Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Al-Saqr posted:

Hi guys, a year from now I'm planning to upgrade my custom built PC from the NVidia GTX 970 Higher end i7 from 2016 to be ready for the 'Unreal engine 5' generation, I'll probably be open do a price range similar to when the GTx 970 was new (350 buxks or so), what graphics cards should I consider? are there any ones on the way I should look into?

Would upgrading to an i9 processor also be good? any particular number I should look at? when it was new I spent 400$ on my 2016 i7 so I'll probably be open to something on that price range as well.

Also, is Gddr5 Ram still gonna be fine? I think I have 32 gigs of that in my system, is there some big ram upgrade available or on the way as well?

Overall, the setup I had served me perfectly over the last few years, but now that unreal 5 is coming I think I might need to start future proofing.

Take the money you would have spent on an i9 and put it towards getting a 500 dollar card instead of a 350 dollar card. Just get a Ryzen processor instead.

When I benchmark modern games on high settings the results always come back as 95-99 percent GPU bound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you have ~450 USD to kick around, I think you should be aiming for an RTX 2070

if you can wait, you might want to wait for Nvidia has to offer from their RTX 3000 series late this year

if your CPU is still serving you well (and I expect an i7 from 2016 should still be fine), then you might not want to upgrade - DDR5 is coming in 2022, and anything you buy now is going to dead-end within the next year

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Take the money you would have spent on an i9 and put it towards getting a 500 dollar card instead of a 350 dollar card. Just get a Ryzen processor instead.

When I benchmark modern games on high settings the results always come back as 95-99 percent GPU bound.

hmmm... I've never ever used any processor other than intel ever since the pentium was born... does changing that screw up anything? is that like switching to a PowerPC back in the old days of mac where there's gonna be masses of incompatible softare? take note the machine wont just be for gaming but will be for heavy Adobe Creative Suite use as well.

If not, what Ryzen series should I be looking into?

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you have ~450 USD to kick around, I think you should be aiming for an RTX 2070

if you can wait, you might want to wait for Nvidia has to offer from their RTX 3000 series late this year

if your CPU is still serving you well (and I expect an i7 from 2016 should still be fine), then you might not want to upgrade - DDR5 is coming in 2022, and anything you buy now is going to dead-end within the next year

Thanks, if The RTX 3000 series is coming out later this year I'll definitely wait until then and see what's up.

Also thanks for the pro-tip regarding the CPU, isnt DDR5 for RAM though? or is the next generation of CPU'S going to incorprate built in DDR5 ram?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 14, 2020

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No, AMD and Intel both use the same architecture they have cross-licensed. In general, AMD CPUs are the better option at the moment as Intel has had issues with getting new processing nodes to market and more cores are especially great for many productivity tasks.

Ryzen 7 3700X (as well as 3800X if you can get it for not much of a premium), Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 9 3950X would be the interesting CPUs to you.

And GPUs usually have GDDR5, DDR5 is different from that.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 14, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

hmmm... I've never ever used any processor other than intel ever since the pentium was born... does changing that screw up anything? is that like switching to a PowerPC where there's gonna be masses of incompatible softare? take note the machine wont just be for gaming but will be for heavy Adobe Creative Suite use as well.

If not, what Ryzen series should I be looking into?

getting an AMD Ryzen processor would mean needing a new motherboard to go with it, but all your other parts should be compatible

since you said you spend 400 bucks on an i7 from 2016, I'm guessing an i7-6800K

the step-up from that would be something like a Ryzen 7 3700x, which you'd have to pair with a new x570 motherboard like this

(there's a cheaper motherboard option, the B450, but there's a future upgradability issue there that I don't want to get into just yet because it's getting way into the weeds)

Al-Saqr posted:

Also thanks for the pro-tip regarding the CPU, isnt DDR5 for RAM though? or is the next generation of CPU'S going to incorprate built in DDR5 ram?

