Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VRViperII posted:

Items top out at 45 or 50 depending on item type. Don’t sweat a lvl 45, it’s max in most cases.

If you didn’t finish the wayward questline, there is a god roll sledgehammer as a reward, if you put your token in the two handed melee machine at the end.

If you are looking for something good and functional my recommendation is to visit everyone’s shops. Lots of decent items for sale cheap out there. Mrmmrr has been very kind at times, and a real bitch at others.

Awesome, I haven’t started the wayward line yet, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did someone censor that bird?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tenzarin posted:

Did someone censor that bird?

Oh you haven't heard? Lucky, you.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Mayor for a Day (in Watoga, cranberry bog) also gives a legendary hammer. 2star supersledge with weight reduction and a tad boost to health. Also comes with the heavy rocket mod attached.

The wayward sledgehammer has a swing speed modifier and iirc bloodied. So if nothing else nab them both and see whether you want to do a bloodied or non-bloodied (full hp) build.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Mayor for a Day (in Watoga, cranberry bog) also gives a legendary hammer. 2star supersledge with weight reduction and a tad boost to health. Also comes with the heavy rocket mod attached.

The wayward sledgehammer has a swing speed modifier and iirc bloodied. So if nothing else nab them both and see whether you want to do a bloodied or non-bloodied (full hp) build.

Yeah unfortunately I finished that quest before I was 50 so I have that hammer but it's level 40. I'm using it now but hoping I can ultimately do better.

I'm thinking about using my scrip to try and piece together a 2 star set of armor as a power armor alternative? It seems like using all my scrip hoping for sledges or super sledges might be real frustrating.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah unfortunately I finished that quest before I was 50 so I have that hammer but it's level 40. I'm using it now but hoping I can ultimately do better.

I'm thinking about using my scrip to try and piece together a 2 star set of armor as a power armor alternative? It seems like using all my scrip hoping for sledges or super sledges might be real frustrating.

Yeah, I like getting a decent 2 star armor set as one of my first scrip sinks. The rng for weapons is really lovely since there are soooo many possible rolls when all melee weapons are included, and alot of them are in no way viable. Seems like at least with armor there are more options that can be viable as long as it’s max level.

Really I wish they would add more legendary craft recipes in general to reduce the rng. Like just have the molelady sells components and maybe even recipes and then rng just comes into play for the stats (like with the new bullion gear). At least that way you can kind of plan better what to expect.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The best way to get the legendary armor you want would be to just server hop around and look at player shops. Prices have gone up since wastelanders came out. I still sell 1 star unyielding armor myself for 500 caps but it quickly goes and you could expect to pay alittle over 1k caps per piece now.

Sadly 3 star legendaries are the best melee weapons with bloody/junkie and then 25% faster attacks and +1 str. If you are just trying for a bloody i would say either buy 1 stars from the purvoyer or serverhop shop. 2 star legendaries are the best guns get with either bloody/junkies + explosive if its not an energy weapon and then bloody/junkies + 25 faster fire rate if it is an energy weapon.

The new plan weapons you buy with bullion are really the best way to get a weapon you want if you can because you can just craft that weapon.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

So the only ways I know of to farm faction rep are:

- Each faction's daily side mission (and donate and get lesser reward for more rep)
- Sell pictures to the other faction in Davenport's mission
- Trading mirelurk meat to the raiders
- Server hop and farm random encounter areas, where it takes like 15 encounters for each faction to equal a daily (if you even get one or any faction instead of monsters), which is not tedious at all

Are there other things I don't know about?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

The new plan weapons you buy with bullion are really the best way to get a weapon you want if you can because you can just craft that weapon.

Same with the armor tbh. It outclasses every other armor.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm now level 37 and not sweating it, found a nice 3-star robot armor leg that gives me +1 luck, +DR when I'm at full health and another effect I can't remember now, wearing a hodgepodge of various armor pieces I found and for weapons I'm still sporting a lvl20 instigating hunting rifle as my main weapon and a lvl30 heavily modded combat rifle, I didn't even bother leveling the rifleman perks yet, I have both the available ones but at 1 star. I also got the 2 commando perks available at my level but still haven't bothered much with automatics because a) I can't find handmades or assault rifles to scrap and get mods, b) 5.56 ammo is disgustingly rare and I just now unlocked the ammosmith perk which should allow me to make some more; even with semi-auto weapons that use common ammo I'm always starving for it .... well not really, I have like 250 .308 rounds and 600 .45 rounds, but that's with semiautos and crafting ammo every time I get back to CAMP.

