Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

pokeyman posted:

Didn't see Wendell's season, but I did not enjoy him on this season.

That finale is quite something when you don't know for a fact who wins out of it.

Oh shoot. It's gone. What was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This was a real fun season. Definitely the best season of the 40s so far. If we were to rank the best season of each generation of survivor where do you guys line em up?

S1-9: Pearl Islands
S10-19: Micronesia
S20-29: Cagayan
S30-39: Second Chance (MvGX was a very close 2nd here)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Zesty posted:

Tyson saying why he voted for Natalie, because they're friends. Stephen replied with this

https://twitter.com/stephenfishbach/status/1260770057434525696

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OFFICER LIGER posted:

This was a real fun season. Definitely the best season of the 40s so far. If we were to rank the best season of each generation of survivor where do you guys line em up?

S30-39: Second Chance

Those are probably what I'd say, yeah. Millennials vs Gen X and David vs Goliath are honorable mentions for the 30s.

Micronesia or Tocantins for the 10s.

Pearl Islands and Cagayan for sure for 00s and 20s.

curiousCat posted:

Tyson saying why he voted for Natalie, because they're friends. Stephen replied with this

https://twitter.com/stephenfishbach/status/1260770057434525696

Absolutely true.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you make the jury you have the right to vote however you want to vote. michele was just in a real unenviable position tonight. she was facing two people that were perceived as driving the action for the merge and onward. She had a great story and a really good path to the end and she still played her heart out to get there, but for this season with this cast it wasnt going to be enough to earn votes, especially a jury of people that have all won the game before. I think one thing that has happened for her this season though, ironically, is it has done a lot to repair her winner image from Kaoh Rong.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Pearl Islands
Micronesia
Heroes vs. Villains
Kaoh Rong

They can't measure up to the two perfect returnee seasons, but Gabon/San Juan Del Sur in the 10s/20s are maybe the seasons that cater most to what I personally want to get out of the Survivor experience. Borneo, China, Cagayan and Philippines are all strong honorable mentions in their respective categories too

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Pearl Islands
Cook Islands
HvV (This feels like cheating so I’ll also say Cagayan)
David vs Goliath

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Ponderosa vids are up, will kill an hour of your time

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWwZ4u5_J1L87_UkH1t2xXJthxEU84G1h

Tony interview
https://ew.com/tv/survivor-tony-vlachos-finale-winners-at-war-interview/

Natalie interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFH4ZBMJB4

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zesty posted:

Nice job using the same language right wing chuds use. Super gross. Not thrilled with a player falling on their sword either but coming just short of using "virtue signalling" RIGHT after players rightfully express how difficult it is for women to get respected for the same things men get respected for is extraordinarily tone deaf.

Yea don't regret it at all. Can't see any other reason why Ben gave permission to Sarah to get voted out to pad her resume other than him sacrificing himself for the individual talking about gender equality the tribal before.

(Also if it's not clear, it's a knock on Ben and not on Sarah)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 14, 2020

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Survivor: Old West is a fine idea but I really want to see the Washington Rainforest.

How the gently caress did Tony get through that game without catching a vote?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A lot of winners don’t get votes on them. Votes aren’t random or blindly for the one person an individual wants out the most. People work together and Tony was almost always in the controlling group.

It’s why “votes cast against you” isn’t considered a meaningful stat anymore. They used to use it as a tiebreaker.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea don't regret it at all. Can't see any other reason why Ben gave permission to Sarah to get voted out to pad her resume other than him sacrificing himself for the individual talking about gender equality the tribal before.

(Also if it's not clear, it's a knock on Ben and not on Sarah)

Oh! You weren’t using chud language against Lacina. You were using chud language against Ben. Well that’s fine, of course. :jerkbag:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 14, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I probably would've stopped watching the show for a season or two, or maybe ever, after 39, with probably any other gimmick.

But hey this one brought me in and we had a good season with a good win. Tony's performance was masterful.

I think Natty is right that what she did was amazing and I'm glad she got votes. I also think that Michelle's definitely proved a point, even without getting votes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I honestly think that Natalie played a better game than Tony, especially towards the end when his main alliance wouldn't listen to him about anything and made decisions that he had to go along with. When he kept talking about his #spynest I kept asking myself why the jury wasn't asking why his game hadn't evolved beyond his gimmick, which didn't even seem to work this season.

