Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

And unfortunately now I know what Philip K Dick meant by "The milk is thoroughly pizzled".

fo shizzle my pizzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Does anyone have the actual quote of the Cuck Tales song?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

barbecue at the folks posted:

I was sure that could not have been a thing, a wikipedia trip later I stand corrected. Here's a nugget of information about how lion peepees can be serious business in Sweden:
Seems a straightforward swap, give dicks to the dicks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splicer posted:

Seems a straightforward swap, give dicks to the dicks

Why give people incentive to commit treason

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I want to hear more about the emus. I am Australian, so it just sounds extra emusing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If you want to hear more about the Ostrich and Emu bubble of the late 80s/early 90s I started a decent derail about it in this very thread starting here:

D-Pad posted:

I grew up on an ostrich farm. My parents started raising them very early on in the ostrich bubble that happened in the US in the late 80s and 90s because our neighbor was an exotic animal guy and was part of the original group that started the "industry" back then.

The hope was that they would take off as another type of meat and had the potential to become similar to cattle farming. It was mainly a bunch of rich guys at the beginning who traded them for stupid amounts of money at the beginning. My parents were getting 40k-75k for a good breeding pair and chicks would sell for $2,500 and it was easy to raise a ton.

The insane prices were because of their rarity in the states at the time. What actually happened was that every livestock person saw how much money could be made and started buying in. This created and sustained a bubble for 6-8 years before the market saturated and everybody looked around and realized they had a bunch of giant birds that nobody wanted the meat of and nobody else wanted to buy in at those prices and they became worthless over night and sold for less than the cost of feeding them.

My mom had begged for my dad to get out of the business that year and he wanted one more year and promised he would sell out then. He lost a fuckload of money, but since we had been poor before he got in and had several years of making six figures he came out ahead overall and then proceeded to lose it in another venture that actually would have worked but ran into extremely bad luck.

And that's how my family went from poor to rich and ended up solidly middle class because of giant birds and the weird decade of optimism that was the late 80s/early 90s

It sounds like John Lee's pappy got sucked into the market at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ahh, that one. Also this thread produces its own content:

Ariong posted:

That’s crazy.

Let’s put it all into ostrich breeding!
*years later*
We’re rich! Just as planned. Now for a more reasonable business vent-OH GOD WE’VE LOST EVERYTHING

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

oldpainless posted:

“Bless your heart”’is mostly said to girls with poppin hot booties

Now this I can get behind. All yankees, take note: 'bless your heart' is used to mean exclusively 'drat you sexy,' any other explanations you hear are deliberate misinformation.

And yeah, my elder relative got suckered into the emu-buying craze, then he got fed up and ate them. Pretty good in tacos!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

John Lee posted:

And yeah, my elder relative got suckered into the emu-buying craze, then he got fed up and ate them. Pretty good in tacos!

That isn't what they meant when they said you have a chance at eating your investment.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Oh my god, the emu thing was actually a thing? This explains some things from my childhood

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
To clarify: before my parents split, while they were still deep in the mutual fantasy world of religious extremism, we all lived in a small house in the backwoods of southeast Texas on an acre of poorly utilized land, where the five of us “homeschooled” kids ran around unsupervised all day eating clover and pretending to be animals. We had some cats and some dogs, and no actual friends. No public school, no neighborhood kids...

We went to church and homeschool meetings intermittently because my parents’ mental health didn’t really lend itself to getting five feral children into a van, fully dressed, on time. Sometimes my mother taught piano lessons to other homeschoolers, and sometimes those kids were allowed to play with us for a half hour afterward. We were also horribly awkward, socially inept little fucks with our own burgeoning mental health and trauma problems, and we weren’t popular even with the few kids we did see sometimes.

So we were quite isolated and constantly dreamed of finding magical portals to populated areas, psychic unicorns that would have conversations with us, secret populations of forest orphans, whatever. We were fairly desperate for friends of any kind.

One day an emu walked into our yard. My mom absolutely panicked and locked us all in the house and called Animal Control, which was almost thirty miles away in Tomball and frankly didn’t seem to believe her. She knew it was an emu, but why an emu? Was this some kind of spiritual warfare? Was Satan sending this weird haystack with a blue neck to curse us all with rabies?

To my sister and I, this was nothing short of the miracle we had always wanted. Sure, not exactly a unicorn, but fuckin look at the thing, it has to be magical somehow. This thing was definitely from Narnia. It looked just the right size to carry kids around on its back, and it was FAST.

