Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Crimson Harvest posted:

You can click a visitor's visitor tab and set them to be recruited by your social-enabled pawns, but they have to have enough friends in the colony already. It's all in the panel there.

Thanks.

And there's a cult mod? I guess worshiping a snake god is back on the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

only mild rates of toxic fallout, and top notch pest control

Why is there what appears to be an unsealed bloody sausage casing sleeping peacefully in the top middle?

Also, what is the mechanical nightmare in the room across the hall and down one?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LonsomeSon posted:

Why is there what appears to be an unsealed bloody sausage casing sleeping peacefully in the top middle?

Also, what is the mechanical nightmare in the room across the hall and down one?

Genetic Rim is a fantastic mod and combines really well with some other mods that add on interesting critters (there are compatibility mods for most critter packs). Throw Pawnmorpher and Questionable Ethics in there, and the sky is the limit when it comes to genetic augmentation, experimentation, and various other things of dubious morality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sausage is a baby cthonian I think.

Personally I'm more curious why you've got teratogenic originators roaming the hallways. They're useful as hell to be sure, but I wouldn't let them just wander around, it's not like they eat more than once a month.

Speaking of letting things just wander around...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 12, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

LonsomeSon posted:

the sausage is a cthonian larva. i got it and it's brother when i threw a prisoner into a mysterious screaming sinkhole that opened up. a few days later the prisoner came back and pretty soon i had some bouncing baby larvae.

the mechanical nightmare is a mechanoid/insectoid hybrid i made with Genetic Rim. he's friendly, he has twin blaster cannons, and every month or so he poops out some components. he cost a lot of resources to create but he's very helpful.

OwlFancier posted:

The sausage is a baby cthonian I think.

Personally I'm more curious why you've got teratogenic originators roaming the hallways. They're useful as hell to be sure, but I wouldn't let them just wander around, it's not like they eat more than once a month.

i've been too lazy to set up a dedicated animal area, and I feel like it sets the guests at ease to know we have complimentary totally-normal spare limbs on hand in case they suffer an accident during their stay.

here's claw canyon as a whole, it's a hosed up layout cause i didn't plan it out properly, i built it into a mountain and made more rooms as i was going based on the available space:

the big building on the left is the start of my atomic power project

the southern side with all the turrets wasn't as impregnable as i thought, multiple hordes of tribals attacked and i had to use my guys to take care of sappers, so the turrets got really hosed up:

it did provide a fresh batch of new human sacrifices though. i've had them make offerings to nyarlethotep recently, he has a spell that makes your guy who does the sacrifice a psychopath, and if they're already a psychopath they become a cannibal.

i got a bunch of mixed successes though, which brought a blight on my crops and rotted away my food stores. luckily enough sacrifices went right for me to be able to use a new food source

you can see my horrible monsters being helpful hauling stuff around for me :3

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just stuff all my animals in a cupboard and shovel in hay. Works especially well for stuff that barely eats like teratogenic originators but which are so valuable.

You can see the animal cupboard in the first image, in fact.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

the sausage is a cthonian larva. i got it and it's brother when i threw a prisoner into a mysterious screaming sinkhole that opened up. a few days later the prisoner came back and pretty soon i had some bouncing baby larvae.

Oh, is that what that does? I always just leveled the entire area with 28cm cannon and MLRS fire. Heavy artillery has in my experience always been the answer to things like screaming tentacled holes in the ground.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's certainly an option (or just let it sit and scream if it's far enough away) but yeah you can throw people into it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

you can see my horrible monsters being helpful hauling stuff around for me :3

But none of the colonists in that screenshot seem to be hauling anything?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've put more time into this game during the pandemic than I really should have, but good lord it's great.

My friends on Slack have been subjected to a steady stream of screenshots of the funny poo poo, like a horse made comatose via a charge rifle-inflicted traumatic brain injury or the hare that was hit by a meteorite and "exploded". Loving it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Piell posted:

I've seen a biocoded club

They cut biocoded primitive weaponry a few patches back, thankfully. Still an annoying amount of biocoded stuff in the standard raids, though (it makes sense for the empire and high-end raids, not so much for a handful of drifters looking to snag some silver).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think it was an attempt to prevent a kind of rocket launcher cascade. Raiders all bunch up so a single rocket launcher is practically guaranteed to make a raid flee, and late game high difficulty raids have so many guys that you're practically guaranteed to get at least one rocket launcher dropped from the dead raiders, which you could use to wipe the next and then the next, etc. Raids being resource-positive is something that's been patched against multiple times, with tainted clothing, heavy mood penalties for organ harvesting, now biocoded weapons. It's also why there's no washing machine or hacking tools to remove the tainted or biocoded tag from equipment.

Whether you think keeping raids from being resource-positive is fun or not is up to you (and there's a bunch of mods that change it if you like), but that's the intention.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I think the biocoding thing is a smart balance mechanic, just initially overused (and it has been tuned back already).

