Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Alhazred posted:

It's not like the US government proclaimed that "yes, aliens do exists!"

Yeah, I mean I'll happily proclaim that there are 100% things in the world that are unidentified. I have unidentified fluffy objects in the corners of my pockets right now. I don't think they're extraterrestrial, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

Yeah, I mean I'll happily proclaim that there are 100% things in the world that are unidentified. I have unidentified fluffy objects in the corners of my pockets right now. I don't think they're extraterrestrial, though.

/extremely Dumb and Dumber voice
"So you're saying there's a chance that your pocket is full of aliens??"

Galaxy-brained conspiracy theorists don't need evidence to believe in something, they just need the absence of evidence which would conclusively rule it out.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

/extremely Dumb and Dumber voice
"So you're saying there's a chance that your pocket is full of aliens??"

*camera zooms into pocket fluff to such a degree that atoms look like galaxies and suddenly we see spaceships*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

*camera zooms into pocket fluff to such a degree that atoms look like galaxies and suddenly we see spaceships*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOBxlFjgc0

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Dan Aykroyd is his Ghostbusters character in real life. No one would or should trust him with anything important. It's not entirely unreasonable to look at Ray and Peter and disbelieve everything they say, even if all evidence points to the contrary.

I have a bottle of Crystal Skull vodka signed by him and it is the worst tasting vodka I have ever drank. I've had vodka that was cloudy that tasted better than his 'strained through mystic crystals' swill. I'm still not even sure HOW it tastes bad. It's vodka. It has no taste. But it did not taste good.

Someone brought a bottle of that to a house party when I was in college and it was unspeakably foul. There was some left at the end of the night, that’s how bad it was. It tasted like someone spilled it on a dirty lineloeum floor, wiped it up with an old rag, and wrang the rag out into the bottle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But the bottle works great for sand art

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I really wanted one of the big Crystal Head vodka bottles for planting a terrarium but there was no way I was going to buy it off the shelf. I'm sure one will turn up at a garage sale or a thrift shop some day when we get past THE PLAGUE and I start going outside again

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Apparently, it must be drank (drunk?) with food.

That's at least what Aykroyd said when he was signing bottles in the liquor store in my hometown when he came to visit (this was 2007). I got him to sign a bottle, and my GB DVD.

The next day, he also visited the technical school I was just about to graduate from, and actually remembered me from the day before.

The man is Ray Stantz, though. We were teleconferencing with another campus all the way on the other side of the country, and we were all doing a Q&A sort of thing. Someone brought up aliens, and he ranted for about 20 minutes, which used up most of the time we had.

I didn't get to ask him about GB3 :argh:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Apparently, it must be drank (drunk?) with food.

That's at least what Aykroyd said when he was signing bottles in the liquor store in my hometown when he came to visit (this was 2007). I got him to sign a bottle, and my GB DVD.

The next day, he also visited the technical school I was just about to graduate from, and actually remembered me from the day before.

The man is Ray Stantz, though. We were teleconferencing with another campus all the way on the other side of the country, and we were all doing a Q&A sort of thing. Someone brought up aliens, and he ranted for about 20 minutes, which used up most of the time we had.

I didn't get to ask him about GB3 :argh:

Drank - recent time can remember exactly
Drunk - general past tense , no specific temporal space

Same for swam vs swum

There are exceptions to this but that's the general rule

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah I really wanted one of the big Crystal Head vodka bottles for planting a terrarium but there was no way I was going to buy it off the shelf. I'm sure one will turn up at a garage sale or a thrift shop some day when we get past THE PLAGUE and I start going outside again

Check your local TJ Maxx / Winners (when safe to do so). You can find them filled with vinegary, mediocre hot sauce for ten bucks

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Check your local TJ Maxx / Winners (when safe to do so). You can find them filled with vinegary, mediocre hot sauce for ten bucks

Wait for Halloween, and then go to a craft store. I have one for like $10 from a Micheal's or something like that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jestery posted:

Drank - recent time can remember exactly
Drunk - general past tense , no specific temporal space

Same for swam vs swum

There are exceptions to this but that's the general rule

Not really.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RandomFerret posted:

Did you mean TK Maxx? :raise: Never heard of TJ Maxx, that must be a weird regional thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Did you mean TK Maxx? :raise: Never heard of TJ Maxx, that must be a weird regional thing.

