Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Starter developing hooch in the fridge after about six days. I’m currently in a cadence of weekly feeds, keeping 50g of starter, feeding 100g white + 100g water.

Too active, just right? Feed more? Feed less? Keep less starter for the feed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'd say feed half that unless you're actively using the discard, but I'm not a sourdough expert yet

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When it's healthy you can get away with less then a 1:2:2 too. I just did a 1:7:7 totaling 75 grams for two days of feeding at 58-70 degrees. Do a 1:3:3 and maybe you'll avoid hooch in less then a week.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So, I was playing around with reducing hydration and added a bit of extra yeast to the recipe that I've been using, and the dough ended up being much easier to handle, and had a much better rise, but the inside crumb is really soft and tearable, almost more like an angel food cake.

I wasn't expecting that. Did I underknead, or what?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Does anyone have tips on maintaining a starter? I had something I was pretty happy with, but only need to bake bread like once every ten days or so and was getting sick of feeding it every day, so I shoved it in the fridge and feed it the day before making up the dough, but it's now a lot weaker than it was.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Day 4 of my first starter. Based on this thread I discarded about half of what I had and reduced the feeding to 2oz each of flour and water cause there was way too much. It’s looking bubbly and frothy, but smells STRONGLY cheesy. Is this normal? The guide I was following says it’s ready day 5 to bake.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone have tips on maintaining a starter? I had something I was pretty happy with, but only need to bake bread like once every ten days or so and was getting sick of feeding it every day, so I shoved it in the fridge and feed it the day before making up the dough, but it's now a lot weaker than it was.

You're doing the right thing. Remember: the microbial population will adapt to its environment. It's not so much that a starter is 'weaker' as it is full of slower-growing microbes (for the kind of work we want to do). You're basically doing the right thing. What you might consider is taking a spoon of your starter and mixing it with flour/water the day before you want to bake. Leave that container on your counter overnight. In the morning, do it again, and once it's bubbly, use that to ferment your dough. You want to do a culling and select for the microbes that work faster if you want a faster rise. Even then a lot of sourdoughs will just take a while.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

yoshesque posted:

If your starter is active, but your levain isn't rising, it's possible you're not letting it mature for long enough before using. Times in sourdough are more like a guide, unless you're working at exactly the same temperature as the recipe specifies (as well as using the same starter).

My starter is the King Arthur recipe, originally started mid April using whole wheat flour. Since my house is normally not 70ish all the time I keep it in the cupboard under my sink where there’s a source of warmth. Here’s a temp graph for the past week. The 100f spike is when I tried the oven light method. My oven lights are apparently too good.

Feeding schedule is roughly 9-10:30am ish, 50g starter, 100g AP flour, 100g lukewarm filtered water (shooting for 84ish F)

For example here is JW’s recipe per Babbish: https://basicswithbabish.co/basicsepisodes/sourdough-bread

I take my morning starter stir it all together to distribute evenly. Then I weigh out 35g for the levain, 35g whole wheat, 35g AP, and 70g filtered water. Then I also measure out 50g to continue the starter. For some reason this where everything is going wrong. Should I not stir before feeding?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dacap posted:

Day 4 of my first starter. Based on this thread I discarded about half of what I had and reduced the feeding to 2oz each of flour and water cause there was way too much. It’s looking bubbly and frothy, but smells STRONGLY cheesy. Is this normal? The guide I was following says it’s ready day 5 to bake.

Mine was like that until I dropped the water level some (like 10%) and fed it only once a day, plus making the flower mix 20% milled rye. The bugs love that rye. Transformed it from slovenly to aggressive, it now doubles when kept cold and immediately triples (4-5 hours) on a warm fermented levain.

When it started doubling I fed it after it was well ripened. Make sure you don't feed it too often, I was following the Arthur recipe and that took me 2 weeks.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have never in my life been able to wait the appropriate amount of time to cut open my breads after baking

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Time posted:

I have never in my life been able to wait the appropriate amount of time to cut open my breads after baking

This is normal, make 2!

Also: post/username combo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sourdough sesame bagels.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mediaphage posted:

Sourdough sesame bagels.

These look incredible!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I've been making babby's first basic yeasted loaves.

Tonight I'm gonna try a loaf with 25% teff flour for giggles, will post final results.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Time posted:

These look incredible!

Thanks! Part of a quarantine snack package I am contactless dropping off to neighbours and coworkers. Really pleased with these; gonna make another batch this weekend.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The jump from 70% hydration to 78% hydration made a huge difference in sticky dough. It was stretch and folding beautifully, but drat shaping was a pain. I don’t know if I’m shaping right - I’m just making a boule, and big bubbles start coming up instead of a nice smooth surface.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mediaphage posted:

Thanks! Part of a quarantine snack package I am contactless dropping off to neighbours and coworkers. Really pleased with these; gonna make another batch this weekend.

I have made bagels a decent amount, but always using yeast. what does the process look like when using a levain?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Time posted:

I have made bagels a decent amount, but always using yeast. what does the process look like when using a levain?

