Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Playing the Halo: Anniversary campaign and I can't pick up weapons that are on the ground. Switching weapons also doesn't work half of the time. JFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Played a round of snipers on the halo 2 version of bloodgulch today during my lunch break and it was pretty fun on M/KB. It’s always so weird the first time you play a game you’ve played on console with a mouse, Destiny 2 had the same weird feeling when I tried the beta on PC, but I feel like the game translates well to PC. I put a message in the discord but if people start playing this again, let me know. I would love to run with a squad of players in a party sometime.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Vichan posted:

Playing the Halo: Anniversary campaign and I can't pick up weapons that are on the ground. Switching weapons also doesn't work half of the time. JFC.

I don't know if this is the same issue as the last time, but make sure you've got the latest Windows OS update installed and try it again. That's a Thing That Will Make poo poo Not Work for some reason.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, I tried to update the game, it decided to not update correctly, error page recommended restarting PC, App tries to launch now but nothing happens. Going into the Microsoft Store App says there's an issue with the app and needs to be reinstalled, reinstall button does nothing.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Nice to see that Halo 2 Anniversary's co-op actually works, unlike Combat Evolved Anniversary's. I wanted to ask again if anybody was having problem connecting in CEA's co-op, because I get disconnected during the loading screens and dumped out of the party.

Also, the sound effects/music volume in H2's remastered mode are MUCH louder than in classic mode. I've been sticking with classic because you lose the visual "pop" of an Elite's shield when it gets taken down in remastered.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Or at least make it a public beta or something if youre that desperate for a release. With that many big issues left (the sun disappears wtf??) it might as well still be in beta.

Just get Olivia Benson over there and she'll sort them out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljQ2HEJkP4&hd=1&t=198s

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

Nice to see that Halo 2 Anniversary's co-op actually works, unlike Combat Evolved Anniversary's. I wanted to ask again if anybody was having problem connecting in CEA's co-op, because I get disconnected during the loading screens and dumped out of the party.

Also, the sound effects/music volume in H2's remastered mode are MUCH louder than in classic mode. I've been sticking with classic because you lose the visual "pop" of an Elite's shield when it gets taken down in remastered.

CE Anniversary was a laggy mess on the 360 too. I get the occasional drop-out sometimes and gameplay ranges from hilariously unplayable to okay.

Also yeah the shield effects in 2 remastered are awful. Given how much of an emphasis is placed on popping elite shields, it seems like a dumb oversight.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I can't seem to get the multiplayer to install (it just says "Pending") so I decided to try the single player.

Audio for the marines/sgt johnson seems off, yay more audio issues. In addition I can't set any keybindings. If I try to change them, the game won't recognize it and ask me to revert back to default. Also elites I thought dual-wielded before are not and I check the bug list and lo and behold, elites won't dual-wield in the campaign.

Hopefully I can download the campaign at some point...but I am very tempted to stop and wait for 343 to patch this poo poo because goddamn

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

You have to select it then click on the small "Accept" tile that appears bottom left and is the same colour as the background UI and not highlighted.

I was fooled by this too.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

You have to select it then click on the small "Accept" tile that appears bottom left and is the same colour as the background UI and not highlighted.

I was fooled by this too.

Holy poo poo it was that! What an incredibly stupid UI and I work in service desk so I spend most of my day telling olds click this or click that in UIs that specifically hold your hand through the entire process.

I can't imagine how many people miss that loving ACCEPT tile which has the same size letter head AND color as the background with absolutely nothing to indicate that A) you need to click that or B) it is even there.

Jesus loving christ 343 do they not have anyone who playtests these things?? :psyduck:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

https://twitter.com/HaloSupport/status/1260450751677071360

Bug in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go76QVgGCYw

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Some more details - as of now Halo 2 MP is straight up broken lol

quote:

8:00 PM – 9:59 PM
We were on the phone with Steam and buttons were pressed at 7:58 to ensure the game was available at 8:00 pm. Over the next several hours we saw players installing, booting up, playing, and streaming the game. We saw small issues that we triaged in our “War Room” (a virtual Teams call with members of various teams across the studio) and were able to assess and mitigate a few minor things very quickly.

10:00 PM – First Contact
At approximately 10:00 PM, it was brought to our attention that a clip had been made where LEGIQN shot a series of rockets and they were betraying his teammates on the other side of the map. It happened a few times and he ended up getting booted from the match because of this. This was flagged in the War Room to the entire group of folks around 10:06 as a potential issue to be aware of as we continued to look across social and monitor streams.

11:00 PM – 1:59 AM
By about 11 we had compiled roughly 10+ clips of players who had experienced this issue on streams, created threads, and it was clear this was a real issue that was not present during flighting for Halo 2 just a few weeks back. Something had changed and not for the good. We ended up putting out a tweet from Halo Support @HaloSupport and it was added to our Known Issues to let players know we were aware and investigating.QA, Community, Engineering, and Production were syncing together for a while to discuss, dissect, and come up with ideas of what could be causing this issue. Around 12:30 folks were in game starting to work on reproducing the issue on PC and while others jumped on a console. A group of us got together and were able to get into a match and find a reliable “repro” for this issue.

