Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait are we doing best movie of the year or funniest 'tilda swinton playing a naked crying old man with a hilarious accent' scene of the year because obviously it wins that

Porque no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

The name of the band is Talking Heads

Also The Replacements are better

Never heard of 'em where should I start?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Never heard of 'em where should I start?

Cant Hardly Wait is the song you might have heard without knowing who it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7LQiDjsde8

After that, there's the albums:

https://diffuser.fm/replacements-albums-ranked/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

Cant Hardly Wait is the song you might have heard without knowing who it was

Nah, but I dig it. Good stuff

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I Before E posted:

They are two good bands.

There is no need for competition.

They don’t even sound that much alike.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I Before E posted:

Arrest this man

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Serf posted:

sorry to bother you was the best film of 2018

I know its politics are very good but the first ten minutes were poo poo and I turned it off, I'd rather watch a good movie with awful politics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

big boi posted:

I know its politics are very good but the first ten minutes were poo poo and I turned it off, I'd rather watch a good movie with awful politics

lmao

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

big boi posted:

jesus christ

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

big boi posted:

You dumb

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That latest ep with steven donziger is just loving nuts. What the gently caress.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

No

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1260758078162530304?s=21

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

big boi posted:

top five worst posts of the thread

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

thotsky posted:

Chapo should self-crit about going all in on Bernie in the way that they did. I don't think they demonized the left, but they sure helped demoralize it in the long run. Maybe it would have felt different if he had won, but with the disappointing way he lost it becomes hard not to see the campaging, criticism-free coverage and hype as somehow betraying the original concept of the show.

Not sure what New Matt heralds for the show. Even though it is now clear that Old Matt was right, and Primary Matt was probably a mistake it would be difficult, inauthentic and slightly tired for them to just go back to their old ways. TrueAnon occupies that field now, and I believe Brace a lot more. Libs and "anti-fascist" are sort of holding their feet to the fire, making a black-pill turn somewhat more difficult, but honestly, by embracing the campaign the Chapos lost their outsider status so an attempt would feel pretty forced anyway.

They could look inward and do reading series shows about the beef the NYT has with them, but that would be really indulgent, and too similar to the feuding between Republican and Democrat media institutions, which they've made fun of in the past.

I would be worried about upsetting the apple cart too, but Chapo needs to rebrand somehow. Matt can be engaging in pretty much any context, Felix is clearly done with politics, Amber can gently caress off if all she has to bring is "let's focus on local politics", that's more of a chapo guest than host, and who knows what is up with Virgil. The main issue is Will; by showing his entire rear end with the Bernie thing he no longer has any sort of ironic distance or legitimacy. It would be really embarrassing to see him trying to outdo Brace. The "stupid podcast about the noid" defense will no longer work for him and he's himself a proper target for the "moneyed media elite wonk" criticism he used to hand out.

You really are loving stupid as poo poo

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Liz vocal fry voice: what a bunch of dum dums.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Wizard Master posted:

The rare insightful Wizard Master post. Let's enjoy.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
it’s very funny that after refusing to put bush or any of his goons on trial and then going on to commit a bunch of crimes himself, trumps gonna try and convict Obama for saying his tie is too long or some other petty trump bullshit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wizard Master posted:

Yeah but it matriculated all the way to the top and the CTH guys actually quoted that post and made fun of Thotsky, which was the best possible outcome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seams posted:

it’s very funny that after refusing to put bush or any of his goons on trial and then going on to commit a bunch of crimes himself, trumps gonna try and convict Obama for saying his tie is too long or some other petty trump bullshit
He will be hung at dawn for the offense of wearing that tan suit the one time

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It rules that Obama failing to do anything about Bush's admin (not to mention trying to quash the torture report) led to the person who illegally destroyed the torture tapes to end up as head of the CIA.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but it matriculated all the way to the top and the CTH guys actually quoted that post and made fun of Thotsky, which was the best possible outcome.

Even if not intended, having ones thoughts on the show reach the actual crew rather then go in Virgils spambox is pretty cool yeah. Hopefully someone linked them to all the follow up posts as they were less vitriolic. It's not like I had much in the way of actionable criticism, but it will be interesting to go back to the show in a while and see if they get out of the rut. I can't really stomach that right now though.

