Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I still don't understand why there's always rocks and concrete and poo poo in Royal Oak. What the hell is the process that results in this?

Capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I still don't understand why there's always rocks and concrete and poo poo in Royal Oak. What the hell is the process that results in this?

I was thinking the same thing. They probably put either the charcoal or raw wood lumps on the ground at some point, and then scoop it up with a bulldozer bucket or equivalent... and then their sorting machine can't properly reject the rocks and nails that also get scraped up.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I tried smoking a flank steak for the first time and I think it's my new favorite way to prepare flank steak. Marinated over night, smoked at 225 (MES) to 130 internal temp (about 90 minutes) then turned up to 275 until 145 internal temp. I would never normally abuse a steak to that temperature, but the inside was still pink and it was juicy and pleasantly smoky. The outside was brown enough that I didn't need to sear it. Tasted great by itself, and I finished the leftovers on a grilled cheese with a chopped pepper from a chipotle peppers in adobo sauce can.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Lowe’s would run huge sales on Weber charcoal briquettes every now and then and they were my favorite.

So far I’ve tried only B&B and have gotten a handful of rocks in every pour!

That mess is $20 on the reg. While good quality, hard to justify for the $/weight ratio of the purchase. Like you said sales are where it's at. I live for some charcoal deals. We're about to hit the season for it!

The above thing about the lump is confusing to me. Perhaps because I have access to a lot of lump charcoal options that are higher quality. Again you're usually paying for it, but you don't deal with a bag that's 50% shards which is the real trouble with lump. Rockwood, Western, Blackwood, and Kamado have all been good quality products with majority large chunks in my experience. That said it's subject to how they've been handled after the fact.

When I looked up restaurant grade charcoal I was mostly getting hits from EU countries. While I'm sure it exists here in the US I couldn't really find all that much. My local RD only had RO lump & Kingsford blue. :/

If you're wondering why rocks & stuff are in your cheaper grade charcoals I implore you to look up videos of commercial charcoal production. It's probably b/c they're backhoe loading woodscraps and crap into a giant burn chamber and not filtering for size or extra poo poo before bagging it. Improved quality control is what you're paying for in the nicer brands more or less.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 13, 2020

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just had an idea: Smoke-roast a top round to slice thin for french dips.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Even though I said that I didn't think there was a big difference using briquettes vs lump charcoal food products in the past it doesn't mean I don't enjoy using lump. In general, I feel like a kid in a candy store when purchasing new charcoal & wood products. Today I was out and about. Decided to stop into my local grill shop looking for Blackwood charcoal, that I previously said was good, only to find out they went out of business. Womp womp. The shop had some other lump products along with the bags cut open so you could inspect the chunk sizes. I ended up grabbing a few bags to try out. Also it felt nice to support the local shop since they're close & carry some solid grill related products. This is the first time I've seen Jealous Devil in store. The Fire and Society I had not heard of, but it has some massive chunks. Doesn't seem as dense as the JD when handling the bags. We'll see how it all plays out when it comes to burn times.

I'm going to do a very non-scientific side-by-side size comparison in the future. Will share here if anybody is interested.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 13, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Do all smokers retain their scent of smoke, if that makes sense?

I can open my MES a week after smoking something (like I did tonight in preparation for tonight’s smoke), and I reek like a campfire even though it hasn’t been on for an entire week.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
To some degree yes. It's worse if you leave a water pan or drippings in after. If left too long it can mold. The smell does certainly evolve over time too. Typically becoming less pleasant unless vented.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

onemanlan posted:

To some degree yes. It's worse if you leave a water pan or drippings in after. If left too long it can mold. The smell does certainly evolve over time too. Typically becoming less pleasant unless vented.

Yeah I coat everything in aluminum foil and remove it after. I don’t use a water pan. I’m wondering if it’s the sides and the racks maybe. The last cook I didn’t put food directly on the rack-I used a separate rack that I washed later.

Edit: come to think, I do always put the cover on a few hours after I’m done smoking. Maybe I’ll stop doing that and let it vent.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 14, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Saw an ad for the Weber Smokefire on social media today. Decided to a little research on it and oh god I can't believe how poorly Weber is doing with it. The Smokefire is prone to grease fires by design with the only way to mitigate it by deep cleaning it every time. The controller app also sucks because it doesn't allow you to change or monitor the temperature over time. It also does not allow you to remote start the grill. It is also difficult to update the firmware. Forums and various reviewers insinuate this as a purposeful attempt to hide issues with the grill like those mentioned as well as issues with wild temperature swings and uneven heating up to 70°. People are complaining left and right, calling customer support and having to wait up to 45 minutes, sometimes to just be disconnected. The hosed up part in all of this is that Weber refuses to mention anything is wrong with the grill, and still advertises it.

