Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

oxsnard posted:

It's the pH changes in the ocean that's the real tipping point for ecosystem collapse. Luckily the models for that appear to have way underestimated the buffering capacity of the ocean, account for too little mixing and assume a unrealistically high partial pressure of CO2 at the surface.

My favorite anecdote is that about ten years ago there was a huge problem around Hawaii where seaweed and algae was growing on the coral and killing it because of increased ocean temperatures, so they built the "super sucker" which was just a big boat vacuum some guys from the state sailed around all day cleaning off the reefs. Luckily the ocean is now too acidic for that algae and it all died so they don't need the boat anymore, but also all the coral died too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the place i (unfortunately) once again work at is planning a big reopening event for the dining room on june 10th

the mayor of the city i live is planning on applying for permission to delay reopening (lmao what a loving concept)

who will win

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

apatheticman posted:

The kitties we are fostering are back from the vet.

They took all the balls. Eye balls and testicals.

They are still purry little sweethearts and better people than all of society.

Could you clarify about the vet removing eyeballs?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Stereotype posted:

My favorite anecdote is that about ten years ago there was a huge problem around Hawaii where seaweed and algae was growing on the coral and killing it because of increased ocean temperatures, so they built the "super sucker" which was just a big boat vacuum some guys from the state sailed around all day cleaning off the reefs. Luckily the ocean is now too acidic for that algae and it all died so they don't need the boat anymore, but also all the coral died too.

I don't think the pH is having much of an impact on coral right now as it's still well buffered and well above the level at which calcium carbonate dissolves. When (if) that ever happens, the whole ocean falls apart in no time

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

They were rescued by a hairless cat backyard breeder, breeder let their eye infections go so wild that they basically already lost an eye and both had very bad main eyes.

Since they were already gone vision wise and the eyes were just causing pressure they removed their eyes.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

oxsnard posted:

I don't think the pH is having much of an impact on coral right now as it's still well buffered and well above the level at which calcium carbonate dissolves. When (if) that ever happens, the whole ocean falls apart in no time

I'm not sure where you've been getting your sources on ocean pH being not that bad, but it causes major problems before you get to utter catastrophes like aragonite undersaturation or lysocline shoaling.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

oxsnard posted:

Yeah the coral died from high temperatures and freshwater runoff, the algae probably did too, I can't remember what my friend said killed it. He had a job on the boat for awhile before it quietly shut down, and now he just does coral surveys which he says is incredibly depressing because they just keep marking off more and more coral as dead.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

it's a new fad where people want blind cats because they are cuter and you can make funny internet videos of them running into stuff

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

oxsnard posted:

It's the pH changes in the ocean that's the real tipping point for ecosystem collapse. Luckily the models for that appear to have way underestimated the buffering capacity of the ocean, account for too little mixing and assume a unrealistically high partial pressure of CO2 at the surface.

drat, that’s good news. I’ve been freaking about that for a while now

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

We are at the part of the slow motion train wreck where all the cars are off the rails but they now are just traveling in the same direction as normal but with their wheels in the dirt and everyone is like "well that seems fine, I'm sure that can just go on forever" but soon they'll start piling up and rolling over and then soon after that the tankers filled with explosive caustic chemicals will start pouring out their contents and catching fire

https://youtu.be/03Nq632eV6I

Apparently youtube has removed the option to share a link starting at a certain point so skip to 3:30

TRAINWRECK

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I'm not sure where you've been getting your sources on ocean pH being not that bad, but it causes major problems before you get to utter catastrophes like aragonite undersaturation or lysocline shoaling.

I think those are all theoretical. I was getting my master's in 2010-12 and one of my professors in environmental chemistry released a paper about how a bunch of the models released in that timeframe didn't properly account for mixing across thermoclines. Several of the climate bigwigs (despite being generally correct, most of the PhD climate "celebrities" are enormous pricks who crush all dissent, even if it's well researched. This attitude only helps climate change deniers but that's a story for another day) got pissed about it.

Anyways, I haven't read up on it much since but it appears that most stuff is still more or less in stasis on that front. Ocean acidification is absolutely a real problem but I don't see (after a quick Google) any published studies showing systemic ecological failures as a result of the changes observed since the system is still in the buffer range.

btw CO2 isnt just a single buffer, there are actually two buffered ranges because of how the carbonate complex changes as a result of pH.

