Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Hopes Fall posted:

Other than Beer Cheese soup, Cheddar biscuits, and Mac and Cheese, any pantry-light ideas on how to use up a metric ton of cheddar cheese? My sister sent her husband to the store for groceries, and asked him to grab "a couple blocks of cheese" and he came back with nearly $100 worth of cheese, including 4 5lb blocks of cheddar.

I now own a 5lb block of cheese. I like cheese, but drat.

You can make cheddar crisps basically the same way you'd make parmesan crisps, but they release more oil so you need to be prepared to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

BraveUlysses posted:

Try kenjis green chili recipe. He skips the sear and it's pretty drat good without it.

Thanks for the pointer, and now I guess I know who the Kenji is that gets namedropped here so often. This one I'm betting:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup! It's easy, quick and I like to add some beans at the end to make it more filling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you end up really desperate, I know from experience in cheese-deprived realms that cheese can be frozen without too much damage. Slice into reasonable pieces, wrap it tightly in plastic, stick it in a freezer bag. Cheddar does well this way.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Hopes Fall posted:

My sister sent her husband to the store for groceries, and asked him to grab "a couple blocks of cheese" and he came back with nearly $100 worth of cheese, including 4 5lb blocks of cheddar.

"'Grab enough cheese to feed a couple city blocks,' got it!"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Scallions can be used in place of chives for scallion pancakes.
All of my self-propagated potato onions are bolting so I think I'm going to make pajeon with onion scapes instead of scallions.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If I were to eat nothing but cheddar cheese, how long would it take for me to die of intestinal blockage?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Anybody have an absolutely stupendous cookbook they love that is specifically all cookie recipes? I only have about three genuinely great go-to cookie recipes -- chocolate chip, snickerdoodles, and if I'm feeling very industrious and have the ingredients, anginetti -- and I'd like to expand my repertoire with a bunch of new recipes from a known-good source. I've made other cookie recipes but none of them have been such all-time greats that they've entered the permanent rotation.

I could have sworn we had a cookbook thread, but I couldn't find it, or I would have asked there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
ATK's The Perfect Cookie is exactly what you want https://shop.americastestkitchen.com/the-perfect-cookie-2.html

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

If you end up really desperate, I know from experience in cheese-deprived realms that cheese can be frozen without too much damage. Slice into reasonable pieces, wrap it tightly in plastic, stick it in a freezer bag. Cheddar does well this way.

you can grate from frozen w a really great grater too

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks, that looks great. ATK has the One True Snickerdoodle recipe too, so I have confidence in their cookie book.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you like molasses cookies, theirs is absolutely the platonic ideal :discourse: I really haven't had a miss from that book.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I just finished smoking and slicing a whole pork belly's worth of bacon. It's pretty good stuff, and I have like eight pounds of it now.

Only problem is the recipe called for kosher salt and I ran out about halfway through. I tried to finish it off with a coarse grained sea salt I had handy, but I think it was still a little finer than the kosher stuff and my bacon is just a little bit too salty.

Am I boned? Or can I blanch/soak/adulterate this bacon in some fashion to reduce the saltiness without sacrificing flavor/texture? It's not inedible, I'm still going to wolf down a bunch of it and be happy to do so, but I was gonna give quite a bit to friends and I'd prefer not to have to give it to them with a big ol asterisk that betrays my incompetence.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

guppy posted:

Thanks, that looks great. ATK has the One True Snickerdoodle recipe too, so I have confidence in their cookie book.

I’m not a member, is it possible to share that? I’ve been looking for a great snickerdoodle recipe!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Re: cheese, cauliflower cheese. I made this confit garlic cauliflower cheese for a side at christmas dinner and it was my favourite part of the meal. Would be great with any roast meat.

Also couldn't you make a shitload of cheese sauce and freeze it in portions?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Thanks for the ideas, all!

Eta:

Scientastic posted:

I’m not a member, is it possible to share that? I’ve been looking for a great snickerdoodle recipe!

This isn't an ATK recipe, but I've never gotten a bad batch.

1c room temp butter
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Beat the butter for 30 seconds, add the 1 1/2 c sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. It should be a light yellow. Scrape the bowl every so often. Beat in the eggs (1 at a time) and vanilla. Beat in as much flour as you can (I have a stand mixer, so it all goes in), handing the rest if necessary. Cover with a cloth, and chill in the fridge about an hour.

