Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

yea ok posted:

the most recent restoration with the added footage that looks like poo poo and the intertitles that replace the totally missing footage. 147 minute thing or something

Nice... well not the footage looking like poo poo, but I'm glad those parts of the movie aren't missing forever.

I think the latest version I've seen is the 2001 version which is a little over two hours long, I need to watch the latest restoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hey jru, could you maybe hit me with your best comedy sixer? Thanks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If you're having a rough day - I hope this helps

https://twitter.com/NaturelsLit/status/1260758487748866049

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

True freedom :911:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I really disliked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I don’t really understand the praise of it but I guess I’m glad it’s for somebody. please don’t hit me with that “well you need to know the history” bs I will fight you; also I knew the history well

I like Only God Forgives a lot for how bad I basically think it is, but I have a lot of patience for Refn stuff for some reason which is a bit out of character for me. He plots very slowly but he does plot and it always looks real nice. The themes he works with always hit home with me. I haven’t finished Too Old to Die Young though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shard posted:

If you're having a rough day - I hope this helps

https://twitter.com/NaturelsLit/status/1260758487748866049

I like this and want to make my own but can't find the video that shows how to sew the camera to the eagle.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I like this and want to make my own but can't find the video that shows how to sew the camera to the eagle.

You can’t sew a camera to an eagle, jeez.

The feathers get in the way. And it’s too cold up in the atmosphere for glue. You’ve got to just weld the thing straight on their spine.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

naw, see, you just need to rig up a harness

and ofc a saddle for the tiny camera operator, but you can make that all one piece if you’re clever

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

no way, you feed it weird poo poo until it grows a camera mount. Its 2020 dude, we're viral.

Anyway, I got top 15 in Warzone with the entire map trying to kill me. That was great. Turns out driving around honking the horn just makes people want to kill you more, who knew.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

I really disliked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I don’t really understand the praise of it but I guess I’m glad it’s for somebody. please don’t hit me with that “well you need to know the history” bs I will fight you; also I knew the history well

It's totally okay if you didn't like it, and it has nothing to do with knowing the history or not! I really enjoyed the film, but that doesn't automatically make it objectively good.

In any case, regardless of how much I liked the film I am so, so, so glad that Parasite beat it to win Best Movie at the Oscars :hellyeah:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SatansOnion posted:

naw, see, you just need to rig up a harness

and ofc a saddle for the tiny camera operator, but you can make that all one piece if you’re clever

I captured the camera operator by stealing his pot of gold but can't get him to sit still long enough to measure him for the stirrups!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jerusalem posted:

It's totally okay if you didn't like it, and it has nothing to do with knowing the history or not! I really enjoyed the film, but that doesn't automatically make it objectively good.

In any case, regardless of how much I liked the film I am so, so, so glad that Parasite beat it to win Best Movie at the Oscars :hellyeah:

I enjoyed the movie, but it could have had ten minutes trimmed off easily and lost nothing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

I enjoyed the movie, but it could have had ten minutes trimmed off easily and lost nothing.

Ironically, I would have preferred another 10 minutes or so for the section about Rick's Spaghetti Western career so they didn't have to suddenly bring in Kurt Russell to do double-duty as a narrator for the first and only time in the film.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry, yes, I was not trying to call you out. I’m glad you had a thing you enjoyed! You deserve enjoyable things.

Every so often I’ll slide into a CineD thread and every person who was like “eh I didn’t like this” got bumrushed by faux-history buffs. I’m doing the thing where I’m developing defense mechanisms because of things that have nothing to do with anyone! I am becoming and you are all witnesses.

I think my favorite film from last year was Knives Out. I liked other movies a lot and they may have even been better, but Knives Out is the only one that won’t make me anxious to rewatch.

Hey friends, also, good movie talk: I rewatched L.A. Confidential and that is some extremely good movie watchin’.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, LA Confidential absolutely rules. Haven't watched it in ages, need to remedy that.

God, Knives Out was so loving good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Greetings, people of the Earth, we have observed your civilization for a long time and have decided to impart upon you knowledge from beyond the stars. We hope this wisdom will help you avoid the miserable fate of countless other races we have seen destroy themselves.

Here is the knowledge, use it well:

Thawing squid big smelly

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, LA Confidential absolutely rules. Haven't watched it in ages, need to remedy that.

God, Knives Out was so loving good.

We just watched Knives Out and it does indeed rule

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i was intensely bored by only god forgives (and a joke with pals was to call it only god forgets because none of us could remember the plot) but the moment he said "wanna fight?" and it smash cut to that scene i laughed so hard i got sick and the movie went from purely boring to dumb and schlocky. it looks nice but its not very good as an actual story. neon demon ruled though. fan of refn.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
how about a movie called 'only dog forgives' and its about a cool dog

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Paper Lion posted:

i was intensely bored by only god forgives (and a joke with pals was to call it only god forgets because none of us could remember the plot) but the moment he said "wanna fight?" and it smash cut to that scene i laughed so hard i got sick and the movie went from purely boring to dumb and schlocky. it looks nice but its not very good as an actual story. neon demon ruled though. fan of refn.

I don't remember anything about it either except it being vaguely pretty and retrowave-y...but I'm pretty sure I remember this scene. They're at a party, Gosling's like wanna fight? And then they go to the fight and he gets his rear end kicked super hard

It's like the one thing I remember from the movie, except it being vaguely edgy and dark

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Paper Lion posted:

Valhalla Rising is very good and hosed up.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
You guys sitting here talking about great movies and I had to watch Silent Hill last night for my wife's birthday...