We lured it to the bedroom window with sandwich bread and hung out with it for a while. It seemed to like us, and while it couldn’t psychically communicate yet, that would probably develop with the deep emotional heart bond that would someday connect us as we ran through the forest together, seeking the portal to its mystical fairyland home.

My mom walked in to find my sister hugging its neck, and me trying my goddamnedest to establish a psychic link by staring into its goblin eyes. She screamed and screamed, and Animal Control (who had just arrived) raced around the corner of the house to find my sister and me weeping and clinging to this garbage reject ostrich, begging to keep it forever.

Animal Control did a great job of not taking the bird. They convinced my mom that there was a big market for exotic birds right now, that they laid huge eggs, that they ate cheap chicken feed and fire ants, and that they were in fact an ideal yard animal for a single-acre family of religious lunatics in the forest. We named her Tin Lizzie and kept her for almost six months before she had finished destroying the entire front half of the acre, run away six times, beat up the neighbor’s malamute, and utterly failed to establish any kind of psychic heart bond with any of us. Eventually my mom called some guy one of her piano students knew, and he picked the bird up and took her away, and we went back to cats and dogs and imaginary half-fairy half-mermaid friends.

Up until literally just now I had no idea why an emu might have been wandering free in the woods of southeast Texas, and there have been times I wonder if I somehow dreamed it. Now I guess Tin Lizzie was just a cast-off victim of the emu boom. She never did lay any eggs.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Antivehicular posted:

I believe it was the n-word

I thought the n word was "grandmas"

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This is an amazing post. Thank you :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

elise the great posted:

To clarify: before my parents split, while they were still deep in the mutual fantasy world of religious extremism, we all lived in a small house in the backwoods of southeast Texas on an acre of poorly utilized land, where the five of us “homeschooled” kids ran around unsupervised all day eating clover and pretending to be animals. We had some cats and some dogs, and no actual friends. No public school, no neighborhood kids...

We went to church and homeschool meetings intermittently because my parents’ mental health didn’t really lend itself to getting five feral children into a van, fully dressed, on time. Sometimes my mother taught piano lessons to other homeschoolers, and sometimes those kids were allowed to play with us for a half hour afterward. We were also horribly awkward, socially inept little fucks with our own burgeoning mental health and trauma problems, and we weren’t popular even with the few kids we did see sometimes.

So we were quite isolated and constantly dreamed of finding magical portals to populated areas, psychic unicorns that would have conversations with us, secret populations of forest orphans, whatever. We were fairly desperate for friends of any kind.

One day an emu walked into our yard. My mom absolutely panicked and locked us all in the house and called Animal Control, which was almost thirty miles away in Tomball and frankly didn’t seem to believe her. She knew it was an emu, but why an emu? Was this some kind of spiritual warfare? Was Satan sending this weird haystack with a blue neck to curse us all with rabies?

To my sister and I, this was nothing short of the miracle we had always wanted. Sure, not exactly a unicorn, but fuckin look at the thing, it has to be magical somehow. This thing was definitely from Narnia. It looked just the right size to carry kids around on its back, and it was FAST.

We lured it to the bedroom window with sandwich bread and hung out with it for a while. It seemed to like us, and while it couldn’t psychically communicate yet, that would probably develop with the deep emotional heart bond that would someday connect us as we ran through the forest together, seeking the portal to its mystical fairyland home.

My mom walked in to find my sister hugging its neck, and me trying my goddamnedest to establish a psychic link by staring into its goblin eyes. She screamed and screamed, and Animal Control (who had just arrived) raced around the corner of the house to find my sister and me weeping and clinging to this garbage reject ostrich, begging to keep it forever.

Animal Control did a great job of not taking the bird. They convinced my mom that there was a big market for exotic birds right now, that they laid huge eggs, that they ate cheap chicken feed and fire ants, and that they were in fact an ideal yard animal for a single-acre family of religious lunatics in the forest. We named her Tin Lizzie and kept her for almost six months before she had finished destroying the entire front half of the acre, run away six times, beat up the neighbor’s malamute, and utterly failed to establish any kind of psychic heart bond with any of us. Eventually my mom called some guy one of her piano students knew, and he picked the bird up and took her away, and we went back to cats and dogs and imaginary half-fairy half-mermaid friends.

Up until literally just now I had no idea why an emu might have been wandering free in the woods of southeast Texas, and there have been times I wonder if I somehow dreamed it. Now I guess Tin Lizzie was just a cast-off victim of the emu boom. She never did lay any eggs.