Basically the exact same. I didn’t add any diastatic malt so I gave them long ferments to help some of the enzymatic breakdown but that’s about it.

Sourdough cinnamon rolls:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Are doughnuts bread? Well. Sourdough doughnuts, pre-glaze:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Day 5 starter update. After feeding yesterday noticed little to no growth, but woke up this morning to my jar overflowing.

The starter is much looser/more liquid and is very frothy, it’s almost a foam. Smell is still what I would call “cheesy”. Is al this normal? I assume it’s not ready to bake with.

I’ve discarded about 2/3 of the jar and fed with 3 oz of whole wheat and 2 oz of water to try and make the consistency better.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A good way to check is to drop some into water and see if it floats. It sounds ready to me. The cheesy smell doesn't sound right, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it probably won't kill you either way.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

A good way to check is to drop some into water and see if it floats. It sounds ready to me. The cheesy smell doesn't sound right, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it probably won't kill you either way.

Just checked it and it’s risen since my feeding and floats in water. I guess it’s ready? I think I’m hesitant just out of not wanting to waste flour with it less available.

Regarding the smell, it’s much less intense than it was on day 3.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Dacap posted:

Just checked it and it’s risen since my feeding and floats in water. I guess it’s ready? I think I’m hesitant just out of not wanting to waste flour with it less available.

Regarding the smell, it’s much less intense than it was on day 3.

It'll give you bread as long as it's alive, but fermentation times vary with starter activity. Honestly it sounds perfect, I say go ahead and make a bread!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cheesy smells means butyric acid, which probably means clostridium. It’s a common symptom on the step to the ph dropping with the lactic acid bacteria. You can bake with it, you might get parmesan-flavoured bread. Just be careful to wash your hands well (this goes for all sourdough cookery, though).

Doughnuts finished with hibiscus.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
welp my third sourdough loaf attempt went SPECTACULARLY. Wow. This is legitimately top five breads I've ever eaten. The whole wheat turned out really well also.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
The Walrus those look great!

Another weekend, another, well you know..

I think I need to score deeper and a different angle, and bake just a bit longer. Been using a wet bread knife to score but I never get a very good ear to form...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dedian posted:

I think I need to score deeper and a different angle, and bake just a bit longer. Been using a wet bread knife to score but I never get a very good ear to form...

Melon Bread

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

mediaphage posted:

Doughnuts finished with hibiscus.

And here I am, sitting here like a chump, wondering what the gently caress I'm going to do with 12 oz of hibiscus. Is that a standard glaze but made with hibiscus tea as the liquid?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

And here I am, sitting here like a chump, wondering what the gently caress I'm going to do with 12 oz of hibiscus. Is that a standard glaze but made with hibiscus tea as the liquid?

Yup.

I want to say I took around 5g of dried hibiscus, powdered it in a mortar and pestle, mixed it with 40g warm water. Took 250g powdered sugar, mixed it with 40g whole milk (I didn't want to add the hibiscus directly to the dairy for fear of curdling it; hibiscus is very high acidity), then added in the hibiscus liquid (most of the powder went with it but the biggest grains stayed behind in the bowl) and 1-2g of salt, and stirred it all together. Honestly it's delightful and I'm glad I was out of limes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dedian posted:

Beautiful. Have you tried scoring at an angle?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I ordered a pound of saf instant red label instant yeast and they shipped me gold label. I notified the company and they just refunded my money so I might just be stuck with a pound of this. From what I had read this is mostly used for desserts but I don’t bake desserts. Other folks had no problem using it for breads and pizzas. Any experience with this or advice?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bartlebee posted:

I ordered a pound of saf instant red label instant yeast and they shipped me gold label. I notified the company and they just refunded my money so I might just be stuck with a pound of this. From what I had read this is mostly used for desserts but I don’t bake desserts. Other folks had no problem using it for breads and pizzas. Any experience with this or advice?

It will be fine. At worst it might be a bit longer ferment. Gold is designed to be more tolerant of higher sugar doughs, hence desserts (high sugar levels inhibit yeast growth), but it will still ferment standard dough.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I, for the life of me, cannot get a decent rise out of the overnight levain doughs in FWSY. 12 hour bulk ferment, shape, then in proofing baskets for 3-4 hours. finger dent test has some rebound but not fully and the dough is not collapsing. when i shape them using his method they just kind of collapse into the lodge combo cooker and dont spring. I get good tightness in the shaping stage but the second i move them to a basket or even remove them from the basket, they completely lose shape and just expand into a blob. I watched the handling high hydration dough video from sfbi and i think that would help, but I would still like to figure out what i am doing wrong here that is preventing me from getting a rise out of a recipe that a ton of people have success with.

relevant info to help:
78% hydration
72F kitchen
12 hour bulk ferment
4 folds in first 2 hours
3-4 hour proof in bannetons

shaped turning the dough fully, then getting good tension with pulls. transferred to bannetons seem side down (they lose tension immediately here even with swift but mostly careful movement) where they seem to proof well but lose shape the second i transfer them out. I have been transferring them to a floured work surface and then trying to pick them up to put them in the lodge combo cooker and this is usually a huge problem as the dough has turned into a puddle and is hard to pick up even with two hands. should i just turn them out directly onto the cast iron?

edit 2: this sounds like overproofing writing it out, I guess I'll shorten either the bulk or the proof in the basket.

