Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hey let's say you have a fairly small kitchen space. Then let's say you're gutting the kitchen because it sucks. Like down to the studs, all plumbing and cabinets finito.

What would you add or do differently in a modern small kitchen if you were building from zero?

One thing which seems smart is base cabinets with shallower drawers, so instead of maybe 4 drawers there were 5 and a couple were only about 4" deep which is sufficient for utensil trays, knives, foil/plastic wrap, etc. While it might not increase storage space, it helps keep things organized, which in a small kitchen makes a big difference.

Vertical drawers can also be handy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

Vertical drawers can also be handy:

I always like those in principle, but everything is so unsupported that they often fall over when they hit the end of their travel.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would love to not have the crack next to the oven where crumbs and such fall in, unable to retrieved unless you literally remove the oven. Speaking of which, when I replace my oven, maybe I can put a tin piece of wood in the gap? :)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One interesting thing I have heard some condos doing is getting rid of a fixed stovetop, the idea being the portable induction cooktops can just be pulled out from a special cupboard when required, so usually it is flexible counter space. There would be a hood over the countertop I believe. The ovens are in wall surrounded by the cupboards. I can see it making sense when it is a smaller place and countertop space is limited. Those induction cooktops are pretty good I hear.

E: also it’s for people who mostly just order in food anyway

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

priznat posted:

One interesting thing I have heard some condos doing is getting rid of a fixed stovetop, the idea being the portable induction cooktops can just be pulled out from a special cupboard when required, so usually it is flexible counter space. There would be a hood over the countertop I believe. The ovens are in wall surrounded by the cupboards. I can see it making sense when it is a smaller place and countertop space is limited. Those induction cooktops are pretty good I hear.

Yeah, unfortunately my place doesn't have a vent to the outside, so you'd have to put in a recirculating vent. I've heard those aren't so great, and you need to replace the charcoal filter often. Has anyone used one? Also I don't really have a good spot for a separate microwave, so I'll be sticking with the microwave above the oven when I replace them.

Totally unrelated question - I have a concrete patio that I rarely use. Any good alternatives for comfort/appearance besides an outdoor rug? What about those "wood" things that click together?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 13, 2020

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I always like those in principle, but everything is so unsupported that they often fall over when they hit the end of their travel.

Hah yeah that does tend to happen, and I've seen the result of people leaning against them. Maybe their true purpose is to teach slowing down and moving more consciously.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

priznat posted:

I use one. It's decent, though not as finely adjustable as I'd like, and quite loud since it has to self-cool with fans. I'll be replacing it with fixed ones.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was thinking about adding some of them to a built-in sidebar I am designing right now for my dining room (adjacent kitchen has gently caress all for pantry space, making up some of it in this big wall-length sidebar/buffet).

I store tons of bulk spices and other things in pint size widemouth Ball jars. I was thinking if the walls for each "rack" in the drawer were at least 1/3 the height of the jar they would probably have a hard time tipping over.

What say you goons?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That Works posted:

I was thinking about adding some of them to a built-in sidebar I am designing right now for my dining room (adjacent kitchen has gently caress all for pantry space, making up some of it in this big wall-length sidebar/buffet).

I store tons of bulk spices and other things in pint size widemouth Ball jars. I was thinking if the walls for each "rack" in the drawer were at least 1/3 the height of the jar they would probably have a hard time tipping over.

What say you goons?

Well part of the issue is the direction of force. High-ish walls will stop them tipping left/right, but you're pulling the drawer towards you and there's no support in that direction. I'd say you'd need some kind of dividers between the jars, or other way of steadying them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Yeah, unfortunately my place doesn't have a vent to the outside, so you'd have to put in a recirculating vent. I've heard those aren't so great, and you need to replace the charcoal filter often. Has anyone used one? Also I don't really have a good spot for a separate microwave, so I'll be sticking with the microwave above the oven when I replace them.

I have a vent outside and had a recirc vent I just pulled it down kuz they are useless. I will at some point re-connect one to the outside when I get proper cabinetry up there, the cabinet they had was too long so I had less than 2ft of cooking space and the cabinet I moved from the other side of the wall wasn't wide enough. I'll get to it at some point but theres so much other poo poo i need to sperg about it's low on the list.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well part of the issue is the direction of force. High-ish walls will stop them tipping left/right, but you're pulling the drawer towards you and there's no support in that direction. I'd say you'd need some kind of dividers between the jars, or other way of steadying them.

Ah yeah. Well since they are going to be uniform I could drop in some dividers in the drawer that make little boxes sized to pint Ball jars.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Ah yeah. Well since they are going to be uniform I could drop in some dividers in the drawer that make little boxes sized to pint Ball jars.

Or just use it to store empty jars so it’s always full or nearly full, and size it so it fits X jars without much room to wiggle.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Or just use it to store empty jars so it’s always full or nearly full, and size it so it fits X jars without much room to wiggle.

Maybe with bumpers to reduce the chattering of glass jars:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil..._-306229466-_-N

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Neoprene!

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Slimmer, sleeker and more aerodynamic!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
where do I read up on repainting a house. I"ve done it before for barns but I cannot recall for the life of me how I would deal with all the paint chips that would come off when I go up to scrape everything . I'm probably going to do the whole house by hand on a ladder because i"m unemployed so if not now then I'll never do it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Boxman posted:

I...think this is the right thread for this.

We have a raccoon living under our porch. It tore off some of the lattice that had been preventing access, and we've seen it come out a couple times around dawn and dusk. There's not really anything it can tear up under there, but we have a dog and we'd strongly prefer the critter doesn't make our home its home.

