Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

what is it with the guardian constantly publishing op eds about how any day now boris or arlene or whoever will have a come to jesus moment and against all the odds transform into enlightened liberals

They're incredibly pathetic bootlickers, OP.

They wish to lick his booths 72 times each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

The Deleter posted:

They're incredibly pathetic bootlickers, OP.

They wish to lick his booths 72 times each.

some of the columnists have done good stuff like aditya but yeah rafael behr et al just want a good feudal lord to serve dont theg

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The Deleter posted:

This loving poo poo is why we'll never have a revolution or any form of uprising in this country. We're conditioned to see asking questions and holding our feudal lords to account as rude and insensitive.

True but my counterpoint is that I loving hate bumper stickers in the US.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
people keep coming right up to me to speak

one guy said "oh it's just been us lot here for 6 weeks so we'd have had symptoms by now of we had it", which loving what

they're still going home to their families every night, going to the shops, going wherever

also this guy specifically has been to customer sites and been in contact with people who are regularly going to them

there's no way I can avoid touching surfaces that other people have touched

I can't even wash my hands without touching surfaces that other people have touched

some of these people are so dopey and immature I wouldn't be surprised if they're still seeing they're friends

we are so hosed generally and I specifically am getting fairly stressed out by it and no one else seems bothered

genuinely considering handing my notice in because I wanted to quit this loving job for the last two years anyway and I've got plenty of savings, but we're also headed for a massive loving recession

e: also I've got really awful skin at the best of times and the constant handwashing is not helping

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

If your workplace has any meeting rooms could you book one out and set up your office in there? One of my friends built a bunker out of cubicle dividers in a lesser used part of the building

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Are there any good resources that look at Starmer's role in Rochdale / Saville etc? I came across some footage of him describing the rochdale victims as drunken and unreliable, surprised it didn't come up more in the leadership contest.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

e: also I've got really awful skin at the best of times and the constant handwashing is not helping

Same. I checked it out and this tip helped me: It's the soap that does the job, you don't need very hot water. Use a liquid soap and rub that in for 20s and then rinse off.
I find the Norwegian Formula handcream (unscented) helps too.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Same. I checked it out and this tip helped me: It's the soap that does the job, you don't need very hot water. Use a liquid soap and rub that in for 20s and then rinse off.

yeah lukewarm is ideal I've heard. we have moisturizer by the sinks in some NHS locations too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Proper carbolic soap may help you or may make it worse, it's strange like that. Coal tar has been used as a treatment for bad skin since forever, but it can be irritating for some people.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Those carex moisturised lotion bottles are 80p at the moment. I just bought a load of them yesterday.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mugsbaloney posted:

Are there any good resources that look at Starmer's role in Rochdale / Saville etc? I came across some footage of him describing the rochdale victims as drunken and unreliable, surprised it didn't come up more in the leadership contest.

Are you Nadine Dorries?

https://twitter.com/MartineFrost1/status/1260856720206823425

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

CancerCakes posted:

If your workplace has any meeting rooms could you book one out and set up your office in there? One of my friends built a bunker out of cubicle dividers in a lesser used part of the building

aha the only reason I came in was to do some testing that needs to be done in the lab and there's a pc down here I can use to TeamViewer into mine so there's no loving way I'm going back in the office, but they're all still in the building touching doors and stuff

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

the hot water is set to a billion degrees for some reason (legionella?) and there's no mixer tap so it's either that or ice cold

I've got some diprobase at home but it's in a massive bottle, might try and get more portable hand cream but quite often if my hands are already chapped it just stings really badly when I put it on

Guavanaut posted:

Proper carbolic soap may help you or may make it worse, it's strange like that. Coal tar has been used as a treatment for bad skin since forever, but it can be irritating for some people.