It's kind of amazing how The Dollop manages to keep it all going even with the same formula for so many episodes. You'd think it would have more of a noticeable drop in quality as Dave has to dig deeper for good stories, and as Gareth and the audience grows more jaded, but Dave puts the work in and Gareth has really stepped up on the funny bits rather than feigning shock and surprise as I'm sure many lesser hosts would have done. It's still really good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Dollop is loving trash those dudes are thieves and never credit anyone for all the research they steal and profit from. Listen to Behind the Bastards instead, Robert credits people for their work, admits when he is wrong, and posts here from time to time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thotsky posted:

Gareth has really stepped up on the funny bits

Every post, every loving post, you make is wrong

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Lol, they literally credit their sources in every episode and has done so forever. It's the original patreon jealousy case, perpetuated almost entirely by that one dude who was not satisfied with only being sourced in the episode description.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thotsky posted:

Lol, they literally credit their sources in every episode and has done so forever. It's the original patreon jealousy case, perpetuated almost entirely by that one dude who was not satisfied with only having being sourced in the episode description.

No they didn't, they had to make a website like 100 episodes in where they listed their sources because they hadn't been doing that. There is one episode they had to take down when people pointed out that the bulk of Dave's text was just straight up plagiarized. Scroll through their archives and you will notice that their episode listings skip a number, that's the plagiarized one they had to remove.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
They removed one because some dude was threatening to sue, but not over plagiarization. It was libel.

They had the dollop sources page since like the very start, but it was not updated as often as the show. Dave talked about in some episode. Around the 100 episode mark they switched to having it in the podcast descriptions as well. For the last year or so they do shout-outs to researchers and sources as part of the audio as well. It's pretty above and beyond, and it's hilarious that the same people usually up in arms over fair use are so salty about The Dollop. It's clearly mostly jealousy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/josh_levin/status/1165614546813427713?s=21

TLDR: It’s not just the one instance, there’s like an entire community of people on reddit who feel like The Dollop stole their content.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 14, 2020

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Who gives a poo poo? So does Nintendo whenever anyone streams their games, or even reviews them without their permission. Defending copyright claims is hardly very woke or lefty.

edit: Go to bat for me on the clearly unlicensed use of my excellent posts by nefarious :argh: actors on the twitter platform and we can talk

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 14, 2020

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1165766471114547201?s=19

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The Dollop is loving trash those dudes are thieves and never credit anyone for all the research they steal and profit from. Listen to Behind the Bastards instead, Robert credits people for their work, admits when he is wrong, and posts here from time to time.

the appeal of the dollop is not the rigorously researched historical facts

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
theres an entire COMMUNITY of people on reddit who feel like the dollop stole their content. lmfao

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/josh_levin/status/1165614546813427713?s=21

TLDR: It’s not just the one instance, there’s like an entire community of people on reddit who feel like The Dollop stole their content.

I used to think Dollop was good.. until I learned they pissed off an editor at Slate.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/AlexUlrichh/status/1260897640721428480

AT&T boss retires with $274,000 a month for life

:lol: that loving rules

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

No they didn't, they had to make a website like 100 episodes in where they listed their sources because they hadn't been doing that. There is one episode they had to take down when people pointed out that the bulk of Dave's text was just straight up plagiarized. Scroll through their archives and you will notice that their episode listings skip a number, that's the plagiarized one they had to remove.

The dudes from the dollop tried to excuse their plagiarism by arguing that it was fair use to read other people's articles verbatim because they were discussing historical events and you can't copyright history, maaaan. It's the only time they've ever actually made me laugh.

https://www.damninteresting.com/a-special-note-to-the-writers-at-the-dollop/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

thotsky posted:

Who gives a poo poo? So does Nintendo whenever anyone streams their games, or even reviews them without their permission. Defending copyright claims is hardly very woke or lefty.

edit: Go to bat for me on the clearly unlicensed use of my excellent posts by nefarious :argh: actors on the twitter platform and we can talk

This is embarrassing, even for you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

The dudes from the dollop tried to excuse their plagiarism by arguing that it was fair use to read other people's articles verbatim because they were discussing historical events and you can't copyright history, maaaan. It's the only time they've ever actually made me laugh.

https://www.damninteresting.com/a-special-note-to-the-writers-at-the-dollop/

hes right

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Phone posted:

This is embarrassing, even for you

lol, tears for the media class up in here

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dollop is cool and good, and making Reddit angry shouldn’t be listed as a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Dave has started citing sources and went back and dropped in old cites for all his old dollop. That should tell you what he thinks about the legitimacy of the criticism