Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I didn't read the Doom novels because I'm not a monster but I will admit to reading the Stephani Perry Resident Evil books and actually quite enjoying the ones that were based on the game

The original ones were vile though

I bought the first two Doom novels when I was a teenager. They weren't anything special but I guess they were okay? Some editing issues though. Like a minor character is described as blonde in one scene and then they're a redhead later, stuff like that.

Years later I downloaded the last two out of curiosity and that poo poo goes completely off the rails in ways that I can't even really describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

RDR2 was fun when exploring and messing around, but drat there were some bad design decisions. I appreciate being able to choose from 50 different hats, but can I please make a decision about which guns Arthur carries? I don't always want to have to scroll past trash pistols.

Also not great when you finish a mission and there are lots of bodies lying around, and searching one of them instantly leads to a max wanted level.

For all the effort they put into storytelling I would have appreciated Arthur's ability to interact with the world to go beyond "polite, rude, shoot in face." There were glimpses of great mission ideas, like taking the hot air balloon and seeing the landscape from above, but of course that mission ended with needing to shoot a bunch of endless bandits and the balloon operator was dead and you can never use it again.

I'm worried I might be repeating myself, because I've definitely expressed this to friends, but in RDR2, I never felt like I was Arthur. I either felt like I was in a theme park ride or was moving an actor onto his marks so movie scenes could trigger. The limits of Rockstar's approach to game design really showed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

I'm worried I might be repeating myself, because I've definitely expressed this to friends, but in RDR2, I never felt like I was Arthur. I either felt like I was in a theme park ride or was moving an actor onto his marks so movie scenes could trigger. The limits of Rockstar's approach to game design really showed.

Meanwhile the story stuff in online is easily the least impressive part, with a bunch of Rockstar-style "colorful" characters gesticulating at you while your character is entirely unvoiced like you're playing GTA 3 in 2001.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
RDR2 is basically just Super Skyrim imo. An even prettier and more detailed world, with even more atmosphere and environment design to draw you in, and even more braindead on-rails content.

To anyone who cares about interesting or intelligent gameplay it's a lovely, boring slog. And yet it makes perfect sense to me that it's a blockbuster game that sold millions of copies.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

RDR2 is basically just Super Skyrim imo. An even prettier and more detailed world, with even more atmosphere and environment design to draw you in, and even more braindead on-rails content.

To anyone who cares about interesting or intelligent gameplay it's a lovely, boring slog. And yet it makes perfect sense to me that it's a blockbuster game that sold millions of copies.

typical bethesda to have an even shittier magic system in their new elder scrolls

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Disco Pope posted:

Oh for sure the degree of railroading and padded missions was ridiculous. The worst was during the debt collecting mission when you must threaten the sick man with the wife and child, over like $10 when my character was carrying like $900. It didn't fit with playing Arthur as a good dude who helped stranded travelers and did camp chores, he absolutely must terrorize this man. Of course it is so he gets tuberculosis so he can walk even slower, as that is the fun escapism I seek in games. There were better ways to handle that.

Additional gripes:
-When fighting bandit hordes Arthur had no qualms about killing but it's a morality hit to accidentally kill their horses?

-For a game insistent on "realism" with tedious travel times and animal skinning, the magic health potions were ridiculous.

-During a story mission a meeting with a bad guy goes poorly and you must escape. As you mount up the bad guy is still there, but going into bullet time and shooting him meant game over. He absolutely must live to be in a cutscene later. Dammit, in MGS3 you could sequence break by sniping The End early and the game rolled with it.

-I got an excellent horse early from a side mission and got into buying good custom equipment. On a bounty mission Arthur snuck up on the target and had total surprise. Please let me lasso him and deliver him to the sheriff. No, you must speak to the man, chase him down the river and only then can he be captured, and whatever horse you brought is gone forever. From then on I just bought whatever the faster option was and called it good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i honestly cannot fathom why people keep buying rockstar games after gta 4

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The stuff about how RDR2 would fail you for killing someone in the wrong way/time or not finishing a mission correctly is really disappointing because Rockstar used to be pretty great at stuff like that.