...which turned out to be not as bad as I remembered. The script actually made logical sense for a supernatural ghost story, it was well-shot and directed, and they lifted the sound effects and music directly from the first game.

It's frustrating though that my wife thinks a movie like Silent Hill is creepier and more off-putting than Get Out or Us. Fifteen+ years of friendship and six+ years of marriage and I still haven't come to grips with the fact that our taste in horror movies will always be vastly different.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

CobiWann posted:

You guys sitting here talking about great movies and I had to watch Silent Hill last night for my wife's birthday...

...which turned out to be not as bad as I remembered. The script actually made logical sense for a supernatural ghost story, it was well-shot and directed, and they lifted the sound effects and music directly from the first game.

It's frustrating though that my wife thinks a movie like Silent Hill is creepier and more off-putting than Get Out or Us. Fifteen+ years of friendship and six+ years of marriage and I still haven't come to grips with the fact that our taste in horror movies will always be vastly different.
The first 30 minutes or so of Silent Hill are really good and faithful to the games (even though Christophe Gans chose to replace Harry Mason as the main character for some reason), but eventually the film just goes completely off the rails with a bunch of idiot cultists running around, the adventures of Sean Bean and Officer Gucci in the real world, pointless exposition, Pyramid Head showing up for no reason, and whatever the gently caress that big stupid climax with the barbed wire tentacle CGI splatterfest was supposed to be.

A friend of mine who hasn't played the games actually thought Silent Hill was a schlocky splatter franchise after seeing the movie.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This is a perfect excuse for me to rewatch silent hill because I thought it was pretty well done?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CobiWann posted:

People are scared of what they're scared of and not much in horror is objectively scary to everyone. I watch a LOT of horror but the two scariest movies in the world to me are We Need To Talk About Kevin and Still Alice because they pick at things in my life that are deeply terrifying. That's why every movie is a horror movie.

It's been awhile since I saw Silent Hill but maybe it just has some imagery that taps into something from your wife's past or just into a long standing fear of hers, while Get Out and Us don't, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was ascared of james and the giant peach

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's been awhile since I saw Silent Hill but maybe it just has some imagery that taps into something from your wife's past or just into a long standing fear of hers, while Get Out and Us don't, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

That's a fair point. She is a Mom after all. Losing one's daughter or seeing them hurt would strike a nerve.

Sometimes I hate this thread for opening my eyes. :yaycloud:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I like Silent Hill. It basically takes the story of the Centralia, PA mine disaster and turns it into (more of)a horror story.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cavauro posted:

No shame in that. Giant insects are scary AF.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i love you too, flashy_mcflash

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CobiWann posted:

That's a fair point. She is a Mom after all. Losing one's daughter or seeing them hurt would strike a nerve.

Sometimes I hate this thread for opening my eyes. :yaycloud:

It's a big reason why horror is far and away my favourite kind of film! The reactions it provokes are intensely individual and it's a real joy when you can find one that evokes that in yourself, or you can introduce someone to a movie that gets at them in the same way, especially when it's a fear you didn't even know you had.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I wanted to like Get Out and Us more than I actually did, especially Us.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cavauro posted:

The giant mechanical shark and the rhino terrified me when I was 8.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

We just watched Knives Out and it does indeed rule

My favorite part of mysteries is when the detective is putting it all together. Tim Curry in Clue being the best, but Daniel Craig comes in a respectable second.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Watched a British miniseries from 1978 called Law & Order last night. It's not remotely like the US series we all know or its' UK spinoff (though there is a connection, more on that in a bit), which more often than not takes the side of the cops and prosecutors featured on the show. Instead, it's about how every level of the British justice system is corrupt, from the police to the courts to the prisons. It's shot in an almost documentary style, with absolutely no music that isn't diegetic, and the actors certainly look more like real cops than the polished stars on modern TV. There's even a bit of a Guy Ritchie connection, too, as P.H. Moriarty (Hatchet Harry from Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) and Alan Ford (from Lock Stock and also Brick Top from Snatch) both make appearances in the series. It was apparently unoffically banned in the UK, as after its' initial showing, there was a huge uproar from both the public and members of Parliament, which led to the BBC not showing it again for almost 40 years.

As for its' connection to the US series we are all familiar with: apparently the show's producer was friends with Michael Mann (of Miami Vice fame), and showed it to him, and somehow or other it got mentioned or shown to Dick Wolf, who decided the title (and slightly altered concept, moving away from the "all coppers are bastards" worldview of the original) would be perfect for a US version of the show.

Anyhow, that's a lot of words to say it's a pretty drat good miniseries and I recommend people check it out.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Brits are absolutely obsessed with banning things. It’s entirely non partisan as well, the right and left and everyone in between just have different things they want to see banned.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

The Brits are absolutely obsessed with banning things. It’s entirely non partisan as well, the right and left and everyone in between just have different things they want to see banned.

I remember when I lived over there during the early 1990s, getting heavily into horror films and reading about the phenomenon that was the "video nasties" period of the 1980s. I also remember being shocked when I discovered that it was illegal to screen A Clockwork Orange in theaters over there, which led to the Scala movie theater in London being shut down when they did a screening of it (although that was less of a British government thing and more Stanley Kubrick having taken legal steps through Warner Brothers to ensure it would not be shown anymore in British theaters during his lifetime).

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Kubrick was real good at holding his breath until he passed out when mommy wouldn't let him have chocolate pudding before he finished his vegetables. It was one of his strongest skills, right after psychological abuse and wasting time and money

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

thinkin bout deg

https://twitter.com/DogSolutions/status/1260950266939084800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Death of Stalin is a comedy with lots of really funny moments but for my moment it’s an excellent horror flick.