Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

A couple of hours ago authorities announced the Polish presidential election that were supposed to take place this Sunday will be postponed, probably until July.
PiS in their usual fashion made a mess of a simple decision that should have been announced weeks ago. I guess they are afraid that "the pen"* won't get elected once true economic impact hits.

*President Andrzej Duda, whose authority and personal commitment is limited only to signing anything Kaczyński wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Even Russia scaled back its Victory Day celebration. Not Belarus.

At least the babushka gets it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Surprisingly, outside of Minsk, there were almost no celebrations. Barely even any people with St. George ribbons or apple flower badges. Local government officials laid flowers at WWII monuments accompanied by a handful of soldiers and military students, as usual, but very few places organised concerts and large-scale events one would expect on V-Day.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Ukraine is really doing a lot to fight its reputation as a den of neo-nazis!

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/police-officer-requests-official-list-of-all-jews-in-ukrainian-city-sparking-fury-1.8837491

quote:

“Please provide us the following information regarding the Orthodox Jewish religious community of Kolomyya, namely: The organization’s charter; list of members of the Jewish religious community, with indication of data, mobile phones and their places of residence,” read the letter.

The letter was signed by Myhaylo Bank, a high-ranking officer in the national police force who handles organized crime. The letter did not explain his unit’s particular interest in Kolomyya’s Jews.

The head of the city’s Jewish community, Jacob Zalichker, declined on February 25 to provide the requested information, adding that his community would comply only when presented with a court-ordered warrant.

“It’s a total disgrace and open anti-Semitism,” Dolinsky told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency. “It’s especially dangerous when it comes from a law enforcement agency that we have to fight the very thing it is perpetrating.”

Kolomyya and its environs, located about 250 miles southwest of Kiev, has several hundred Jews.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 11, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ironically, Kolomyya is the place that gave the name to Ihor Kolomoyskyi, the oligarch who sponsored Zelenskyi's presidential campaign.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is just fantastic.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Representing foreign governments as a unified monolith: almost never accurate, but your readers don't care and you're on deadline:

https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1259724213809799172

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Representing foreign governments as a unified monolith: almost never accurate, but your readers don't care and you're on deadline:

https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1259724213809799172

So I read Ukrainian, and this guy's take literally changes nothing?

https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1259724911930679297

Ah see, racial profiling is not the official public policy of the FBI, so therefore racism is a much smaller issue in the US than you believe.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

So I read Ukrainian, and this guy's take literally changes nothing?

https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1259724911930679297

Ah see, racial profiling is not the official public policy of the FBI, so therefore racism is a much smaller issue in the US than you believe.

Err, could you misrepresent what he said any more than that? The fact that the letter is hideously anti-semitic and written by an anti-semitic head of a regional police force isn't under contention here. He also doesn't gloss over the fact that one of the most powerful people in the Police is a white supremacist etc.

What is under contention is whether the Ukraine is entirely run by an anti-semitic, fascist, junta, which is exactly what that thread addresses. Including the fact that certain Jews are being cast as "not real Jews" since them being so is inconvenient for the narrative people are pushing. Similar to more liberal Jews supporting Corbyn were cast as fake and or apostates by the more conservative Jewish organizations there.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Munin posted:

What is under contention is whether the Ukraine is entirely run by an anti-semitic, fascist, junta, which is exactly what that thread addresses.

Never implied that, just some top cops with hard-ons to catch some 19th-century style jewish gangsters really doesnt help that perception! Not to mention an official policy of "both sides-ing" WW2

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 12, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

Never implied that, just some top cops with hard-ons to catch some 19th-century style jewish gangsters really doesnt help that perception! Not to mention an official policy of "both sides-ing" WW2

In that case I don't think there is much disagreement between you and the guy who posted that Twitter thread. I don't think that he thinks that the current people with strong influence over a lot of the police force are not a big problem.

