Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/clairlemon/status/1260744096815054850?s=20

lol yes, masks make lockdown unnecessary

none of these people have ever had a job that has required PPE

"I'm wearing goggles, feel free to throw poo poo at my face. it's safe!"

well a huge number of people think masks are communism / plot by the deep state for one

because people are loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

it's been incredible watching DC journalists try to figure out what PPE is during this crisis. PPE is meant to help minimize risk, it's not a cure all. literally millions of people in the US use PPE everyday in their jobs and know this already.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MysteriousStranger posted:

this is one of those "it's expensive to be poor" things. Throwing several hundred dollars at quality shoes or boots (hell or jacket or belt) and it will last decades, if not outlast you. Not doing this and you have to buy every few years again and it fucks up your feet and knees.

I bought nice shoes one time only and immediately ruined them because I had to walk a long way in the snow which had salt in it and didn't know that expensive shoes, unlike my hiking boots, required daily maintenance of another pair of shoes on top of them

So I gave up and just wore hiking boots with my suit instead. Still mad at the money I wasted

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Shageletic posted:

crack ping right here

Wisconsinites flocked to their favorite watering holes Wednesday night in the immediate aftermath of the state Supreme Court’s decision to block the governor’s stay-at-home order. It was the first time any state’s efforts at limiting business activity to halt the spread of the coronavirus had been so dramatically cast aside. WTMJ visited several bars in Milwaukee and found them packed with people celebrating the court’s decision. One customer told the channel: “I have a toddler at home and I’m a full-time nurse, so it’s been very stressful and hard to not be able to go out and be with my family and friends at the bar.” Bar owner Kathy Goedde said she reopened as soon as the ruling came down, adding: “It was awesome.” Goedde said she’s limiting the number of people coming in and has asked them to stay two bar stools away from each other.

dont even get me started on wisconsin

i grew up kinda poor, just a rung above living in a trailer park, in a stupid half-rural/half-suburban town, but the public school system of Wisconsin was very good to me, from elementary school lunches to professors at the local community college who set me up to do some interesting things.

now you can just feel the conservative dumbness growing everywhere, the community college i went to got gutted and my old professors have to teach at like three different satellite campuses, probably not as available to their students as they were for me. idk where else to move to right now but im ready to peace out on these ruddy fuckers here in the dairy state

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Burn Zone posted:

this is wild.

may I interest you in some lemur anal gland oil?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

The morning news I'm watching keeps playing a clip of a woman at a bar with no mask saying "I'm a nurse with a child at home, and it's been hard to go without seeing my friends and family at the bar, so I'm happy to be here."

at least two nurses I went to school with have attended and had weddings in the past month

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1260963098254405638?s=20

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won't lie, I legitimately hope Madagascar's crazy herbal tonic is not the obvious snake oil it is and it cures coronavirus completely with no side effects and then they Black Panther it and don't allow anyone but African nations get it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

I bought nice shoes one time only and immediately ruined them because I had to walk a long way in the snow which had salt in it and didn't know that expensive shoes, unlike my hiking boots, required daily maintenance of another pair of shoes on top of them

So I gave up and just wore hiking boots with my suit instead. Still mad at the money I wasted

Heavy brine will instantly destroy leather of any grade or quality. The farther you get from regular salt water the stronger this is, calcium bromide or whatever will just obliterate it

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

im so going to run as a DSA candidate thats also pro open carry

if you go far enough left you get your guns back

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

get this... they work, a little bit!

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

mrmcd posted:

Also boomer chuds are being stupid and selfish, but lol @ how half this thread everyday is all "I can't believe people actually enjoy leaving their homes!! and eating at restaurants!! and having social contact!!! :psyboom:

it's more like, finally never leaving the house is a good and laudable thing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If I order $100 worth of beer I can get it delivered to me.
Should I order that much beer?
Do I need that much beer?
I should probably be working on my sobriety but this world is pretty poo poo and beer is tasty and makes life more tolerable

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

shovelbum posted:

Heavy brine will instantly destroy leather of any grade or quality. The farther you get from regular salt water the stronger this is, calcium bromide or whatever will just obliterate it

yerp.

also for fun "quality but must be maintained" try out high carbon steel knives. those things will last generations but man oh man do you need to maintain the hell out of them.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

if a chud walk up to me without a mask can I stand my ground?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

DEATH CULT

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1260944735130341378?s=20
https://twitter.com/JulieBorowski/status/1260935745130434560?s=20
https://twitter.com/BlueBoxDave/status/1260948989891018759?s=20
https://twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1260948833820958723?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shoe trees are the other big thing to have too, especially for leather shoes. that and optimally giving pairs some rest to properly dry out after any sort of wear

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Burn Zone posted:

if you go far enough left you get your guns back

this

Every chud and far right nutjob is armed. Are you?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it blows my loving mind that barring the most utterly horrid of situations that anyone living in a country with an average or slightly below average quality of life can observe the united states in 2020 and still want to move here

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just an utter disaster of a nation. a pure comedy of errors

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

shovelbum posted:

What the gently caress do boomers do at work I've never seen a white one do poo poo at least

They print PDFs all day just to scan them back in again before forgetting their passwords that haven't changed in years.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

triple sulk posted:

it blows my loving mind that barring the most utterly horrid of situations that anyone living in a country with an average or slightly below average quality of life can observe the united states in 2020 and still want to move here

reminds me of when i asked some russians how to move there and they said they'd beat the poo poo out of me if i ever asked a question that stupid again

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikenzieFrost/status/1260923122691330048

