Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Arghy posted:

Is the reward the same? The alternative of letting 2 lances beat each other then swooping in and capping the survivors sounds much easier.

you should bring all assault units or at least an ECM cataphract, because in my experience the two lances tended to prioritise your units a fair bit more than each other, and every single one of their Mechs is a relatively well optimised custom job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Welp! my 1 assault and 3 heavies doesn't sound like it's gonna cut it hahaha, might head away for a bit if i can then circle back when i have more assaults and some ECM.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arghy posted:

poo poo so i defied the blackwidow, is the base defense possible or should i redo the prior mission and not defy the black widow? I don't like my chances of doing possible the worst scenario and fighting the blackwidow head to head.

The base defense is extremely doable. I want to say it's two heavy lances but they trickle in. You'll be fine. Try to pick up another assault before the finale though.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

LtSmash posted:

I was actually working at fixing a couple bugs in Salvage Operations. I fixed some errors in the assemble mod text and made it so assembling a mech gives it any builtin special equipment. I was about to send a pull request after a little more testing but my motherboard crapped out last week.

Was just wondering if you'd ever finished this.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
God the CAB takes forever to download. How much room do pirated MWO textures really take anyway?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Xotl posted:

Was just wondering if you'd ever finished this.

I'm not sure what the problem that needs to be fixed is -- when you assemble a mech with Salvage Operations, it makes a stored chassis. Assembling the chassis pops in the special equipment on heavy metal etc mechs as you'd expect. Works fine.

It's way inferior in UI and options to CustomSalvage, but CustomSalvage isn't updated and a mod that works is better than one that doesn't.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

God the CAB takes forever to download. How much room do pirated MWO textures really take anyway?

Meanwhile, at Pirhana games:

"Wait, what's compression?"

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Haha the bullshark is silly as poo poo, it's even better because the blackmarket has one too so if i wanted i could have 2 bullsharks which i just might because it has so much tonnage free.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why stop at two?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Thats part of the issue, thenother part is cab hasnt seen a mod it said no to yet. Its loving massive

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

I'm not sure what the problem that needs to be fixed is -- when you assemble a mech with Salvage Operations, it makes a stored chassis. Assembling the chassis pops in the special equipment on heavy metal etc mechs as you'd expect. Works fine.

It's way inferior in UI and options to CustomSalvage, but CustomSalvage isn't updated and a mod that works is better than one that doesn't.

CustomSalvage works fine in 1.9- I'm using it right now as part of BT:A 3062, and the github page has was last updated 2 months ago for 1.9 support: https://github.com/BattletechModders/CustomSalvage

Maybe no one is updating the Nexus page?

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 11, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwaihir posted:

CustomSalvage works fine in 1.9- I'm using it right now as part of BT:A 3062, and the github page has was last updated 2 months ago for 1.9 support: https://github.com/BattletechModders/CustomSalvage

Maybe no one is updating the Nexus page?

The source on the github is updated, but if you look at the release page the most recent files there is Jul 9, 2019.

RougeTech and BTA have updated compiles, and I've previously pointed to RT's github as a place you can get a 1.9 DLL file. But that also requires CustomComponents, and it looks like the parts of CustomSalvage's code for the non-CC standalone version are still marked 1.8.

It's totally possible to use CustomSlavage in 1.9, you just have to jump through a couple hoops.

e: hahhahaha yeah this is all of us now :shepicide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD2ZC11pPPQ

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 11, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah, welp.

(I'm now realizing I'm pretty sure we had this exact convo before. But my brain is so zonked out these days that I had no actual memory of it until now lol)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Okay, just jumped into the beginning of the clan wars scenario and is in worth heading to the frontlines?

Edit what the gently caress did you do to my beautiful Royal Griffin?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Okay, just jumped into the beginning of the clan wars scenario and is in worth heading to the frontlines?

Edit what the gently caress did you do to my beautiful Royal Griffin?

Do keep this bit from the mod description in mind:

quote:

Contracts against the clans difficulty is not the same as IS contract difficulty. A half skull is more like 3.5-4 skull approx and 5 skull is off the charts compared to what you have faced before.

They're supposed to be the endgame boss, basically.
Though if you already have a royal griffin, I guess you're not quite as early game as I thought?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Saw it in the black market and it appears to be 50 spoken for slots

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, I am early game and I am using such fine mechs as the Clint, Vulkan, and Valkyrie. (At least I got a Firestarter).

Edit: and the mod nerfs a lot of really overpowered stuff... Engine dual heat sinks are -40 in it, not -60
(And also buffs PPCs to not be awful).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

ExtendedChat: The fatigue mechanic is neat for requiring a b and c squads, but I wish there was a feature to define and send out by squad

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The fatigue penalty is greater now than in previous versions and is a pain in the rear end in the early game. Recovery time is now pretty much a week if you're starting out, compared to the 4 days previously.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Lol, just bumped into first contact. Deffo take the Steiner Scout Lance on a 1 skull clan mission.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExtendedChat: The fatigue mechanic is neat for requiring a b and c squads, but I wish there was a feature to define and send out by squad

I like the fatigue system in xcom, but copying it to this game never felt 'right' to me. There are both mechs and pilots, and I feel like structure damage to mechs is the fatigue equivalent. Pilots wanted something different.

