Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

thebardyspoon posted:

You get that with voice acting a lot though, the lady who voiced Jessie in the remake also voiced a snake lady in the newest Xcom game and had no idea she was a snake lady until the game came out, funnily enough she said that was actually a good thing because knowing the role was a snake lady might have made her play it as your more cliched snake person with the extended sssss's and such which was kind of interesting to me.

I mean, she does have lines about eating people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

I got a gameplay question I can't find the answer to.

In post game, it says things are not saved if you leave a chapter before finishing it. Is this true for Battle Simulator stuff and enemy assessments? I'd like to beat the fights available, and then leave Ch17 - but do I have to complete it to save my progress?

I think it just refers to story choices and things that are set up for later chapters (like the requirements for Aerith and Tifa's dresses), but I'm not 100% sure.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Harrow posted:

I think it just refers to story choices and things that are set up for later chapters (like the requirements for Aerith and Tifa's dresses), but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks! Good enough for me, gonna risk it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I always thought he pulled the trigger with his other hand, you notice how he grasps his arms together every time he fires

It is a gattling gun so I always assumed it was a stability thing, since his movement slows to a crawl as well.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Harrow posted:

Something that doesn't come across in the original English translation of FFVII is that Barret didn't actually need to have his arm amputated. He lost some of the use of his right hand, but it was still intact. He chose to have it amputated and replaced with a gun. The original English translation says that he threw away his prosthetic arm to have a gun grafted on, but in the original Japanese, it doesn't say "prosthetic."

It's metal as gently caress, is what I'm saying, and really drives home how revenge-driven Barret is.

This actually makes a ton of sense. I was always confused by the idea that Dyne had "the same surgery", as if the bullet spray somehow gave them like inverse symmetrical injuries. A couple of bros both being metal is much more plausible.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dubar posted:

This actually makes a ton of sense. I was always confused by the idea that Dyne had "the same surgery", as if the bullet spray somehow gave them like inverse symmetrical injuries. A couple of bros both being metal is much more plausible.

I mean, that IS what happened. The original game shows Dyne falling off a cliff, Barret catches him, and then they both get shot through the hand where they're holding on to each other.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Barret caught Dyne's left hand with his right hand, then Scarlet deliberately aimed at them with a machine gun.

Even if they still had their hands/forearms attached after that, they probably wouldn't be much good, so why not get a gun grafted on instead.

My only question, Barret went for the Gatling gun, Dyne had more of a laser cannon thing. Which guy went for the more expensive model of revenge prosthesis?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My question is who is the doctor that gives sick revenge prosthesis? That sounds like a doctor that would get along well with Hojo

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hojo would probably have grafted a vibrator or something in the name of science though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

anakha posted:

Hojo would probably have grafted a vibrator or something in the name of science though.

I think Vincent would be the first to know about that...

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Flopsy posted:

I think Vincent would be the first to know about that...

This is going to replace Chaos as Vincent's final transformation

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

This is going to replace Chaos as Vincent's final transformation

Naw it's probably going to be more like his final weapon. Instead of Cerberus we're going to get THIS:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/130/0/9129451/il_340x270.955126378_jgcj.jpg

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 14, 2020

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Awww man malboro went insane on me, jumped around everywhere and I hosed up and got the whole party bad breathed and killed :(. I kicked the poo poo out of behemoth type zero no problems first try so I’m quite disappointed!

I forgot to bring a cleansing materia that would’ve probably allowed me to win hmm does resist stop all his bs or just give you a chance to resist? I wanna try and grab that enemy skill my next attempt.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 14, 2020

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

karma_coma posted:

Awww man malboro went insane on me, jumped around everywhere and I hosed up and got the whole party bad breathed and killed :(. I kicked the poo poo out of behemoth type zero no problems first try so I’m quite disappointed!

I forgot to bring a cleansing materia that would’ve probably allowed me to win hmm does resist stop all his bs or just give you a chance to resist? I wanna try and grab that enemy skill my next attempt.

Resist utterly trivializes the fight.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Honestly just Esuna trivializes it. If you can beat Behemoth Zero you can beat Malboro.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

lezard_valeth posted:

My question is who is the doctor that gives sick revenge prosthesis? That sounds like a doctor that would get along well with Hojo
Aerith: Guntank Type

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

Since I think he's the only Doctor in the game, the dude in Mideel.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean I wouldn't go that far, Jenova is pretty straightforward "cosmic horror arrives, mankind plays with forces it doesn't understand, people get infected, go insane"

Replace Jenova with Kingdom Hearts, mankind with keyblade wielders, and forces it doesn’t understand with “hearts”

Kingdom Hearts is child-friendly cosmic horror. Xehanort’s megalomania is at least more we’ll-founded than Seriphorth.

Ad now I just realized Xehanort would despise Hojo. Which is ironic to say the least.