2:00 AM – 9:59 AM
Early in the morning, Production put together a detailed email to our development partners at Saber outlining the reproduction steps, a series of clips, and the area we believe the issue may have arisen from so they could begin investigation on their side. Saber was able to reproduce on their side, enter a bug, and then reached out and talked our teams through a potential fix. A new test build was created and sent over to 343 for our test teams to dig in and investigate the results

.10:00 AM To 7:00 PM
Teams have been continuing investigations and working through the issue itself along with other bugs that the community has been raising. Unfortunately, the initial fix we were validating did not resolve the issue in Halo 2, so our joint teams will continue investigating a fix. Additionally, a few of our other priorities also include investigating graphical and behavioral oddities in Halo 3 multiplayer matchmaking on Xbox One as well as some reports surrounding Keybinding on PC.As a reminder, if there are issues you are encountering at any time including Halo 3 or Keybinding, please be sure to submit them over at aka.ms/HaloSupport. We are always looking for more pieces of information to help us understand and work to act on issues that the community is facing. The more details we have, the more efficiently our test teams can unravel these mysteries.

What Comes Next
Right now, we are still working towards a fix for the Halo 2 projectile issue. In addition, work continues in parallel validating fixes for other issues (some of the Known Issues were already being worked on at launch, etc..). Once the team feels good about the fixes for a handful of these key issues, we will need to spend adequate time internally and with our partners testing and verifying that these issues are truly resolved and there are no regressions elsewhere in the title. Once we get to that point, we’ll have a better sense of timing to release a hotfix.Please know that our teams are working as quickly as they can to address issues and areas of feedback. The reality is that no two issues are the same – some end up being quick and easy fixes while others are far more tangled and complex requiring lengthier testing and more substantial release management dependencies. And of course, all of this comes at a time when our teams and development partners are scattered and working-from-home, without our standard resources and facilities, doing their best to navigate a new development and production reality.Thank you for your continued support and for continuing to report issues as you encounter them. Please keep an eye on our Known Issues and stay tuned to @HaloSupport. We’ll share more information on the hotfix and what it will include as soon as we can.

source:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...f8953cdea/posts

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 14, 2020

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

...how did this get through QA? I think these ports needed at least another six months to simmer and bug fix, at this rate.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

How much you want to bet that they're all being rushed in whatever states they're in because MS decreed everything needs to be out by the time Halo Infinite comes out?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
How do they keep loving this up so spectacularly, like goddamn

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Is it 343 Studios still? That should answer everything.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is it not MS rushing them AGAIN? Because it sounds like it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to the timeline post above (and seriously wtf happened to the formatting on that) the bug wasn't in the public test build, so something must've gone fucky between that and the final release and they're scrambling to co-ordinate with a dev partner in another timezone to figure out what precisely went pair-shaped. This has happened with games in the past, but they usually didn't have such bizarrely bureaucracy-riddled testing processes and as such could usually shart out a hotfix in a day or two stat. I suspect it'll take a bit longer here.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

According to the timeline post above (and seriously wtf happened to the formatting on that) the bug wasn't in the public test build, so something must've gone fucky between that and the final release and they're scrambling to co-ordinate with a dev partner in another timezone to figure out what precisely went pair-shaped. This has happened with games in the past, but they usually didn't have such bizarrely bureaucracy-riddled testing processes and as such could usually shart out a hotfix in a day or two stat. I suspect it'll take a bit longer here.

My bad I was phone posting and the mobile app apparently didn't appreciate the copy and paste - I just fixed it up.

I'm personally going to hold off on the game for a few days (weeks?) until 343 can get a few patches out.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 14, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
FWIW I played a few games last night and didn't notice any issues, then again I seem to have been absurdly lucky when it comes to MCC glitches

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I’ve been playing during my work breaks and it’s a blast until you end up on a bad team in CTF where the other team pins your team in it’s base but that’s less a glitch and more just a consequence of playing with randoms against an organized team.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

V for Vegans posted:

I’ve been playing during my work breaks and it’s a blast until you end up on a bad team in CTF where the other team pins your team in it’s base but that’s less a glitch and more just a consequence of playing with randoms against an organized team.

Yea that's a feature of Halo lol.

For what it's worth I heard that Halo 2 A (Halo2C seems to have most of the issues) multiplayer has been working fine so I'm going to try to get a few rounds in tonight.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

For what it's worth I heard that Halo 2 A (Halo2C seems to have most of the issues) multiplayer has been working fine so I'm going to try to get a few rounds in tonight.
The projectile bug is in H2 Classic multi. H2 Anniversary multi is an entirely different codebase (it's basically a Halo 4 mod) so it's not effected. It probably has other problems, but I haven't paid too much attention yet.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried to play Halo CE multiplayer today and after 10 minutes waiting for players noped out. Is it really so dead a few months later?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Theres definitely some performance issues in the Halo 2 campaign. The game runs flawlessly except for a couple of bits where if I look at a specific spot my framerate dips. For some reason my framerate also halves whenever I drive the Scorpion - and only the Scorpion. Other vehicles are not affected.

