Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

with the caveat that they are all terrible

It could have been so good though. but no, they are all poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The general recommendation for USB3/Thunderbolt docks is the CalDigit TS3+.

For a tiny USB/DisplayPort port without power, I use the HD-500 Continuum dock that came with my Lumia 950XL. It's a general USB3 device, and works fine with my XPS13 and my Surface Go. It's really anemic on power supplied. It's fine for "I have two screens and a couple of USB peripherals that live on my desk", though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Personally, I think this guy is better from Caldigit

https://www.caldigit.com/usb-c-pro-dock/

There's a better port selection and it works as BOTH a USB-C dock and a Thunderbolt dock.

I have one for home, my only issue is that my T480 doesn't like two high res monitors via thunderbolt since they dedicated some display capacity to the onboard HDMI.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Before I left my old job, we were trialing some of the Kensington thunderbolt docks and they were pretty good.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

This. You will be fighting them forever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I used to deploy a StarTech USB-C docking station with every laptop and aside from the one that burst into flames the first time I plugged in the power cable, they all just did their loving job, it was honestly kind of great.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GreenNight posted:

I got one of the new HP USB-C docks and while it's like $175 loving dollars, it actually works great. Once I firmware upgraded it.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-5TW10UT-ABA-USB-C-Dock/dp/B07X69HY5K

I have some other version of this thing and the entire top surface is a giant power button. It's just a huge waste of space and I manage to hit it least once a week, I really hate whoever designed it that way.

edit: this one

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sirotan posted:

I have some other version of this thing and the entire top surface is a giant power button. It's just a huge waste of space and I manage to hit it least once a week, I really hate whoever designed it that way.

I have one of those on my desk behind me and yeah I agree. This thing sucked rear end before the latest firmware too, nothing but DP issues. But it works fine now if you don't hit the power all the time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Mine is like that except it also has a speakerphone and call control buttons on the top

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I have an HP one like that for working from home, but smaller and with a tiny power button. It's been totally fine, except my monitor doesn't work at 144hz over USBC and it makes me more upset than it should.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

Bold of them to have the logo basically be flipping you off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I miss the old HP side docks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like the new hp logo. it's like 1-off from being loss.jpg

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We switched to Latitudes and USB-C docks, and I'm really hoping to just hold on to my Thinkpad 480 for a couple more years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do have a also have a Visiontek USB-C dock to go with my Caldigt TB-3 dock that I linked above as I use the Visiontek with my work notebook. It has displaylink which actually lets me run my 4k monitor and a 1440 monitor at 60hz which the T480 cannot do over thunderbolt.

It does chew through some CPU cycles for the display compression, but it's been pretty stable so far and I can still use the notebook's screen as well so I have a 1080p notebook screen, 1440p main monitor and 4k secondary monitor. So, I have ALL the desktop space for work. I really wish the T480 didn't have an HDMI port as all the display lanes could have been dedicated to the displayport out via Thunderbolt and I could run both monitors at 60hz.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Fool posted:

My CalDigit TS3 is great!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

Mine is like that except it also has a speakerphone and call control buttons on the top

What model is that which has the phone and call control buttons? If you don't mind.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kensei posted:

What model is that which has the phone and call control buttons? If you don't mind.

Thunderbolt 120w G2 with Audio

3YE87AA

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
When these were new tech a VIP wanted one for 3 monitors and it just wouldn't loving work.

Dell actually recalled the TB15 entirely, didn't stop the VIP from talking poo poo though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I had the TB15 and tried to use it with my XPS 15 9550. It went back to dell. Terrible device.

The XPS 15 9550 has another issue that if you have the wifi module turned up to full power it will reset the TB controller under high network load, that was fun to figure out.

Meanwhile my XPS 13 2:1 (2019 Ice Lake) works flawlessly with my Caldigit TB3 dock. I can drive my 1440p monitor at 144hz, my 4k monitor at 60hz and the internal 1080p display with a single connection.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Anybody else having issues with their users using Teams in context of a meeting platform? It certainly isn't intuitive, but I've gotten complaints of performance issues in context of video dropping, or where the meeting freezes for like 30 seconds for all participants.

Teams is a great platform and totally our future of collaboration, but goddamn it's hard to push people off of Zoom when performance is inconsistent.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've used both Teams and Zoom... I'm slightly preferential to Teams just because of the persistent messaging capabilities. You can even send pre-formatted text! :haw:

The weirdest thing about Teams is how you get messages from meeting you haven't joined. That's the most bizarre and aggravating design decision. You can't even have it off by default.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

klosterdev posted:

Anybody else having issues with their users using Teams in context of a meeting platform? It certainly isn't intuitive, but I've gotten complaints of performance issues in context of video dropping, or where the meeting freezes for like 30 seconds for all participants.