Here. Have someone desperately trying to give it a decent review and it literally starting a grease fire.

[video type="youtube"]-_7S3KTxvHc&t=14m41s[/video]

Edit:

Start at 14 mins 41 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7S3KTxvHc

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 14, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Prime brisket was $3.50/lb at Costco so I had to. I separated the flat and point before I rubbed everything this time, and I thought it worked well. More surface area and it was done so unexpectedly quickly I had to run from a conference call outside to pick it out.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Stuck on slow internet so I can't watch the whole thing and I have no idea how the internals of the smoke fire are setup.

But... the guy says in the description that the fire is because he left out the drip tray.

If it's designed like other weber grills the drip tray is setup to catch and vaporize drippings to add flavor and channel off excess grease to the catch pan in the bottom and prevent flareups.

Leaving it out and cooking 2 large fatty cuts of meat is not a great idea.

Smoke fire is likely a piece of poo poo and I saw a related video from Harry Soo that I also can't watch RN that would likely have a bit more through testing and seemed ominous from the title.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Saw an ad for the Weber Smokefire on social media today. Decided to a little research on it and oh god I can't believe how poorly Weber is doing with it. The Smokefire is prone to grease fires by design with the only way to mitigate it by deep cleaning it every time. The controller app also sucks because it doesn't allow you to change or monitor the temperature over time. It also does not allow you to remote start the grill. It is also difficult to update the firmware. Forums and various reviewers insinuate this as a purposeful attempt to hide issues with the grill like those mentioned as well as issues with wild temperature swings and uneven heating up to 70°. People are complaining left and right, calling customer support and having to wait up to 45 minutes, sometimes to just be disconnected. The hosed up part in all of this is that Weber refuses to mention anything is wrong with the grill, and still advertises it.

Here. Have someone desperately trying to give it a decent review and it literally starting a grease fire.

[video type="youtube"]-_7S3KTxvHc&t=14m41s[/video]

Edit:

Start at 14 mins 41 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7S3KTxvHc

Man, Weber rolled that out by inviting a ton of food influencers to Weber HQ. They had the influencers buttered up with the experience of the exclusive reveal (exhibit #1&2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPcYxx6s_5s&t=1s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRSdgBebvLY). They pair them with Weber chefs, top-of-the-line SmokeFires, and a bunch of fine meats in an industrial kitchen. Of course it all goes flawlessly and the food is perfect. A number of these same folks, YouTubers, immediately buy one for the likes. The initial consumer models turn out to be complete poo poo for the reasons you mention. Grown men cry over they ordered (Exhibit #3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0NOKaJ_uQ). People were reporting auger feed issues, grease fires, ash dispersion and uneven cooking issues to name a few. Supposedly the pellets didn't feed correctly into the augur, by design of the sloped walls, and then the augur had trouble feeding at the proper rate. If the augur fed too fast it would pump the heat too high and the feedback system would kick in to 'correct' the issue leading to lovely feed of pellets altogether. Not sure beyond that.

It was funny to say the least. Also a real shame. I can't speak highly enough about the Mastertouch Kettle. That said anything with moving parts is liable to have issues which is the major reason I try to avoid pellet grills. Sure there are probably great ones, but they're hard to tell apart from the ones you shouldn't bother with.

Choosing that YouTuber is kinda low hanging fruit though. Despite having 30+ grills, of which many are given to him for free, and he whines about a lot of stuff on the reg. There are others if you go searching. Also as a consequence to this shitmess Weber will send you replacement parts, help you update firmware, and if you're truly incompetent send out a person to do that poo poo for you. That's aside the issues that were popping up like poorly fitting parts that were off tolerances or not properly screwing together. It was a true poo poo show.

As a side note I found out only a few days ago that pellet grills can explode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMs2-9Ti8WY It has something to do with the start cycle & augur feeding a ton of pellets into the chamber quicker than when maintaining temp. It's a temp ramp strategy. If you get a hosed up augur or have a quick power out & restart that it can shove too many pellets into the firepot. Those pellets get heated to the point of gassification that then gets contained in the grill & ignited for the boomy part. Pretty funny vids though.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 14, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

my turn in the barrel posted:

But... the guy says in the description that the fire is because he left out the drip tray.