I'm not so happy about some of the other recent balance tweaks. Shredding mechanoids for parts hardly yields any resources now (only 15 steel for pikemen and lancers), and even the dangerous turrets in mechanoid clusters hardly yield anything. Seriously, 3 plasteel from the ultra-deadly blaster turrets? How many turrets do you think I'm going to be defeating?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I've put about 75 hours into the base game and am now exploring the most basic mods (Hospitality, Colony Manager, the sanitation one), and now all of a sudden there's a bug where it won't stop raining? Just infinite rain. And the game seems to be experiencing pretty noticeable slowdown. Are even the best mods a bit finicky?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that a bug or did you have a big fire/forced weather condition?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I've put about 75 hours into the base game and am now exploring the most basic mods (Hospitality, Colony Manager, the sanitation one), and now all of a sudden there's a bug where it won't stop raining? Just infinite rain. And the game seems to be experiencing pretty noticeable slowdown. Are even the best mods a bit finicky?

Check your quests tab, your recent events, and your message history. There might be some explanation.

Otherwise, yeah, mods tend to introduce bugs fairly frequently (and the base game still has occasional bugs as well). You might be able to force a weather change with the debug menu, though.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Apparently if you send your colonists on a work for hire quest and move your settlement elsewhere, those colonists are forever stuck in the void. RIP, no even dev tools can fix it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

boar guy posted:

the new music alone was worth the price for me

ALL HAIL DEATH SONG.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

every time i lie down in bed at night i hear that guitar riff and the yaaaa yaaa yoooo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Are there cooling solutions more elegant than "a cooler in every room" or "a big line of 10+ coolers"? And does anyone have experience with the mod for fuses that protect against Zzzt? I'm wondering if having one power grid is safe if I have 1 fuse for every 2-3 batteries, or if I should separate and have individual grids. Simple wire laying/cutting job to separate them again.

This was 2-3 in game years of labor well spent. Think I will build a rare goods vault and the boss' house on the deep water.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Doomykins posted:

Are there cooling solutions more elegant than "a cooler in every room" or "a big line of 10+ coolers"? And does anyone have experience with the mod for fuses that protect against Zzzt? I'm wondering if having one power grid is safe if I have 1 fuse for every 2-3 batteries, or if I should separate and have individual grids. Simple wire laying/cutting job to separate them again.

Assuming you're talking about RT Fuse, every fuse or circuit breaker will safely discharge 1800 Wd, which is 3 fully-charged batteries. It doesn't matter how may batteries are on the grid, as long as you have 1 circuit breaker for every 3 batteries, you will never get an explosion from a Zzzt event. You DO still lose all the charge in the batteries, so if you're using nonconstant power generators (solar, wind) you might still suffer brownouts until the sun or wind comes up again.

As for cooling solutions, I like to cool a hallway which itself is attached via vents to all the bedrooms. You'll still need multiple coolers because one cooler won't be able to handle a bunch of bedrooms by itself. Here's a screenshot from one of my old colonies where you can see this in the bottom left.

Also remember double-thick walls provide better insulation, so cooled rooms absorb less heat from the surrounding area. You can save a good amount of power by double-walling your freezer if you're in a hot biome. Thicker than double walls has no effect. The cooler itself won't be double-wide, so I like to use the double-wide ones from Replace Stuff, although the difference is really just aesthetic.

The other vanilla cooling option is building deep into a mountain. Deep mountains provide a temperature stabilizing effect that pushes any rooms built deep in there towards I think 15 C. One or two coolers is usually all you're going to need if you're deep underground.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
unless i'm mistaken (i haven't played a mountain game in a long while so i might be), mountain basically makes it so the temperature is a constant of the average of the surrounding area's year-round temp, not necessarily just 15C. so a mountain in a taiga isn't likely to get to 15C and may still require some heaters to be comfortable, though it will undoubtedly be warmer than what's outside, especially at night.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there an easy rule of thumb for the different leather types? Like is there a useful difference between pigskin, bearskin, plainleather, lightleather, etc?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

double nine posted:

is there an easy rule of thumb for the different leather types? Like is there a useful difference between pigskin, bearskin, plainleather, lightleather, etc?

Rule of thumb: Bigger animal tend to have stronger leather defensively. Animals that tend to live in hot climates have better heat protection, animals that tend to live in cold climates have better cold protection. If you want exact values, there's a page here with all the base leathers.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 13, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Assuming you're talking about RT Fuse, every fuse or circuit breaker will safely discharge 1800 Wd, which is 3 fully-charged batteries. It doesn't matter how may batteries are on the grid, as long as you have 1 circuit breaker for every 3 batteries, you will never get an explosion from a Zzzt event. You DO still lose all the charge in the batteries, so if you're using nonconstant power generators (solar, wind) you might still suffer brownouts until the sun or wind comes up again.

As for cooling solutions, I like to cool a hallway which itself is attached via vents to all the bedrooms. You'll still need multiple coolers because one cooler won't be able to handle a bunch of bedrooms by itself. Here's a screenshot from one of my old colonies where you can see this in the bottom left.