Also, given their history with the Russian Empire then the Soviet Union it is kinda understandable that they don't entirely cast the Nazis as the sole bad guy of the piece. Finland has similar issues in certain regards due to having fought on the wrong side of that conflict but not due to any particular love of the Nazis and their policies. That is yet another issue though which, whilst also having ties to the anti-semitism stuff due to the whole fash Nazi loving contingent, also has a slew of other stuff and motivations tied into it which has very little to do with the love of Nazis.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Both sides-ing" WW2 is perfectly understandable if your country was unlucky enough to be "liberated" by the Soviets. Or, y'know, attacked by them, like Poland or Finland.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

anilEhilated posted:

"Both sides-ing" WW2 is perfectly understandable if your country was unlucky enough to be "liberated" by the Soviets. Or, y'know, attacked by them, like Poland or Finland.

little different when instead of being "liberated" by the Soviets, you literally were the soviets, and your german-armed "national liberation movement" had a penchant for nailing polish children to walls

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Vasukhani posted:

little different when instead of being "liberated" by the Soviets, you literally were the soviets, and your german-armed "national liberation movement" had a penchant for nailing polish children to walls
That's just whataboutism, though - doesn't change anything about what the Soviets did and what today's Russia is hellbent on whitewashing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 13, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

anilEhilated posted:

That's just whataboutism, though - doesn't change anything about what the Soviets did and what today's Russia is hellbent on whitewashing.

the evil foreign occupiers of Ukraine -- the Ukrainians! We were so close to being a liberated nation, complete free from any slavs outside of the reservations! We would all not even exist! Clearly, the fact that Ukraine even exists today shows that both sides were really equally bad.

Russians pretending they are the owners of Soviet history is dumb, just as much as Ukrainians pretending that every Soviet was Russian.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 13, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vasukhani posted:

the evil foreign occupiers of Ukraine -- the Ukrainians! We were so close to being a liberated nation, complete free from any slavs outside of the reservations! We would all not even exist! Clearly, the fact that Ukraine even exists today shows that both sides were really equally bad.

You're forgetting that Western Ukraine was under Poland from 1921 to 1939, and that's exactly the territory where more people view USSR's role in WWII primarily as occupiers. So, it makes sense at the very least, even if you disagree. And, well, Russia's current involvement in Ukraine doesn't help with that at all.

The actual problem is that this view was (and to a lesser extent still is) promoted as the official state ideology, to the point where the last surviving veteran of SS Galicia had a state-sponsored funeral with SS cosplayers in full nazi uniforms with zero repercussions to anyone involved, while openly displaying a Soviet flag is much more likely to land you in prison, or at least lead to some troubles with the police or 'patriotic activists' (in some cases they are one and the same). Of course, technically, both nazi and communist symbols are illegal in Ukraine, but the latter is just punished more often. Not to mention that state propaganda is more eager to overlook blemishes in biographies of OUN and UPA heroes, while Soviet WWII generals are under much more scrutiny, especially when it comes to things like naming streets or erecting/demolishing monuments and statues. It's... not ideal.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Paladinus posted:

You're forgetting that Western Ukraine was under Poland from 1921 to 1939, and that's exactly the territory where more people view USSR's role in WWII primarily as occupiers. So, it makes sense at the very least, even if you disagree. And, well, Russia's current involvement in Ukraine doesn't help with that at all.

The actual problem is that this view was (and to a lesser extent still is) promoted as the official state ideology, to the point where the last surviving veteran of SS Galicia had a state-sponsored funeral with SS cosplayers in full nazi uniforms with zero repercussions to anyone involved, while openly displaying a Soviet flag is much more likely to land you in prison, or at least lead to some troubles with the police or 'patriotic activists' (in some cases they are one and the same). Of course, technically, both nazi and communist symbols are illegal in Ukraine, but the latter is just punished more often. Not to mention that state propaganda is more eager to overlook blemishes in biographies of OUN and UPA heroes, while Soviet WWII generals are under much more scrutiny, especially when it comes to things like naming streets or erecting/demolishing monuments and statues. It's... not ideal.

To be fair there's a lot more soviet memorials to remove than nazi ones, seeing as the Ukraine was actually run by them for many decades and they certainly were not keen on celebrating nazis (whether real or imagined ones).

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Private Speech posted:

To be fair there's a lot more soviet memorials to remove than nazi ones, seeing as the Ukraine was actually run by them for many decades and they certainly were not keen on celebrating nazis (whether real or imagined ones).

and lest we have no monumental statues, we can always replace a Lenin with a Bandera! Always struck me as an odd figure to be obsessed with, he like spent most of his life in prison or as a rather pathetic gangster

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 14, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I thought Ukraine was the original Russia?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

Russians pretending they are the owners of Soviet history is dumb, just as much as Ukrainians pretending that every Soviet was Russian.

