Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

It actually amazes me that there are still people in Trump's admin who suggest a more cautious approach to things.

For example, Fauci could have been completely blocked from talking to Senate, right?

Don't these cautious advisors know there would have been no consequences to blocking Fauci? Or hell, firing him.

Nothing Fauci says matters to anyone in Trump's base. If he says something that disagrees with Trump, it debunks Fauci to them, not the reverse. It also gives Senators like Rand Paul the opportunity to performatively support Trump. There's no risk to them in anything Fauci says, even if he somehow flipped his poo poo and started cursing out Trump and the response in the harshest terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

God's got a really hosed up sense of humor and it's probably not a good idea to tempt him

Rod Dreher and that type are legit thinking the covid tracking app and having to get tested is the mark of the beast.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

My employer has an epidemiologist on this town hall who is basically saying that this is the new normal lol

I mean, everyone in charge seems hell bent on going back to the old normal, so I’m not sure I believe them

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Death Cult is strong in the UK. Anglophones have brain damage from their global empires

https://twitter.com/RMCunliffe/status/1260507448567349248?s=20
https://twitter.com/Madz_Grant/status/1260502072677580802?s=20

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Admiral Ray posted:

nonsense, by all accounts he quite straightforward and easy to deal with

To be honest the accounts of god do differ a bit between them

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MysteriousStranger posted:

Rod Dreher and that type are legit thinking the covid tracking app and having to get tested is the mark of the beast.

those weirdos are fickle about their beliefs. If liberal groups express concern that the vaccine isn't tested enough, then they may just embrace it to spite the sickos and libs.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

MysteriousStranger posted:

bill gates vaccine nanobots rewriting my DNA to read 666 and transmit my location to demons so they can conscript me into the eternal blood war

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I do not want to die from COVID-19, and I have a heartfelt wish that my fellow residents of California would respect that and at least wear a mask and practice social distancing. Everything is so loving lovely right now for me. Lost a bit of income because of this pandemic, and too many people are just losing their loving minds over not being able to resume the old normal lives they once lived. It breaks my heart that I'm possibly going to get sick & die from going to the market or pharmacy because of their failure to do the bare minimum to safely operate in public amidst a pandemic. Just the other day, some loving Jehovah Witnesses came to my house trying to sell me some poo poo and knocked at my door and lingered at my door for 20 minutes, as an example of the madness I'm seeming.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shotgun Willie posted:

I live in Madison county, Illinois. The reason the health board has twenty-nine members (plus chairman Prenzler) is because the county board has twenty-nine members. It's the same people. The health professionals are on an advisory committee. It's insane. That vote might as well be a suicide pact, it was 27-2. I should've known we were screwed, our competent director of public health is named Toni Corona. MADCO!

why does your county board have 29 members. more like Crook County am I right

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Admiral Ray posted:

bill gates vaccine nanobots rewriting my DNA to read 666 and transmit my location to demons so they can conscript me into the eternal blood war

if this means I get to rip and tear like doom guy sign me up

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Synthetic Dreams posted:

I do not want to die from COVID-19, and I have a heartfelt wish that my fellow residents of California would respect that and at least wear a mask and practice social distancing. Everything is so loving lovely right now for me. Lost a bit of income because of this pandemic, and too many people are just losing their loving minds over not being able to resume the old normal lives they once lived. It breaks my heart that I'm possibly going to get sick & die from going to the market or pharmacy because of their failure to do the bare minimum to safely operate in public amidst a pandemic. Just the other day, some loving Jehovah Witnesses came to my house trying to sell me some poo poo and knocked at my door and lingered at my door for 20 minutes, as an example of the madness I'm seeming.

I feel your pain friend. How are you legume stocks? Did you cook lentils today?

There is enough peace in the beans to becalm even the most troubled heart.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can you really only use those disposable masks once? I got one when I had to pick up a prescription. Also is a scarf less effective than say a cloth mask? I've been using a light scarf most of the time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
were doomed lol

https://twitter.com/xan_desanctis/status/1260573101148065794

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

Can you really only use those disposable masks once? I got one when I had to pick up a prescription. Also is a scarf less effective than say a cloth mask? I've been using a light scarf most of the time.

A cloth mask is probably a little better having a tighter fit to the face and covering and a lot of scarfs are more like porous wooly type.

you can use disposable masks multiple times though. it's better if you can cycle through them if you have enough to give time for virii to die off (if present); and there's some ways to keep it slightly heated but not enough to damage and degrade the material.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1260623136740999168?s=19

They postponed the slipknot cruise!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

A cloth mask is probably a little better having a tighter fit to the face and covering and a lot of scarfs are more like porous wooly type.

you can use disposable masks multiple times though. it's better if you can cycle through them if you have enough to give time for virii to die off (if present); and there's some ways to keep it slightly heated but not enough to damage and degrade the material.

