Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rasczak posted:

:hai:

For actual content, I run a retail shop and long ago mandated that everyone who works here remain home under fully paid leave (everyone besides me has underlying health issues), so I'm the only one who physically goes in to work. It's been like this since idk, mid-March, made the decision days before the state had initially shut down. Seems like it's been forever, hellworld fuckin sucks.

Currently we're only offering online & phone orders and contact-less curbside pickup (and curbside only started back up in the last week or so). The only person I have any interaction with is the USPS guy, and we're both masked up.

Starting to get calls from an increasing number of Karens tho who "just want to come in and shoooop!" :byodame:

Tell them you charge $5 a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/BogochIsaac/status/1260684184840032256

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

a helpful bear posted:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bs-md-pol-stay-at-home-20200513-lzdziypfbrcybmanwqard4tp5u-story.html

He says if people aren't responsible he will lock down again. Seriously do you think there won't be bad actors?

seriously what is even the point of government

(I know this is a republican philosophy)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I would accept the job and then show up in full PPE and tell them any demand to take it off is an OSHA violation and you're happy to be laid off if they want to avoid you raising hell

is OSHA even operating right now?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Take Twoday's star for this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fasdar posted:

So my wife is a professor at an unnamed university that is also the home to a major medical campus as well as being built around work for the EPA, NIOSH, and other similar organizations focused on environmental and workplace safety. Their plan so far for reopening is total chaos, and the prospect of spaced out seating and mask requirements are being floated. What I want to know, on the other hand, is why in the gently caress aren't institutions like universities - which often have easily controlled buildings and access regimes - figuring out a mechanism to become testing centers? I mean, I want the old profs to get out of the way as much as anyone, but the notion of packing a bunch of 60 yr olds into a musty room with 20 college kids seems like, oh, I dunno, a loving terrible idea. However, if you were regularly testing people, you could actually turn it into a test and trace program for a significant portion of the population, especially in college towns.

So I guess what I'm asking is, where do we buy some goddamn tests?

colleges are going to all reopen, intentionally have everyone aged 18-40 get the roni and say tough it out. profs can teach via zoom and TAs handle all the small group/hands on stuff. it'll be gone from colleges before they go home for thanksgiving

Atrocious Joe posted:

is OSHA even operating right now?

does their boss want to risk it?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

a helpful bear posted:

He says if people aren't responsible he will lock down again. Seriously do you think there won't be bad actors?

why worry about COVID when you have money ?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't have the heart to tell her :(

https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1260669695461597184

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rasczak posted:

:hai:

For actual content, I run a retail shop and long ago mandated that everyone who works here remain home under fully paid leave (everyone besides me has underlying health issues), so I'm the only one who physically goes in to work. It's been like this since idk, mid-March, made the decision days before the state had initially shut down. Seems like it's been forever, hellworld fuckin sucks.

Currently we're only offering online & phone orders and contact-less curbside pickup (and curbside only started back up in the last week or so). The only person I have any interaction with is the USPS guy, and we're both masked up.

Starting to get calls from an increasing number of Karens tho who "just want to come in and shoooop!" :byodame:

its astroturfed i bet, like you can sign up to opener up phonebank

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

can they roll his rear end through a covid ward in a hospital instead

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Dustcat posted:

what if i told you the pandemic isn't contagious

https://twitter.com/ColleenHuberNMD/status/1253280567128289281

let's have a show of hands

I'm an engineer and not someone involved in viruses, but wouldnt you need a TEM to even begin to analyze this rather than a SEM?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

seriously what is even the point of government

(I know this is a republican philosophy)

a real government would've brutally suppressed reopen, the interests of the state do not necessarily align with "the dumbest chuds imaginable" even under capitalism.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I went out and I shot myself up with all these BCG vaccines and now I have double autism having spent my 401k on train simulation 2018+dlc and you mean to tell me I'm not even immune to the corvids? perm ban twoday NOW

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/wccoradio/status/1260679956927053828
lmao this would not be a great idea

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

a helpful bear posted:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bs-md-pol-stay-at-home-20200513-lzdziypfbrcybmanwqard4tp5u-story.html

I hate this so loving much

the "spike" won't even show for weeks, and they'll probably already be in phase 2 by then, and it'll be too much effort to lock it all down

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

and now I assume most of us in retail can no longer get unemployment

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lolie posted:

The big drop in all categories between the last two weeks is curious, even taking into account that it reflects people's exposure to risk last month.

