Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow the new class can go suck a bag of dicks.
They seemed to put effort to make Hunter less degenerate and then forgot everything they learned and released this abomination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It used to be even worse right after the expansion released.

At least they recognized that they hosed up and issued the fastest nerfs in the history of the game.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Im on the fence BC it's filled with a wide variety of degenerate combo and control decks which is good, but all those decks beat the poo poo out of my favourite degenerate mill decks which is bad. Reverted Raza priest feels so bad to play against but it's a great deck to play and build

It's an even better deck to play against when you run Bomb Warrior

I cannot get over how many people simply don't know how highlander cards actually work, and seeing a turn 5 deactivated raza drop followed by a concede is :discourse:

Honestly though, it definitely feels more fun to play in Wild right now just because there's a wider variety of viable decks. Probably my most hated is Quest Mage still, mind. God did Licensed Adventurer give that monster a serious power boost.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Best card draw, hero power is a straight up a better version of rogue's, easy silence, crazy good aggro cards and with a non-interactive late/mid game finishers fitting of the Mage? I doubt it's an oopsie fuckup, it's clearly overtuned on purpose.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I doubt it's an oopsie fuckup, it's clearly overtuned on purpose.

I mean any doubts of this should have been cleared when they revealed Kayn.

Who isn't even that great, it's just the fact Kayn exists as a card :v:

Olpainless posted:

Probably my most hated is Quest Mage still, mind. God did Licensed Adventurer give that monster a serious power boost.

Can we also take a second to appreciate the least effective nerf in the game's history with Open the Waygate. Maybe tied with Glaivebound Adept.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jack Trades posted:

Best card draw, hero power is a straight up a better version of rogue's, easy silence, crazy good aggro cards and with a non-interactive late/mid game finishers fitting of the Mage? I doubt it's an oopsie fuckup, it's clearly overtuned on purpose.

The only thing worse than it being OP is for it to be a lovely class that no one wanted to play. It probably wouldn't recover from that for a long time, if ever, even if Team 5 buffed the cards. So it's way better for them to release it as OP, and tune as necessary. And they have nerfed it twice, and it wouldn't surprise many of us if Priestess got nerfed in some way in the future. Team 5 is doing a way better job on keeping the meta balanced than they've ever done before, so the fact that it's now OP (although Hsreplay.net shows Highlander Hunter beating Tempo DH for wins in the meta) is not nearly the concern it would have been a few years back.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Releasing it as OP as it was only bred contempt for the class though, which I'd argue is going to stick around a lot longer.

To be honest they should have never released a tenth class to begin with, and it smacks to me more a corporate decision than a creative one. Maybe that's a bit :tinfoil: but given Blizzard-Activision's record the past couple of years, I wouldn't be shocked if that's the case.

Edit: Like I could pretty easily imagine an Outland set that had Outcast as one of the set mechanics for all classes, and Illidan as a Lich King/Ysera style card that gave you "DH" cards.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 13, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think if they continue to keep a close eye and make adjustments then people will be happier. There was certainly panic when it first hit the boards though, the class was friggin insane. Had it been underpowered then people would be (imo justifiably) mad about getting cards that were useless in play. That would not have been good for anyone.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think DH is cool and fine as a concept they just need to take away like 1 or 2 of the things it does well because it's kind of dumb and ridiculous that it has like 5 of them.

I enjoy playing a version of the tutoring DH recipe, and a lot of people get head faked by it because they always think I'm playing tempo. Which would probably win more games but it's not as fun.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Even now that it's 'balanced' it's still lovely and unfun to play as or against.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Sloppy posted:

Even now that it's 'balanced' it's still lovely and unfun to play as or against.
Oh are we talking about Priest again?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Priest is loving ridiculous but in a completely different way

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

After playing more as Maiev I give up, if I do well it is in spite of her HP and not because of it. She needs to get at least +2/+2 and that's probably still not good enough. Or lose the +1/+1 but have them be dormant just for a single turn.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
So, I'm playing BGs and in the process of pulling off a perfect Noz win. I can't remember what turn it is, but I teched fast and am at 5 star. I play vs Vashj, who has the extremely bizarre board of a golden Zapp and several divine shield murlocs, none of which have poison or more than single digit HP. I come very close to knocking them out, but they survive with 2hp. Next turn (it might be 2 turns after, but I am almost certain it was 1 turn), I am reviewing the board and see that Vashj just did 30(!) damage to another player and KO'd them. "Wow", I thought "That Zapp must have done real work".