I kinda want to try putting an auto receiver on the combat rifle though, I just recently unlocked a powerful automatic receiver which only reduces damage from 47 to 43 but doubles fire rate, that should be fun if I can craft/find/buy a lot of .45 cal rounds.

Still somehow managing to have fun with the game!

E; also I made a recon scope for my hunting rifle but besides being in b&w (which is kinda cool), it doesn't do anything; never marked an enemy by itself, should I be pushing some button or something?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 12, 2020

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Roman posted:

Are there other things I don't know about?

When you get the Retirement Plan raider daily if you convince the former raider to join foundation (8 charisma, so may need to pop grape mentats) then you get settler rep. I think it’s comparable to a daily or to the mirelurk thing.

TorakFade posted:

E; also I made a recon scope for my hunting rifle but besides being in b&w (which is kinda cool), it doesn't do anything; never marked an enemy by itself, should I be pushing some button or something?

It should put a little diamond over their head after you keep the scope sighted on them for a sec or two. Should also see the diamond on the compass bar. It should be the same symbol as when there is a quest objective on a person.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So is this "log cabin" building just a little shack that you drop or is it actually useful and lets you make log cabin walls?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Floppychop posted:

So is this "log cabin" building just a little shack that you drop or is it actually useful and lets you make log cabin walls?
Looks like prefab only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUznCfSpQug

It's funny because if Fallout 76 leaned more into the camp building part of the game, I might give it another shot, but reading through the updates and community feedback it looks like it's still incredibly limited and tied to Atomic Shop purchases.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
New roadmap is supposedly dropping thursday.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you sign up for a year of First do they give you your 17,000 atoms or whatever it is all at once?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

New roadmap is supposedly dropping thursday.

I'm almost willing to bet it will just be "here's some more cosmetics" to try and leech off the whales.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Will prob be like next meat weeks, some new event at one point, maybe a new small quest chain. That's how they added the nukashine questline and the imposter sheepsquach.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Meat week could be cool for the extra public events and treasury notes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There are some things determined from the last couple of updates that could be clues, but I can not find any info. Reddit takes down posts related to that specific stuff by Bethesda request and videos with those leaks get copyright takedowns.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Having played both factions to the penultimate quest and rolled the vault with the Raiders, i feel like the game is a solid 4/10. It feels more like a proof of concept for an actual game, which is better than the DNF that launch was. The new NPCs cosplaying as the dead factions (Responders, military, ect) feel pathetic and highlight how badly the game needed a hard reboot. There's no satisfying bosses or endgame beyond Atom grind, either.

I have some questions regarding both factions and 79's conclusion:
*With the Settlers, is there any way to confront Hornwright for all of the awful prr-war poo poo she's responsible for (namely being responsible for turning the Ash Heap into the hellhole it currently is?) Does the Chinese ghoul have anything beyond the canned barks once she moves into Foundation, despite promising to elaborate about the Chinese enforcement group that hasn't dropped its flags yet?

Regarding the Raiders raiding 79: is there any fate for Johnny other than getting shot up?There seemed to be context for Meg slapping a compliance collar on him and keeping him as a personal boytoy. His corpse didn't even gib after eating three turrets worth of laser, which was disappointing.

Regarding the raid conclusion: was there no way to donate a portion of *your* cut to the faction left out? I was only given the option of 50/50, take it all for yourself, or leave 250 B for each faction.

I suspect I already know the answers to these, since half-assing is Bethesda's M.O. for the Fallout franchise. Surprises would be appreciated, though.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Discospawn posted:

It's funny because if Fallout 76 leaned more into the camp building part of the game, I might give it another shot, but reading through the updates and community feedback it looks like it's still incredibly limited and tied to Atomic Shop purchases.
CAMP building is my current endgame and almost nothing I use comes from the atom shop. When you scroll to an item the locks are things you need in-game plans to build but don't have yet and things with the atom symbol are purchased from the atom shop. Don't forget that you can press d-pad left or right to show more styles. What looks like a single item might have a dozen very different styles under one slot. The selection of structures and furniture is very strong and almost all of it is unlocked with in-game plans, not atoms.

The big exception is floor and wall styles like tiling, wallpaper, etc. For those you do have to spend atoms or your floors and walls will never be anything but faded wood. Sometimes they're on sale for as much as 90% off though. IMO if you like base building then floor and wall styles should be your priority purchase with the free atoms you earn and then you will be set. Besides walls and floors the only cash shop item I care about is the greenhouse dome. If you haven't been to Whitesprings resort you should go there and visit the shops in the basement. There's a huge amount of nice plans available for caps there. Players also frequently sell plans for caps on their vending machines cheaply too since you can't sell plans to NPCs.