I've got about 500 g of phenol in the cupboard, reckon that'll do a similar job?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1260877545521778688?s=19

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

It's amazing how without it being explicitly demanded by anyone, the idea seems to have diffused nationwide that clapclap time is when we pretend to momentarily feel general good sentiment towards groups of people in the abstract but don't you dare ask any questions relating to reality or practicalities - that's rude :mad:. It reminds me now of the insanity around Christmas where people typically will generally recognise it as having something to do with good will but spend the occasion being petty over gifts, hoarding food they don't need and generally making themselves miserable and stressed to the point of emotional meltdown. But of course if you point this out and choose not to participate in any of it you're a miserable scrooge, and very, very rude :mad:

British perfomative decorum. I was thinking about this once when out for a meal with people including my (extremely stereotypical American) boss' boss. A British person can pack far more rudeness into a sentence peppered with pleases and thank yous than this guy saying "hey could I get another beer?", but the latter would be judged rude for not having the ~~magic words~~.

Wait, is British politeness like Freemen on the land?

XMNN posted:

the hot water is set to a billion degrees for some reason (legionella?) and there's no mixer tap so it's either that or ice cold

You need the British Mixer Tap

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 14, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Caulfield blocked someone for pointing it out and has now deleted her account altogether.

https://twitter.com/shahmiruk/status/1260873514590011396

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bobstar posted:

British perfomative decorum. I was thinking about this once when out for a meal with people including my (extremely stereotypical American) boss' boss. A British person can pack far more rudeness into a sentence peppered with pleases and thank yous than this guy saying "hey could I get another beer?", but the latter would be judged rude for not having the ~~magic words~~.

Wait, is British politeness like Freemen on the land?

There is a weird distinction though. Americans use lots of "sir" and "maam" and "have a nice day" *fake smile*. I find that pretty off putting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PSg0sQyfs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

I've got about 500 g of phenol in the cupboard, reckon that'll do a similar job?
Maybe if you mixed it as a 0.8-1% mass fraction in liquid soap.

You'd also need some red food dye, because it's not real carbolic soap unless it's pink :v:

The coal tar that the chemist prescribes for bad skin is also about 1% phenol, so it'd be interesting how it'd act mixed into zerobase, which is the other 99% of pharmacy 'coal tar' cream.

Jippa posted:

There is a weird distinction though. Americans use lots of "sir" and "maam" and "have a nice day" *fake smile*. I find that pretty off putting.
Brits seem to think that Americans are being fake polite when they're being formal, Americans seem to think that Brits are being genuinely polite when they're being tetchy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guavanaut posted:

Brits seem to think that Americans are being fake polite when they're being formal, Americans seem to think that Brits are being genuinely polite when they're being tetchy.

Pretty sure that's been a comedy staple for like a century.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The person who posted the video retweeted by those tories has also deleted their account.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If people had to fix their own car and slaughter their own pig, they'd probably drive less and eat less meat, which would be good things.

loving lmao that doing the housework, which is one of the most automated tasks that modern humans do short of googling a cleaner or tweeting about how hard housework is, is somehow some sort of primativism.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure that's been a comedy staple for like a century.
I still hear British people complaining about how 'fake polite Americans are' due to misunderstanding (or differences in bullshit corporate cultures) today though, so it's one with a basis in something.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jippa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PSg0sQyfs

Oh yeah, any time I hear "sir" in the US I assume the person's being sarcastic.

Or about to shoot me, I guess

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So my local council has sent me a letter asking for an electrical inspection of our council house (during these times and my mum under lockdown as a vulnerable person) and their phone number just goes to a local gas firm and constantly on hold. What are the consequences of ignoring this? I really don't want them in the house. Just want some advice.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

Brits seem to think that Americans are being fake polite when they're being formal

There's some of that of course (I have only very rarely been addressed as ma'am and it took effort not to develop an instant loathing), but Americans obviously do use formal terms in a sarcastic way too. There was that tedious Olbermann speech addressed to Bush (? I think) that kept saying 'You, sir'. And now my niece says 'sir' a lot when arguing with men and I have to bite my tongue. Thank goodness 'ma'am' is just too embarrassing for her to say.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

I don't think it enters these people's minds that cleaners also have a home they return to after work and clean themselves. Doing cleaning is not itself labour, but hiring a cleaner makes it so.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Sadly this kind of video is going to compromise Labour's chance at power next time much more than any of the policy positions (re: soft-left compromises) we come to.

