Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My mate Kevin was a browser tab monster, he'd regularly have 15+ tabs open, messy desktop too, not the way to live, My Computer, Recycle Bin and a folder for all my game shortcuts which is inevitably ignored as the amount of game clients on my quickbar slowly grows, its the only way

I have a billion tabs and a desktop that is just icons I never ever use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You need a freakin intervention, my dude

308 tabs, reporting in!

Guys, modern browsers don't actually keep every tab open, they just keep a list of what tabs are what and load the page when you click on the tab for the first time in a session, it's fine

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

John Lee posted:

308 tabs, reporting in!

Guys, modern browsers don't actually keep every tab open, they just keep a list of what tabs are what and load the page when you click on the tab for the first time in a session, it's fine

close your tabs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well I mean I clean up my desktop I'm not a loving savage.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got 1 tab for SA, 1 tab for youtube and 1 "free" tab for whatever I'm using the internet for and thats enough.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
can't say I ever expected the very first Mafia game to get a remake

https://twitter.com/pushsquare/status/1260601990918397952

Seems the release date will be on Aug 28th

Mafia II is getting a more touched up version which is listed on the Microsoft store as coming out next week

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Firefox is using 1% of the CPU on my not-state-of-the-art laptop, it's fine.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Was the first Mafia game the one where you couldn't drive more than 40mph without getting the cops on you.....because that sucked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

40mph in downtown Manhattan is kinda fast!!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MZ posted:

Was the first Mafia game the one where you couldn't drive more than 40mph without getting the cops on you.....because that sucked.

Oh god yeah I forgot about that. You could get speeding tickets and you had to pull over and let the cop write you a ticket if you didn't want to get into a chase.

IIRC it was very hard to drive those cars faster than 40mph without losing control and crashing into a wall anyway so it all worked out

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
People with more than 3 or 4 tabs open at a time are the modern equivalent of boomers clipping out newspaper articles because "I might want to read that later".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

People with more than 3 or 4 tabs open at a time are the modern equivalent of boomers clipping out newspaper articles because "I might want to read that later".

:emptyquote:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Orv posted:

Well I mean I clean up my desktop I'm not a loving savage.

I just assume my 4k desktop will have enough space for icons until the next higher resolution comes along.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Holy poo poo Furi soundtrack alone is making me want to buy the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:boom:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MZ posted:

Wasn't there a speed limiter button?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You could set up a sort of autopilot that would make the car always drive at the same speed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When I played Mafia 1 the driving around got so monotonous that I finally just started using the in-game rail system to get around. I had a music player with headphones that I would listen to while I did this. I literally had to commute to my drat missions.

Game was great besides that though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Having an absurd number of tabs open kills the purpose of having tabs at all. Browser tabs are for keeping track of multiple pages intended to be viewed in a single session, but when you have so many open that you can no longer keep mental track of which is which, they're no longer useful as they no longer serve their purpose. Having too many open is, practically speaking, the same as having none open at all. Might as well close them.

Having too many tabs open is basically the new "desktop filled with so many icons they extend past the screen."

Figure out Reading Lists or how to use Bookmarks instead you bunch of hoarders. Hell, you can even make a bookmark folder called "Tabs" and just add/delete pages in it as you move through stuff. At least that way you can read the names of pages you've saved all in a big list instead of having to mouseover tiny icon-sized tabs and wait for the popup to tell you what it is.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 13, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

idiotsavant posted:

Holy poo poo Furi soundtrack alone is making me want to buy the game.
It's a nice game. Doesn't have as many proselytizers compared to other indie games but I think it's really good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GreatGreen posted:

Having an absurd number of tabs open kills the purpose of having tabs at all. Browser tabs are for keeping track of multiple pages intended to be viewed in a single session, but when you have so many open that you can no longer keep mental track of which is which, they're no longer useful as they no longer serve their purpose. Having too many open is, practically speaking, the same as having none open at all. Might as well close them.

Having too many tabs open is basically the new "desktop filled with so many icons they extend past the screen."

Figure out Reading Lists or how to use Bookmarks instead you bunch of hoarders. Hell, you can even make a bookmark folder called "Tabs" and just add/delete pages in it as you move through stuff. At least that way you can read the names of pages you've saved all in a big list instead of having to mouseover tiny icon-sized tabs and wait for the popup to tell you what it is.