What I've got set up instead:
1. Increased the probability of head hits
2. Reduced the bonus from called shot master + the limited heasdshot mod so that called shots to the head aren't automatic
What this means is that random head hits are much more frequent so my dudes get injured regularly. And a KIA is waaaay more of an occupational hazard. To balance that out:
3. Twiddle the XP leveling curve to make replacing a good pilot less arduous, nerfing the training pods proportionately

The ideal result is that I don't have a/b/c teams, but a continuous chain of mercs being hired, promoted, and dead. Taking a new recruit on a mission isn't just something to do because everyone's fatigued. The trainees come on any mission that's less difficult because you never know when someone's gonna eat it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Is there a trick to installing these on the GOG version of the game? I'm having difficulty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When does the clan invasion happen? I'm trying BEXCE out now for the first time and I want to set a good date for old and new stuff showing up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

When does the clan invasion happen? I'm trying BEXCE out now for the first time and I want to set a good date for old and new stuff showing up.

3051+ should be the right time period.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwaihir posted:

3051+ should be the right time period.

Cool, thanks

Looking forward to being murdered by bigger mechs than mine lol

e: Lol, starting in '53 with a Vulcan, Phoenix Hawk, Suburbie, Wasp, Firestarter, and Locust, in Steiner territory. What could go wrong?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 13, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If any of the people who asked "is the DLC worth getting or should I wait for a sale" happen to be watching the thread...

Paradox is having a sale in their direct-buy store. Season pass for $25, get a steam key and all your money goes direct to HBS / paradox.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is there any mod that adds non-mech/vehicle enemies or obstacles of some sort to the game?

I'd like to play with a more crowded battlefield, that makes mechs stand out more. No idea if it's feasible with the engine, but I imagine you could do stuff like weapons teams that fire out of civvie buildings, mine fields, gun emplacements that are easy to destroy but start hidden until they fire a shot, etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think there's any support at all for non Mech/Vehicle units. There are mods with Thunder (Minefield deploying) ammo for LRMs and Arrow IV artillery, but I think that's about it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You could do the "weapons team hidden in a building" by just making a turret that uses a building as the model. Give it some SRMs and there you go, building that shoots rockets at you. And a hidden emplaced weapon is just a turret with an ECM effect on it.

The problem is making them spawn, because that would be difficult. Randomly throwing some turrets on the map is gonna end up dumb as heck most of the time, without positioning them to have a useful sightline or be near where the action is. Mission Control can add lances and vehicle groups because those are mobile. And the building thing would be even harder, you'd need to go into maps and remove existing buildings.

Then I ask, but why? It's flavorful but I don't think these ideas really change anything inside the game. Turrets suck, and they'll still suck if you give them special abilities. What you're designing is an RTS, not a turn-based tactical game. RTS games are where surprise! better think quick because this thing you couldn't see is now ambushing you! gimmicks work.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'm just mad you can't land a dropship that's packed with turrets then pay extra if those turrets get knocked out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How often does the black market event trigger? I had to turn it down due to being broke lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RBA Starblade posted:

How often does the black market event trigger? I had to turn it down due to being broke lol

If you miss the first one the second chance can take a while to come up. The first offer is weight 40, but when you turn that down the next one is weight 10 (which is pretty much the default, most events are weight 10).

Unless you get your pirate rep up to 40, at which point they offer to let you join for free with a weight 100 event.

To game the black market I think you either keep 500k on hand at all times, or try to grind up to 20 rep with the pirates real fast. (At rep 20 you only have to pay 50k to join.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm at - 21 rep because everyone lusts for pirate death this run lol

There's so much new tech in the shops it doesn't matter though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The hornet is adorable I love it

"I was promised an atlas" lmao

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've been deep in total war: warhammer 2 but seeing BTX:CE get updated with clans has brought me back. This game, with mods, is turning into exactly what I wanted out of it originally

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Everyone be sure to check out PTNs let's play in general and his Firestarter as endgame mech post in particular.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I've played through the main Campaign mode previously but only just picked up all the DLCs and am revisiting this to give Career mode and all of that stuff a go.

I'm worried about missing out on Flashpoints with their limited timers, how viable is it to try and hit them all as they show up?

There's a Davion one expiring soon but it's 3.5 skulls which I don't feel up to yet and not sure if I should try and force my way through it anyway.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

VodeAndreas posted:

I've played through the main Campaign mode previously but only just picked up all the DLCs and am revisiting this to give Career mode and all of that stuff a go.

I'm worried about missing out on Flashpoints with their limited timers, how viable is it to try and hit them all as they show up?

There's a Davion one expiring soon but it's 3.5 skulls which I don't feel up to yet and not sure if I should try and force my way through it anyway.

Don't worry about missing any. They will respawn until you've done them.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Excellent, exactly what I needed to hear :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Don't worry about missing any. They will respawn until you've done them.

Except the special heavy metal special campaign ones, which don't respawn, and doesn't list when they expire, either.