Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I somehow got more endgame gear from silver item seeds (probably from the whole "more of them means more chances"). Gold item seeds seem to give me more permanent stat up stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They can all give you gear, but what specific item per type you're getting from a seed is fixed when you loot it. Every seed can either grow into a piece of equipment, a consumable or a serum. The specific version (eg. weapon X, chocolate or strength serum) will not change but you can save-scum to get the gear if it's a piece you want.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Well I think I just found the perfect trash mobs murder team post game. Kevin, Charlotte and Riesz, after class 4 spheres and their chain abilities, plus the lil cactus chain ability means you'll go into each battle adding 200% of your CS gauge. I have Kevin use Seiryu Strike immediately and that almost always kills all enemies. If not, Riesz will use Seraph which finishes everyone off. After the battle, the chain abilities I have set up refill the CS gauge a bit and refill all my MP.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ugh, while Anise's Stockade is mildly interesting at least in the aesthetic department the first time around, on 2nd and 3rd playthroughs it's gratingly annoying.

The fact that NG+ is locked behind it makes it even worse.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Having just finished my second play through, I 100% agree. It’s really nothing special, and I definitely already had “Final Dungeon Fatigue” going in both times which didn’t help.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Poque posted:

Lmao Duran just talked about "getting his steps in" at the Moon Tower. He's such a dork in this version and it rules.

I fuckin’ love his kinda-psychotic laugh in combat. He’s clearly living his best life.

E: also I feel like NG+ Anise is when you’re supposed to try to get the clear time as low as possible. You already have all 99s from the 300% XP ability and like 99% of chain abilities so you should have all the tools necessary to get that kill in under a minute.

jokes fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 14, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

jokes posted:

E: also I feel like NG+ Anise is when you’re supposed to try to get the clear time as low as possible. You already have all 99s from the 300% XP ability and like 99% of chain abilities so you should have all the tools necessary to get that kill in under a minute.

Depending on your party and classes you can perfectly do it on your first run. Dark Kevin with Dark Duran/Light Charlotte assist is a good option.

Or just Angela. Angela is all you'll ever need. Fear Angela.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JxZHT4kqw8

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The stat up items seem broken and I only get actual stats up if I use them on my main character.
I used a luck one on Hawk who had 14 luck and it didn't go up to 15 for sure. Unless they have to be the character I'm controlling?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Taear posted:

The stat up items seem broken and I only get actual stats up if I use them on my main character.
I used a luck one on Hawk who had 14 luck and it didn't go up to 15 for sure. Unless they have to be the character I'm controlling?

Maybe they break if you use them in a town when your party splits? I know for sure I've seen my party members HP/MP increase when I used the Vitality/Magic Elixir on them, but can't remember if it was on the field or in a town.

Speaking of, the tooltip says you can only get a limited amount. Is this forever, or can you get more on a NG+? Do the stat increase from items carry over to NG+? I fed all my Strength Serums on my 1st and 2nd playthrough to Kevin, and haven't gotten any at all on my 3rd playthrough

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It was in town - you'd think that most people would have attempted it in town though since that's where you actually get the item.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Ugh, while Anise's Stockade is mildly interesting at least in the aesthetic department the first time around, on 2nd and 3rd playthroughs it's gratingly annoying.

The fact that NG+ is locked behind it makes it even worse.

I'm fairly sure it's not locked behind it?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Arkeus posted:

I'm fairly sure it's not locked behind it?

Nope, you most certainly have to beat Anise to unlock NG+, even on 2nd+ playthroughs

The file I had selected was my 3rd playthrough, after beating the final boss but before beating Anise

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there anyway to just get rid of a bunch of money or get my character to shut the gently caress up about how much I have? In this case Angela's said the same lines about being rich so often it's driving me up a wall.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

Is there anyway to just get rid of a bunch of money or get my character to shut the gently caress up about how much I have? In this case Angela's said the same lines about being rich so often it's driving me up a wall.
Buy all the gear and consumables and then eat all the chocolate etc. and buy it again. This will take forever.

So basically, no.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

I wonder if you’ve maybe confused the stat itself with Training points? I did that at first too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

timp posted:

I wonder if you’ve maybe confused the stat itself with Training points? I did that at first too

Yeah it's this. Hawk should have way more than 14 luck.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

timp posted:

Oooh poo poo. No I thought the potions gave training points.
Well that makes sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Playing through Anise stockade last night with class 4 dark Angela and I paused the game to get a drink. When I got back my wife was like "I am giving Angela some major side eye right now" and I was like "More like some major side boob an I right?"

I offered a high five but did not receive one

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Taear posted:

Oooh poo poo. No I thought the potions gave training points.
Well that makes sense.

Press triangle (X on Switch) on the main pause menu to see their actual stats.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sure am glad that I can boost Angela's INT all the way from 242 to 243, real big difference that's going to make.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How is this remake compared to the original? I played the demo and it was pretty fun (bad voice acting aside) but idk am I better off just getting the mana collection or what. I haven't really played much of these games besides playing some of the Adventure remake on my phone a while back and bouncing off of Sword of Mana very hard back in the day because of its cutscenes being really long and boring.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Press triangle (X on Switch) on the main pause menu to see their actual stats.