Teams is a great platform and totally our future of collaboration, but goddamn it's hard to push people off of Zoom when performance is inconsistent.

Try turning off GPU acceleration and read receipts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skooma512 posted:

When these were new tech a VIP wanted one for 3 monitors and it just wouldn't loving work.

Dell actually recalled the TB15 entirely, didn't stop the VIP from talking poo poo though.

I hate these people. Get a loving desktop.

"So I just got the new MacBook Air I need to run seven monitors also i only want to use one cable thanks for the tips guys" :downs:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

My CalDigit TS3 is great!

gently caress yes it is.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Podima posted:

Bold of them to have the logo basically be flipping you off.

lmao, I never saw this but now I'll never be able to unsee it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Does the fan in yours run all the loving time even when your laptop is doing nothing??

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

"So I just got the new MacBook Air I need to run seven monitors also i only want to use one cable thanks for the tips guys" :downs:

This is really the answer. If you want five displays and to work from home then you should be permanent WFH and on a desktop.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's pretty cool that you can do that stuff though :shrug:

(says the person who doesn't need to do IT for anyone's laptops)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Buff Hardback posted:

Before I left my old job, we were trialing some of the Kensington thunderbolt docks and they were pretty good.

I don't like that the Kensington requires a USB-C display adapter if you want to run two monitors. The whole point is to minimize dongles you fucks. Just put a DisplayPort on there.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I had the TB15 and tried to use it with my XPS 15 9550. It went back to dell. Terrible device.

The XPS 15 9550 has another issue that if you have the wifi module turned up to full power it will reset the TB controller under high network load, that was fun to figure out.

Meanwhile my XPS 13 2:1 (2019 Ice Lake) works flawlessly with my Caldigit TB3 dock. I can drive my 1440p monitor at 144hz, my 4k monitor at 60hz and the internal 1080p display with a single connection.

We've actually switched to using the Lenovo USB-C docks on both Dell and Lenovo over all the display issues we've had with the loving Dell docks. the WD19 isn't much better than the WD15. The Lenovo dock has been solid. And neither will work with our Macs for two external displays, unless you want to mirror them. I'll see about getting one of the CalDigit ones in for testing with the Macs. I like the port arrangement.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mattfl posted:

Does the fan in yours run all the loving time even when your laptop is doing nothing??

I finally just brought this thing home from my office last week and set it up, and it isn't until you said so that I realized the loud fan noise I was hearing now was the drat docking station and not my laptop. So yes, yes it does.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I finally just brought this thing home from my office last week and set it up, and it isn't until you said so that I realized the loud fan noise I was hearing now was the drat docking station and not my laptop. So yes, yes it does.

Excellent! Working as intended then lol

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have hated every docking station and port replicator I have ever used, generic and name-brand.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone have any good advice on how to convince a junior engineer or non-technical manager that despite it not being documented Windows is going to have all sorts of warnings, errors, etc. written in the Event Log that are completely useless or normal yet the machine is still in good health?

Transitive errors - a connection is interrupted for a split millisecond but doesn't actually impact anything but still reported is the best analogy I'm able to make off the top my head. Essentially, what I want to communicate is that picking through Windows Event Viewer may lead you on a wild goose chase.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes. If they won't just listen to you, let them go on wild goose chases until they figure it out. Just tell them not to bother you or anyone else about them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bob Morales posted:

More monitor more productive :downs:

Meanwhile I use the gently caress out of computers and actually have attention issues, still prefer just one monitor, even though I have access to several.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes. If they won't just listen to you, let them go on wild goose chases until they figure it out. Just tell them not to bother you or anyone else about them.

"Come back to me when you can explain to me what the error means in its context, what problem it's causing or future problem its predicting, and what you propose doing to resolve it."

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Does anyone have any good advice on how to convince a junior engineer or non-technical manager that despite it not being documented Windows is going to have all sorts of warnings, errors, etc. written in the Event Log that are completely useless or normal yet the machine is still in good health?

Show them jim sterlings browning (or any other youtube doing the same thing) 'it scam expose' videos where part of the script is 'oh lol look at any old error message that pops up in windows event viewer, now give us access and 2000$ to hack your computer and lock you out of it for ransom'.

When a dumb mistake is monetized as one of the most common it scams scam is the breaking point when you can point a finger and say 'you are dumb'

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 16, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You meant Jim Browning, right? I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ugn, yes, that's the one. Thanks for the correction