They likely meant TJ Maxx.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TJ_Maxx

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s TJ Maxx in America and TK Maxx in any other country they operate

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s TJ Maxx in America and TK Maxx in any other country they operate

I wonder why? I find it hard to imagine that some guy called TJ Maxx who complained.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's TK Maxx until they think up a better name

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It has three different names in Canada and none of them have the letters T or X in them

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

I wonder why? I find it hard to imagine that some guy called TJ Maxx who complained.

There's a chain called TJ Hughes they didn't want to get confused with.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

RandomFerret posted:

It has three different names in Canada and none of them have the letters T or X in them

Marshall's? Home Goods? Sierra Trading Post? (all owned by the same company as TJ/TK Maxx, and all operate in the U.S., even like...next door to one another sometimes)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In one mall in Montreal the Winners and Homesense are on top of each other on the 2 floors, with an escalator between them inside the stores. It was originally a 2 floor department store, I don't remember which chain. So a pretty good adaptation of that unit I guess.

There's a Marshall's across the street.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CPColin posted:

It's TK Maxx until they think up a better name

I appreciated this joke a lot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

In one mall in Montreal the Winners and Homesense are on top of each other on the 2 floors, with an escalator between them inside the stores. It was originally a 2 floor department store, I don't remember which chain. So a pretty good adaptation of that unit I guess.

There's a Marshall's across the street.

Fairview! I used to live right across the 40!

Edit: wait, Homesense/Winners there, just has an elevator between them, but both The Bay and Sears (rip) had 3-floor escalators.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I got this confused and checked it up

I'm an interpreter by trade so this less autistic than it appears.

"To have" in this context conjures the past perfect tense implying specific knowledge of the temporal nature of the activity of

"I have run the marathon this morning"
Vs
"I ran the marathon some time ago"

"Yes I have eaten the Danish"
Vs
"I ate the Danish sometime ago"

"I caught the bus on Wednesday"
Vs
"I catched the bus to school when I was a student"

As I said it's not an exact science, and I deffo got it wrong up there. But that is the general jist of the "to have" and "run ran" . English is messy and I wanted to avoid getting into deep tense talk cos it sucks

Content tax:

I have been on a Jackie Chan marathon lately

And I've noticed an interesting commonality in his films

Often during a tense scene he will carry some object between scenes, like a broken vase or paper, it's surprisingly effective at maintains tension and gives energy to the next fight scene something to start from

Jestery has a new favorite as of 10:24 on May 15, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the many insane things about English is that the only consistent rules it does have (Mainly related to sentence structure and adjective order) are ones that its speakers are not consciously taught and are not aware of at all.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the many insane things about English is that the only consistent rules it does have (Mainly related to sentence structure and adjective order) are ones that its speakers are not consciously taught and are not aware of at all.

This is definitely the bane of having listen to people talk all day and do the interpreter thing.
You definitely hear these mistakes and it's very

" You are doing it wrong " :c00lbutt:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/adjectives-order

The order of adjectives, and how most people intrinsically know it, is fascinating.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are you a big red dog or a red big dog?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/adjectives-order

The order of adjectives, and how most people intrinsically know it, is fascinating.

My L2 has virtually no adjective hierarchy and the subject can be anywhere in that mess of adjectives. When I get home after work it takes a few minutes to speak properly and I find myself struggling while drunk with the varied structures

Jestery has a new favorite as of 12:55 on May 15, 2020

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

food court bailiff posted:

I appreciated this joke a lot.

:tipshat:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Afriscipio posted:

a red big dog?

It’s amazing how my brain just naturally reacts to this like a movie vampire with a cross jammed in its face.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just pictured that BigDog robot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Afriscipio posted:

Are you a big red dog or a red big dog?

My current Windows password is a keyphrase like that with the adjectives specifically out of order, it's great because I'll never forget it but it was mildly uncomfortable to even type the first several times.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Can I post the opposite of subtle?

Because, god drat, that rat at the end of The Departed was the most hamfisted thing I think I've ever seen.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I kinda liked the X motif.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just pictured that BigDog robot.

Listen Here, Bud. America Deserved Skynet.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BiggerBoat posted:

Can I post the opposite of subtle?

Because, god drat, that rat at the end of The Departed was the most hamfisted thing I think I've ever seen.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You don't understand, Scorsese was overdue for an oscar, therefore the movie was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve heard it pronounced Score-says-he and score-sez-he