Also remember double-thick walls provide better insulation, so cooled rooms absorb less heat from the surrounding area. You can save a good amount of power by double-walling your freezer if you're in a hot biome. Thicker than double walls has no effect. The cooler itself won't be double-wide, so I like to use the double-wide ones from Replace Stuff, although the difference is really just aesthetic.

The other vanilla cooling option is building deep into a mountain. Deep mountains provide a temperature stabilizing effect that pushes any rooms built deep in there towards I think 15 C. One or two coolers is usually all you're going to need if you're deep underground.

Yeah RT Fuse, I toss up 2 batteries per power source and a fuse attached to both.

Thank you very much for the help and advice, I think a cooled hallway vented into a large area would be visually pleasing enough. I'll try 3 in the snake head and see if it stays consistent. I got a Global Warming event that is turning this temperate forest into a desert, so I'm hoping to get the base set up and keep it cool with mostly internal workings. Maybe some side areas or farms, or a rec area with no roof to avoid everybody feeling cooped up.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 13, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

the mechanical nightmare is a mechanoid/insectoid hybrid i made with Genetic Rim. he's friendly, he has twin blaster cannons, and every month or so he poops out some components. he cost a lot of resources to create but he's very helpful.

Sure Claw Canyon might be a little rough around the edges, but after a few days of...canyon...air, and some bonding time with both flesh and mechanical nightmares born from the most remote and distant corners of madness within the human psyche, I found myself rested, rejuvenated, and ready to dis-instantiate until my next on-screen interaction!

Even left ‘em a little gift I didn’t mind parting ways with. Seriously, who has time to care for 74 freshly-hatched cobras while on the road!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

double nine posted:

Never make clothes you want to actually protect or insulate people with light leather, bird skin, pigskin, patch leather. If you have to, you can use lizard skin and plain leather for shirts/pants.

Save heavy leather, panthera fur, wolfskin, bearskin, for dusters.

Save thrumbofur until you got a 15+ crafter or a 10+ with creative inspiration, dusters from that poo poo are amazing. However, thrumbofur chairs are apparently exquisitely beautiful - guinea pig leather and chinchilla fur great for crafting things that have a beauty stat too, but poor protection.

Don't make armor things out of wool or cloth.

Otherwise, go nuts.

I usually wind up having colonists rocking camelhide or bluefur pants/shirts with heavy fur dusters.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Someone else watches AdmiralBahroo it seems.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have a friend who would love Rimworld but I'm finding it really hard to describe what makes the game so special in a way that doesn't make me sound like an insane rambling lunatic, are there any good youtube videos that encapsulate why this game owns that I can send him?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have a friend who would love Rimworld but I'm finding it really hard to describe what makes the game so special in a way that doesn't make me sound like an insane rambling lunatic, are there any good youtube videos that encapsulate why this game owns that I can send him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVCo4RZ25-M

edit: also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD1mlWtPWK8

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 14, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to post that exact thing :v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

double nine posted:

I just leave this page open in a tab.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Sure Claw Canyon might be a little rough around the edges, but after a few days of...canyon...air, and some bonding time with both flesh and mechanical nightmares born from the most remote and distant corners of madness within the human psyche, I found myself rested, rejuvenated, and ready to dis-instantiate until my next on-screen interaction!

Even left ‘em a little gift I didn’t mind parting ways with. Seriously, who has time to care for 74 freshly-hatched cobras while on the road!

this is genuinely freaky because i had a guest leave behind a shitload of fertilised cobra eggs yesterday

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Cease to Hope posted:

I just leave this page open in a tab.

My solution is to use the Best Mix mod and tell the tailoring bench to make the clothing bills out of 'most defense sharp'

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Lost a colony to an infestation I didn't think was possible combined with panicking trying to rally a defense. Turns out three tiles of my lab were overhead mountain.

It was almost a miraculous turnaround - man in black showed up and finished the stragglers, but the entire colony bled out before he could patch any of them up.

Only myself to blame. NEXT.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wilekat posted:

Lost a colony to an infestation I didn't think was possible combined with panicking trying to rally a defense. Turns out three tiles of my lab were overhead mountain.

It was almost a miraculous turnaround - man in black showed up and finished the stragglers, but the entire colony bled out before he could patch any of them up.

Only myself to blame. NEXT.

Wish I could find this edit of the Rick James skit from Chapelle show where it says "When you got 1 tile of overhead mountain" and its got a megaspider head photoshopped over Rick saying "nice place"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

uhm... what?! they're on lavish food restriction btw

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 14, 2020

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They can't eat the simple meals because you've told them they are only permitted to eat Lavish meals.

I was dumb.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 14, 2020

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Vadoc posted:

They can't eat the simple meals because you've told them they are only permitted to eat Lavish meals.

Lavish meal restriction is the default, it lets them eat anything.

I think the problem is that colonists don’t eat food stored on a pack animal by default. You need a mod iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Not for caravans.

What animals and people do you have? What food restrictions do they all have?

If you bring a Warg on a caravan, food will say 0 unless you bring food they can eat as well as the 35 simple meals. The caravan food listing shows the lowest days of food for any individual on the caravan.

You can also watch their needs tab and see if someone's not eating.