Like I remember back in GTA San Andreas, the mission to kill Ryder was supposed to end with him swimming off the dock into a boat and you would jack another boat and chase him before he escaped. And I only knew about that like a year after I beat that game, because I just pulled out my Sniper Rifle and got him while he was swimming and the game said “Good job”

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

food court bailiff posted:

Isn't GTA5 one of the most successful games of all time? And the online portion of it is huge?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't GTA5 one of the most successful games of all time? And the online portion of it is huge?

Well yeah but it's still bad.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The stuff about how RDR2 would fail you for killing someone in the wrong way/time or not finishing a mission correctly is really disappointing because Rockstar used to be pretty great at stuff like that.

Like I remember back in GTA San Andreas, the mission to kill Ryder was supposed to end with him swimming off the dock into a boat and you would jack another boat and chase him before he escaped. And I only knew about that like a year after I beat that game, because I just pulled out my Sniper Rifle and got him while he was swimming and the game said “Good job”

Oh for sure, and not just Rockstar. Fallout NV had the Arizona Killer mission where you go after the NCR leader as he gives a speech. Options ranged from sniping, orbital strike, punching, and all were perfectly valid.

The first Mafia game was excellent about this too. Chasing a guy who is trying to get to the airport results in a runway chase as you shoot out his engines with a tommy gun and his plane crashes in flames. But if you drove fast enough to block his car from entering the airport he tries to take a bridge and ends up plummeting into a river.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

yes, and tens of millions of people have watched all twenty four godforsaken seasons of the bachelor. popularity does not mean much in the scheme of things, and people can very well play what they want to play, but gta4 was a totally joyless experience for me and from what little i've played of R*'s output past that it seems they've found ways to siphon even more fun out of their experiences

i can't speak to gta online, because the concept sounds very neat but i've never bothered trying it because of all the microtransaction shark card bullshit

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked GTA5 when I first played through it on PS3, even if it had a bunch of dumb poo poo that pissed me off. Like how the person who plotted out the story mode can apparently only get a boner by making sure your characters never get paid.

I bought it on PC for cheap since, hey, I liked that and it might be more fun with the updated graphics!

I made it through like ten minutes of the campaign before I remembered what a painful, 50 hour slog it was.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I wish they would drop the morality nonsense from RD2 and let you do as you please. It was a mistake to make the game a prequel, too many central characters were guaranteed to survive/become evil and it limited the story options.

Was surprised that after Arthur dies that you become John Marston instead of Sadie. That would have been a more interesting choice. Also bummer that they haven't had an equivalent of the zombie DLC from the original, that was a ton of fun and worked great.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sadie actually has lines for greet/antagonize in the game files, but R* probably realized they would have to rerecord misogynist responses for every NPC.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh for sure, and not just Rockstar. Fallout NV had the Arizona Killer mission where you go after the NCR leader as he gives a speech. Options ranged from sniping, orbital strike, punching, and all were perfectly valid.

The first Mafia game was excellent about this too. Chasing a guy who is trying to get to the airport results in a runway chase as you shoot out his engines with a tommy gun and his plane crashes in flames. But if you drove fast enough to block his car from entering the airport he tries to take a bridge and ends up plummeting into a river.

An even better example for NV is the opposite, where you try to protect President Kimball from getting assassinated. The whole mission is to make sure he gets back onto the Vertibird alive, which means the moment he sets foot off it, you can just fire a shot into the air and set off all the security protocols, so everything gets cancelled and he immediately gets back on and it takes off.

You get a “what the hell did you do that for” from the main NCR guy but other then that it’s mission complete.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That probably means you're very stupid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

An even better example for NV is the opposite, where you try to protect President Kimball from getting assassinated. The whole mission is to make sure he gets back onto the Vertibird alive, which means the moment he sets foot off it, you can just fire a shot into the air and set off all the security protocols, so everything gets cancelled and he immediately gets back on and it takes off.

You get a “what the hell did you do that for” from the main NCR guy but other then that it’s mission complete.