"Jez is in the 'RA", "Jez laid a wreath for dead terrorists" style videos like this from sockpuppet conservative accounts bubbled away on local facebook groups and fatally kneecapped Labour amongst the enormous semi-apolitical population who use Facebook. It came up on the doorstep all the time and Labour activists had no clue or plan for dealing with it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

CoolCab posted:

eh labour is literally 20 points down. of course they're falling over themselves to keep this situation going for partisan reasons.

pmqs are for the journo jetset, everyone knows they prefer starmer. they'll keep performatively bigging him up so long as there is 0 chance of it impacting anything. I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll put 20p on Keir losing the next election and the 'hard left' of the party being blamed (Bloody Corbyn!)

XMNN posted:

Get a bowl, mix the water together and wash your hands in that perhaps? I'm always a bit nervous around those boiling water taps with a toggle on the top as I always get splashed or start panicking when a vessel suddenly fills and boiling water is splashing everywhere whilst both my hands are full.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gravastars posted:

I don't think it enters these people's minds that cleaners also have a home they return to after work and clean themselves.

Don't be silly, their cleaner does that.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can't find any confirmation of this beyond this random account but I will be sad if it's true

https://twitter.com/TVZone_/status/1260857383653462021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hard to see how the logic that got BBC3 canned in favour of keeping BBC4 would have done a complete 180.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

He was crown prosecutor for the evil pedo empire, I wonder what genuinely evil poo poo he's up to. That's gotta be worse than home sec

Wait... Oh god... Kier is our Theresa May

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I used to have terrible eczema as a kid. I remember being about 5/6 yo and about 2 hours after going to bed having scratched my legs raw and my pjs soaked in blood coming downstairs and mum or dad smearing heavy black coal tar cream all over my legs.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I must be the only person that watches bbc4. :( I hope most of their shows get moved to bbc2 or something.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

aha the only reason I came in was to do some testing that needs to be done in the lab and there's a pc down here I can use to TeamViewer into mine so there's no loving way I'm going back in the office, but they're all still in the building touching doors and stuff

I've got some diprobase at home but it's in a massive bottle, might try and get more portable hand cream but quite often if my hands are already chapped it just stings really badly when I put it on

Cold water is just as good. You might find ice cold better! (or not). Or if your basins have plugs, mix up some lukewarm to rinse off your hands.

There's various research on the topic, but here's just one link:

https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/cold-water-just-as-good-as-hot-for-handwashing/

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jippa posted:

I must be the only person that watches bbc4.

It's the only channel I watch :(

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Samael posted:

So my local council has sent me a letter asking for an electrical inspection of our council house (during these times and my mum under lockdown as a vulnerable person) and their phone number just goes to a local gas firm and constantly on hold. What are the consequences of ignoring this? I really don't want them in the house. Just want some advice.

they might insist on it as the law is due to change in July (?) regarding the obligations of the landlord regarding electrical safety. The changes have been drafted hastily and theres a lot likely to be amended but the gist of it as written is that any tenancies renewed after July will require a set of test certificates for the property. It also says that a competent spark will no longer be able to declare older installs as safe - everything will have to comply to the newest 18th edition regulations which would require a huge amount of rented properties all over the country to be rewired. This will certainly be changed but I imagine councils are issuing letters to cover themselves in line with current guidance.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Gravastars posted:

I don't think it enters these people's minds that cleaners also have a home they return to after work and clean themselves. Doing cleaning is not itself labour, but hiring a cleaner makes it so.

