Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

TheHoosier posted:

ooookkkay, gonna backburner the alith anar campaign because I'm pretty sure I got myself into an unwinnable situation. let's try tomb kings now. I wanna do Settra's vortex start but gently caress I hate savage orcs. anyone have tips? Playing on VH

Look, as Alith, find Malekith's mom and give it to her, it was my understanding that's how he solved most problems and it's why he's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Neuronyx posted:

Look, as Alith, find Malekith's mom and give it to her, it was my understanding that's how he solved most problems and it's why he's the best.

I cucked myself and malekith at the same time by letting a Hand have his way with her instead. I was dealing with rats. Shameful

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

TheHoosier posted:

ooookkkay, gonna backburner the alith anar campaign because I'm pretty sure I got myself into an unwinnable situation. let's try tomb kings now. I wanna do Settra's vortex start but gently caress I hate savage orcs. anyone have tips? Playing on VH

shitton of skeleton archers and your starting warsphrinx carries you for the first like 40 turns

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lol this fuckin Gnarly Treehugga guy makes friends with me, me being Norsca I go and smash his dumb human enemies, he follows me around taking every settlement while refusing to grant military access and now he's pissed at me for running through "his" lands??

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I have trouble describing it but when you play Norsca in ME does the AI operate as if you are playing in the late-game? It just seems they confederate like crazy super early whenever I do a Norsca game

TheHoosier posted:

I cucked myself and malekith at the same time by letting a Hand have his way with her instead. I was dealing with rats. Shameful

Alith Anar is one of the few times I found elven influence actually useful diplomatically because I was able to get a bunch of elves pissed at Tretch so he would gently caress off fighting them for awhile

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

The Chad Jihad posted:

I have trouble describing it but when you play Norsca in ME does the AI operate as if you are playing in the late-game? It just seems they confederate like crazy super early whenever I do a Norsca game

Alith Anar is one of the few times I found elven influence actually useful diplomatically because I was able to get a bunch of elves pissed at Tretch so he would gently caress off fighting them for awhile

I've been reminded of this.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there any fun fluff about the relationship between elves and Nehekara back when they were alive? I know that Nagash got his start prying the secrets of dark magic from some Dark Elf mercenaries.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I always thought it was cute that Khalida starts with some friendship points for past gifts with the Spine of Sotek Dwarves, who are one of the few races that would catalogue and honor good favor from a thousand years ago.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I just discovered the unit size setting, and cranked it up to ultra because battles look much cooler that way, but I was thinking even though it's in graphics settings it seems like it would affect gameplay quite a bit too.
Things like how easy it is to hide units in small patches of forest, how many wall towers you can spread out to control, how well you can bunch up your units for maneuvers in small areas etc.
Also since single entity units aren't affected by it, does that make the other units squishier to compensate? I'm gonna keep it on ultra, but I wonder if any experienced players keep it lower settings.

Single entities are significantly weaker on higher unit sizes. They get more health but the damage they deal stays the same, so they have a smaller impact on the battle. Takes a lot longer for a Varghulf to chew through 120 swordsmen instead of 60 or whatever.

This is not the case for other units, who do more damage because they have more models to attack with. This is a bit mitigated for melee units because they tend to have models not attacking, the number of which can vary a lot depending on the situation, but ranged gets the full benefit.

The balance of magic can also change a lot depending on unit size. Something like spirit leech does the same damage regardless of the setting, which will only tickle a unit with a ton of hp due to ultra unit size but will annihilate its much smaller health pool at lower settings. On lower sizes you are also more likely to be able to hit the entire enemy line with a wind spell, though you tend to have clumped targets for vortexes more frequently on ultra.

Stat buffs tend to be more impactful on lower sizes as well. It takes longer for 2 melee units to kill each other on ultra, so the percentage of time they spend fighting under the effects of the buff is lower. You could give a buff to some black orcs on small size and be confident that they will mop up their opponent in that time, while on ultra they may only get through half of the enemy models and need to spend the other half without the buff.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 14, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
thanks for the advice on outrider grenade launchers being good now from a couple pages back. I'm playing a huntsman vortex campaign and (predictably) am at war with everyone in the thunderdome. after ambushing a lizardmen army, I got attacked by a vampirate army in one of the maps that has a bottle neck, and attacked with the grenade launchers I got from imperial supplies when they started to bunch up and couldn't shoot back because of LOS. the one outrider unit ended up getting ~600 kills