As we all know of course the only true Soviet was Georgian.

The Ukrainian was only fit for an ice pick, have his movement reduced to pamphlets and being derided by good Communists everywhere.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I thought Ukraine was the original Russia?

Kievan Rus the Original Rus. Too bad Mongols screwed them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Kievan Rus was Swedish! Rus = Roslagen, see?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Are there crazy Swedish "ancient fuckyuge empire" theories that all the cool nations have? (Alexander of Macedon was totally an Albanian)

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

alex314 posted:

Are there crazy Swedish "ancient fuckyuge empire" theories that all the cool nations have? (Alexander of Macedon was totally an Albanian)

There are crazy Finnish ones. One especially productive dude (Wettenhovi-Aspa) made up theories explaining how the ancient egyptian language was actually Finnish. There is also a modern pseudohistory/conspiracy theory about the Ancient Kings of Finland. Tldr: supposedly there was a Finnish kingdom in the Iron Age that was so big and scary that the Vatican and all other kingdoms everywhere teamed up to destroy it and supress even archeological evidence of its existence.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ataxerxes posted:

There are crazy Finnish ones. One especially productive dude (Wettenhovi-Aspa) made up theories explaining how the ancient egyptian language was actually Finnish. There is also a modern pseudohistory/conspiracy theory about the Ancient Kings of Finland. Tldr: supposedly there was a Finnish kingdom in the Iron Age that was so big and scary that the Vatican and all other kingdoms everywhere teamed up to destroy it and supress even archeological evidence of its existence.

Lest we forget the fallen in the Finno-Korean Hyperwar!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

alex314 posted:

Eh, I think it's accepted theory that Varangians played a large role in establishment of states in Eastern Slavic territories and that founder of Rurik dynasty was originally Varangian.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I guess Rurik and team went native really fast, but I'm pulling it from my rear end based on those lands using cirillic writing system and taking Constantinople as a source of faith instead of Latin and Rome used in the rest of Norse influenced lands.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

alex314 posted:

I guess Rurik and team went native really fast, but I'm pulling it from my rear end based on those lands using cirillic writing system and taking Constantinople as a source of faith instead of Latin and Rome used in the rest of Norse influenced lands.

A bunch of the ol' tales of the Kievan Rus are actually basically chronicles of fighting between colonizer and colonized. The tale of Saint Olga destroying the Drevlians is basically just a viking queen slaughtering the pesky natives. They probably stopped speaking Norse around Volodimir the great 980-ish.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Paladinus posted:

The original 2x thousand year Reich champion

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Paladinus posted:

Ah, the halcyon years.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

US Secretary of State Pompeo brokered a deal with Belarus to buy US oil. It will be shipped to Belarus from Lithuania.

https://twitter.com/LRTenglish/status/1262367920904118277

The news also hit this morning that Secretary Pompeo sold $8 billion in weapons to Saudi Arabia without notifying congress last year too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While Pompeo is such a massive piece of poo poo, it really piques my interest that there will be energy shipments by US into Belarus. I’m curious how Russia will respond (and when, Putin is not having a fantastic time right now).

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Batka's account got locked out due to too much unpaid stuff? Got to respect him for playing all sides.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the catch: they agreed on the deal when oil was -$40 so you're also paying Belarus to take it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's the catch: they agreed on the deal when oil was -$40 so you're also paying Belarus to take it

We're trying to gain favor with Belarus so they don't join the RF.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's probably worth it just so Sauron's eye get distracted by Batka's shenanigans a bit. It also prolongs unavoidable repeat of history with:
"- we want land corridor between our lands
- gently caress off, Poland is ready for war
(Poland wasn't ready for war)"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/DCHomos/status/1263874037190623232

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

After his recent spats with Moscow, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was some kind of a neurotoxin variety of 'coronavirus'.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 22, 2020

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
You don't assassinate the champion of Allah and Vladimir Putin. The champion assassinates you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/PavelTomancak/status/1271569630918856704