Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

UnknownTarget posted:

South Korea, Taiwan, probably China...

Im considering those countries except maybe china to have not had bad outbreaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bar Ran Dun posted:

my head canon is now that OOCC is asymptomatic patient zero and infected the whole world on his global trip to pet cats.

I did pet a cat in Spain in november, LA in December and New York in January

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
remember, America is the richest third-world nation

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/nicksonsec/status/1260746591918608386

somebody do the lambeau leap but it’s it’s into the arms of the coffin dudes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

crossover between the covid and doomsday economy threads

Rebecca Shamtoob had only been working for a month at a firm based in a Manhattan WeWork before things started feeling off—well, more off than usual for the scandal-beset co-working company. It was early March, and COVID-19 cases were skyrocketing in New York City. She noticed the WeWork location was getting dirtier—particularly the bathrooms—and that there were few protective measures in place. WeWork staff were placing hand sanitizer at various places around the office, but people kept stealing the highly sought bottles, Shamtoob says. On March 12, the location threw a pizza and pie party for Pi Day (since March 14 was on a Saturday) and announced it would be the last office event for the foreseeable future. The location, at 401 Park Ave. S., planned to remain open for work, however. People were coughing and sharing food at the party, so Shamtoob decided to start working from home.

The email from WeWork came a week later: Someone at the location had tested positive for COVID-19. The last time that person had been in the office was the day of the Pi Day party.

You can understand why the co-working model would not be particularly appealing during a pandemic. But now that cases have exploded and lockdown orders across the country have prevented many people from even going in to work, many WeWork customers allege that the company has been inflexible in giving them breaks on rent and easing lease terms. WeWork is keeping its locations open, declaring itself an essential business. Yet many members feel that the offices are unusable, particularly given that nonessential workers are expected to stay home and the fact that there have been positive cases at some WeWork locations. The company has said that it is working with its 600,000 members on an individual basis to figure out compromises on rent during this time. But many members have been turning to media outlets to allege that WeWork has either offered unfair terms or completely refused to make concessions. (WeWork itself has stopped paying rent at certain locations.)

Many members have alleged that WeWork has either offered unfair terms or completely refused to make concessions.
When New York went into lockdown in late March, lawyer Stephanie Hendricks knew business for her practice would slow to a trickle. Hendricks contacted the WeWork branch at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, where she’d been working since fall 2019, to see about getting a rent reduction. Instead, she says, the company shot down all her proposals, such as her suggestion that she simply pay WeWork a $600 monthly storage fee for her office supplies. (Her base rent is $1,850 per month.) Because her credit card was already on file, she had no way of stopping the payments. Getting out of the lease also isn’t an option, since she signed on for three years. At this point, she says there’s not much else she can do. “I’m honestly just taking things on a day-to-day basis,” she said. Hendricks said that when she’s gone in to check on her belongings, the workspace has been completely empty save for one staff member at the front desk. (The kitchen is no longer serving complimentary beverages.)

Jacob Feldman, CEO of the education consultancy Nexus Academics, had been on a month-to-month lease at the 300 Park Ave. WeWork location in Manhattan and was planning to move out when the pandemic hit. He told the company during the first week of March that he’d be leaving at the end of the month. WeWork told him, however, that he would’ve had to have notified them on Feb. 29 to do that—so he would have to pay through April 30.

Feldman says that getting in touch with WeWork representatives at the corporate level was impossible because by March, when New York’s coronavirus infections were rapidly climbing, they were overwhelmed with tons of other move-out requests. He asked his location’s office manager whether he could get a break on rent for April since the workspace had been closed for a combined two weeks for deep cleanings after several customers tested positive for the coronavirus. (When they did the cleanings, they would only close the floor where the infected person’s office was located, even though members are typically able to access all three floors.) The manager told him that he wouldn’t have to pay April rent, but only if he agreed to extend his lease through May. He opted to take the hit rather than extending.

Feldman recently visited the office during the workday to gather his belongings and noted that the lights were off and no other tenants were there. He saw two or three staff members who weren’t wearing masks. Some signs were up to remind people to practice social distancing, but that appeared to be the only protective measure that the location had taken.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

third world jsut means non aligned. Switzerland, Norway etc

America is by definition 1st world

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This is the longest I’ve gone without leaving the US and the longest I’ve gone without petting a cat in ten years :(

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

euphronius posted:

third world jsut means non aligned. Switzerland, Norway etc

America is by definition 1st world

but where's my 2nd world now that the USSR/warsaw pact is kaput :(?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Acyn/status/1260379639966384130

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

now we just call the lovely 3rd world "the global south" and I guess that means everyone that's p ok is the "global north"?????? even though there's plenty of shithole countries in the northern hemi???????????

like the USA??????????