I'm mad at bread. I have baked a lot of things that get an over spring but this particular version of bread is kicking my rear end

Time fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 17, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

When you say rise, you mean oven spring/shape? I’m assuming your dough doubles okay.

A 12 hour bulk and 4 hour proof on the FWSY levain doughs can often be too long if your kitchen is 72F. I just did an overnight country blonde yesterday in a 75F kitchen that went for an 8 hour bulk followed by a two hour proof. The dough came out flat as a pancake so I said “screw it” and actually re-shaped the loaves after pulling them from the banneton each time (just a quick couple of turns to bring back some shape). They wound up coming out really well, with a decent oven spring; maybe 5% smaller than they otherwise would be, but still a serviceable boule. So…

- Try shortening your bulk time. There are lots of complaints online about the long overnight rises in FWSY generating very slack dough in warmer home kitchens.
- If your dough comes out of the banneton very slack, just try a quick reshape (seam side up)

As for how to prevent sticking, I have no idea. I’ve never been able to keep my levains from sticking to my cane bannetons, no matter how much flour I put in there. Maybe someone else knows the secret.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Baguette dough sticks to my couches and literally put me in a bind while trying to separate them. There's a few stripes of dried on dough from where I had to pry them apart.

I had floured the couches by putting them in a giant bin with some flour, shaking the poo poo out of it, pulling them out, and giving them two quick shakes to dust off any particular loose flour (I did this outside). That didn't seem to be enough.

First, now I got this dried on dough. Should I just leave it be or should I try to beat the piss out of these couches to get that stuff off? Next, so what do I really do to make these things work.

Still on the topics of baguettes: they come out a lot more flat than I want. Should I be thinking about baguette pans? I'm thinking that'll help get me that rounder, higher shape beyond just some oven spring. However, I think I ultimately might not want to make baguettes but instead something like hoagies.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dangerllama posted:

When you say rise, you mean oven spring/shape? I’m assuming your dough doubles okay.

A 12 hour bulk and 4 hour proof on the FWSY levain doughs can often be too long if your kitchen is 72F. I just did an overnight country blonde yesterday in a 75F kitchen that went for an 8 hour bulk followed by a two hour proof. The dough came out flat as a pancake so I said “screw it” and actually re-shaped the loaves after pulling them from the banneton each time (just a quick couple of turns to bring back some shape). They wound up coming out really well, with a decent oven spring; maybe 5% smaller than they otherwise would be, but still a serviceable boule. So…

- Try shortening your bulk time. There are lots of complaints online about the long overnight rises in FWSY generating very slack dough in warmer home kitchens.
- If your dough comes out of the banneton very slack, just try a quick reshape (seam side up)

As for how to prevent sticking, I have no idea. I’ve never been able to keep my levains from sticking to my cane bannetons, no matter how much flour I put in there. Maybe someone else knows the secret.

Thank you! I’ll definitely shorten the bulk and proofing stage in the banneton. The dough doubles or triples pretty easily so I’ll cut it down.

Re: it sticking to the banneton - I used to have this problem until I hit them with a light mist of water then put a cup of brown rice flour in them and rotated them until it had spread evenly. Shake them out afterward and nothing will ever stick to them again

Time fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 17, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Baguette dough sticks to my couches and literally put me in a bind while trying to separate them. There's a few stripes of dried on dough from where I had to pry them apart.

They have to be 100% linen and be left pure as it were, if it’s sticking then it’s most likely that rather than the dough.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

learnincurve posted:

They have to be 100% linen and be left pure as it were, if it’s sticking then it’s most likely that rather than the dough.

According to their description:

quote:

Our couche fabric is made of classic, 100% natural flax linen, untreated, unbleached, made in France by Tissage Deren, one of the oldest and most respected specialty manufacturer in France, with its signature red stripe. Often imitated, never duplicated.

I think I previously was muttering about trying to use other clothes and stuff and somebody in the thread laid it out for me, so I got these couches.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

CrazyLittle posted:

I take my morning starter stir it all together to distribute evenly. Then I weigh out 35g for the levain, 35g whole wheat, 35g AP, and 70g filtered water. Then I also measure out 50g to continue the starter. For some reason this where everything is going wrong. Should I not stir before feeding?

Honestly I have no idea what's going on with your levain build lmao. Everything you're doing sounds right, so I can only guess that maybe you're just not giving your levain long enough to get ripe. I personally don't stir down my starter before using but I can't imagine that stirring down would kill your yeast. Sorry :shrug:

About couches, I know that you're not supposed to wash them, but what do you do when it gets mouldy? I bought a linen couche back when I was making baguettes ages back, and when I pulled it out again recently the dough/flour on it was mouldy. I had to wash it after that, and I haven't used it since. I'm pretty sure I let it dry out before storing but is there anything else I should be doing to prevent this next time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
What the heck , ciabatta bread was invented in 1982?