The mini interview afterwards was like a GBS parody designed to make people angry lol

Whatever, I'm glad Sarah didn't win.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
best moment of the season is still Adam trying to play the podium idol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

weird finale. a lot of decisions felt forced but at least Tony won. Natalie getting second is pretty funny, like when someone asked her what she would've done different socially "well on day one..."

also another funny moment was when Ben sacrificed himself(???) and made that joke about a party or w/e, everyone was laughing except Boston Rob.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

best moment of the season is still Adam trying to play the podium idol

if that would have been an idol it would have been one of the best tribal councils and guaranteed another season for adam.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Zesty posted:

That finale is quite something when you don't know for a fact who wins out of it.

https://i.redd.it/iqqbgtlgdny41.jpg

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That's not surprising given the scene he and Natalie had in the penultimate episode where she bought him an immunity necklace.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Tyson must have been getting a lot of poo poo because he straight up deleted every single tweet on his account.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think that was the best final three I've seen in a while. I was completely prepared to accept any of them winning. I'm really happy Tony won, though, because he is just such a fun player to watch.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Watching the fanbase do a 180 on Michele has been pretty wild. She may have got 0 votes but Tony just played an insane game for someone that was seen as an almost guaranteed early boot.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Genuinely baffled by the people who think Tony didn't deserve to win, particularly those advocating for Michele.

The dude played a flawless game, even more impressively because he came in with the legacy of someone that should not have been allowed to control the game as he did.

Zero votes against him. Four individual immunity wins. Idol finds.

It arguably could have been 16-0 if not for Natalie receiving votes from her EoE BFFs (Parv, Ethan, Tyson) and real life BFF (Jeremy).

Rob's win in Redemption Island previously held the title of most dominant win but was skewed by the abysmal caliber of the competition. Tony surpassed it against all winners!

G O A T.

Shneak posted:

Guessing 12 - 4 - 0 for Tony.

Good call, dude.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
As someone who watched Season 1, then didn't start watching again until 37, this was the best of the recent seasons.

- If I recall, Nick was somewhat of a late season surprise. The whole season was Christian's, and once he was eliminated, it was anyone's game. His big thing was his social game, and I think he tried the same here, but man, he was terrible.
- I think Michele's game is harder to judge fairly. It is remarkable that she was consistently on the outs, but managed to fight her way to the end. She was also correct in a lot of her assumptions. Things may have played out differently if Nick realized he should have eliminated Ben.
- I did not respect Tony's game at the beginning. Thought he was way too much of a wild card, and that he would eliminate himself early. But there was always a method to his madness, and he had great instincts. Sure, he always played from the power position, but he managed those relationships well.
- Wendell was the absolute worst.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

I honestly think that Natalie played a better game than Tony

lol, which game was that?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

S30-39: Second Chance (MvGX was a very close 2nd here)

S1-9: I watched very little of it to remember, but I'd say probably Pearl Islands. Having recently rewatched it it's not as strong as I remember (2003 Rupert does not translate well into 2020), but Burton actually helps that season.
S10-19: Yup, Micronesia. Honestly there are so many strong contenders here (Tocantins, China, Gabon) but Micronesia's second half was such a joy.
S20-29: I think HvV. Which is weird because on paper, losing Courtney, J.T. and Cirie so early stinks and having to put up with Russell for the whole season is, urgh. But there was so much good here. And despite Cagayan's great start, I'm not a huge fan of Cagayan Tony.
S30-39: Hmm. I'd probably say DvG. The 30s were weird in that the seasons were either boring, or had some horribly ugly parts (Worlds Apart, Koah Rong, IoI). I like EoE more than most people, but probably not enough.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

1-9: All-Stars. Its one of the darker and least "fun" seasons but I think it probably speaks more to what this game is about than any other single season.
10-19: Tocantins. There are a lot of great seasons here in this run but a lot of my favorite characters are introduced in Tocantins.
20-29: Heroes vs. Villains. Probably the most fun season of the show for me. Arguably Sandra at the height of her powers.
30-39: David vs. Goliath. I might switch this to something else with time but this was just a solid season with a ton of fun characters and an effective theme.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
S20-29: Heroes vs Villains
S30-39: David vs Goliath

easy.

Sand Monster posted:

Good call, dude.

Thought Amber was going to be a vote for Natalie instead of Ethan but I should've known Rob would have a say in that.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
That was a very satisfying finale. One of the most masterful wins to date by Tony. Dude had a near perfect read on the game from the merge onwards. He made all the right moves, forged the ideal alliance (which he stayed true to, impressively), kicked rear end in immunity and firemaking challenges, and overall did a great job of adapting his personality to the game. Did anybody else predict that he would harness his Tony-isms so skillfully? I definitely didn't. I mean, he turned part of final TC into a stand-up comedy special. Incredible. Also, surprised that the Sophie blindside never got brought up (on TV, at least). That seemed like the most important move of the game to me.

Nat and Michelle are both terrific people and competitors (good lord, what a refreshing final 3 in contrast to the last EoE), and though I won't shed any tears for an EoE returnee not winning, I think they each did admirable jobs of playing the respective hands they were dealt. I don't really blame Nat for not giving up immunity to take on Tony. She put the two biggest threats up against each other. It was a perfectly fair decision.

If I had to nitpick anything, it'd be that maybe (and who knows with the editing) she didn't try hard enough to make Lacina going home instead of Ben more of a reality. Being able to pit Ben against Tony in firemaking (or convince him to give up immunity to take on Tony, in the case of him winning) changes everything. I know it was a close call, but I'd think you'd feel significantly more confident in Ben over Lacina in that situation 10 times out of 10.