I can buy a trap and stick it under there (or wait until we see it leave, then just board up the entrance again), but my concern is that its a momma raccoon. I don't want a raccoon under the porch, but I really don't want a litter of dead raccoon babies under there.

What's the play here? Critter control is expensive. We can afford it, if its actually the best option, but this feels like something that might be do-able without professional help.

Welcome, friend.

Do a thorough visual inspection for a nest and babies. Maybe crawl in there.
Board it up if you don't see anything.

Some towels soaked in dog piss would discourage racoons (and humans) from nesting.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hey let's say you have a fairly small kitchen space. Then let's say you're gutting the kitchen because it sucks. Like down to the studs, all plumbing and cabinets finito.

What would you add or do differently in a modern small kitchen if you were building from zero?

Lazy Susans inside corner cabinets (top and bottom -- you can get big ones for pots)

High brightness under cabinet lighting using LED tape lights and aluminum channel.

A full exhaust vent.

Pay attention to the specs for your fridge and make sure you leave enough clearance above it for air circulation.

A sliding/retractable under-cabinet cookbook/tablet holder.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A £6,000 tab at the local kebab shop, and 3 grand put aside for an endarterectomy.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
There are a few different options for covering that gap between your range and counters:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Easy-Was...-Seal/787462903

Lowes, Walmart, Amazon all have several options.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How many kebabs can I get for 6 grand?

I bought some campus board grips to attach to beams for doing pullups and that kind of thing. Putting them up has been super annoying.

They came with these screws which are fully threaded and oversized to the holes in the boards so it's almost impossible to get them flush with the surface you're attaching them to. Also phillips head so the head runs out of the screw. Why would they supply these.

I ended up drilling the holes bigger and in the process discovered my unused 6mm wood bit is not straight.

Finally got 2 of them up but it took 10x longer than it should have. I need to cut one of them down to extend them full length.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

How many kebabs can I get for 6 grand?

Like, a thousand? Two per day, 500 days, yeah maybe 18 months isn't long enough to warrant not building a kitchen.

Could probably get a regular discount though.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

mastershakeman posted:

where do I read up on repainting a house. I"ve done it before for barns but I cannot recall for the life of me how I would deal with all the paint chips that would come off when I go up to scrape everything . I'm probably going to do the whole house by hand on a ladder because i"m unemployed so if not now then I'll never do it

A tarp will suffice, it may not catch all the chips but unless it's super windy or you're scraping like Jaded Burnout's cat avatar it'll catch most.

Tip: do calf raises intermittently while standing on the ladder. It can help reduce the strain on your legs and feet, especially on extension ladders, and give you sexy calves for summer.

Also: hand scraping is actually a pretty good upper body workout. Switch hands so you don't end up with arms like Federer.

About halfway through the second day you may find yourself thinking what the hell am I doing. Push through it. Ask friends to help if possible.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone happen to know of a brand of polymeric sand that makes a really light color tan? I tried some Sakrete Permasand and it’s too dark.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Totally unrelated question - I have a concrete patio that I rarely use. Any good alternatives for comfort/appearance besides an outdoor rug? What about those "wood" things that click together?

I have a recirculating vent and it works fine while rarely ever replacing the filter (e.g. >5 years), albeit I don't often cook the kinds of things that spread lots of grease fumes everywhere.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I have a recirculating vent and it works fine while rarely ever replacing the filter (e.g. >5 years), albeit I don't often cook the kinds of things that spread lots of grease fumes everywhere.

cool thanks, would you mind sharing a picture?

btw lol at obama house

let's just cover this whole thing in the early 1980s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Anyone happen to know of a brand of polymeric sand that makes a really light color tan? I tried some Sakrete Permasand and it’s too dark.

I like this stuff
https://www.alliancegator.com/color-chooser/

From what I remember about the sample at the landscape yard, the beige looked lighter than that picture. Other option might be to mix it half/half with the ivory? Not sure if that would look alright but it's a thought.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

actionjackson posted:

btw lol at obama house

Hi I believe in drone strikes and an utter contempt for landscaping design.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

actionjackson posted:

btw lol at obama house

Tag yourself

I'm the unused hammock stand of neoliberalism

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm the weird circular pillar on the left with a spiral staircase around it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

folks we got interior pics

Only registered members can see post attachments!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a weird hatred of any landscaping where steps just go right onto grass. That poo poo sucks. Make a path or some pavers or some poo poo!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Can someone start a Change.org petition to force McMansion Hell to do a takedown here?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Hubis posted:

Can someone start a Change.org petition to force McMansion Hell to do a takedown here?

She retweeted a photo of it. I suspect a takedown is coming.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Hubis posted:

Tag yourself

I'm the unused hammock stand of neoliberalism

I'm the gate with either no adjacent fence, or a fence with amazing camoflage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

priznat posted:

I have a weird hatred of any landscaping where steps just go right onto grass. That poo poo sucks. Make a path or some pavers or some poo poo!

:same:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

actionjackson posted:

I'm the Bundt cake couch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm the Bundt cake couch.

I know it's because of my profession, but every time i see those I'm just thinking early 80s Cray-1 (the very first "supercomputer").

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TacoHavoc posted:

I like this stuff
https://www.alliancegator.com/color-chooser/

From what I remember about the sample at the landscape yard, the beige looked lighter than that picture. Other option might be to mix it half/half with the ivory? Not sure if that would look alright but it's a thought.
Thanks, I’ll look into it. I haven’t found any ivory colored sand yet, better look wider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

I know it's because of my profession, but every time i see those I'm just thinking early 80s Cray-1 (the very first "supercomputer").

It'd be very disappointing if at least one of these tech billionaires isn't using those as actual furniture in a lair somewhere.