Father Wendigo posted:

Regarding the Raiders raiding 79: is there any fate for Johnny other than getting shot up?There seemed to be context for Meg slapping a compliance collar on him and keeping him as a personal boytoy. His corpse didn't even gib after eating three turrets worth of laser, which was disappointing.

With the correct dialogue options you can talk him out of his betrayal completely by convincing him it would be a bad idea for him in the long run and he'd be better served by staying loyal.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 13, 2020

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

With the correct dialogue options you can talk him out of his betrayal completely by convincing him it would be a bad idea for him in the long run and he'd be better served by staying loyal.
Interesting. He never even had the opportunity to betray anyone in my run, the Vault 79 computer recognized him as a convicted felon and ventilated him.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 13, 2020

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
My wife and I are on the fence on getting fallout 76 with a 1st subscription so we can play together. Some family and friends might hop on from time to time, but its mostly just for us. Both of us love FO4 and play it all the time, but wish we could just hop in together.

Provided money is no issue, what would the experience be like for just 2 players in that huge world. Would there be anything glaringly missing? We know it won't be as "lived in" as fallout 4, but we'll just accept that as the cost of playing together.

I'm asking here bc its hard to get a straight answer elsewhere. Mostly people arguing whether 1st should he a paid service or not. Or the ten thousandth "76 sucks" review video.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I've put in a LOT of time since Wastelanders, mostly solo except for events with randos. It's very very rare that anyone PVPs or tries to mess with you. With the human NPCs it's pretty much a regular Fallout game if you want it to be. With 2 people working together and building bases and all that you should enjoy yourselves.

As for 1st, I would just get one month for now and see if it's anything you would want to keep playing past a month. Scrapbox and the tent/fast travel point is really helpful.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

central dogma posted:

My wife and I are on the fence on getting fallout 76 with a 1st subscription so we can play together. Some family and friends might hop on from time to time, but its mostly just for us. Both of us love FO4 and play it all the time, but wish we could just hop in together.

Provided money is no issue, what would the experience be like for just 2 players in that huge world. Would there be anything glaringly missing? We know it won't be as "lived in" as fallout 4, but we'll just accept that as the cost of playing together.

I'm asking here bc its hard to get a straight answer elsewhere. Mostly people arguing whether 1st should he a paid service or not. Or the ten thousandth "76 sucks" review video.

Some of the events would be very hard to do with just you two, but it is very doable and the private servers are more stable than public.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

central dogma posted:

You really don't need a private server to play together. There's hardly any PvP going on, just set yourselves to Pacifist On and play on the public servers.

Like the other posters mentioned above, private servers are a lot more stable and some of the endgame events will be impossible (without God tier builds), but overall the game doesn't really change that much. I rarely interact with players unless I'm specifically visiting their CAMP for poo poo to buy.

Also, just FYI, private servers only exist for as long as you are on them and for 15 minutes after you leave. They aren't like a Conan Exiles or ARK server, where things continue to persist.

Lastly, only one of you would need to have FO1st -- you can invite players without FO1st into your private world and they can play with you there.

btw if you're gonna play with people you know a lot, you can make cool little cities by setting up your CAMPs close together. its kinda neato and playing house and pretty prince dressup takes up the majority of my time now

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 13, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
there are so many worse things to be worried about, but it still saddens me a bit that bethesda's getting away with and being rewarding for their gently caress you to their customers.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In the last month I've played almost every day, and I literally never interacted with anyone beyond using the "hello" emote (after 30 seconds of awkward fiddling with the stupid emote menu)

I go to events, people don't even acknowledge you usually, you all just shoot monsters and get rewarded if you don't fail. I have pacifist mode on but no one even tried to shoot me, ever. It's been ... quiet. I actually wish sometimes people would try and interact a bit more, which feels strange to me because I just wanted Fallout 5 really

also Fallout 1st is terribly expensive for a thing that gates content that should really be there for free in the first place but that's just my opinion

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

central dogma posted:

My wife and I have played together for a while and we both got over level 100. You absolutely don't need 1st, we played on public servers. We never joined with any random people, and occasionally did the public events with other people without any problems. People can't PvP you without you fighting back first, so you can just ignore any dickhead shooting at you as they can't kill you until you shoot back, so it's just amusing when people try. The only time they can is when you claim or defend a workshop, so just check your map if any high levels if you're worried about it (I was only killed twice by that).