:emptyquote: for the quote thread

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was out drinking with a group of people and the conversation touched on prostitution so one guy volunteers that he had hired a prostitute once, in Amsterdam, when he was there with his mate. Then he checks himself and tells his common-law wife sitting beside him "oh that was before I met you, honey!" and she replies "you've only been to Amsterdam once and I drove you two to the airport".

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

barbecue at the folks posted:

This is an amazing post. Thank you :allears:

They’re coming from inside the thread. Elise, you are a treasure.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dixville posted:

I thought the n word was "grandmas"

It was both, at different points in time

Amazing story elise btw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My experience as an Australian with emus is mostly that they are extremely silly looking and take massive, disgusting shits. They also apparently eat pretty much anything to a goatlike degree, including money left unattended.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My experience as an Australian with emus is mostly that they are extremely silly looking and take massive, disgusting shits. They also apparently eat pretty much anything to a goatlike degree, including money left unattended.

Are you sure that was an emu and not just an Australian?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the Australian experience with emus was humiliating military defeat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

I thought the Australian experience with emus was humiliating military defeat.

Well yeah, if them eating our money and making GBS threads all over the place didn't suggest that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The king of the hill episode where buck strickland says "You gots to get rid of my emus hank" and hands the men a shotgun and sends them off in some field with a bunch of emus and bill feeds them and the credit sequence where theres a bunch of emus standing around where they usually stand around drinking beer but for funny forums quotes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EorayMel posted:

The king of the hill episode where buck strickland says "You gots to get rid of my emus hank" and hands the men a shotgun and sends them off in some field with a bunch of emus and bill feeds them and the credit sequence where theres a bunch of emus standing around where they usually stand around drinking beer but for funny forums quotes

That's the episode where I just can't get over how funny the way they say 'emu' is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's the episode where I just can't get over how funny the way they say 'emu' is.

How do they pronounce it?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

'emu'

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

No way, that's wild.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh. That is funny!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inceltown posted:

Are you sure that was an emu and not just an Australian?

All emus are Australian but not all Australians are emus.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As a European, this is my experience with EMUs as well.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 22:34 on May 14, 2020

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

As a European, this is my experience with the Australians as well.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh. That is funny!

Very emusing!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Knight posted:

Subject: Your family member (SS# 123-45-6789) has died
Message: Hi Knight, Your family member has died! You'll find tracking information below; please note that it may take up to 24 hours for your tracking number(s) to return any information.

Facility: Tempe Senior Living
Tracking #: 123-45-6789

Tracking History
4/30/20 10:52 AM - Family member infected at Tempe Senior Living
5/6/20 11:04 PM - Family member tested, confirmed positive for COVID-19
5/13/20 3:17 AM - Dead
5/13/20 6:30 AM - Out for delivery
5/14/20 8:10 AM - Family member left on resident's porch

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Unrealistic.

Tracking updates skip a bunch of steps these days. You just get like “label printed” and and maybe “it’s in your town now”.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
A "neat" spin on an old joke...

Grevling posted:

Of course not, everyone knows religion is bull but mediums have been known to be correct sometimes.

RandomFerret posted:

I see... a man. Mid 30s, overweight, large beard that would be impressive if it was groomed better... he's sitting alone... the room he's in is messy but there are expensive items in it, mostly electronics... he has enough money to live comfortably but he isn't happy, and the fact that he isn't happy makes him feel worse... he thinks he should have taken that opportunity to move to the coast ten years ago... he hates who he is but he's terrified of making any big changes, so he just lives in a gay baby jail of his own making

*accidentally nudges mouse with elbow*

Ah, the vision has left me

Lysistrata has a new favorite as of 01:50 on May 15, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Context is unnecessary.

Paladinus posted:

Piss > poo poo.

Lobok posted:

Actually, one is less than two.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pee > poop quote

This is actually dependent on the endianness of your architecture.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Americans say "ee-moo". It's actually pronounced "eem-yoo".

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tiggum posted:

Americans say "ee-moo". It's actually pronounced "eem-yoo".

If that’s where your bar is for something to be so funny that you can’t get over it, I can’t imagine what happens when you hear a joke.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its tiggum, my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Google tells me "emu" comes from the Portuguese word for "ostrich." This is deeply upsetting. It's as bad as working out that "Nullarbor" is actually Latin and "echidna" is greek.
Probably "kangaroo" will turn out to be French-Canadian or something next.