I have had the same tab open for over two years, it's a picture of a cool bird and nothing you say or do can make me close it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Having a million tabs open is actually perfectly fine and I'm sorry you're still mentally stuck in the days of Internet Explorer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like the only people that are mentally stuck are the ones who can't close tabs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

but what if i NEED that tab for the cricket score for a match from two months ago

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GreatGreen posted:

My tab are arranged vertically. I can have dozens of them and still read them in addition to the full-page search feature that also finds tabs. :smug:

Seriously though, bookmarks are the wrong tool for the job. I have a browser window per project I'm working on that accumulates all the relevant documentation I need. It gets tossed once the project is over. Bookmarks are for keeping; tabs are ephemeral.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

striving, and sometimes fighting
wondering just what a dumpleton is

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cowcaster posted:

striving, and sometimes fighting
wondering just what a dumpleton is
Spoilered because I'm not sure everyone is ready for that knowledge.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nerd

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Just wait until you can have columns and rows of tabs. You could even alt+tab.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Antigravitas posted:

Or more than two browser tabs.

I currently have four browser windows open with literally 99 tabs (I counted them!). I need that RAM.

I've got 49 tabs open but I've got stuff going on right now - but you can just close the browser and they'll be there when you open it again!

Morter posted:

I have Prey. I get why its cyberpunk but the execution is more spacey survival horror to me. Which isn't bad--I'm working on beating it (eventually :effort: ), but that's not it.

I don't think Prey's survival horror really, it starts off that way but later it's more like

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hmm.

A Mafia 1 remake with all of the tedious sim stuff being an optional toggle, a Mafia 2 remaster with the cut content added back in and a tweaked version of Mafia 3 which massively reduces the grind and adds variety to how you obtain territory might be kinda cool.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

baka kaba posted:

I don't think Prey's survival horror really, it starts off that way but later it's more like
There's even less cyberpunk to it, though. I mean, cyberpunk kind of runs on being punk, and that's just not really compatible with being a rich industry magnate with your own space station. It's not that kind of story.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

And JYDGE

EDIT: Also RUINER (lotta cyberpunk games seem to love their all-caps titles).

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 13, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

There's even less cyberpunk to it, though. I mean, cyberpunk kind of runs on being punk, and that's just not really compatible with being a rich industry magnate with your own space station. It's not that kind of story.

then Prey is cyber-pop-punk

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Blattdorf posted:

Just wait until you can have columns and rows of tabs. You could even alt+tab.

Ctrl+tab switches between tabs.

But also, you can absolutely have columns and rows. It's called a tab stack. https://help.vivaldi.com/article/tab-stacks/ :sun:

baka kaba posted:

I don't think Prey's survival horror really

That's the typical *shock power curve though, isn't it. You start off conserving every bullet and cowering under desks, and disintegrating enemies with the power of your mind by the end. You may spend some time as an animated coffee pot in between.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Antigravitas posted:

Ctrl+tab switches between tabs.

But also, you can absolutely have columns and rows. It's called a tab stack. https://help.vivaldi.com/article/tab-stacks/ :sun:

Nah, I mean more like a frame at the edges of the monitor, so we can go back to 4:3. And then switch between frames.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah I'd say it's more art-deco sci-fi with horror elements to it, there's definitely some cyberpunk themes to it but that's more in the backstory than what you're personally doing

Very worth playing anyway!

Antigravitas posted:

That's the typical *shock power curve though, isn't it. You start off conserving every bullet and cowering under desks, and disintegrating enemies with the power of your mind by the end. You may spend some time as an animated coffee pot in between.

I think it would be cool to do a tech-only run no magic alien powers and maybe even with the degradation stuff on so you're not a bouquet of guns, but it's a long game and ain't nobody got time for that

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 13, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Does Dead Cells ever get a skip-ahead feature? I’m starting to get tired of these first few levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I think it would be cool to do a tech-only run no magic alien powers and maybe even with the degradation stuff on so you're not a bouquet of guns, but it's a long game and ain't nobody got time for that

You're impossible to kill, but your only offense power is Combat Focus so it gets pretty goddamn repetitive

e: unless you mean no powers at all, not just human-only