Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
This is the darkest day since the axing of The Learning Zone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

josh04 posted:

Don't be silly, their cleaner does that.

https://twitter.com/will_corder/status/1260135771215998979

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I like BBC 4 but there is something about it which reminds me of the famous Yes Minister sketch where he explains why they need to keep funding the opera rather than things most people enjoy

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Today at my workplace there is a huge uproar about people having to cut their nails. Like people threatening to go take legal action if they make them cut their nails.

Honestly absolutely done, we've been working as normal will no changes during the rona. As normal apparently means more work than we can cope with and a huge amount of overtime meaning our team has to (while doing a normal 9-5) come in for an early morning shift like 3am. I have spent fruitless weeks trying to organise there but it is one of the only workplaces I've ever seen with ZERO solidarity. Every single person is friends with our boss, they work more hours than contracted every day and everyone has broken down in tears due to the massive workload. They also constantly break social distancing and basically moralise their own health when the risk is pointed out, I've had a co-worker claim "I won't get it, I've got a strong immune system because I wasn't coddled as a child".

Any suggestion I make to get together and try and improve things is met with their apathy or them grassing on me to the managers.

BUT CUTTING NAILS IS THE LAST STRAW??

I think I have a stomach ulcer now guys. help.

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 14, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I will break lockdown to get my hair done but do not ask me to trim my nails! :freep:

kecske posted:

they might insist on it as the law is due to change in July (?) regarding the obligations of the landlord regarding electrical safety. The changes have been drafted hastily and theres a lot likely to be amended but the gist of it as written is that any tenancies renewed after July will require a set of test certificates for the property. It also says that a competent spark will no longer be able to declare older installs as safe - everything will have to comply to the newest 18th edition regulations which would require a huge amount of rented properties all over the country to be rewired. This will certainly be changed but I imagine councils are issuing letters to cover themselves in line with current guidance.
Aren't some of the 18th edition regs looser than previous editions to take into account things that :argh: Europe :argh: has known were safe forever but Triumphant Britane steadfastly ignored, like you can have a spur off of a spur as long as the whole thing is correctly fused and rated, or you can have sockets closer to water as long as there's an RCD fitted, and you no longer have to have the main supply be a ring main, but can instead have a German style radial circuit like most developed functioning nations? Also something about things other than lights on lighting circuits, now that everyone who isn't a Daily Mail reading paranoid isn't using a dozen 100W heatglobes on them?

Not disagreeing that a lot of rental properties will fail the 18th edition (or even the 1st edition do not have frayed heater cords in the bathroom), but there's more scope for improvements now.

Also this is my favourite diagram from the regs because it's like a cross between everything my dad said never to do with electricity and a wish dot com tea urn, but is completely legit.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

zentigeist posted:

Today at my workplace there is a huge uproar about people having to cut their nails. Like people threatening to go take legal action if they make them cut their nails.

Honestly absolutely done, we've been working as normal will no changes during the rona. As normal apparently means more work than we can cope with and a huge amount of overtime meaning our team has to (while doing a normal 9-5) come in for an early morning shift like 3am. I have spent fruitless weeks trying to organise there but it is one of the only workplaces I've ever seen with ZERO solidarity. Every single person is friends with our boss, they work more hours than contracted every day and everyone has broken down in tears due to the massive workload. They also constantly break social distancing and basically moralise their own health when the risk is pointed out, I've had a co-worker claim "I won't get it, I've got a strong immune system because I wasn't coddled as a child".

Any suggestion I make to get together and try and improve things is met with their apathy or them grassing on me to the managers.

Not to sound too dismissive, but are you in a position to quit?

Quitting some bullshit job that just winds you up and is constantly thankless and surrounded by co-workers who are either poo poo-stirrers or boot-lickers tends to be a good decision - I've never regretted quitting a job. I had a quick look to see if businesses are still hiring and there seems to be a glut of coronavirus-based work about - plus loads of charities and grant giving bodies will be giving out awards in the next month that should boost some more availability (plus all the temp stuff thats always on)

Or just stop caring, turn up, do the bare minimum, find something else you enjoy outside of work that gives you fulfilment and potentially experience to hop over to another career.