Then, 2 turns after that, after Vashj has KO'd a 2nd player, I play vs them again and they have this completely ridiculous board with 40-50 hp+ poison murlocs, golden brann, and double mackerel. I survive since I was at 40 hp and when I play them again for 2nd place, they now they have 3 mackerels, so I guess one was golden. Is there some sort of trick here? Insane luck? The player had to have been sitting on cards to make any of this conceivably possible. Maybe a Brann or two pus t3 murlocs? and then they tier to 5 and get the double mackerel? But I still don't see how that first 30 damage turn happens. Wtf.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I dont know if it's what they did but i've seen streamers brann + double kadghar for like 10 triples using token generators in one turn allowing them to fully transition or upgrade their build.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Golden brann and a single primalfin gets way out of hand almost immediately. Definitely tests your apm pretty hard. Sounds like they nutted out and rolled multiple primalfins on top of it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

NorgLyle posted:

Oh are we talking about Priest again?

I almost added 'I'd prefer a priest meta over this'

Which is true.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

CRAYON posted:

I dont know if it's what they did but i've seen streamers brann + double kadghar for like 10 triples using token generators in one turn allowing them to fully transition or upgrade their build.

No Wave posted:

Golden brann and a single primalfin gets way out of hand almost immediately. Definitely tests your apm pretty hard. Sounds like they nutted out and rolled multiple primalfins on top of it.

These both make sense. Might have even been a combination of the two. First explains why his board was a big minion and junk tokens at first, second explains the mechanics of how it got out of control so fast.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
BG talk: Kael is mid-tier. He's solid and can easily compete for top 4, but nowhere as good as the top.
Maeiv is above average, but goodness does she feel bad to play. Getting a minion for 1 gold is still worth more than locking 2 tavern spaces. She normally takes the lead at 7 gold and can remain ahead of everyone else till late game.
Never tried Vashj yet, but all the Vashj i see crash out bottom 4.
This is around 8k mmr.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Eeepies posted:

BG talk: Kael is mid-tier. He's solid and can easily compete for top 4, but nowhere as good as the top.
Maeiv is above average, but goodness does she feel bad to play. Getting a minion for 1 gold is still worth more than locking 2 tavern spaces. She normally takes the lead at 7 gold and can remain ahead of everyone else till late game.
Never tried Vashj yet, but all the Vashj i see crash out bottom 4.
This is around 8k mmr.

I mean even 12k players screw up their first time with Vashj

AnacondaHL posted:

immediately the first "how to 'play' Vashj" clip is generated

https://clips.twitch.tv/CooperativeBovinePlumTinyFace

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://i.imgur.com/d0bQUvh.mp4

Well that's a new one.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Anybody have a fun deck for this week's brawl? I went evocation, incanter's flow, font of power, apexis blast and was one and done. Played a DH with mana burn, kayn, altruis, and twin slice.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

CRAYON posted:

this game was p funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpDydEuHTuc

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

RatHat posted:

Well that's a new one.

No, it’s a year or two old now. It will forever be the only Paladin hero I ever use. Too bad I still almost never use it because I don’t like the class very much.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Think he means the lower jaw migrating off screen.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

lol how did i not notice that

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fanny packrat posted:

Anybody have a fun deck for this week's brawl? I went evocation, incanter's flow, font of power, apexis blast and was one and done. Played a DH with mana burn, kayn, altruis, and twin slice.