It's R or something on PC and it's not that, I specifically thought the potions gave training points in that stat
Since they don't it feels like they're really lovely.

Augus posted:

How is this remake compared to the original? I played the demo and it was pretty fun (bad voice acting aside) but idk am I better off just getting the mana collection or what. I haven't really played much of these games besides playing some of the Adventure remake on my phone a while back and bouncing off of Sword of Mana very hard back in the day because of its cutscenes being really long and boring.

It's a billion times better than the original and there's no reason AT ALL to get the original now. And I say that as someone who loved Secret of Mana and SK3.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Augus posted:

This game owns. It's much better than the original. To be fair I haven't played the original as long as this, but I had a lot of fun with this game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be honest the remake hasn't completely replaced the original for me, mainly because the spritework in the original is absolutely gorgeous. If it also happened to be bug free then the two would be of equal ranking for me. The remake is really goddamn good though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Augus posted:

It's an absolutely fantastic remake that innovates in several key areas while staying surprisingly faithful to the original in others. If you've played the Secret of Mana remake, it's night and day compared to that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Taear posted:

It's R or something on PC and it's not that, I specifically thought the potions gave training points in that stat
Since they don't it feels like they're really lovely.

It's a billion times better than the original and there's no reason AT ALL to get the original now. And I say that as someone who loved Secret of Mana and SK3.

You get exactly enough training points to max out each stat so it wouldn’t really make sense to randomly get extra ones. Anyway, stat up potions are nice, I don’t agree that they are useless. Giving Angela a boost in HP or Stamina is helpful, for example.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That's good to hear, guess I'll give it a go

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm hopeful for future Squenix given that they seem to have learned from feedback to both the Octopath demo and the SoM remake.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Poque posted:

I'm hopeful for future Squenix given that they seem to have learned from feedback to both the Octopath demo and the SoM remake.

Does SoM (assuming you mean secret of mana) count as a remake? Wasn't it just a remaster?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, star anise is probably a bit too long. The floating platform transportation pad areas weren't necessary.

What level is high enough to beat the black rabite? I've got my team around 77 on medium, with my two strongest characters (Kevin and Riesz) equipped with their class 4 weapons.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get exactly enough training points to max out each stat so it wouldn’t really make sense to randomly get extra ones. Anyway, stat up potions are nice, I don’t agree that they are useless. Giving Angela a boost in HP or Stamina is helpful, for example.

I saved mine over 2 playthroughs and used them all on Level 1 Charlotte in my last NG+. She was my main character, so getting a boost at the start (especially to ATK) sped things up a bit.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Augus posted:

I don't think it's really a choice in terms of better/worse. If you want to play an old SNES game that has aged pretty well, get the collection. If you want to play something that hearkens back to that age but is updated with modern gaming sensibilities, the remake is perfect. If you're like me and like both of those things, or you want to experience the same story in two vastly different media, get both.

I do think that playing the original first lets you appreciate the remake at another level.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taear posted:

Does SoM (assuming you mean secret of mana) count as a remake? Wasn't it just a remaster?

Generally, a remaster uses the original assets, but polished up. FFX is a really good example, they are using the same engine and models from 2001 but with much higher resolution textures. SoM, like SD3, was remade in a new engine.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, star anise is probably a bit too long. The floating platform transportation pad areas weren't necessary.

What level is high enough to beat the black rabite? I've got my team around 77 on medium, with my two strongest characters (Kevin and Riesz) equipped with their class 4 weapons.

I managed to beat him at around level 70 with Duran, Charlotte and Hawkeye, all D/L Class 4. I believe only Charlotte had her Class 4 weapon, but I definitely had to spam Cups at one point. I think I got lucky when Charlotte wound up the one up when I failed interrupting a Primal attack and it dropped a meteor on her adorable, magic resistant self.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The main problem with Dark Rabite is that some of his attacks do enough damage to one shot squishier characters, and the AI is not particularly good at moving away from them (namely the one where it grows big and does a body slam).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anybody remember the teleporter path in the anise lair? I'm about to do it again and would like to just blaze through preferably. Springs I could at least visually see where they went

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

seiferguy posted:

That will be fine for beating it, my team of Kev/Rieze/Charlotte beat it on Hard at around 70 so 77 on medium is totally doable.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Defiance Industries posted:

Generally, a remaster uses the original assets, but polished up. FFX is a really good example, they are using the same engine and models from 2001 but with much higher resolution textures. SoM, like SD3, was remade in a new engine.
I think that would still be considered a re-release for most people, maybe with a HD tacked on to the end of it to distinguish it if it's on a newer system or re-added previously cut content.

Remaster would be new engine/voice/art assets but fundamentally the same game at its core. So Warcraft3: Reforged and Spyro: Reignited use all new art, but play exactly the same as the original. In theory, you could record controller inputs then replay them in both versions and expect similar results.

Then remake is when the game itself changes completely. Resident evil 2, RE3, Final Fantasy 7 and Trials of Mana reuse storylines and characters, but play totally differently from the original games.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Anybody remember the teleporter path in the anise lair? I'm about to do it again and would like to just blaze through preferably. Springs I could at least visually see where they went
Someone made this:

I took a screenshot of the full map and wanted to make my own, but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Feels like they wasted their time since it looks and feels identical.