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah they are loving marvelous. Only issue is ammo supply.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Very much glass cannons too. Finding that you need to screen them with something if they're shooting at units that can shoot back.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I also used them to inflict Army Losses on their own troops when my entire force had been wiped out save for my Blood Dragon lord.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Vargs posted:

Single entities are significantly weaker on higher unit sizes. They get more health but the damage they deal stays the same, so they have a smaller impact on the battle. Takes a lot longer for a Varghulf to chew through 120 swordsmen instead of 60 or whatever.
On the flip side, the heroball tank is much more powerful on larger unit sizes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, Isabella's gal pals are a hilarious wrecking ball when you max out her army's hero limit with vampires.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
You could also do a Lizardmen Pompous / Beastmen Nurgle's Stink gimmick and make unit sizes irrelevant.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 14, 2020

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Doomykins posted:

I always thought it was cute that Khalida starts with some friendship points for past gifts with the Spine of Sotek Dwarves, who are one of the few races that would catalogue and honor good favor from a thousand years ago.

what LL would ca put there to get dwarves onto the vortex map?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ammanas posted:

what LL would ca put there to get dwarves onto the vortex map?

If the White Dwarf got his own faction, he could go anywhere.

There's also a veeeeeeery old WHFB scenario about "Magnificent Sven," a dwarf who forms a team of characters from all over the old world and goes to Lustria to look for treasure. This being 1984, they're all fantasy racial stereotypes and he gets beat up by Slann and cannibal pygmies instead of lizardmen.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Grom's waaagh has a healing effect

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

Very much glass cannons too. Finding that you need to screen them with something if they're shooting at units that can shoot back.

Yeah all empire missile cav is like that but grenadiers make up for it by doing spectacular amounts of damage to blobbed units. They're big fragile low model count targets against anything with ranged capability but as long as you can either pin, kill, or avoid the enemy ranged support they're great.

Or fight vamps who don't have any. They blow up skellies real good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I know Grenade Outriders are much improved but I still think Mortars are a much better pick for their slot, considering that their parabolic arcs and manual targeting let them do the "flanking" Outriders can do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What's the best faction for hammer+anvil playstyle?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lizardmen, because your hammer is dinosaurs and your anvil is also dinosaurs

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

All of them can do this. Every faction has troops that soak damage and troops that deal damage; it's just the methods that change.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah all empire missile cav is like that but grenadiers make up for it by doing spectacular amounts of damage to blobbed units. They're big fragile low model count targets against anything with ranged capability but as long as you can either pin, kill, or avoid the enemy ranged support they're great.

Or fight vamps who don't have any. They blow up skellies real good.

With the vamps you gotta watch out for their flying units, because grenadiers can't target them. Otherwise go nuts.

Hard to say. You can hammer and anvil with loads of factions, all it really needs is a strong line and someone fast enough to hit the flanks and rear. Everyone has something like that to some degree, except maybe the dwarfs since honestly that would require moving.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

The classic choice would be Bretonnia if you're thinking of that playstyle from other games. Although it's more rockstar hammer and swiss cheese anvil.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
At a certain point, Bretonnia becomes two hammers smashing the target into paste because your infantry "anvil" is better off being replaced with even more knights.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

I know Grenade Outriders are much improved but I still think Mortars are a much better pick for their slot, considering that their parabolic arcs and manual targeting let them do the "flanking" Outriders can do.

Mortars are a worthwhile pick, but grenade outriders have better DPS for my money at least, they can decimate entire formations if you get some shots in the back while they're bunched up on your line. Mortars are always useful but grenadiers can do decisive damage very quickly and let you collapse a flank or free up part of your line to fold over onto the enemy.

Plus the arc on mortars makes them very bad at targeting moving units, to say nothing of the dispersion. Grenade outriders can stop a charge in its tracks if you place them behind your front line.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

With the vamps you gotta watch out for their flying units, because grenadiers can't target them. Otherwise go nuts.

Oh yeah sure, but they can generally run away from the nastier ones. Fell bats are annoying but they're annoying for any ranged unit.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 14, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Like others have said, it depends on the playstyle, because everyone can hammer and anvil.

