Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ok so the way your freezer works is that it's a box with cold air in it. The cold air absorbs the heat energy of stuff it touches and makes that stuff cold.

If your have water that is super cold thanks to putting salt in it, which allows the water to be colder than 32F, and put a can of beer in it then the water will absorb the heat energy in the beer, making it cold.

The rate of energy transfer is faster for a liquid than it is for a gas, so the water bath cools things down faster. The wet paper towel still has the problem of gas-liquid-beer energy transfer which is going to be slower than liquid-beer energy transfer

So i should put salt in my ice chest is what youre saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Salt everywhere, it keeps the demons away.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yes, but don't put it in your car as it could leak saltwater and that's not something you want in your car.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spanish Manlove posted:

Their berliners are typical kettle sour soda adjacent beers but some of them can be tasty, though not at the $18/4pk prices they usually go for.

pffft, call me back when they put out exploding $30 four-packs

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

pffft, call me back when they put out exploding $30 four-packs

Sounds like my third and final batch of home brew. Put too much bottling sugar in and they exploded in my closet. I called it good on home brew that day. All 3 of my batches sucked rear end anyway.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sounds like my third and final batch of home brew. Put too much bottling sugar in and they exploded in my closet. I called it good on home brew that day. All 3 of my batches sucked rear end anyway.
When I brewed mead, the airlock clogged and murdered my closet. Of course it was raspberries so it looks someone actually died in there.

Bonus wbb content

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yes, but don't put it in your car as it could leak saltwater and that's not something you want in your car.

Look buddy, if you're telling me "salt" does magic and keeps things cool. There's no way I'm not gonna pour some in my radiator to keep my engine cool. Big motor isn't gonna keep these secrets from me!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Can beer skunk like almost instantly? I’ve been drinking from a keg of a low-haze NEIPA. Tastes good inside. The other day it was nice and sunny so we had a few glasses outside. Within a few minutes we both noticed a slight skunkiness that wasn’t there. Same with the second glasses also drank outside in full sun. I checked the date on the keg and it’s only a month old. I poured a fresh beer just now and it tastes fine. Is it possible to get lightstruck within minutes? It’s not like we let them sit for a half hour either, pints were drunk within 15 minutes.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Can beer skunk like almost instantly?

yes. we've done it intentionally for tasting panels and, depending on the day and the beer, it really can happen in minutes, which is probably a big part of why you're supposed to drink Heady Topper from the can.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

funkybottoms posted:

yes. we've done it intentionally for tasting panels and, depending on the day and the beer, it really can happen in minutes, which is probably a big part of why you're supposed to drink Heady Topper from the can.

Huh, science :science:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Beer Temple- maybe pre-shop- did a youtube video on it and it was pretty surprising to me how fast it could happen.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Help my beer taste like rear end and idk why!

*leaves cans next to grill while cooking*

Its all smoky and hot!

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 10, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Help my beer taste like rear end and idk why!

*leaves cans next grill while cooking*

Its all smoky and hot!

If you have to put your beer down while grilling I don’t even know what to tell you

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Paulaners helles is like $1 for a tallboy here, barely more than the garbage macro lagers.

For me this is The One

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Got married 5 years ago today. While getting ready, I opened my last OG Rare. So tonight seems an appropriate time to open my last bottle of FauxG Rare.

This is pretty amazing. Vanilla all through the nose and booming in the mouth. Surprisingly, there's a lot of caramel and subdued chocolate. Barrel lingers. The booze vapors just hang in your mouth. There's a cola thing going on, which might be the only real flaw. Great beer, not worth the cost (and no, this has never been close to the first version), but a nice thing to open up for a special occasion.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Klaus Kinski posted:

Paulaners helles is like $1 for a tallboy here, barely more than the garbage macro lagers.

gently caress you!! eat a gently caress!!! [even more enviously] go gently caress yourself!!!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

For me this is The One

ugh, i wish we got that here. got all hot-and-bothered for a helles and picked up some Weihenstephaner Original at the grocery store this morning and it's oxidized as gently caress. goddammit. like, i don't think i could even cook with this poo poo. speaking of which...

obi_ant posted:

Realistically, how important is it to keep beers in the fridge? Mostly things like PAs, IPAs, pilsners.

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/l9v9PEb7Gl/

as the article says, there are some big, malty beers that gain complexity from oxidation, but it is otherwise a major flaw. also, hop oils are extremely volatile, so flavor and aroma in hop-forward beers will decline rapidly if they are stored warm. if you buy a four-pack of some heavily dry-hopped hazy IPA, store them warm, and drink one every few weeks, you'll notice a huge difference

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

If you have to put your beer down while grilling I don’t even know what to tell you

My dad skills are quite lacking

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/change-is-brewing-could-the-future-of-american-craft-beer-be-canned

This article- suggested to me by Google- was published today.

E: The article is significantly less stupid than the headline.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 12, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

danbanana posted:

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/change-is-brewing-could-the-future-of-american-craft-beer-be-canned

This article- suggested to me by Google- was published today.