The smoker is designed to be run without a drip tray. It has a sloped channel in the bottom of the grill that is designed to catch run off and direct it to the ash tray. Yup. Sends all the grease toward where you'll find the most burning embers besides the burner pot. Later in that video, the grease fire spreads to the ash tray. It gets larger and larger while the grill is in shutdown mode. He finally kills it by unplugging the grill.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God dammit.

Started the smoke at 225 at 9:30 pm. Internal temp of 34.

5:30 am (8 hours later). Temperature of 140 in the smoker at 118 internal temp. Wtf.

I put in a second probe for the smoker, my Thermoworks Dot, and it matches the 140 internal temp.

Every other time this smoker has always ran hot. If I set it to 225, it will give me 240.

So right now I have the temperature gauge and masterbuilts thermometer telling me it’s at 225, but 2 standalone thermometers only saying it’s 140 inside the smoker.

I’m guessing the pork shoulder is getting thrown out at this point. I pegged the temp up to max at 275 and it’s only coming up to 165 on my thermometer.

Wtf is wrong with this thing? I’m ready to throw it out. It’s weird that masterbuilts thermometer probe and the bottom of the smoker (both numbers from masterbuilt) show 260 currently, but my other thermometers match at 160.

Edit: gently caress-it’s my own stupidity. I put a cookie sheet under the pork to catch any drippings and apparently heat would cycle up to the probe and get it to short cycle.

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 14, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So, my sister's soon-to-be-ex was bad with money, and a few years back he bought a big green egg with *all* of the accessories. It's currently sitting in the garage with the rest of his poo poo that he hasn't come back for.

SOON. Soon you will be mine. And then I shall be one with my smoking brethren.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

5436 posted:

I put my thermworks probe is in a potato (tiny one) and it registers ~250 (the end of the probe is completely out of the potato) but the WSM is registering like 280. The meat is on the top rack, my assumption was the weber therm runs cooler, is that wrong?

The temp is holding really stable compared to my first smoke which was on the windiest day of the year. This isn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I added a bit more than that. Maybe 25% more.

Do you only add the meat after the wood has stopped giving off smoke?

This has already been address but in case anyone is interested, there's a really good article about the science of smoke at amazingribs.com. It'll tell you almost everything you need to know about smoke and fire and the physics/chemistry of what is happening and how it influences flavor.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

onemanlan posted:

Choosing that YouTuber is kinda low hanging fruit though. Despite having 30+ grills, of which many are given to him for free, and he whines about a lot of stuff on the reg. There are others if you go searching. Also as a consequence to this shitmess Weber will send you replacement parts, help you update firmware, and if you're truly incompetent send out a person to do that poo poo for you. That's aside the issues that were popping up like poorly fitting parts that were off tolerances or not properly screwing together. It was a true poo poo show.

I think that's a little unfair the BBM - almost everything is something he has purchased, primarily because he wants to maintain his objectivity (yes, even the SmokeFire). He has made a point of saying that many times in many of his videos. I think the only paid relationship he had was with the Adrenaline BBQ company when he did a few videos for them, and he has been testing one of their new kettles. The reason he's emotional for any reason about Weber stuff is because he's such a fan, and he has been burned by them before when they botched the rollout of the Red kettles... at this point he has a good personal relationship with them and after their PR event he spent a few months hyping a product he was really excited about. The overwhelming feeling from people in the community is that they have really dropped the ball in the last couple years, and it's bumming everyone out - so it pains him to see it happening again... especially when Weber refused to say anything for so long, and when they finally did it was a shrug and kind of said "maybe you're using it wrong"... and now they're sending out full replacement parts, more or less validating a lot of the early critiques. They're also sending out the wrong replacement parts and not doing themselves any favors. BBM is probably taking it too seriously, but he wouldn't be the first person to be passionate about a hobby :)

The whole problem with the SmokeFire rollout is that all of the really serious BBQ people took everything Weber said at face value. Weber sold it as immune to grease fires and burnbacks but also claimed you could get all of the performance they claim without the use of a drip tray. Even though the manual explicitly states that for extra long or greasy cooks, you should use a drip tray. It looks like the classic problem of the engineers working in one direction and the marketing team going in a different one. They also botched the design of the auger/pellet ramp because they basically designed something that only works well with their own pellets, and then hosed up the firmware that ships with the unit which basically guarantees bad reviews and user experiences.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Doing spare ribs now!! center cut!!

What temp do you guys reccomend? Gonna do 3 hours on and 3 hours wrapped instead of 3-2-1.

I was thinking 230-250 for the cook, trying to stay around 240.