I’ve been playing NV the past few weeks and it’s honestly shocking how reactive it is and how interconnected everything in the game world is. Games ten years old and still basically unmatched in that regard.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also bummer that they haven't had an equivalent of the zombie DLC from the original, that was a ton of fun and worked great.

A Valley of Gwangi-esque expansion would be cool but nah Rockstar would rather milk the online mode (did GTAV even get singleplayer DLC?).

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve been playing NV the past few weeks and it’s honestly shocking how reactive it is and how interconnected everything in the game world is. Games ten years old and still basically unmatched in that regard.

Oh for sure the freedom was amazing. My first playthrough I had Boone and kept hearing about how awful Caesar was. So hey, here's a boat to his camp, let's go get him! Boone was thrilled and after success he had a character appropriate reaction, and the game easily adapted to account for a major leader being dead.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i've been meaning to give it another shot and actually try to finish the game rather than play caravan for days straight

unpopular video game opinion: triple triad > ff8 :: caravan > fo:nv

probably gonna play it on my big tv with a steam controller because gently caress it, it's ancient and should stream offa one of my gaming computers okay, and i have a very comfortable couch

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh for sure the freedom was amazing. My first playthrough I had Boone and kept hearing about how awful Caesar was. So hey, here's a boat to his camp, let's go get him! Boone was thrilled and after success he had a character appropriate reaction, and the game easily adapted to account for a major leader being dead.

The fact you can go grease Caesar early in the game and the game carries on around that without a hitch but still acknowledging it is one of the best things.

Man, between NV and Alpha Protocol 2010 was a great year for reactive RPGs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imagine designing video games as interactive and reactive experiences instead of on-rails corridors that are differentiated from moviesmostly by the child level mechanics required to progress them.

lmao!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Imagine designing video games as interactive and reactive experiences instead of on-rails corridors that are differentiated from moviesmostly by the child level mechanics required to progress them.

lmao!

it's cool that games experiment and can be reactive to the player and there should definitely be more of that but the condescending tone of this post is pretty cringey

this may shock you but there's nothing wrong with movies, in fact many people enjoy them quite a bit, so your comparison is just not nearly as damning as you seem to think.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The fact you can go grease Caesar early in the game and the game carries on around that without a hitch but still acknowledging it is one of the best things.

Man, between NV and Alpha Protocol 2010 was a great year for reactive RPGs.

The first time a computer game ever made me go "wow they thought of everything" was one of the hit adventure games called Halo (Halo 3 probably?) where I killed a dude and grabbed his smashy weapon and went to town on a room full of aliens and one of them shouted "WHAT IDIOT GAVE HIM THE HAMMER?"

Opinion: Halos are pretty great games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The first time a computer game ever made me go "wow they thought of everything" was one of the hit adventure games called Halo (Halo 3 probably?) where I killed a dude and grabbed his smashy weapon and went to town on a room full of aliens and one of them shouted "WHAT IDIOT GAVE HIM THE HAMMER?"

Opinion: Halos are pretty great games.

For me it was going into the women’s bathroom in Deus Ex and having my boss yell at me for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For me it was going into the women’s bathroom in Deus Ex and having my boss yell at me for it.

Yeah don't play your pervy games at work SMHD.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That probably means you're very stupid.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and spell it out for you OP: millions of 12-year-olds buy it because you can steal cars, say cusses, and hire/kill hookers and they haven't yet developed enough discernment to tell that the games are actually poo poo. It isn't rocket science. That and the scintillating social commentary.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

it's cool that games experiment and can be reactive to the player and there should definitely be more of that but the condescending tone of this post is pretty cringey

this may shock you but there's nothing wrong with movies, in fact many people enjoy them quite a bit, so your comparison is just not nearly as damning as you seem to think.