thanks. For me it's mainly about if I have to cough having it not go everywhere, but obviously a scarf only offers some protection against that. I'm very good at keeping distance and constantly sanitizing though. However I am kind of curious about products I buy at the store - someone else with the virus could have touched them previously, and there's really nothing I can do about that, right?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

is the spike face guy gonna change the mask to look like the k-virus

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

rated the best cruise buffet to contract gonorrhea from

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

DEATH CULT

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

work (it’s a restaurant) is calling me back in, told me i have until 5 pm to decide if i want my job back

so now i get to decide if i want to expose myself to covid or risk them reporting me to the vec and terminating my unemployment

capitalism is very cool i love gambling

e: they sent a mass email out at 7 pm last night so less than 24 hours, very cool

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

i mean, its wild how afraid capitalists are to die tbh

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

I guess we will just have to wait

And bleed

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Many religious persons are hypocrites about their beliefs, first to themselves, second to everyone else. And pick and ignore from religion what they want and what they like, and ignore what they don't like. So if they take a religion that preach movie, they use it to preach hate and practice murder.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Admiral Ray posted:

is the spike face guy gonna change the mask to look like the k-virus

https://twitter.com/martian_munk/status/1244295362728341505?s=19

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ahahahaha NPR just had a physician from my employer come on and say "we're going to have to learn to live with this" right after we were told in a 'town hall' zoom meeting that 'we're going to have to learn to live with this." very cool!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol I just found the TSA checkpoint travel numbers data comparing now to the same date last year

https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

Only registered members can see post attachments!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

living in nyc and i feel safer than most of this dumb country

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Haha they're making masks optional in my county.

loving hate the Inland Empire.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

magiccarpet posted:

living in nyc and i feel safer than most of this dumb country

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

However I am kind of curious about products I buy at the store - someone else with the virus could have touched them previously, and there's really nothing I can do about that, right?
You actually can. bag your stuff, keep it outside your door and take each item out individually and use some chlorox wipes, or fill a spray bottle with isopropyl (70%) or use a spray bottle filled with dillute bleach solution, spray it down, let it sit for a minute and wipe off with a paper towel and then set it inside. then wash your hands when you get inside and clean anything else you may have touched. if it's not perishable goods, you could also let them sit outside in the sun (assuming you have an area that's safe to leave stuff) and grab it at the end of the day which will reduce viral load a lot.

that said, surface contact for goods is probably not a worrisome vector unless it's like touching public transit handles and rails, door knobs, etc. so this is really overkill but it's totally doable and doesn't take much time.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 19:23 on May 13, 2020

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

actionjackson posted:

someone else with the virus could have touched them previously, and there's really nothing I can do about that, right?

I will never say there is no risk for this. But the main transmission is inhaled aerosols or droplets, so it's much more unlikely that you're going to get covid from packaging. Someone with the virus would have had to sneeze, or breathe, wipe mucus, cough, etc on it and you'd have to then get it home before enough of the virus particles died, and then touch your eyes or mouth. So I won't say it's impossible but it is rather unlikely

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Declan MacManus posted:

work (it’s a restaurant) is calling me back in, told me i have until 5 pm to decide if i want my job back

so now i get to decide if i want to expose myself to covid or risk them reporting me to the vec and terminating my unemployment

e: they sent a mass email out at 7 pm last night so less than 24 hours, very cool

As hard as it maybe you should quit that poo poo no restaurant job is worth risking you and your family's health

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

ahahahaha NPR just had a physician from my employer come on and say "we're going to have to learn to live with this" right after we were told in a 'town hall' zoom meeting that 'we're going to have to learn to live with this." very cool!

we're going to have to learn to die with this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Declan MacManus posted:

I would accept the job and then show up in full PPE and tell them any demand to take it off is an OSHA violation and you're happy to be laid off if they want to avoid you raising hell

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Bullfrog posted:

I will never say there is no risk for this. But the main transmission is inhaled aerosols or droplets, so it's much more unlikely that you're going to get covid from packaging. Someone with the virus would have had to sneeze, or breathe, wipe mucus, cough, etc on it and you'd have to then get it home before enough of the virus particles died, and then touch your eyes or mouth. So I won't say it's impossible but it is rather unlikely

can you cite a link or a source or anything that shows that fomites are not a significant form of transmission?

because i'm pretty sure sanitizing door handles is a good thing to do. and packaging gets touched by a lot more people than you think before it gets in your hands.

like "make sure to sanitize your airline seat" is the standard line from experts, but consumer goods are somehow exempt? "packaging is nothing to worry about" seems more like an attempt to protect the retail transaction experience and not people's health.

COVID-420 has issued a correction as of 19:29 on May 13, 2020

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/1260629164190818305

employer invents, asserts right to refuse coronavirus testing on behalf of his employees

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

strong mood energy with billy idol - eyes without a face

more like face without a mask lol

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1260525209246994432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sanitizing your airline seat isn't going to do poo poo because you're surrounded by hundreds of people for hours and there's no escape from breathing in their recycled exhalations. It's just propaganda to convince people they won't die from flying, but they will definitely die from flying. I've seen my last movie in a theater and flown on my last airplane. I'm at peace with it.