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Nice thats all good to know. We're not scared of pvp or anything, we just didn't want a bunch of players bunny hopping all over the place when we're trying to chill. I guess 24 players per world just seems like it would be crowded.

Sounds like we don't need to have 1st for a relatively peaceful experience, though! I'm neutral on them charging for 1st. If they wanted to go the ESO route and monetize via subscription and cash shop, they should have just went whole hog and made a Fallout mmo. But at the end of the day, 1st doesn't cost much and only one person needs to have it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TorakFade posted:

In the last month I've played almost every day, and I literally never interacted with anyone beyond using the "hello" emote (after 30 seconds of awkward fiddling with the stupid emote menu)

I go to events, people don't even acknowledge you usually, you all just shoot monsters and get rewarded if you don't fail. I have pacifist mode on but no one even tried to shoot me, ever. It's been ... quiet. I actually wish sometimes people would try and interact a bit more, which feels strange to me because I just wanted Fallout 5 really

also Fallout 1st is terribly expensive for a thing that gates content that should really be there for free in the first place but that's just my opinion

If 1st was $5 a month I think it'd be fine and I'd probably subscribe at least some of the time. $12.99 is ridiculous.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

central dogma posted:

Nice thats all good to know. We're not scared of pvp or anything, we just didn't want a bunch of players bunny hopping all over the place when we're trying to chill. I guess 24 players per world just seems like it would be crowded.

Sounds like we don't need to have 1st for a relatively peaceful experience, though! I'm neutral on them charging for 1st. If they wanted to go the ESO route and monetize via subscription and cash shop, they should have just went whole hog and made a Fallout mmo. But at the end of the day, 1st doesn't cost much and only one person needs to have it.

yeah it's EXTREMELY not crowded, it's very surprising when i just happen across someone

what i conject is that you'll start playing and the first time one of you hits a full stash you'll have a big think about whether or not 1st is worth it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

If 1st was $5 a month I think it'd be fine and I'd probably subscribe at least some of the time. $12.99 is ridiculous.

I agree with this, but the scrap box should be in game for everyone. Building and maintenance is such a huge part of the game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Soooooo

What's the endgame?

I recently reached 50 and I wonder what the endgame is? Dailies? CAMP? Waste bullets on the SBQ?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It's pretty much make your own fun after that. Want to grind lvls that don't matter? Want to grind for better weapons that don't really matter? Shoot some nukes and wander around?

I would just take the daily vendor cap limit, daily gold bullion limit, and daily scrip limit, and when those are done fo76 is pretty much done for the day.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Soooooo

What's the endgame?

I recently reached 50 and I wonder what the endgame is? Dailies? CAMP? Waste bullets on the SBQ?

The endgame is getting 50 cents worth of MTX currency every day.

We're over a year and a half past release and Bethesda's still flying blind in their attempts to make enjoyable endgame gameplay [see Radiation Rumble for more details]. Maybe they'll figure out something with the arena set piece that gets used once in a story mission before being forgotten? Who knows.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
has game been fixed

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Endgame is finishing the quests, exploring the places you want, have fun shooting mobs (or other players) and doing events... and that might be it? I'm not there yet but I mean, in a normal offline RPG you just finish the story, explore the map, and once you're bored that's it. Maybe restart and make different choices during quests?

I don't know why people expect an online game, especially one with no subscription fee, to automatically provide endless entertainment; I've already played something like 40 hours and I'm lvl 37, I think I have another 20-30 hours in front of me before even getting to the "end" and having my build with all the perks I want (nevermind that I only explored like 1/5th of the map yet, there's plenty of places I haven't been even in the forest) and by then I'll have got my money's worth twice over. Then I could start another character, or abandon the game and go play something else, it's just the nature of things :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be glad if they made the game more enjoyable at high levels, but I find it super weird that no one expects most offline games to provide literal infinite hours of enjoyment, but somehow online games are expected to do just that and possibly for free. Fallout 76 might have been a bad game at release, right now it's an OK game that you can find for 20€ or so and at that price it's definitely worth it if you like Bethesda games, but it's still an RPG at its core, not a balanced competitive shooter and definitely not an MMO.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You are just asking someone to say the "mods add infinite replay value" argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maggy posted:

has game been fixed
kinda

game better

but still really, really awful in a lot of fuckin ways