Well, it stands in stark contrast even to Skyrim a year later (and Bethesda generally), which has more or less the exact same feudin' factions plot, which manages to not only be not appealing as part of the game at all, but be entirely on rails with exactly two obvious quest chains and almost every NPC having an unkillable tag. Meanwhile pursuing the story in NV is pretty much the main draw. Bethesda in the entire history of 3D Fallout has never managed this, although from what I've seen, the Elder Scrolls MMO does OK. It's certainly even then nothing compared to NV, which can handle you making just about any choice as to who lives or dies and who you fall in with.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You can just kill Anna Navarre on Levedev's jet even though it doesn't make sense for JC's story progression at that point, even before she even tries to make you kill him in cold blood. It doesn't really even make sense but Alex will be like "what the gently caress JC!" but then cover for you murdering a fellow agent in cold blood just to get you over the hump to where Unatco betrays you so all so it's fine.

e: In DX:MD when your augs are loving up at the beginning you can just ignore the compas pip and head straight into Prague where you can take the sewers into the underworld boss's lair and steal the McGuffin to fix your augs. This way when you meet him in the first act he can just fix your augs and you can have the advanced ones unlocked and everything for the whole game (otherwise he's gone when you return with it and you have to wait most of the game to do it). He'll comment on how weird it is that you already had the incredibly specialized item he needed.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 13, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

poverty goat posted:

You can just kill Anna Navarre on Levedev's jet even though it doesn't make sense for JC's story progression at that point, even before she even tries to make you kill him in cold blood. It doesn't really even make sense but Alex will be like "what the gently caress JC!" but then cover for you murdering a fellow agent in cold blood just to get you over the hump to where Unatco betrays you so all so it's fine.

it's the only way to hear the entirety of lebedev's speech, which owns. IIRC you just fuckin' gib navarro, turn back to lebedev and say "now we won't be interrupted" or something as alex screams and freaks out in your earpiece

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

You can just kill Anna Navarre on Levedev's jet even though it doesn't make sense for JC's progression at that point as you can do it before she even tries to make you kill him in cold blood. It doesn't really even make sense but Alex will be like "what the gently caress JC!" and then cover for you murdering a fellow agent in cold blood just to get you over the hump to where Unatco betrays you so all so it's fine.

I’ve only ever done it after she told me to kill him, were it makes some narrative sense. I thought she was unkillable before that! I’ve always liked how the game doesn’t tell you that killing her is an option, but works around it if you do. In 2000 you’d never expect to actually be able to shoot an ally and have it be part of the plot.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I’ve only ever done it after she told me to kill him, were it makes some narrative sense. I thought she was unkillable before that! I’ve always liked how the game doesn’t tell you that killing her is an option, but works around it if you do. In 2000 you’d never expect to actually be able to shoot an ally and have it be part of the plot.

I always just stick a LAM on the wall outside Lebedev's room on the way in :effort:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

tbh though the scene in unatco hq with her is really tense and fun whether or not you find her killphrase so i usually let her live

RIP lebedev

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

something as alex screams and freaks out in your earpiece

I really want a remake with some quality voice acting just for that bit. Gimme someone who sounds like they’re authentically losing their poo poo as they try to cover up your friendly fire shenanigans.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Did you really interpret my post as "movies are inherently bad, so games shouldn't be like them for that reason" ???

Because lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

no, but lol that you’re as bad at reading as you are at posting

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

poverty goat posted:

e: In DX:MD when your augs are loving up at the beginning you can just ignore the compas pip and head straight into Prague where you can take the sewers into the underworld boss's lair and steal the McGuffin to fix your augs. This way when you meet him in the first act he can just fix your augs and you can have the advanced ones unlocked and everything for the whole game (otherwise he's gone when you return with it and you have to wait most of the game to do it). He'll comment on how weird it is that you already had the incredibly specialized item he needed.

It's a great game and I like hints of how ambitious it wanted to be with player choice. Like choosing to shoot the first UNATCO soldier who shows up at the end of the first mission for no reason. During the debriefing they'll ask if you know what happened to that guy, and JC asking "friendly fire?" is wonderful.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

no, but lol that you’re as bad at reading as you are at posting

You're being very rude rn.

You're coming at me like you got some beef but I dunno who you are. I make you upset in another thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

You're being very rude rn.

You're coming at me like you got some beef but I dunno who you are. I make you upset in another thread?

buddy i don’t know you from adam, you just wrote a weird bad post and totally misread my response

this reply of yours is another weird bad post, and now you’re making me post another weird bad post in response.