Logical1234 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 14, 2020

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Logical1234 posted:

Ad now I just realized Xehanort would despise Hojo. Which is ironic to say the least.

Xehanort would disagree with the use of human experimentation instead of conceptual darkness but would absolutely hear Hojo out the moment he mentions searching for immortality via vessel transfer. That is right up Hojo's alley, and he'd have a lot to say.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

lezard_valeth posted:

If you go into the EU stuff, he found an artisan

quote:

Old Man Sakaki is a character in the On the Way to a Smile novella "Episode: Barret". According to Barret Wallace, Sakaki designed several prosthetic arms for Barret after the destruction of Corel, including a hammer-arm, shovel-arm, and hook-arm, but these failed to satisfy him. Sakaki eventually gave Barret an adapter that could attach multiple prosthetics — or weapons — and told Barret that he was consumed with thoughts of revenge against Shinra, and so no attachment Sakaki could devise would please him.

Years later, Barret returned to Sakaki and requested a prosthetic hand so he could live a normal life. Sakaki tells Barret it will take a week, and has him work helping his nephew in the meantime. When Barret returns, Sakaki presents him with a wooden prosthetic, but Barret tells him he still has fighting to do. Sakaki then reveals a steel hand for Barret, which he designed for him years ago, which Barret takes.

Give us the goddamn hammer arm!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Takoluka posted:

Xehanort would disagree with the use of human experimentation instead of conceptual darkness but would absolutely hear Hojo out the moment he mentions searching for immortality via vessel transfer. That is right up Hojo's alley, and he'd have a lot to say.

Hell, Xehanort would probably try to hijack Jenova himself.

As many clones as he wants, and no convoluted plans to get them. Just shove some Jenova cells in and he's good to go.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Wasn't Xenahort's whole thing of "aw sweetie your emotions aren't real, you're just pretending to have those" so he could use them as emotionless vessels basically what Sephiroth was trying to do with Cloud?

I'm still not...clear if Sephiroth was knowingly lying about that or if he genuinely thought that was the case, but still.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He could have been projecting. Sephiroth in Crisis Core (prior to going crazy) came across like a guy who had only the most basic idea of how a human was supposed to act. Not even in the sense of being a jerk, so much as "How do you do, fellow sapiens"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"Oh, yeah, Genesis and Angeal have a hometown and parents? C-Cool. Cool cool cool cool cool." :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LadyPictureShow posted:

If you go into the EU stuff, he found an artisan

Give us the goddamn hammer arm!

Freak everyone out by giving him a cybernetic regular arm and a big shotgun in the next game

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Man, listening to the OG soundtrack (partially because YouTube's been taking down uploads of the remake soundtrack), and I'm really sad that we didn't have more Anxious Hearts representation in the remake. That's straight-up the best song.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

precision posted:

Freak everyone out by giving him a cybernetic regular arm and a big shotgun in the next game

Tweak it a little and turn concept art Barret into a reality!

E:
Concept art toad Barret looks rad as gently caress

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 14, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beefstew posted:

Man, listening to the OG soundtrack (partially because YouTube's been taking down uploads of the remake soundtrack), and I'm really sad that we didn't have more Anxious Hearts representation in the remake. That's straight-up the best song.

I was wondering why I couldn’t find stuff anymore. The actual ost is out soon at least

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I would replay Chapter 2 just for the battle theme remix that plays between fights. Does it have its own track on the OST?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

karma_coma posted:

The other trick with Bad Breath is that you can stick close to him and just run in circles around him and he'll completely miss - he tracks you for a little bit during the wind-up but when actual attack animation starts he becomes immobile, so you can just run to his back and start whacking him while staying completely out of the attack's cone of effect.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Captain Lavender posted:

I got a gameplay question I can't find the answer to.

In post game, it says things are not saved if you leave a chapter before finishing it. Is this true for Battle Simulator stuff and enemy assessments? I'd like to beat the fights available, and then leave Ch17 - but do I have to complete it to save my progress?

Harrow posted:

Hey thank you, yeah it worked everything saved. But I forgot to take enemy skill into the Marlboro fight :(.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

He could have been projecting. Sephiroth in Crisis Core (prior to going crazy) came across like a guy who had only the most basic idea of how a human was supposed to act. Not even in the sense of being a jerk, so much as "How do you do, fellow sapiens"

I will say the more it's fleshed out the more Sephiroth's backstory reminds me of The Truman Show if it went in the darkest possible direction. And the Truman Show was already deeply loving unsettling.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

I will say the more it's fleshed out the more Sephiroth's backstory reminds me of The Truman Show if it went in the darkest possible direction. And the Truman Show was already deeply loving unsettling.

I think the one thing from Crisis Core that sealed that idea for me (aside from the Fan Club emails) was him being told that he wasn't a viable tissue donor for Genesis before he could ask. Like, Jesus Christ!!! At least make something kind of believable up!!!