:hmmyes: very curious indeed

Raiad posted:

are you sure they died OF pneumonia, and not WITH pneumonia

eventually this is going to evolve to dr manhattan's "a dead body contains the same number of particles as a live one, I have a hard time telling the difference"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ban this fucker, twoday.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: I forgot January happened

lmao what the fucks a “january”?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Dustcat posted:

what if i told you the pandemic isn't contagious

https://twitter.com/ColleenHuberNMD/status/1253280567128289281

let's have a show of hands

From the replies:

https://twitter.com/Senglean1/status/1253286753064099841

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

locking everything back down would annihilate the economy further, so they probably will do it if things get bad, cos why not

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Maryland about to OPEN IT UP except maybe PG and Montgomery counties. I can only imagine how it must feel to be in one of the states that has been doing gently caress all or opened weeks ago because it's a sort of surreal feeling having yr governor scream death lmao

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nonsense posted:

locking everything back down would annihilate the economy further, so they probably will do it if things get bad, cos why not

it's an accelerated tightening of the screws, why bother with full cycles of capitalism when they can manufacture them in the span of months!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

how many different parasites do you think these people have between the two of them

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

there won't be another lockdown they are just going to normalize mass death

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

Nothing will stop the demand shock and people saving money because they may lose their job. Consumer spending falling enough would kill our economy before covid ever came around.

Maybe this will kill American exceptionalism in this country, we can hope for a silver lining.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Pump Jockey posted:

I just got a jury summons, guess I’ll die

I had jury duty for the entire month of March and had to call in every night to see if my group was called and they didn't have a single hearing. I still got my fake diploma-looking award for being a juror. :patriot:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
This is all literally what happened with influenza lmao the human race learns absolutely nothing from its past

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mayor Dave posted:

This is all literally what happened with influenza lmao the human race learns absolutely nothing from its past

they were clearly a bunch of dumb losers why would I want to learn anything from them

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
We have people 100 years apart arguing against germ theory in relation to a pandemic, there were riots around the country at attempts to shut things down for the second wave, all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

KaptainKrunk posted:

KaptainKrunk posted:

KaptainKrunk posted:

KaptainKrunk posted:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

We have people 100 years apart arguing against germ theory in relation to a pandemic, there were riots around the country at attempts to shut things down for the second wave, all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

zeroCool, deathToll

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mayor Dave posted:

why does it only happen in the US

like there are trends at work here that marxist thought must not explain or else china which is more capitalist, more corrupt, more coverup-prone, and more racist which are like the stock answers, would be way worse instead of like, getting blindsided by it and rallying very quickly

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

KaptainKrunk posted:

lol if you think it's going to be anything but this

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

- they were comparing a group who was on average 35 to a group who were on average 40
- were looking at rates of infection, not rates of death. "There was 1 case of severe disease (mechanical ventilation or intensive care unit admission) in each group, and no deaths were reported"

gonna give this one the ol'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Illinois had the #1 spots in deaths in the country today, I think that's the first time that happened.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Illinois had the #1 spots in deaths in the country today, I think that's the first time that happened.

reported deaths is meaningless, imo even after the fact excess death measurements will be suppressed and we will have to look at like demographic differences between the 2010 and 2030 censuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

reported deaths is meaningless, imo even after the fact excess death measurements will be suppressed and we will have to look at like demographic differences between the 2010 and 2030 censuses

You aren't going to be able to extrapolate anything from comparing censuses 20 years apart , c'mon man.

Excess deaths will work but will take a while to know. Illinois is just being weirdly competent because I guess having a billionaire gov means he actually can just say gently caress you business owners I'm not doing what you want since I don't need campaign contributions