Either way, good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7rPq_0kJ0

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Have a friend in England that may be the first landmark Corvid court case for being fired.
Basically, when the lockdown started he went told his bosses that was going home until it was legally safe again.
He lives with his two parents, both at risk to corvid, and he travels an hour each way on public transport, train mainly.
He's not going to risk them.
But his office never shut down the whole time, they were not essential workers either, the bosses just told everyone to remain.
They stalled paying him for the work owed, didn't pay him for the last month at all, now want him to come in to complete the work that he should have done that has an upcoming deadline.
Thing is, he can work from home, just the office didn't want them to.
Will update if it progresses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guavanaut posted:

:hai:
That's why the "remember when a household could get by with a single income" is such bullshit, because it really means "remember when domestic chores took up so much of the day that we created an unpaid gendered class of workers to do it" and it's telling that so few of the anti-automation lot are smashing their automatic washing machines and cordless vacuum cleaners.

This is also why they're usually SWERFs. I'm convinced that they've just taken on board the 50s "sex is what good wives do for free, prostitutes are dirty people we don't discuss" standard and smooshed it through a 70s women's lib shaped hole, and the mask is fully dropping when the same people saying "150% of sex workers are trafficked and forced to not use protection" are now saying "it's ridiculous that my undocumented Filipina housemaid can't get the bus to work during a pandemic."

It's all just white feminism; aka wealthy white women wanting their turn to own slaves.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

you might call it an astroterf campaign 😏

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Been sent home from work today as someone else in the office went home yesterday with suspected covid and went off to get a test, and I can't come back in until Monday now. I also can't do my actual job either because Airbus's advice was to "stay at home for 72 hours and do not leave the house", so welp

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

zentigeist posted:

That's pretty rough dude. I know it's a luxury option but that place sounds toxic and you should quit if at all possible for your own health!
Another option is to go on autopilot (tbf, you've clearly been trying) and just stop caring but the rona don't mind about that

Deketh fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 14, 2020

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Doesn't look very authoritative imo

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

Also this is my favourite diagram from the regs because it's like a cross between everything my dad said never to do with electricity and a wish dot com tea urn, but is completely legit.

Is that like one of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
my work have posted a little notice declaring us COVID secure loving lmao

they've apparently taken all reasonable steps to ensure that people aren't within 2 m of each other, which apparently doesn't include making the 3 people sat within 2 m of each other in the office move to one of the ~15 vacant desks or one of the side rooms

also taken all steps to reduce transmission which comprises in its entirety, as far as I can tell, propping the door to the office open so people don't have to touch it (but not any of the other doors they would have to touch to get anywhere from the corridor) and telling people to use their own mugs which everyone did any way

I think this pretty much sums up my experience of health and safety in a small company: no one has any idea how to do it properly because it's not their main job, hiring someone to do it costs money, doing anything about problems costs time/money/marginal amounts of effort, and realistically no one has the resources to actually enforce anything anyway so who cares. Just do a "risk assessment" and sign a piece of paper declaring the risks to have been assessed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Propping open doors probably breaking a bunch of fire codes anyway. H&S Paradox

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A nation of shopkeepers, not H&S experts!

sinky posted:

Is that like one of these?
It is, except that to pass regs, it would have to ensure:
  1. there must be no contact with earthed metal,
  2. the heater must be insulated and shielded to prevent the electrodes from being touched,
  3. control must be by means of a single-pole fuse or by a circuit breaker and a double pole switch,
  4. the shell of the heater must be bonded to the cable sheath.
and that meets none of them.

Well, I suppose it meets (1) by not having earth at all :pseudo:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bobstar posted:

You need the British Mixer Tap

Oh god, having lived in Europe for the last 6 years and just moved back (don't laugh) this hits too close. What the gently caress is with there being no mixer taps in this country?

Also having sinks so small that you can only fit one hand bent at an awkward angle in them, as you then sear all the skin off your bones on that hand to wash it, after dragging it around all the grime in the sink first.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mebh posted:

Oh god, having lived in Europe for the last 6 years and just moved back (don't laugh) this hits too close. What the gently caress is with there being no mixer taps in this country?

Also having sinks so small that you can only fit one hand bent at an awkward angle in them, as you then sear all the skin off your bones on that hand to wash it, after dragging it around all the grime in the sink first.

I think it's because hot water tanks used to be not fit for drinking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It used to be because of some poo poo where:
  • Your cold water upstairs may come directly from the mains or may come from a cold water tank in the roof.
  • Your hot water upstairs probably comes from a hot water tank with a gas burner underneath or an immersion heater in it.
  • Some water is considered potable and some isn't.
so if you had all these waters at different pressures and a mixer tap, you could get non-potable water in the potable water just by holding your thumb over the tap.