CC did a pretty good job of showcasing how a lovely corporation would actually control a living weapon, and that's by making them think they have freedom of choice when most of that is ineffectual while making them completely dependent on the corporation. I kinda get annoyed when similar storylines overtly abuse and dehumanize the living weapon character because that's bound to go poorly, but Shinra understands that Sephiroth is an asset, so they provide for his every need while denying other needs that would have to be met outside of them (family, friends outside work, etc).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BaDandy posted:

CC did a pretty good job of showcasing how a lovely corporation would actually control a living weapon, and that's by making them think they have freedom of choice when most of that is ineffectual while making them completely dependent on the corporation.

That's just the normal times we live in now.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Reminds me of the superheroes in The Boys show on Amazon Prime (which is pretty good and worth watching). Superpowered corporate assets that end up totally unhinged because of how isolated from reality they are.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

I think the one thing from Crisis Core that sealed that idea for me (aside from the Fan Club emails) was him being told that he wasn't a viable tissue donor for Genesis before he could ask. Like, Jesus Christ!!! At least make something kind of believable up!!!

CC did a pretty good job of showcasing how a lovely corporation would actually control a living weapon, and that's by making them think they have freedom of choice when most of that is ineffectual while making them completely dependent on the corporation. I kinda get annoyed when similar storylines overtly abuse and dehumanize the living weapon character because that's bound to go poorly, but Shinra understands that Sephiroth is an asset, so they provide for his every need while denying other needs that would have to be met outside of them (family, friends outside work, etc).

Thing is though, he's surrounded by people who actually have those things and is forced by his position to interact with them on the regular. It's inevitably going to occur to him at one point or another something is hosed up with his life. And that culminated in the Shinra Manor basement with him thinking he's flat out not even a real person. And really given his lifestyle who can blame him for coming to that conclusion? Not even touching the fact his own loving father creepily stalks him and either goes through his trash or watches him via secret cameras in the bathroom. His whole life is one big build up to him losing his marbles in the worst possible way.

George Newbern was an inspired choice for a voice actor because if you think about it Sephiroth is like the reverse superman. Deprived of everything that kept Clark Kent down to earth while simultaneously being isolated and idolized.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Hell, Xehanort would probably try to hijack Jenova himself.

As many clones as he wants, and no convoluted plans to get them. Just shove some Jenova cells in and he's good to go.

Jenova cells merging with Kingdom Hearts....

Man, that can’t be good for anyone.

But yeah, my main point is that FF7 honestly was already very similar to Kingdom Hearts brand of crazy even before the remake.

Hell before KH3 you could argue that the BBS trio and Sea Salt trio (plus Namine) fell under that type of meaningless death/loss that Aerith embodied

Cloud is simply pulling a Sora early in the story.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

That's just the normal times we live in now.

Makes you think!! :thunk:

Flopsy posted:

Thing is though, he's surrounded by people who actually have those things and is forced by his position to interact with them on the regular. It's inevitably going to occur to him at one point or another something is hosed up with his life.

Yeah, like it's still very much a mistake on their part, but I can roll with that because it feels like a more believable oversight. Like they just assumed he wouldn't ask any questions? It's stupid but it's a very specific corporate flavor of stupid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Schwartzcough posted:

Reminds me of the superheroes in The Boys show on Amazon Prime (which is pretty good and worth watching). Superpowered corporate assets that end up totally unhinged because of how isolated from reality they are.

Now I'm sad they didn't add a Homelander style "hero" that Shinra has propped up and that you have to kick the rear end of while exchanging quips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Thing is though, he's surrounded by people who actually have those things and is forced by his position to interact with them on the regular. It's inevitably going to occur to him at one point or another something is hosed up with his life. And that culminated in the Shinra Manor basement with him thinking he's flat out not even a real person. And really given his lifestyle who can blame him for coming to that conclusion? Not even touching the fact his own loving father creepily stalks him and either goes through his trash or watches him via secret cameras in the bathroom. His whole life is one big build up to him losing his marbles in the worst possible way.

George Newbern was an inspired choice for a voice actor because if you think about it Sephiroth is like the reverse superman. Deprived of everything that kept Clark Kent down to earth while simultaneously being isolated and idolized.

And this can also explain why Sephiroth refuses to be a memory. You can very much argue that from Sephiroth’s perspective, the first choice he ever made as a ‘real’ person was to destroy humanity and become a god for the sake of the planet. By the time he learns Jenova’s true nature, it doesnt matter, because at this point Sephiroth is done second guessing himself. He made his choice to gown down this path, his first choice he made as somebody real. This is the person he is.

Which of course would explain why the guy just won’t let it go. He finally was becoming his own person. And the world punished him for it. So regardless of the ReMakes method, I can totally see him attempting a do over.

Of course, that excuses none of his actions or atrocities. He’s pitiful in that regard. But he is fascinating as a villain.