I picked up an evolve shaman combo off hearthpwn that was pretty fun. I wish there were more rewards for playing brawls. Like every Wednesday you automatically get a play 5 quest.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

fanny packrat posted:

Cogmaster/Mechwarper/Galvanizer/Snip-Snap was a quick 3-0 for me, people haven't been prepared for a quick all-in dump. I might have just gotten lucky - one guy had Ragnaros and other big stuff and another had Pogos, the 3/2 shuffle copies Lab Tech guy, Dragon's Hoard, and a mystery card he didn't get to play. Not sure what you're supposed to do there besides play 3/2s when someone bans your Pogos.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Cogmaster/Mechwarper/Galvanizer/Snip-Snap was a quick 3-0 for me, people haven't been prepared for a quick all-in dump. I might have just gotten lucky - one guy had Ragnaros and other big stuff and another had Pogos, the 3/2 shuffle copies Lab Tech guy, Dragon's Hoard, and a mystery card he didn't get to play. Not sure what you're supposed to do there besides play 3/2s when someone bans your Pogos.

You hope pogo is the mystery card. I went Mechwarper, snip snap, fireworks tech and zilliax, and the guy banned zilliax.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I went sorc apprentice, frostbolt, unstable portal, arcane intellect. He banned my AI and I kept him perma-frozen so he couldn't pull off whatever second slice antics he was up to.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

First returns are in on the new heroes on HSreplay.

It's only at 6k+ MMR/top 50% since 7.2k/top 20% is still too low of a sample size, but the rankings are generally pretty similar - excluding ones that don't qualify, both lists have identical top 12 heroes and bottom 4 heroes in the exact same order.

As of right now, Kael'Thas is slightly ahead of Deryl for first overall in tier 1, Vashj is between A. F. Kay and Bartendotron in tier 3, and Maeiv is right behind Jaraxxus (ahead of only Putricide and Galakrond) at the tail end of tier 4.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

ultrachrist posted:

I went sorc apprentice, frostbolt, unstable portal, arcane intellect. He banned my AI and I kept him perma-frozen so he couldn't pull off whatever second slice antics he was up to.

Nice. Mage always seems like such a strong pick for these brawls.

I just had one of my best runs ever, after spending 90 minutes last night playing and ultimately losing one star. Tonight I climbed from P5 to D7 with something like 3 losses. Last night I never had enough combo pieces at once to make things happen, tonight my decks were in the right order.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Power of Pecota posted:

First returns are in on the new heroes on HSreplay.

It's only at 6k+ MMR/top 50% since 7.2k/top 20% is still too low of a sample size, but the rankings are generally pretty similar - excluding ones that don't qualify, both lists have identical top 12 heroes and bottom 4 heroes in the exact same order.

As of right now, Kael'Thas is slightly ahead of Deryl for first overall in tier 1, Vashj is between A. F. Kay and Bartendotron in tier 3, and Maeiv is right behind Jaraxxus (ahead of only Putricide and Galakrond) at the tail end of tier 4.

The deck tracker has only been live for a couple of hours, so take the data with a grain of salt.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I just beat a shudderwock with 17 triples as murlocs I didn't even know that it was possible to get that many triples and he got that many a couple turns before I beat him. I took a screenshot just because I could not believe my eyes at the amount.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Aaod posted:

I just beat a shudderwock with 17 triples as murlocs I didn't even know that it was possible to get that many triples and he got that many a couple turns before I beat him. I took a screenshot just because I could not believe my eyes at the amount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpDydEuHTuc

Posted just a bit upthread

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo Wild Pirate Warrior is busted.

I just faced off against a Reno Mage, had him down to 3 by turn 5... And then I blitzed him back down to 3 again, the very next turn after he coined out the healing Reno, thanks to some lucky hits from a Cannon.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
is Treant Druid any good? just unpacked a golden Goru and wondering if there's any point in keeping him

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Julio Cruz posted:

is Treant Druid any good? just unpacked a golden Goru and wondering if there's any point in keeping him

Not at the moment, Druid is very nearly in the bottom tier with Paladin and Shaman. Maybe next set?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Sometimes I dream of a magical land in a magical time in which quest paladin gets another chance that does not involve having N'zoths swarming out of the depth to infest these lands. I feel like it's classic WoW all over again with how paladin does not get any love and merely gets some stinky books. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

At least in Wild, you can have total blowout games with the Paladin Mech package... though even with that, you basically live or die based on your opening hand or first few draws.