Cleaning (and childcare and cooking etc.) is ALWAYS labour and the fact that we ignore that when it's predominantly done by women is a bit telling. Both those things are done by women more often then men. It's just that as a society we've agreed that it's labour that doesn't need compensation if you're doing it within your own household, and the rich get away with not doing it because they're rich. If one spouse works 40 hours a week at some random company and the other works 40 hours a week raising kids, cleaning, cooking, etc. they are doing equivalent amounts of work.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

it's really good as a foreigner, actually - you can vary how formal you're being to performatively signal various class signifiers. nothing makes the spines of the middle class straighten quite like an "oh I'm dreadfully sorry" and nothing leaves them seething (and out of the way) like being rude.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Miftan posted:

Cleaning (and childcare and cooking etc.) is ALWAYS labour and the fact that we ignore that when it's predominantly done by women is a bit telling. Both those things are done by women more often then men. It's just that as a society we've agreed that it's labour that doesn't need compensation if you're doing it within your own household, and the rich get away with not doing it because they're rich. If one spouse works 40 hours a week at some random company and the other works 40 hours a week raising kids, cleaning, cooking, etc. they are doing equivalent amounts of work.

It's loving telling though that the TERF answer to "cleaning is labour predominantly done by women for no wages regardless of if they are working full time" isn't "fairly distribute the household's cleaning duties amongst everyone" but "hire a poorer woman to do it for you". If your idea of feminism is content to throw minorities under the bus, and dispose of class concerns it's no surprise it also can't deal with the concept of trans people, and it's no wonder that more and more people see straight through it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

josh04 posted:

Hard to see how the logic that got BBC3 canned in favour of keeping BBC4 would have done a complete 180.

BBC3 has become a pretty strong brand since moving entirely to just being a collection on iPlayer, and anything popular BBC4 ever had (which hasn't been much since Only Connect) eventually got brought up to BBC2.

Source of the story is the Telegraph incidentally. Looks like the only reason it hasn't been made official is because the DG wants to gently caress over whoever's taking over from him.

quote:

BBC Four presenters are campaigning to save the channel as the corporation prepares to close it as a cost-saving measure.

Executives have privately conceded that this year will be the last to feature BBC Four as a broadcast channel. Some of its budget will be reassigned to BBC Three, now the focus of the BBC’s efforts to attract 16-34-year-olds.

BBC Four has an average viewer age of 62. It has a content budget of £44 million, but accounts for less than two per cent of the nation’s viewing.

The Covid-19 crisis has left a £125 million hole in the BBC’s finances. Licence fee income is down as enforcement has been suspended, and payments from the over-75s were due to begin on June 1 but have been postponed. Income from BBC Studios has also taken a hit.

Officially, the BBC has denied that the channel will close. But sources suggested that Lord Hall of Birkenhead, the outgoing director-general, wishes the announcement to be made by his successor because he does not want the cancellation of the corporation’s most highbrow channel to be part of his legacy.

The channel’s controller, Cassian Harrison, announced earlier this month that he was moving on. The controller of BBC Two, Patrick Holland, will “cover” for Harrison but a source said: “Patrick is not known for having an interest in the arts.”

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

:hai:
That's why the "remember when a household could get by with a single income" is such bullshit, because it really means "remember when domestic chores took up so much of the day that we created an unpaid gendered class of workers to do it" and it's telling that so few of the anti-automation lot are smashing their automatic washing machines and cordless vacuum cleaners.

Isomermaid posted:

It's loving telling though that the TERF answer to "cleaning is labour predominantly done by women for no wages regardless of if they are working full time" isn't "fairly distribute the household's cleaning duties amongst everyone" but "hire a poorer woman to do it for you". If your idea of feminism is content to throw minorities under the bus, and dispose of class concerns it's no surprise it also can't deal with the concept of trans people, and it's no wonder that more and more people see straight through it.
This is also why they're usually SWERFs. I'm convinced that they've just taken on board the 50s "sex is what good wives do for free, prostitutes are dirty people we don't discuss" standard and smooshed it through a 70s women's lib shaped hole, and the mask is fully dropping when the same people saying "150% of sex workers are trafficked and forced to not use protection" are now saying "it's ridiculous that my undocumented Filipina housemaid can't get the bus to work during a pandemic."