hit 1 oz, and they've mentioned that they often dump most of what they pour because they shoot like a week's worth of episodes in one go. It's still a lot of sampling, but they aren't just getting hammered on camera.

I'd watch it more for entertainment than anything else--for this reason I like the whiskey tribe channel more since it's mostly just bs that is whiskey tangential. The regular channel is...fine i guess, but at this point they're mostly reviewing stuff that I can't get so who cares.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vox Nihili posted:

It's ~$30 ($27 at my local Total Wine) for bourbon with a ten-year age statement from a reputable producer. That's well below what the current market would bear.
$35 here which is probably the SRP and there are many superior products with better brand recognition.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I like them for the most part. Their banter is pretty funny usually, but ultimately it's about the whisk(e)y, and sometimes their videos are just them shooting the poo poo and not even talking about the whiskey all that much.

Rex is funny, but a bit full of himself and can be especially annoying at times when he interrupts Daniel with some inane bullshit while he's talking about the whiskey or distillery and actually providing useful information.

But, all in all entertaining. The Whiskey Tribe seems like a nice community.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
god bless you thread for making GBS threads on Basil Haydens. Its refreshing to not have to explain why its more medicore crap out of beam suntory

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Bought some larceny and some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked to try. drat you Coronavirus-this is going to get expensive.

That Woodford is loving smooth. I don’t know if I’ll buy another bottle but it’s good.

The larceny is an easy drinker-sweet and not what I was expecting in a bourbon, but good.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 20, 2020

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

nwin posted:

Bought some larceny and some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked to try. drat you Coronavirus-this is going to get expensive.

Never had the larceny, but I think you’ll enjoy the double oaked!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm almost out of the Four Roses Single Barrel, mostly thanks to the "mistake" of sharing it. I don't know if what I'm imagining exists, but I'd like something with notes of dark chocolate and cigars (I guess that's what an "oaky" taste is?) and lower than 50% ABV so I don't accidentally overdo it the way I've almost done with 4RSB. Something really smooth with a few drops of water or even on the rocks.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I've only ever gotten chocolate notes from Old Forester. Can't remember which one.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

LifeLynx posted:

I'm almost out of the Four Roses Single Barrel, mostly thanks to the "mistake" of sharing it. I don't know if what I'm imagining exists, but I'd like something with notes of dark chocolate and cigars (I guess that's what an "oaky" taste is?) and lower than 50% ABV so I don't accidentally overdo it the way I've almost done with 4RSB. Something really smooth with a few drops of water or even on the rocks.

Old Forester 1910

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Odd Mutant posted:

Old Forester 1910

seconding this - OF 1910 and 1920 are two of the best readily available whiskeys right now
1910 hits that cocoa-like smokey barrel taste

there are a bunch of hyper-aged whiskeys that are over-oaked but they're usually $$$, harder to find, and hit-or-miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Last week I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised! The taste is in the same ballpark as the HP12 I think, especially due to the light smoke and honey sweetness.

I guess people give it bad reviews because it‘s a blend and sells millions of liters a year? Or I have really bad taste, which is very possible!

Really looking forward to trying some Green Label now.