An old whizz for atoms school lark was to put a length of hose full of liquid dye between the hot and cold taps in the bathroom and turn both on, the cold would force the dye into the hot water tank and all the hot water in the school would be pink or blue or whatever.

Lots of houses have combi boilers and no water tanks now, so that can't happen any more, but tl:dr; it's because British housing bad.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Mebh posted:

I think somebody (possibly Twisto) explained the mixer tap thing at one point, basically comes down to "lol UK is old" as with so many things.

I have reminded my wife a few times that the water in the bathroom tap comes from the same pipes as the kitchen, not some bizarre secret tank, and is therefore safe to drink...

E: people above answered both things better!

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

These answers are all well and good but have a video on it with a younger Tom Scott instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHgUu_8KgA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

I have reminded my wife a few times that the water in the bathroom tap comes from the same pipes as the kitchen, not some bizarre secret tank, and is therefore safe to drink...
My bathroom (mixer :smug:) tap is actually closer to the main than the kitchen tap now, because of 120-odd years of renovations from the starting point of "you get a lead stick with a tap on it in the scullery and you'll like it".

Not sure that either are especially safe to drink though given the age of the underground pipework. Severn Trent have a lead removal program but you have to pay for it yourself and they take half the yard up, so I'm sticking with a filter on the kitchen one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobstar posted:

I think somebody (possibly Twisto) explained the mixer tap thing at one point, basically comes down to "lol UK is old" as with so many things.

E: people above answered both things better!

Bathroom tap water always tastes a bit poo poo though compared to kitchen tap water, in my experience.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Bathroom tap water always tastes a bit poo poo though compared to kitchen tap water, in my experience.

Probably psychological, like drinking cold water from a mug instead of a glass

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

My bathroom (mixer :smug:) tap is actually closer to the main than the kitchen tap now, because of 120-odd years of renovations from the starting point of "you get a lead stick with a tap on it in the scullery and you'll like it".

Not sure that either are especially safe to drink though given the age of the underground pipework. Severn Trent have a lead removal program but you have to pay for it yourself and they take half the yard up, so I'm sticking with a filter on the kitchen one.

The Dutch are strangely proud of their tap water. Like, at least half a dozen people have informed me, unprompted, that we won't need to buy bottled water now that we live here, because they have such delicious tap water.

E: To be clear, not after seeing us buy bottled water (which we don't), or while using a tap. Just out of the blue.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 14, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

Are there any good resources that look at Starmer's role in Rochdale / Saville etc? I came across some footage of him describing the rochdale victims as drunken and unreliable, surprised it didn't come up more in the leadership contest.

Because it's a complete fabrication.

It's an edited together clip from this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyTWU-Hnek

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

The Dutch are strangely proud of their tap water. Like, at least half a dozen people have informed me, unprompted, that we won't need to buy bottled water now that we live here, because they have such delicious tap water.
In Spain otoh you could use some of the tap water to bleach your toilet.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

It used to be because of some poo poo where:
  • Your cold water upstairs may come directly from the mains or may come from a cold water tank in the roof.
  • Your hot water upstairs probably comes from a hot water tank with a gas burner underneath or an immersion heater in it.
  • Some water is considered potable and some isn't.
so if you had all these waters at different pressures and a mixer tap, you could get non-potable water in the potable water just by holding your thumb over the tap.

An old whizz for atoms school lark was to put a length of hose full of liquid dye between the hot and cold taps in the bathroom and turn both on, the cold would force the dye into the hot water tank and all the hot water in the school would be pink or blue or whatever.

Lots of houses have combi boilers and no water tanks now, so that can't happen any more, but tl:dr; it's because British housing bad.

Some of the cold water tanks I saw 25 years ago in NHS staff accommodation.... (I was in the Works Dept)... dead pigeons, rats...

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Aramoro posted:

Because it's a complete fabrication.

It's an edited together clip from this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyTWU-Hnek

does retweeting the edited video with the implication that he's a nonce enabler count as libel?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

dont like this guy normally but have to admit he is correct here

https://twitter.com/thucydiplease/status/1260633164302565376?s=19

like furlough pay in a sense, if it was legalized we could force johns to keep paying them to stay safe

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 14, 2020

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I use a Brita filter, but that's a habit I picked up in Canada tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're very convenient if you can't fit things to your taps where you are, but they're very expensive and the filters don't last long at all compared to a big aquarium filter that costs £15 and lasts 6 months.

gh0stpinballa posted:

dont like this guy normally but have to admit he is correct here

https://twitter.com/thucydiplease/status/1260633164302565376?s=19
Agreed. You should pay sex workers to stay at home even if you don't pay for sex work normally, there's no furlough scheme for most sex work, and the types of sex worker that the swerfs love to moralize about (single mum on benefits forced into prostitution by our sick patriarchal society &c.) are absolutely in need of a hardship fund now more than ever.