Preheat the oven to 375

Combine the rest of the sugar and spices in a bowl. I like a broad and shallow one. Roll balls of dough roughly 1 1/4, or Dunkin Donuts Munchkin size. Roll your dough in the sugar mixture to coat. I usually do 3 or 4 at once. Place the dough about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes. They shouldn't be totally dry in the center when you pull them. Load up your next sheet of cookies, (this usually takes me less than 5 minutes) then move the original set to a wire rack to cool.

Perfection every time!

Hopes Fall fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 15, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

SubG posted:

All of my self-propagated potato onions are bolting so I think I'm going to make pajeon with onion scapes instead of scallions.

that sounds delicious and i know this isn't your fault but "potato onion" makes me, etomologically speaking, poo poo myself with fury.

you can't name a vegetable after two different vegetables. that should be a crime.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lemon cucumber

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(flips produce table, storms out of farmers market) THIS PLACE IS A DEN OF LIARS

Hauki
May 11, 2010

garlic chive

pineapple mint

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(clutches chest, keels over, rolls into ravine) sen... sensei... i never... avenged... yooouuuugh-

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
then cherry tomato

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
cucamelon
chocolate mint

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Banana pepper

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Beefsteak tomato

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Alright I am going wild today on new food adventures (I tried kombucha and kimchi for the first time and both were good!) and I am planning to make a thai curry tonight. Someone in the discord was giving me the run down a few days ago, but I want to make sure I understand the process. I have chicken breast or tofu, and I think I'm gonna try with tofu (super firm) unless someone tells me otherwise. Is there anything I need to do to the tofu besides drain it? It's already cubed. I also have green or yellow massaman paste in like a tuna can (maestri brand?)-don't know which I should use. I don't like very hot/spicy stuff but spiced is fine.

So I think what I'm supposed to do is:
Pour oily stuff off top of can of coconut milk and fry some (how much?) curry paste in it
Add the rest of the coconut milk
Add some raw, chopped onions, tofu or chicken (raw or cooked?) maybe some bell peppers, maybe some zucchini? I want to use some young little tender japanese eggplants I have some from my garden too. Should I cook them first or salt them or what?
Add more coconut milk if needed, and let it all simmer until it's all cooked though. Maybe add some fish sauce in there at some point? Garnish with thai basil, and serve over rice.

Does that sound about right or am I missing anything here? Some recipes suggest sauteeing ginger with the paste in the coconut oil but I don't have any. Is that really important?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Ginger is definitely good but there's ginger already in the green curry paste. I like to add big slices at the start and fry them for some different texture. To address your points: you don't need to drain anything from the coconut milk. Just shake the can vigorously before you open it. Tofu is fine as is but bland, it benefits from being marinaded in whatever beforehand but if you don't have time for tonight's dinner that's fine. Aubergine benefits from being sliced and left to sit in salty water for a while before cooking, this helps draw out the moisture from it and being in water stops it from browning.

My general cooking order is frying in peanut oil the firmer vegetables that need more cooking time (carrot, onion, ginger) first for 5 minutes, then adding the ones that need less cooking time later (pepper, courgette I sometimes use, green beans, aubergine would probably be good at this point) and frying for another 5 minutes. Then I add some chopped garlic, chili, and 2 spoons of red or green curry paste, and fry that for a minute or two. Then add the can of coconut milk and simmer for another 10 minutes or so. Chopped coriander goes in at the end, along with a tbsp of fish sauce and a tsp of sugar in red curry.

I also cook like 1/5 of the can of coconut milk in with the thai jasmine rice, it's good. I cook my chicken breast separately and add that to the curry after the coconut milk but you could fry it with everything else from the start.

This is for 2 people.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you like spiced but not spicy definitely go with the yellow massaman paste.

If your can of coconut milk has stood for a while, don't shake it! You get a plug of coconut fat on the top, and you spoon a bit off (not pour, it gets pretty solid) and fry the paste in that. It's okay if it's not super solid of shaken up, though, you can use the coconut milk fine. You can use a bit of oil along with it too.

I'd say use about a tablespoon or two of paste but I usually wing it, it's hard to be precise.

Personally I'd fry the tofu cubes first to give them a bit of bite. If you use chicken it's okay to simmer it in the sauce, cubed chicken cooks pretty fast.

The ginger isn't really important, thai curry paste is plenty spiced and complex on its own.

Here's my usual order of business for a basic thai curry:
- fry paste in coconut fat or oil/coconut fat
- add rest of coconut milk
- bring to a simmer, add fish sauce and kaffir lime leaves (if you have them)
- add your ingredients and let them simmer until done (or heated through if pre-fried tofu)
- add thai basil at the very end, preferrably once you've taken it off the heat

Pro tips:
- a handful of peanuts goes very well with a yellow curry, as does a splash of lime juice (definitely only after it's off the heat)
- hint of brown sugar goes well too. Thai food is all about the balance of sweet/sour/spicy and even bitter flavours. All these additions are basically "to taste".