Beastmen have a great hammer and an okay anvil. You get an ambush battle, put all your shielded Gors, Bestigors and Chaos Spawn on one side to hold them in place, and then put all your minotaurs on the other side to flatten them. Add in Cygors for artillery fun.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Autism Sneaks posted:

Specifically Nakai, he's the best at it. You don't really need an anvil, as long as the enemy isn't 100% halberds you can just sort of ignore unit matchups and push your way through.

Honestly, the big split in Warhammer 2 factions is between where factions derive most of their kill-power from. Some factions get it in their ranged units, others get it in their cav or monstrous infantry.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Honestly, the big split in Warhammer 2 factions is between where factions derive most of their kill-power from. Some factions get it in their ranged units, others get it in their cav or monstrous infantry.

Also, whether your pinning units are cheap and disposable or just unkillable. Vampire Coast and Dwarfs both get their killpower from the same sorts of units but they definitely don't feel similar!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Wight heavy VC can do this, Wights on foot paired with mounted wights. I did a whole campaign like this and it was pretty fun. You'll want to do Manfred because he gets a faction wide discount on them.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Speaking of grenade launcher outriders, use those and a character or better yet steam tank to just demolish enemies for days. Use the Bordermen!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

I have consulted the wisest sage, the most learned scholar and the most chaste monk and this is truth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
For my money the difference with Grenade Outriders and mortars is GO's can start in front of a danger unit and rest assured nuke them into oblivion before they can do anything. They might fail to get off shots after, but at least during the start you can go "Okay, that and that, I want nothing to do with them" And they can also be better for kiting the enemy around.

Huntsmen can be very much the same, usually worse than Handgunners probably, buuuut, you see Chaos Giant you don't wanna deal with, you slap those shooty bois right in front of it and it'll be melted before the Huntsment even see another troop.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really enjoy Hammer and Anvil with Karl Franz (not Empire in general (though it does work), just Karl) because he makes Greatswords and Reiksguard even better than they usually are. Which is great for Hammer and Anvil because Greatswords are a great anvil and Reiksguard are a great Hammer.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm really glad you can find the Warherd of Chaos by clicking on them in your objectives (I think they stopped you from doing that in Norsca patch for TWW1? Something good came from the divergent codebase I guess). I probably wouldn't have guessed they were hiding in Norsca, and certainly wouldn't have realized I needed to sail over to northern Naggaroth (in Aghol territory) to finish them off. I think they were just literally hiding there? They weren't at war with Aghol so it's not like they were attacking them. I don't remember them being this obnoxious before, but I was playing with Grimhammer so maybe that affected their AI? In any case it was total bulshit, it took so loving long to finally hunt them down.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm bad at this game and trying to play Alarielle but I can't seem to make much headway.

I took Avelorn and Nagarythe and then declared on Chrace and took over them but Tyrion gobbled everybody else up and he won't confederate. I got the Black Coast under my control but when I had my army over there it was just an absolute flood of dark elves hitting the shrine of khaine and Nagarythe and I felt like I didn't have the income to keep an army in both places.

I was allied with Tyrion but like I said he wouldn't confederate and he also decided to be a fuckwit and declare on Bretonnia so I had to deal with them raiding and with him focusing on them while the dark elves stomped all over the place.

I'm thinking maybe I need to be more aggressive about grabbing parts of Ulthuan and maybe I went over to the dark elf areas too quickly? I dunno. Gimme some advice please.

My Alarielle campaign (which is still one of the only that I’ve fully finished) started with taking Avelorn and the Gate, but then immediately swinging back in and conquering Sapphery. They’re assholes so the other elves don’t mind, you get a seriously profitable 4 settlement province with iron and unique buildings, and a token lord on the Gate is usually enough to hold the Dark Elves from reaching the inner isle while you’re not there. Then I had a stack go conquer Eastern Ulthuan while another took Nagarythe. Once you have the island confederated/cleared of outsiders you can send your deathstacks to the Dark Elves’ turf and start conquering however you see fit

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Why do a lot of my provinces have -X Public Order contributions "from buildings" even if none of my buildings give -PO and I control all the settlements in that region? There aren't any crazy events going on and I've exterminated all varieties of ratmen and vampirate from the map, so there shouldn't be any undercities or coves lingering on, right? Is there a PO penalty for huge realms? This is my first time basically painting the map and I have ~70+ settlements so far. Alith Anar on Vortex, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Bad climate? I think that manifests as "From buildings" in the tooltip