What is the top vent for? I always see everyone to say to leave it completely open. Is this true?

5436 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 14, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Is this on a WSM? I used to leave the top vent all the way open (virtualweberbullet recommends it) and had a difficult time controlling temps. Now I meter it the same amount as the lower vents.

225-250 is a great range for ribs. Honestly...2/2/2, 3/2/1, or leaving them unwrapped the whole time.... mine have all turned out fine. I prefer leaving them unwrapped now because wrapping and unwrapping them is a greasy nightmare. I just sauce them an hour-ish before they’re done.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Bob A Feet posted:

Is this on a WSM? I used to leave the top vent all the way open (virtualweberbullet recommends it) and had a difficult time controlling temps. Now I meter it the same amount as the lower vents.

225-250 is a great range for ribs. Honestly...2/2/2, 3/2/1, or leaving them unwrapped the whole time.... mine have all turned out fine. I prefer leaving them unwrapped now because wrapping and unwrapping them is a greasy nightmare. I just sauce them an hour-ish before they’re done.

Yup 14" WSM!

I guess I'll do 2 of them 3/2/1 and 2 of them 3/3 to just see the diff. I'm sitting at 225-230 now for 45 minutes, very stable.

The billows + smoke is 20% off, does this happen often? Should I pull the trigger?

5436 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 14, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Get a gasket kit first. WSMs leak like sieves. Always regret not getting one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Thinking about picking up a smoker.

I was kind of thinking of one of the Louisiana Grills vertical smokers that Costco carries for $449, if they're still instore.

https://www.costco.com/louisiana-grills-vertical-pellet-smoker.product.100459307.html

The complaint I saw online was that the pellet removal chute didn't let you get all the pellets out of the hopper when you cleaned it (you apparently should remove pellets from a pellet smoker if you're not going to use it for more than a week), and that the grease/drippings tray was not easy/convenient to remove.

https://bestgrillreviews.com/louisiana-grills-65700-lgv7pc1-vertical-smoker-review/

https://smile.amazon.com/Louisiana-Grills-Vertical-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B07PNK9BYF#customerReviews

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/costco-louisiana-grills-series-7-pellet-vertical-smoker.285291/

Someone in the costco thread also said their drum-style Louisiana Grill smoker was kinda poorly made and the paint was peeling all over the place. They suggested Traeger but the cheaper traeger mini (junior 20?) appears to have big problems with temperature swing. The bigger Traegers are getting out of my price range, I don't think I can talk myself into $800 on a smoker or whatever right now.

Price range is basically under $500, ideally.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 14, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
If you’re looking outside of pellet smokers, this thread and most of the internets recommendation is the Weber Smokey Mountain. 18.5” is the recommended size (it’s the middle of three sizes, 14.5 and 22.5 are the others), but I’ve used the smallest one for years and it’s been great.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Bob A Feet posted:

If you’re looking outside of pellet smokers, this thread and most of the internets recommendation is the Weber Smokey Mountain. 18.5” is the recommended size (it’s the middle of three sizes, 14.5 and 22.5 are the others), but I’ve used the smallest one for years and it’s been great.

So to give you an idea, I'm brand new to smoking and got a WSM.

My brother has a electric smoker and they are way way easier to make bbq with.

The WSM, for me, has maintained temp pretty good. I don't have to fuss with it a lot to stay within +- 5 degree. The first 2 times I used it it was nerve wracking though. You have to add fuel to it through the cook, and quickly so you don't drop the temperature too much. I also feel like you need a Thermworks Smoke or some gadget to keep an eye on the temperature inside so that'll raise the price. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the thermworks signal + billows (a fan that maintains the temperature for you).

If people say the food tastes as good or better out of a pellet or electric smoker, I would probably just go that route for the simplicity. I don't have any place to really put one of those so I went with the WSM 14" and I like it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bob A Feet posted:

Would I be correct that pellet smokers let you be lazier with automatic temp control and poo poo, but that "regular" smokers are cheaper? Are there other disadvantages? (5436 raises taste being a possible difference, I didn't think of that)

is there a decent pellet smoker that's not pushing close to $1000?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Would I be correct that pellet smokers let you be lazier with automatic temp control and poo poo, but that "regular" smokers are cheaper? Are there other disadvantages? (5436 raises taste being a possible difference, I didn't think of that)

AFAIK with pellet smokers you have less flexibility around the type and amount of smoke you impart to your food - with a regular smoker you just add whatever wood chunks you want, while with a pellet smoker the pellets impart both heat and smoke so you're limited to whatever smoke those pellets make. Also if you cooked with hickory pellets yesterday and want to do an applewood smoke I think you'd have to clean out all the old pellets first which could be annoying. That said my experience with pellet smokers is rather limited.