Point me to some sources if I'm wrong. Probably should read up on it again since it's been 8 or so yeats

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

oxsnard posted:

Point me to some sources if I'm wrong. Probably should read up on it again since it's been 8 or so yeats

You are wrong, actually, because 8 or so yeets is a very short amount of time, and I already did them. The professor put down his chalk and the whole room stood up and clapped

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

rump buttman posted:

drat, that’s good news. I’ve been freaking about that for a while now

Oh it's indeed horrifying. The actual buffering capacity of the ocean is basically unknown. People think of the ocean as a big bowl but very little mixing occurs at layer interfaces (thermocline, or where the lake/ocean suddenly gets colder when you go one inch deeper). Lots of the original models assumes very mixing between layers, when in fact it turns out there is actually a tiny bit more mixing than expected! But that makes the effective buffer capacity of the ocean an order of magnitude greater.

So basically the models are super sensitive to tiny adjustments to a mixing variable. Anyways, if you've ever done a buffer titration in chem 101 you'll remember adding a thousand drops into your solution and the color stays the same and suddenly drop 1001 changes the color instantly. That's the ocean. Once you go over the hump, instant ecological death.

Anyways there were lots of articles in 2008-2012 and a lot less since. People are still monitoring it and it is scary but some of the "acceleration" they noticed stopped or reversed. Now, to be clear there is still local acidification that is occuring that may be tangentially related to climate change (algae blooms). I think they've observed it on the Pacific coast (while several Caribbean reef pH levels are going up)

tldr it's bad but hard to model but also the ocean as a whole appears to have more buffering capacity than lots of earlier models assumed

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

snoo posted:

it'll be fine

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
gently caress I need to go to bed, but the other good news about ocean acidification is that CO2 is becomes less likely to dissolve in water as the CO2 ppm in air goes up because the equilibrium between phases approaches being reached. Its basically the opposite of the positive feedback loops related to the warning itself. Eg co2 causes warming which releases more co2 which causes more warming which...

I don't think it's a negative feedback loop but incrementally less CO2 gets dissolved as the ppm goes up

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

oxsnard posted:

There's literally nothing that can be done about India. They may as well go whole hog for herd immunity

are the villages still walking around with clubs and spears threatening to murder any outsider that approaches assuming them to be infected or have they gotten past that phase into the full-blown american open er up

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/WPLGLocal10/status/1260610043587833857?s=20

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
People go CRAZY for piblix chicken tender subs

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

oxsnard posted:

There's literally nothing that can be done about India. They may as well go whole hog for herd immunity

gently caress you. No one would say that about a white country. Eat poo poo you gently caress.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Zeno-25 posted:

https://youtu.be/03Nq632eV6I

Apparently youtube has removed the option to share a link starting at a certain point so skip to 3:30

TRAINWRECK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Nq632eV6I&t=210s

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

stand your ground laws working just fine in the last free state in america

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ricecult posted:

gently caress you. No one would say that about a white country. Eat poo poo you gently caress.

I would say it about the US.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

yeah

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

The US is the only country half full of people who are actively fighting for it. People in India are doing their best, despite their circumstances, because they understand what's at stake.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah it's true, we're not gonna be able to get it done here. I was just observing India doesn't even have the infrastructure to manage it in theory and they have massive population density. What the gently caress do you do about it? Say you give India 5 trillion dollars, what can they do about it in time to make a public health impact. You can test more but you can't change physical living conditions in that time

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

ricecult posted:

The US is the only country half full of people who are actively fighting for it. People in India are doing their best, despite their circumstances, because they understand what's at stake.