I've been out of the loop with Halo until picking this up for many years, mainly because I didn't get the Xbox One, but seriously what the hell happened? My prior memories of Halo was this killer app franchise that was a wildly successful series of polished and well regarded titles. Now apparently Halo 5 was crap, the Master Chief collection is fun but riddled with issues, and overall no one seems to give a poo poo about the franchise, including Infinite.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hed posted:

I tried to play Halo CE multiplayer today and after 10 minutes waiting for players noped out. Is it really so dead a few months later?

No, it's more populated than that usually. Are you sure you're up to date? It'll let you launch and look for games but do nothing if you're not, for some stupid reason

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hed posted:

I’ve run into this too especially trying to find BTB games.

Also when I do find a game 9/10 its the Sidewinder map :-/

I personally don’t think all that many people are playing CE

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

No, it's more populated than that usually. Are you sure you're up to date? It'll let you launch and look for games but do nothing if you're not, for some stupid reason

I was streaming in Halo 2 campaign and MP (thanks to the accept tip) but maybe something was hosed while it was coming down. Thanks, I’ll give it another shot next time.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Played some Halo 2 A and even a round of Halo 2C and...had fun!

First I got my keybindings figured out, something called “slider” was not bound in reach so took care of that and then was able to set keybindings for Halo 2

Both Halo 2 A and C seemed to run fine, and I didn’t notice any super obvious glitches. I didn’t notice any of my shots missing in Halo 2C. I am an atrocious player though, so its hard to tell if I’m missing intentionally or not. :v:

I also tried to play a round of Halo CE but after waiting in the match making queue for 10min for a BTB game I gave up. It seems like Halo CE is dead :(

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Should we try to organize a goon MP night or something? It might be fun to experience all the lovely issues together. Also shoot mans.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I agree, it would be fun to do MP shenanigans.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Update: The H2C MP projectile bug has been found and fixed. An update with the fix (and presumably some fixes for the other known issues) will be out soon, but not "this weekend" soon according to a 343 dev on Reddit.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

. . . Aaaaaaand H2A co-op doesn't work either. My co-op partner and I were able to do the first two stages of the campaign the other night, but last night we had the same issue where I got disconnected over and over again. We didn't have this problem with Reach, for what it's worth. This should not be happening, and I'm shocked whoever's been handling the MCC allows these kinds of oversights to slip by.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
H2A makes me feel kinda sick just like H2 Vista did. I assume it's the view models? I've turned up the FOV to the max.

H1 was fine to play.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'd forgotten how 2004 H2 was: it starts out with another 'repel boarders' mission, then there's a 'fight through dusty brown Middle Eastern city streets' mission, then it's off to another Halo to be shredded by sniper fire from inside some jungle ruins.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

spincube posted:

I'd forgotten how 2004 H2 was: it starts out with another 'repel boarders' mission, then there's a 'fight through dusty brown Middle Eastern city streets' mission, then it's off to another Halo to be shredded by sniper fire from inside some jungle ruins.

Yea New Mombasa looks less like "Equatorial major city circa 25th century" and more like "Fallujah 2004" and even at the time I remember thinking "huh, this looks nothing like the future city from the 2003 demo..."

New Mombasa changed dramatically in ODST though and looks more like the city that Bungie had originally envisioned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always appreciated how Halo doesn't really give a particular poo poo about North America or Europe at all and all you really know about it is if you look at Earth in 2 or 3 America's looking pretty scorched.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Speaking of the E3 2003 Demo two Bungie developers re-play the demo on an Xbox Dev kit somewhat recently and provide commentary on what changed (just about everything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnWKCSsLOOU

The game ran like poo poo and they had to rebuild it from scratch after that demo.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
drat. I'm glad I paid attention to none of the hype back then, even though I was excited for the sequel. I was happy as a clam when the game released, and blissfully unaware of the poo poo they had to redo or cut.

This kind of poo poo really feels like it was Bungie's MO from start to finish, at least with the Halo franchise. I wonder how many of the issues with the remake are caused by Bungie's (assumed) spaghetti code vs 343's (assumed) incompetence. People love to bash 343 and maybe rightfully so, but I'm getting a feeling that at least some of the problems stem from Bungie's way of doing things and from the fact that much of the poo poo from og xbox times has become...well, arcane. Case in point being the sound issues with Reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Speaking of the E3 2003 Demo two Bungie developers re-play the demo on an Xbox Dev kit somewhat recently and provide commentary on what changed (just about everything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnWKCSsLOOU

The game ran like poo poo and they had to rebuild it from scratch after that demo.
Here's the full version of that stream. At some point they try as hard as they can to crash the demo build... but it turns out it wasn't nearly as fragile as they remembered and they just end up driving around an inexplicably large (and extremely empty) city map after the scripting snaps in half, leaving them incapable of triggering the finale.

They also have a couple of other early Halo 2 builds they dug up, but they sadly don't turn out to be all that playable. :(