Bet Sarah Ditum and the Julies won't be giving anything to SWARM though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

As always in this country it's a mixture of once-sane safety regs and TRADITION. There's a (perfectly reasonable) regulation that there must be no way for non-potable water to make it back into the mains. The problem is that almost all of the taps in your house (particularly any hot water taps) are non-potable, and the only way to stop that non-potable water making it back into the mains was to have a separate tap. Proper backpressure devices didn't exist until the 1950s, and weren't considered reliable enough for use in domestic settings until the 70s, so everyone's just used to having separate taps and get freaked out by mixers.

(of course the devices everyone has to use to get around this then promptly break the separation - my sister used to have a problem of her kitchen tap putting out lukewarm water every time her neighbour had a shower because they had one of those rubber mixer things, and the hot water pressure just blew hot water straight down into the mains)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

They're very convenient if you can't fit things to your taps where you are, but they're very expensive and the filters don't last long at all compared to a big aquarium filter that costs £15 and lasts 6 months.

Yeah, I know it's a little bougie but otherwise I don't drink water at home. You can pretty safely double the time listed or used capacity (ain't died yet) so it works out to about 2 quid a month?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As always in this country it's a mixture of once-sane safety regs and TRADITION. There's a (perfectly reasonable) regulation that there must be no way for non-potable water to make it back into the mains. The problem is that almost all of the taps in your house (particularly any hot water taps) are non-potable, and the only way to stop that non-potable water making it back into the mains was to have a separate tap. Proper backpressure devices didn't exist until the 1950s, and weren't considered reliable enough for use in domestic settings until the 70s, so everyone's just used to having separate taps and get freaked out by mixers.

(of course the devices everyone has to use to get around this then promptly break the separation - my sister used to have a problem of her kitchen tap putting out lukewarm water every time her neighbour had a shower because they had one of those rubber mixer things, and the hot water pressure just blew hot water straight down into the mains)

The kitchen tap in our flat pretty consistently has to run for 1-2 minutes while the output gets warmer and warmer before you get any cold, I'd assumed it was a terrible piping job that was doing laps around the boiler, but could it be this sort of thing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How was the hot higher pressure than the mains under the old system? Guessing electric hot water heater with a pump in or something, which should really have a big sticker on warning against those types of mixers (not that people heed stickers, but anything that blasts gross roof water into the mains sounds like something to avoid). Or was it a block of flats?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jel Shaker posted:

I like BBC 4 but there is something about it which reminds me of the famous Yes Minister sketch where he explains why they need to keep funding the opera rather than things most people enjoy

There are so many channels out there, commercial channels, that cater to an audience wanting mindless entertainment. There's a case to be made that that's not the best use of the license fee. That yeah, maybe it is a bit snooty but maybe the BBC should spend more on its news output, more on its educational programmes and cultural output and less on dancing with celebrities. That ratings shouldn't actually be a major concern for a public service broadcaster like it is for a commercial broadcaster. I'm not saying cancel Eastenders but the whole point of a public service broadcaster is it can make the sort of programmes that a channel that needs high viewership to earn ad revenue can't. But it really doesn't so much any more. Even the decent sciencey stuff needs to be overly flashy and Brian Cox has to visit half a dozen different countries to film one episode about Venus.

I like plenty of trash TV, don't get me wrong. But seems like that's what 5-USA or ITV or E4 are for. BBC can & should do more niche stuff because the alternative is "documentaries" that are History Channel calibre tripe about an ancient race of giants on Corsica & aliens building the pyramids.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
BBC4 had a cool documentary/live concert with Slipknot the other week which was highly entertaining but also looked like it cost about 5 quid.

So what I'm saying is maybe they should just pivot to more Slipknot-focused content

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

BBC4 had a cool documentary/live concert with Slipknot the other week which was highly entertaining but also looked like it cost about 5 quid.

So what I'm saying is maybe they should just pivot to more Slipknot-focused content

Replace BBC 4 with the Slipknot channel and I don't think anyone will notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've been slightly paranoid about tap water ever since that stuff about the city of Flint in the US. I firmly believe that lead poisoning created a generation of perma-babies, and we like to think we sorted it all out, but we're all just a bunch of brain-poisoned idiots anyway. Perhaps just not from lead.