They're more patriotic and selfless than we are, agreed. It's not a knock on the people I just literally don't know what you do, like, physically or logistically

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

coronavirus

consider urself

solved

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
People in India are basically all wearing masks because it is incredibly trivially easy to do and might have major positive benefits towards virus suppression. White people in America aren't because they are incredibly stupid and privileged

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Yeah it's true, we're not gonna be able to get it done here. I was just observing India doesn't even have the infrastructure to manage it in theory and they have massive population density. What the gently caress do you do about it? Say you give India 5 trillion dollars, what can they do about it in time to make a public health impact. You can test more but you can't change physical living conditions in that time

Saying to go for herd immunity is barbaric and disgusting. Yes it's true, they're limited in choices, but a lot of people around the world are limited. Saying there's nothing they can do because they're poor and there's a lot of people smacks of disgusting colonial bullshit. At least they're trying.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

If Boris Johnson said that India might as well go for herd humanity, we'd all rightfully call him a racist colonialist dipshit, so gently caress you.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also India is full of chuds and if you didn't know that you can google this guy they call "modi".

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Also India is full of chuds and if you didn't know that you can google this guy they call "modi".

I'm actually very aware of this!

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I think this forum has basically agreed that "herd immunity" is basically a form of class genocide, so saying "well they might as well do it" about a country that is full of a population that is making real effort to avoid that, even if their ruling party sucks, is really hosed, especially given the history of India as a colonized and oppressed country.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

ricecult posted:

Saying to go for herd immunity is barbaric and disgusting. Yes it's true, they're limited in choices, but a lot of people around the world are limited. Saying there's nothing they can do because they're poor and there's a lot of people smacks of disgusting colonial bullshit. At least they're trying.

I pulled up an article on Wikipedia that states half of Mumbai's population or 5.5 million people live in slums that account for only 8% of the land area. That poo poo is gonna go though there like a wildfire. It's sad but it's unavoidable. Also I spent an hour or two tonight talking about how uniquely godawful Americans are

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

oxsnard posted:

I pulled up an article on Wikipedia that states half of Mumbai's population or 5.5 million people live in slums that account for only 8% of the land area. That poo poo is gonna go though there like a wildfire. It's sad but it's unavoidable. Also I spent an hour or two tonight talking about how uniquely godawful Americans are

Good for you, guy who thinks Americans are awful knows a lot about India because he read an article on Wikipedia. Sorry I don't follow your post history!

And yeah, no poo poo it's going to kill a lot of people in India. If you followed my post history, you'd know I was posting about it last month. Talking about how they might as well implement herd immunity is disgusting. You might want to stop doubling down on it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Stereotype posted:

White people in America aren't because they are incredibly stupid and privileged

I want my 100 grams of Publix turkey breast, a fuckin' haircut, and then go to the beach, or I'm gunna fuggin' destroy your entire family.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
late to chana chat but you can pantry this up pretty easily—highly recommend getting some fresh rosemary if you can scrounge some though:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/quick-pasta-and-chickpeas-pasta-e-ceci/

I’ve made this maybe 50 times in the last several years.

also, a bowl of this is really good, especially with a fried egg on top:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/05/a-really-great-pot-of-chickpeas/

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

ricecult posted:

Good for you, guy who thinks Americans are awful knows a lot about India because he read an article on Wikipedia. Sorry I don't follow your post history!

And yeah, no poo poo it's going to kill a lot of people in India. If you followed my post history, you'd know I was posting about it last month. Talking about how they might as well implement herd immunity is disgusting. You might want to stop doubling down on it.

Hmmm. How do I put this?

When Covid tears through the villages in Florida I will post "lmao" but when it goes through Mumbai I will post "that's really loving sad and depressing"

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I haven't heard many reports of unrest or mass death in most developing countries besides the United States and Ecuador so at least it looks like the rest of the world is actually handling this better than we are at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Hmmm. How do I put this?

When Covid tears through the villages in Florida I will post "lmao" but when it goes through Mumbai I will post "that's really loving sad and depressing"

Is that why you said they might as well give up?

You do realize that they are actually trying, not trying to reopen like we are? Don't move the goal posts, you said some really disgusting poo poo, and if you just own up to it you'll be a better person for it.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on all things India but I spent some time over there and I went to slums, and yeah, it's depressing as gently caress and it's going to kill a lot of people. But do you understand how hard those people try to survive and what they're up against, even before this poo poo? To say "welp they should go for herd immunity" is just so hosed. If you can't own up to how hosed that is to say, all I have to say is gently caress you.