E: The article is significantly less stupid than the headline.

Alcohol distribution in many parts of the US is going through fundamental changes as it is, and many of these will (hopefully) be permanent. There are a lot of major cities that are allowing bars and restaurants to sell to-go packages, since on-prem sales are effectively dead. And this isn't just beer and wine - some of the more notable cocktail bars around the country are putting together packages where you're basically paying on-premise prices for the ability to take liquor, liqueur, mixers, etc. home. It's not a good deal financially compared to going to a liquor store and grocery store, but it's keeping a lot of places alive at the moment until things can hopefully reopen safely.

This is unlikely to be the end of the 3-tier distribution system, but if even some of these changes stick it could allow every brewery to operate in a manner similar to a winery of a given size (i.e. as you scale, you transition your focus to regional and national distribution vs. local and on prem). That would be a good thing for basically everyone that isn't AB InBev or your local distributor(s).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavirus-could-kill-craft-beer-will-any-brands-survive

quote:

So how many breweries will we lose? The Brewers Association recently surveyed its members and came up with an estimate that 3,600 of the nearly 8,000 breweries in America may go out of business. (The Association itself just laid off a quarter of its employees, which is itself a terrible sign.) When I think about how many of these businesses are small, less than four years old, and largely dependent on draft, on-premise sales, without even a kitchen for a takeout food business, I wonder if 3,600 might not be a low number.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

In Minnesota they did a survey and approx 36% of breweries said they'd be out of business in 3 months and another 40% would be out of business another 3 months after that if nothing changes.

However MN has an archaic law where breweries can't sell 4/6 packs out of the taproom which is def gonna speed up the process. They're trying to change that but...we'll see.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Beer during COVID has been awesome - local releases with curbside pick-up and even delivery. Now you can even order directly only from places like Side Project and Hill Farmstead - earlier today I scored a Framboise du Fermier b3 :whatup:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lots of good deals happening yeah. Restaurant selling wholesale, bars giving out pre-made pitchers of cocktails, PBR still being sold buy the 100s, and local delivery to your doorstep!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Beyond the convenience of a bunch of beer showing up to my door with minimal effort, if they need to raise the prices on the beer or delivery to cover the bills... okay? Go ahead and do it, I get that times are tough, and I'd rather pay more for my beer than have a brewery I like go out of business.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Control Volume posted:

gently caress you!! eat a gently caress!!! [even more enviously] go gently caress yourself!!!

I agree

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/dovetailbrewery/status/1260581714415554560

Of course they announce this the day AFTER they did delivery to my neighborhood...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mmmm bohemian pilsner...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Omg so loving good, on my third:

It's gone up to £3.50 in Tesco but I don't care, I could drink this all daaaaaaaaaaay

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Got a Cellarmaker delivery and Mo' Strata might be the best west coast IPA I've had in years

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The Lady and I are polishing off the Dark Rye from Ardent and well, it’s pretty drat good!

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

MunchE posted:

Got a Cellarmaker delivery and Mo' Strata might be the best west coast IPA I've had in years

such a great beer. I'm really jealous of all the breweries with owners smart enough to contract strata.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

is your mobile canning guy even a true professional if he doesn't crack open a can from whatever brewery he was at yesterday at 9 am?

whatever helps you set up dude

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’ve been at my new job for 3 months now and just found out we distribute Une Annee. What a happy surprise.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

such a great beer. I'm really jealous of all the breweries with owners smart enough to contract strata.

I was floored by my first Strata hopped beer (it was a single hop, wet hop, from some place in Portland). That poo poo is legit.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's gone up to £3.50 in Tesco but I don't care, I could drink this all daaaaaaaaaaay

Now thats a hazy haze if ive ever seen one. Id love to try some U.K beers one day. Ya know? Like a dobson.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Now thats a hazy haze if ive ever seen one. Id love to try some U.K beers one day. Ya know? Like a dobson.

The best thing about it is it's so fruity and smooth you can barely taste the alcohol. It's dangerously drinkable.

Salt are a fairly new brewery, less than 2 years old I believe. We've got lots of microbreweries in the UK now putting out some fantastic stuff, Vocation, Northern and Magic Rock are all up there too.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

Apparently they had the pricing hosed when it was released. At quid a can for a DIPA the supermarket were definitely losing money. Still absurd value!

I took delivery from a local pub just now, thats shifting two hundred cases a week at the moment! Can't go wrong with a 700 year old German brewer as beers go either.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

The best thing about it is it's so fruity and smooth you can barely taste the alcohol. It's dangerously drinkable.

Salt are a fairly new brewery, less than 2 years old I believe. We've got lots of microbreweries in the UK now putting out some fantastic stuff, Vocation, Northern and Magic Rock are all up there too.

Deya, Cloudwater, Verdant are probably the top hazy boys. The standard in general has gone really high the last few years here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I've made four delivery orders from de Garde so far but I'm most excited about this one, just a sucker for their saisons.