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

but 4 real it's like yemen and stuff

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Marzzle posted:

but where's my 2nd world now that the USSR/warsaw pact is kaput :(?

chiner

Vietnam etc

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Making some garlic chili fried chickpeas tomorrow and mixing the extra in with my rice

If you get basmati, soak it for 30min beforehand, that advice on the bag ain't no joke

gibe recipe for the peas. recipea

why didn't I put basmati rice in my target order goddamn it :argh:

it smells like popcorn!!!!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is the longest I’ve gone without leaving the US

Oh poor baby.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

euphronius posted:

chiner

Vietnam etc

I could go for that but china is inexorably linked to every country in the world so it's not v 2nd worldy in the iron curtain sense but hopefully we'll get another cold war crankin' soon and I can start using all these vintage "2nd world can eat a dick" novelty t-shirts in good faith

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Stop pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

RC Cola posted:

Oh poor baby.

many of us will need to sacrifice our international vacations as food aid is dropped on the south east by chyna

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

snoo posted:

Uhh I dont really work off recipes, just put some olive or other tasty oil in a pan and brown up some garlic in it alongside soem red pepper flakes or diced hot peppers. Toss beans in and poke around at them until they start blistering

You end up with tasty oil and tasty beans

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

snoo posted:

basmati owns

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
jk, keep pissing on my leg

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Padams posted:

goddammit my cousin who I’ve always looked up to recently turned 40. it was like a switch was flipped that instantly turned him into a reactionary. He’s been into conspiracy theories about the lockdowns and wants to OPEN ER UP. I feel like I should just stop voting as soon as I turn 40 since apparently white men are incapable of having good opinions beyond a certain age.

i'm like 7 days from 40 will let you know if I instantly switch to chud from sadbrains leftist ecoterrorist

was personally looking forward to a gold medallion, porsche and a combover tbh

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

marmot25 posted:

https://twitter.com/nicksonsec/status/1260746591918608386

somebody do the lambeau leap but it’s it’s into the arms of the coffin dudes
I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable about going into a place like that again. Not just because of my health, or other people's health, but because my job and my co-workers jobs were threatened if any of us get it.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

RandomBlue posted:

TRUMP!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable about going into a place like that again. Not just because of my health, or other people's health, but because my job and my co-workers jobs were threatened if any of us get it.

yeah it really sucks but I guess at least all of my 20s had non-deadly bars though I will miss them in my 30s

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Epic High Five posted:

Uhh I dont really work off recipes, just put some olive or other tasty oil in a pan and brown up some garlic in it alongside soem red pepper flakes or diced hot peppers. Toss beans in and poke around at them until they start blistering

I've started 2 cups of chickpeas soaking in your honor

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

liberals think the system is going to save us lol

yeah this Julius Cæsar fellow seems to be doing bad stuff but our institutions will prevail!!!

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is the longest I’ve gone without leaving the US and the longest I’ve gone without petting a cat in ten years :(

Lol what the

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Sure is awful quiet on the "the flu is deadlier bro" front

:justflu:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

PyPy posted:

real talk: i am fortunate enough to be able to work from home, but i find it increasingly difficult to get out of bed and work a full day as time passes. i don't know how to snap out of this.

As someone with a depressive disorder, during this pandemic I feel like people are constantly describing symptoms of depression without acknowledging that’s what they’re doing. Situational depression is a thing anyone can develop, you don’t need clinical depression to have depression. Maybe everyone should just look up a guide for dealing with depression and go ahead and start practicing some depression routines and coping skills now? A depression routine can help you maintain a level of work functionality while depressed and unless you have a job that’s trying to give you roni you should probably try to keep your job.

Also, just a reminder to everyone that WFH is a skill you can develop but it’s normal not to just have. Not everyone has a work style that can easily switch to WFH. Even if there wasn’t a pandemic it’d be normal to struggle transitioning to WFH. I hear a lot of people talking about themselves like they’re loving up when they are having to adapt to a new style of work in chaotic and traumatic times. You can find guides for WFH that you might find useful and several goons have posted good tips.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's a good description, thing is anyone with half a brain realizes that they're in a situation where their life is a consumer transaction and directs their anger at the system

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Marzzle posted:

Be advised you will eat them all in one sitting whether you intend to or not

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

RandomBlue posted:

hell yeah

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

you ever order Chinese food and get just the most ominous poo poo in the fortune cookies

I got one about 5 years ago that literally read “It would be best to keep a low profile.”
Kept it in my wallet ever since :tinfoil:

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
assuming this is in reference 2 everyone i kno getting sick

quote:

A bicyclist checks out a sign written in grass clippings on a hillside that says, “We Got This,” in West Seattle on Tuesday. (Ellen M. Banner / The Seattle Times)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I might do this but then make them like the crispy oven chickpeas, or use some chili crisp

:yum:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

snoo posted:

shm if you don't have a couple 50lb or 25lb bags of nice rice hanging around.

target? wtf? those little 1lb bags of rice. what a loving casual.

Marzzle posted:

Made some crispy chickpeas the other day, good stuff!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Have conservatives started calling handwashing a liberal hoax yet?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

snoo posted:

I might do this but then make them like the crispy oven chickpeas, or use some chili crisp

:yum:

Doing the oil itself, letting it cool, and using it to marinade cooked beans before crisping them could be good. Something I've been considering myself

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chickpeas aren't as good as lentils nutrition wise but they are by far the most snackable bean and friendliest to mass consumption

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

Chickpeas aren't as good as lentils nutrition wise but they are by far the most snackable bean and friendliest to mass consumption

u kno i love a good roasted chickpea i think u havfe something here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

COVID-19 posted:

Lol what the

Gonna pet every cat on earth.

(LA, Toledo, Madrid, New York, Iceland, South Africa, Vermont, Maine, London, Germany, Mexico, Etc)