Anyway, great season. I don't share their optimism about getting season 41 on the air by fall, however. That seems like it...won't happen.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 14, 2020

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm think the path to the final tribal needs to change. The way it goes now with the immunity winner picking one person while two people go to fire really does more for the people going to fire than it does for the immunity winner and the picked person is also getting kind of screwed. It might be better if the final immunity winner was just guaranteed a spot in the final tribal while all three of the others make fire (either one or two could then advance). The other option could be the final immunity challenge is at 5 and then the final four ALL have to make fire with either a final two or final three.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

why even vote at all? just make fire every 3 days, who ever makes fire the worst gets kicked off.

instead of Jeff saying "the tribe has spoken" he can say "you're fired". hire me cbs.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I know they added the firemaking portion because they were tired of the obvious "favorite" going out at F4 so consistently instead of being allowed a chance to make fire. While I get their reasons for changing it up, I don't really like what it's turned into.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
It's actually astonishing that everyone let Tony and Sarah go so far as a pair anyway. I wouldn't expect anything from Ben so I'm not surprised he sort of glommed on to them, but pretty disappointing out of Denise and Nick (and those who went before). Jeremy must have figured he could beat anyone so whatever.

I've come around to Natalie blowing her two chances, which is too bad. She needed to take the chance of using the idol on Michele (oops Tony was immune, still should have done it to boot Sarah) or making fire against Tony. She did neither, and she had no shot with Tony at the end.

Popero fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 14, 2020

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I can understand Natalie's hesitation of not wanting to go head to head with Tony after winning immunity given how much work she put in to get back into the game, but yeah I think it's reasonable to assume that unless you are responsible for taking out the person you know everyone is praising on the jury, it doesn't matter if you make it to FTC.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's weird to consider that if Sarah's crummy husk fire had burned through that rope instead of just singing it, we'd either be a) arguing about a Natalie win, or b) considering Sarah the greatest player ever.

Max posted:

I can understand Natalie's hesitation of not wanting to go head to head with Tony after winning immunity given how much work she put in to get back into the game, but yeah I think it's reasonable to assume that unless you are responsible for taking out the person you know everyone is praising on the jury, it doesn't matter if you make it to FTC.
On KIA they were saying Natalie at least should have put Michele against Tony. If Michele wins, boom, there goes your biggest threat. If Tony wins, maybe he and Sarah will split a bunch of votes. Instead she put the two leaders in it against each other, so one of them was going to get to slay the other and carry their combined game alone into FTC.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ben was so weird this season. Like, he has the tight social bond with two people he could never beat, he protects them and ends up sacrificing himself for one of them, but then he also spends the rest of his time giving Jeremy the silent treatment, yelling at Adam, and being basically unlikable to everyone else. It's like the ultimate antisocial social game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

On KIA they were saying Natalie at least should have put Michele against Tony. If Michele wins, boom, there goes your biggest threat. If Tony wins, maybe he and Sarah will split a bunch of votes. Instead she put the two leaders in it against each other, so one of them was going to get to slay the other and carry their combined game alone into FTC.

Michelle got zero votes though so replacing her with Lacina doesn't put any votes up for grabs that Natalie could gain, which means that, no matter how the votes split between Tony and Lacina, Nat either finishes second or third.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Fast Luck posted:

Ben was so weird this season. Like, he has the tight social bond with two people he could never beat, he protects them and ends up sacrificing himself for one of them, but then he also spends the rest of his time giving Jeremy the silent treatment, yelling at Adam, and being basically unlikable to everyone else. It's like the ultimate antisocial social game.

I love this take of his selfless act actually costing Sarah the game too (they vote out Michele, Ben beats Tony in fire, Sarah beats Ben and Natalie in FTC)!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Ben just loving sucks.

Stokes posted:

Tyson must have been getting a lot of poo poo because he straight up deleted every single tweet on his account.

Survivor fans are weird as hell. I'm annoyed Michelle didn't get any votes but I'm not going to go flame people about it. The jury system is a jury system, it's just how the jury members feel. Just like a legal jury, part of the gamble you take with leaving fate up to such a horrible thing as a human being. You're also deluding yourself if you don't think the overwhelming majority of all Survivor winners weren't chosen on a similar basis. I don't care what kind of game you played, if you're a crap person I don't like or care for, no way in hell I'm ever electing to give you a million dollars.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popero posted:

I love this take of his selfless act actually costing Sarah the game too (they vote out Michele, Ben beats Tony in fire, Sarah beats Ben and Natalie in FTC)!

And alternately, Natalie's best (and possibly only) path to victory at that point was idoling out Sarah and having Ben beat Tony in fire so she could go against Michele and Ben in FTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Fast Luck posted:

Weasel Ben