For me one of the main draws of grilling and smoking is that I get to play with fire, which you can't do with a pellet smoker.

EDIT: There is also automatic temperature control with "standard" smokers. Most smokers can fit a fan that automatically increases air flow through the firebox if a linked thermometer detects the temperature dropping in the chamber.

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 14, 2020

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Tomfoolery posted:

EDIT: There is also automatic temperature control with "standard" smokers. Most smokers can fit a fan that automatically increases air flow through the firebox if a linked thermometer detects the temperature dropping in the chamber.

This is the billows + thermworks signal i'm talking about. It seems like it'll make smoking as mindless as a pellet smoker. It's 20% off today too.

I think that'll keep you under budget too and get most of what you are looking for. The thermworks signal + billows is about ~240 w/ the 20% off and a WSM 18" is probably ~260.

edit: add in

WSM 18" - $329 (or try to get used)
Thermworks Signals - $189
Billows - $49
Chimney - $15
Welding Gloves - $10
Wood - $6-18 per a wood
Charcoal - ??
Spray bottle - $5 (target has good ones I think)

That should be most everything you need for a first smoke.

5436 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 14, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah OK, the billows + signal thing looks pretty solid as far as temperature control, so I'll go with that and a WSM I think.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

“Regular” smokers are basically chunks of metal. Pellet smokers have moving parts which can and do break.

And while you are definitely going to want a remote probe thermometer, you don’t really need auto temp control on a charcoal smoker (it’s more of a nice to have). I’ll second the recommendation of looking for a Weber Smoky Mountain (look used on local craigslist and you can definitely get a deal on one and because, again, no moving parts, used is basically good as new after a cleaning.)

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Kalman posted:

“Regular” smokers are basically chunks of metal. Pellet smokers have moving parts which can and do break.

And while you are definitely going to want a remote probe thermometer, you don’t really need auto temp control on a charcoal smoker (it’s more of a nice to have). I’ll second the recommendation of looking for a Weber Smoky Mountain (look used on local craigslist and you can definitely get a deal on one and because, again, no moving parts, used is basically good as new after a cleaning.)

I smoking while working and I feel like the temp control would give me a lot of peace of mind.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

5436 posted:

I smoking while working and I feel like the temp control would give me a lot of peace of mind.

Yeah, I think it's a lifestyle question. I have a couple of kids and I want something as close to set + forget as I can get... I don't like all of the technical issues that come with pellet smokers, the compromise in flavour, the fact that you have to buy pellets, the fact that they can't really get up to searing temp, etc - so I went the kettle + ATC route. No complaints other than I wish it could load its own charcoal! If I had the space and the funds I'd probably start to look at a gravity-fed charcoal grill

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Came out loving great!!

Needs a little more salt and some sweetness but the cook was perfect!!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Those look fantastic. You’re inspiring me to do the same thing Saturday!

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
A man of culture, I see. Those ribs are gorgeous. That's the best advert for a WSM to the guy looking above.

WSM does great work for a low price point. Unless space is an issue spring for the 18.5 or 22 inch. You'll regret it if you don't. The only thing I'd recommend as an alternative is the OK Joe Bronco. It's equivalent of the WSM 18.5. Comes with hooks and hangers along with the standard rack. Made of more thick material so it holds heat better. You might find them on clearance at Walmart or other big box stores since they didn't sell terribly well.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

We just bought a WSM this week (our first ever smoker!) And it owns.

We didn't spring for the bigger size, which I regret a bit, but we're mostly only cooking for three people so it should do the trick. And then we'll sell it on and upgrade before too long anyway.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Heads up for the thread, ThermoWorks is doing 20% off site-wide (except for the Wand thermometer).

Five days after I ordered my Thermapen :cry:

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Dango Bango posted:

Heads up for the thread, ThermoWorks is doing 20% off site-wide (except for the Wand thermometer).

Five days after I ordered my Thermapen :cry:

How often do they do this? Should I just bite the bullet and get a Signals?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

5436 posted:

How often do they do this? Should I just bite the bullet and get a Signals?

They do sales on various things pretty regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My UltraQ shipped. Looking forward to it, since my OG Competitor was awesome but the CyberQ was a bit odd...

I have two butts in the fridge, but I need to cook them tomorrow, hopefully there is more butt in my future!