The current generation of computers use DDR4 for their general system RAM

Most graphics cards use GDDR5 for their video RAM, with some very high-end cards already having made the move to GDDR6

DDR5 for general system RAM is supposed to come out in 2022, and when that happens, both Intel and AMD are going to have release new motherboards and CPUs to go along with it, so anything you buy today won't be upgradeable past 2021, which is why it's not a great time to buy new/get an upgrade for CPUs, unless you're really dissatisfied with the performance or have the cash to throw around

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

getting an AMD Ryzen processor would mean needing a new motherboard to go with it, but all your other parts should be compatible

since you said you spend 400 bucks on an i7 from 2016, I'm guessing an i7-6800K

the step-up from that would be something like a Ryzen 7 3700x, which you'd have to pair with a new x570 motherboard like this

(there's a cheaper motherboard option, the B450, but there's a future upgradability issue there that I don't want to get into just yet because it's getting way into the weeds)

The current generation of computers use DDR4 for their general system RAM

Most graphics cards use GDDR5 for their video RAM, with some very high-end cards already having made the move to GDDR6

DDR5 for general system RAM is supposed to come out in 2022, and when that happens, both Intel and AMD are going to have release new motherboards and CPUs to go along with it, so anything you buy today won't be upgradeable past 2021, which is why it's not a great time to buy new/get an upgrade for CPUs, unless you're really dissatisfied with the performance or have the cash to throw around

Ah ok thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll just hold off until 2022 I'm fine with what I have so far, it's just when I saw the tech demo for Unreal Engine 5 and that consoles will start supporting it I thought it was coming alot sooner than I thought. since PC hardware will get such a massive overhaul then I guess it would be wiser to stick with what I have until then.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's not a real differentiator; a new Intel CPU requires a new motherboard as well. Motherboards in general are pretty much never future-proof, even with AMD.

Al-Saqr posted:

since PC hardware will get such a massive overhaul then I guess it would be wiser to stick with what I have until then.

DDR5 isn't going to make much of a difference, certainly not a "massive overhaul". The main advantage in waiting is that you can potentially use the RAM in your next system as well. Depends on how often you upgrade your computer whether that's an actual advantage.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 14, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If nothing else a GPU replacement will go a long way for most games.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

netBuff posted:

That's not a real differentiator; a new Intel CPU requires a new motherboard as well. Motherboards in general are pretty much never future-proof, even with AMD.

DDR5 isn't going to make much of a difference, certainly not a "massive overhaul". The main advantage in waiting is that you can potentially use the RAM in your next system as well. Depends on how often you upgrade your computer whether that's an actual advantage.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If nothing else a GPU replacement will go a long way for most games.

Ah ok, I generally am a 'once in a console generation' upgrader. so if I build a PC I usually keep it untouched for 5 years or more. So if worst comes to worst I can just get the next generation GTX 3000 series (if need be that is) and then hold off on CPU/RAM upgrades until 2022 so that way I'll save up enough money to go higher quality and get bigger SSD's and it will be worth replacing the whole drat motherboard at that point. I honestly am in no mood to replace the motherboard if just a year and a half from now there's gonna be a whole new generation of CPU's requiring a motherboard change anyways.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Riflen posted:

GTC keynote is at 6am PST.

As you would expect, GA100 looks like a chonker.

~830mm2 on 7nm? :stare:

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

repiv posted:

~830mm2 on 7nm? :stare:

Yeah. The EE Times article that accidentally got published, then taken down said:

quote:

The first chip built on Ampere, the A100, has some pretty impressive vital statistics. Powered by 54 billion transistors, it’s the world’s largest 7nm chip, according to Nvidia, delivering more than one Peta-operations per second. Nvidia claims the A100 has 20x the performance of the equivalent Volta device for both AI training (single precision, 32-bit floating point numbers) and AI inference (8-bit integer numbers). The same device used for high-performance scientific computing can beat Volta’s performance by 2.5x (for double precision, 64-bit numbers).

quote:

Nvidia invented a new number format for AI, Tensor Float 32 (TF32), which its third generation Tensor Cores support. For AI acceleration, working with the smallest number of bits is desirable, since that’s more efficient for computation and data movement, but this is traded off with the accuracy of the final result. TF32 aims to strike this balance using the 10-bit mantissa (which determines precision) from half-precision numbers (FP16), and the 8-bit exponent (which determines the range of numbers that can be expressed) from single-precision format (FP32).