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikenzieFrost/status/1260943061699514370

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikenzieFrost/status/1260956233571409921

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yerp.

also for fun "quality but must be maintained" try out high carbon steel knives. those things will last generations but man oh man do you need to maintain the hell out of them.

they sharpen up really easily though compared to tool steels or whatever

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/LaurenMGibbons/status/1260953758684545026

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
excuse me but these calls for violence are going to get lowtax into big trouble

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

goddamn this congressional hearing is far more draining to watch than even the worst White House press conference

the republicans are avatars of malice. the low energy democrats are only arguing that COVID is real.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
The fun part of this virus is that the results of opening back up too fast/soon won’t show for a month, giving chuds a few weeks to brag and go nuts before everything goes to hell.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oxsnard posted:

excuse me but these calls for violence are going to get lowtax into big trouble

It owns that I can't say things like "Elon musk should kill himself" and I get probated but those dudes storm a governor's mansion and get McDonald's afterwards

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Willias posted:

The fun part of this virus is that the results of opening back up too fast/soon won’t show for a month, giving chuds a few weeks to brag and go nuts before everything goes to hell.

things wont "all go to hell", it mostly kills or severely sickens people old enough that no one gives a gently caress, if they triage covid straight to "go home and die" nothing will be overwhelmed and this will be a shameful and obscure epidemic like TB in prisons`

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Willias posted:

Yeah it's pretty cool that all the states doing the right thing and quarantining are just going to be reinfected because of the absolute dumbest people in the country being openly manipulated by the richest people in the country.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Marx Headroom posted:

reminds me of when i asked some russians how to move there and they said they'd beat the poo poo out of me if i ever asked a question that stupid again

lol i'm learning russian and some people i'm exchanging english/russian with think america is super awesome and great and there are no social problems here. it's a good way to stretch your vocabulary i guess, talking about how hosed up things are. they've got a lot of :stare: stories too

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

this is one of those "it's expensive to be poor" things. Throwing several hundred dollars at quality shoes or boots (hell or jacket or belt) and it will last decades, if not outlast you. Not doing this and you have to buy every few years again and it fucks up your feet and knees.

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

clockwork chaos has issued a correction as of 18:10 on May 14, 2020

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goon-with-probably-covid update: having shallow breaths now that I'm sitting in a chair, but my OxSat is still 98 and my temp is only slightly elevated at 98.6.

I'm taking an aspirin once a day and trying to keep the place warm (furnace is busted and I'm going to just use the space heater instead of letting Chuddy McFuckhead the maintenance guy in here to talk about how COVID was invented by the Jews or whatever).

I called my doctor yesterday. She called back today. I asked if there was a way I could get a test and she said "Well you have to go to the emergency room. There aren't actual testing facilities here. There were plans but now that we're reopening, they've been basically cancelled. Fair warning if you go to the ER, they don't really have enough tests so a lot of people have been going, getting potentially exposed, and then being told sorry there's no tests available try again tomorrow. So I know you have shallow breathing but if it's not actually painful to breathe, just hold on and don't get tested unless it gets physically difficult to breathe."

So. You know. America.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

shovelbum posted:

they sharpen up really easily though compared to tool steels or whatever

oh gently caress yeah, and much sharper as well. they are vastly better knives for the kitchen. but you have to hand clean them, oil them on the regular, and don't you EVER leave them sitting the sink with dirty water.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zberan Madowinty posted:

Goon-with-probably-covid update: having shallow breaths now that I'm sitting in a chair, but my OxSat is still 98 and my temp is only slightly elevated at 98.6.

I'm taking an aspirin once a day and trying to keep the place warm (furnace is busted and I'm going to just use the space heater instead of letting Chuddy McFuckhead the maintenance guy in here to talk about how COVID was invented by the Jews or whatever).

I called my doctor yesterday. She called back today. I asked if there was a way I could get a test and she said "Well you have to go to the emergency room. There aren't actual testing facilities here. There were plans but now that we're reopening, they've been basically cancelled. Fair warning if you go to the ER, they don't really have enough tests so a lot of people have been going, getting potentially exposed, and then being told sorry there's no tests available try again tomorrow. So I know you have shallow breathing but if it's not actually painful to breathe, just hold on and don't get tested unless it gets physically difficult to breathe."

So. You know. America.

you moron, expose the chud

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

oh gently caress yeah, and much sharper as well. they are vastly better knives for the kitchen. but you have to hand clean them, oil them on the regular, and don't you EVER leave them sitting the sink with dirty water.

people who get into tools for the sake of the tool and not for its suitability for the task get way too hung up on the care and cleaning though. like it becomes a totem like cleaning your gun in the military where it has no bearing in fact. tho ofc the maintenance is real to an extent, it's more like "more than none" and not YOU WASHED MY CAST IRON PAN?!?!?!!?!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Yeah it's pretty cool that all the states doing the right thing and quarantining are just going to be reinfected because of the absolute dumbest people in the country being openly manipulated by the richest people in the country.

The plus side is that with an r0 that's probably going to be above 6 for people who are intentionally making political points, they should all get it within a month and locked down states (Illinois) can open up a month after since it will have gone through 100% of sconnies, Hoosiers, Missourians, michiganders and Iowans by then

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The only way you could be reacting this way is if you feel that some aspect of this disease is a total hoax, or if you genuinely don't care about your own life or the lives of those around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Don Pigeon posted:

get this... they work, a little bit!

Everything has to work like a light switch. It's either on or off. It either works 100% or 0%. No middle.