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Add some raw, chopped onions, tofu or chicken (raw or cooked?)

Your process looks good. I know lots of people cook the chicken IN the curry (I think that's the "correct" way) but I like to pre-cook it and add it at the end. Either way will work.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Scientastic posted:

I'm not either, I got it from a blog.

Dough:

2 1/2 cups AP flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened (I don't actually bother softening it and it's always fine)
8 Tbsp shortening, like Crisco
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs

Cinnamon-sugar coating:

1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Process is pretty standard:

1. Cream butter, shortening, and sugar in a mixer. Add eggs and mix.

2. Stir dry ingredients together, add to mixer bowl, mix on low til combined.

3. Roll into balls, they say 2 Tbsp but I usually make mine smaller. In a separate container, stir together the 1/4 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp of cinnamon and roll the balls in it, then move them to a baking sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat.

4. Bake one sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes until the edges are starting to brown but the centers are still soft. In the cracks on top, the cookies will look under-done. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.

In my opinion, the three keys are the shortening, the cream of tartar, and baking one sheet at a time. I tried the recipe out of the King Arthur Baker's Companion once, and... I love KA, but that recipe is baaaaaaaad. Doesn't taste anything like it should. These taste like my childhood and they have the perfect chewy texture, especially right out of the oven.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
One nice thing about ATK is you can pretty much always find the recipe you want on a blog or, in a pinch, via Google books. Here's the molasses cookie recipe, for example.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
POTENTIALLY STUPID QUESTION:

However I'm learning how to cook and don't know what is cool and what is a really dumb idea.

I've had some luck with my slow cooker. But sometimes I don't quite have enough time to prepare the slow cooker before I have to go to work.

Would it be okay IF:

I prepared everything the night before (IE: Cooked the meat\veggies), put them in the slow cooker, left them overnight, then turned on the slow cooker before I went to work the next day? Or will that introduce me to new and exciting strains of salmonella?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

H13 posted:

POTENTIALLY STUPID QUESTION:

However I'm learning how to cook and don't know what is cool and what is a really dumb idea.

I've had some luck with my slow cooker. But sometimes I don't quite have enough time to prepare the slow cooker before I have to go to work.

Would it be okay IF:

I prepared everything the night before (IE: Cooked the meat\veggies), put them in the slow cooker, left them overnight, then turned on the slow cooker before I went to work the next day? Or will that introduce me to new and exciting strains of salmonella?

uh, don’t do this

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

By "cook the meat / veggies" do you mean searing? And if you want to prep, then refrigerate, then slow cook that sounds fine.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Wait, you're not supposed to use the whole Maesri tins? in a single dish?

also i died and came back to life in my Istar form and are thus immune to the vexations of things named after other things, so cease your relentless prattle, fools! lest i still thy tongues in thousts headses!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Prep/refrigerate/cook isn't recommended. The concern is that if the ceramic insert starts from fridge temp, the food will take too long in the danger zone. I've done it and lived, but you can avoid that risk by fridging it in a ziploc or a different bowl, then just dumping that into the insert in the morning.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought of a better idea that hopefully doesn't involve poisoning myself.

I'm generally using the slow cooker to cook a bunch of sauces which I will then freeze and have good to go.

So what say I prepare it at night, cook it for the 8 hours I am asleep for, wake up, whack it all in the fridge while I'm at work, then freeze it when I get home.

H13 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 16, 2020

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

H13 posted:

I thought of a better idea that hopefully doesn't involve poisoning myself.

I'm generally using the slow cooker to cook a bunch of sauces which I will then freeze and have good to go.

So what say I prepare it at night, cook it for the 8 hours I am asleep for, wake up, whack it all in the fridge while I'm at work, then freeze it when I get home.

That would be fine, assuming there's enough time in the morning for the sauce to cool enough to put in the fridge. You don't want the heat from the sauce messing up your fridge temperature.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there any way to unstick gyoza that have frozen together

I thought they seemed dry so I stuck them in a ziplock and tossed them in the freezer instead of freezing individually on a tray first and now I rue that mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any way to unstick gyoza that have frozen together

I thought they seemed dry so I stuck them in a ziplock and tossed them in the freezer instead of freezing individually on a tray first and now I rue that mistake

Try some steam. Be gentle.