“With this new precision, A100 offers 20 times more compute for single-precision AI, and because developers can continue to use the inputs as single-precision and get outputs back as single-precision, they do not need to do anything differently. They benefit from this acceleration automatically out of the box,” Kharya said.

The Tensor Cores now also natively support double-precision (FP64) numbers, which more than doubles performance for HPC applications.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

QSFP on a GPU, that's a new one

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1260892180165656576

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SCheeseman posted:

Saying the same thing about linear media like tv or movies would be pretty silly. Not being able to achieve photorealism with real-time 3D graphics has always been a technical constraint, not a choice. Besides, we exist in a photo realistic environment which makes photorealism a superset of every art style that exists. If you can accomplish real-time uncompromised photoreal environments then that means just about anything else is possible.

This is a not a great take. For a long time we've been seeing CGI movies that are deliberately non-photorealistic, and the more usable and inexpensive the technology becomes, the more NPR movies and TV we're seeing. The technical constraints have applied across artistic visions, not just to the pursuit of photorealism. Especially in real-time graphics where not just accomplishing things but accomplishing them quickly is necessary, it is not the case that photorealism is a superset of other art styles. For example, doing a sketched art style requires techniques that are never used in the pursuit of photorealism. Real-time dynamic NPR art is entirely unique to real-time rendering, it doesn't exist anywhere else in reality.

There's also another bias in TV and movies in particular because they're usually mixed media, so a lot of the time you want to use physical actors and environments and add other things retain their necessarily realistic style. Step back from TV and movies and their historical limitations and look at art as a broader picture. Most art is deliberately non-photorealistic to some extent. Even in non-visual art, realism is only sometimes a goal.

eames
May 9, 2009

Article on Marketwatch.com says that Ampere will launch for both DC/HPC and Consumers, so it's replacing both Volta and Turing.

article posted:

Ampere will eventually replace Nvidia’s Turing and Volta chips with a single platform that streamlines Nvidia's GPU lineup, Huang said in a pre-briefing with media members Wednesday.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nvidia-unveils-ampere-gpu-architecture-for-ai-boost-and-the-first-target-is-coronavirus-2020-05-14

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Keynote is up, pre-recorded from Jensens kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHnYvH1qtOZ2BSwG4CHmKSVHxC2lyIPL

Ampere write-up: https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-ampere-architecture-in-depth/

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 14, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

single platform to streamline the lineup

so, $2k consumer cards basically

f/e: OTOH, revamped GFX with no sign on required?!

i just realized my next computer is going to cost me like about 2 times what my first car did

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Excellent.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ey76WVYkCI&t=170s

What a time to be alive.

eames
May 9, 2009

Did Volta ever support SR-IOV? The link above says A100 does.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Al-Saqr posted:

Ah ok, I generally am a 'once in a console generation' upgrader. so if I build a PC I usually keep it untouched for 5 years or more.

Your best move is to wait until you're no longer happy with the performance of your machine in the games you want to play. Expect we won't see the "true power" of the next-gen consoles actually trickle down into games for another year from now, at least. When that day comes, pop over into the parts picking thread and give them your total budget to work with, because by then you're going to need basically an entirely new computer (RAM and a SSD would carry over, that's about it).

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I scanned through the blog, seems to be compute-only. DLSS 2 was the one thing game-related I noticed in the videos but I didn't watch everything.
The talking droplet after the rapping head wasn't that good at all, it more or less just flapped its mouth without shaping it to the words well.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Would love to be rich and have 30 different spatulas with no other cooking utensils.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hold onto your papers!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

borkencode posted:

Would love to be rich and have 30 different spatulas with no other cooking utensils.

$30 and the dollar store and your dream can come tru amigo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

repiv posted:

lol at all the hype about the ssds allowing seamless streaming and the first demo they show has an obvious character-slowly-shuffles-through-tight-gap hidden loading transition

i'm guessing the global illumination is a variant of the ddgi algorithm nvidia developed

The shuffling thing stung the devs a bit, they have said it's not a loading transition - after all, why have one small cavern followed by a shuffle into an area literally hundreds of times larger? The shuffle was to show off the audio and texture work.

This guy was the lead on the tech demo;

https://twitter.com/mworch/status/1260658018900832256

He's clearly annoyed because he's replied to a few grognards who said hurr it's to hide a loading screen! Perhaps Epic should have tried something else :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fair enough, they probably should have seen that criticism (valid or not) coming after an entire generation of games used transitions exactly like that to mask loading though :v:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Graphics are cool and all especially with the new Unreal Engine but doesn’t anyone want destructible environments? They haven’t improved since the original Red Faction and everything in Battlefield is pre-determined map elements.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

"And if you swap into first person, you can see that even while climbing with your face inches away from the cliff face, the detail still holds up! This includes the dynamic hand & foot placement." --problem solved, I accept PayPal, etc.

Epic has to know that, given the gaming industry's history of doing demos that hide a lot of rough edges, using one of those tactics causes people to assume they're using it the same way that everyone else does.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Graphics are cool and all especially with the new Unreal Engine but doesn’t anyone want destructible environments? They haven’t improved since the original Red Faction and everything in Battlefield is pre-determined map elements.

:yeah:

Does Red Faction maybe have a patent on the tech?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Dynamic environments, high quality visuals, good performance, pick two. Publishers don't think games will sell without :pcgaming: graphics :pcgaming: so games need to be mostly static to accommodate pre-calculation.

If you pick "dynamic and pretty" you get Minecraft RTX which brings the fastest hardware to its knees just rendering uniform 1 meter cubes.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Zero VGS posted:

:yeah:

Does Red Faction maybe have a patent on the tech?

No, there are tons of ways of doing it. The major problems are threefold. In rough order of ascending importance :

1) It's technically kinda challenging.
2) It's artistically challenging and requires a very different workflow.
3) It's EXTREMELY challenging from a game design perspective. Constraints (rules) are what define a game, and with no environmental constraints, it's very hard to make a game actually a GAME and not just a tech demo.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Destructible environments take so long to do, and the scene will last only a few seconds. Doing it in an FPS game is a mess, because there are so many way it can tank performance, especially in online shooters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
With this announcement do we have a better educated guess on when the new RTX stuff would be shipping to consumers and what tier they'd start with? I just have a friend asking me to build them a PC with their Trump Bux

K8.0 posted:

No, there are tons of ways of doing it. The major problems are threefold. In rough order of ascending importance :

1) It's technically kinda challenging.
2) It's artistically challenging and requires a very different workflow.
3) It's EXTREMELY challenging from a game design perspective. Constraints (rules) are what define a game, and with no environmental constraints, it's very hard to make a game actually a GAME and not just a tech demo.

Gotcha, so everyone's too lazy basically.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If you can make decent graphics relatively cheaply then destructible environments are more feasible.

However, like its been said, you still need to make a game around it and its a ton of work to account for. Red Faction was good but the gameplay was pretty shallow. They just nailed what they did.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

K8.0 posted:

That demo is so technically impressive, but god it's so bad artistically. Can we loving PLEASE stop chasing photorealism and making environments as noisy and sterile as possible?

I do think we're going to see some really mindblowing poo poo this generation from some of the more creative art directors out there.

Weird take cos I had the exact opposite opinion.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

With this announcement do we have a better educated guess on when the new RTX stuff would be shipping to consumers and what tier they'd start with? I just have a friend asking me to build them a PC with their Trump Bux

No one really knows, since there's no guarantee that launch-day console titles will support much at this point, and that won't be till holiday season anyhow. So maybe sometime next year?

If your friend can wait, by all accounts the 3000-series NVidia cards are gonna be smokeshows compared to the current 2000-series. Of course he then loses the opportunity cost of getting to play while he presumably has a lot of time on his hands.

eames
May 9, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

With this announcement do we have a better educated guess on when the new RTX stuff would be shipping to consumers and what tier they'd start with?

People expect a high end consumer product around August. Cyberpunk 2077 is scheduled for September, so it'd certainly make sense to have a new card on the market by then. There's also RDNA2 which was scheduled for this summer.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The shuffling thing stung the devs a bit, they have said it's not a loading transition - after all, why have one small cavern followed by a shuffle into an area literally hundreds of times larger? The shuffle was to show off the audio and texture work.
The character runs and jumps through the city at supersonic speeds later in the video as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Epic really dropped the ball by not hiring a ton of artists to show off their cost-saving rendering techniques.