Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Decided to go for Whitemare before Hellbound. I'm still a little unsure about the weaponset, but I think I've gotten into its groove. I do like the gravity affected fireballs on the SSG, it lets me get shots at enemies from safe angles. Level-wise, I'm only at Map08. I thought the first 2 or 3 levels were kinda lovely, but 4 on have been pretty good. Although, what was Map07? I get it's a Dead Simple reference, but it's so... simple. A little cramped, sure, but only six enemies? I was trying to figure out how it was going to gently caress me even though I'd killed them all, but nope, it's super short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I've recently fallen into a bit of a 451 game hole and am faced with a great shame. Though I have played both Deus Ex and System Shock 2 many times, I've never beaten either of them. So, I figure I might as well do that. Just two questions:

Which one is shorter, generally speaking? I'm guessing SS2 just because Deus Ex has a lot more dialogue trees iirc. This is mostly for deciding which one to play first, so I could also flip a coin if there's not much of a difference.

How much work does it take to get them running smoothly on modern systems with widescreen? I have the Steam versions if that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure I remember Deus Ex being fine out of the box last time I played it, which was several years ago. And I definitely remember SS2 having some quirks with the prerendered cutscenes in the beginning, but I don't think there were significant problems in game. That was also a while back, so I figured I'd check.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

For System Shock 2, use the NewDark patch. For Deus Ex, I used the DX10 Renderer (I think, there's a couple and I don't think there's much difference besides the DX10 one having more options) and a new launcher. I think, it's been a while, that SS2 is shorter than Deus Ex, but don't quote me on that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
SS2 died on modern systems first so it got a good standalone treatment, that's how I played it back in the day (widescreen high textures etc). DX has steam binaries but getting vanilla working widescreen I have no idea about.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Deus Ex mostly works fine on modern systems, though it's got the Unreal 1 issue were the hud is hard scaled for 640x480 so it can be a little difficult to read on modern systems. The Kentie launcher and DX10 renderer plugin will fix this issue and add a few other nice fixes to make the game easier to play.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 14, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Weak violence? I remember it being about on par with 2 and Rage Wars, but it's definitely been a while.

Have a look at a playthrough barely any feed back and effectively no gore except some weapons which make heads vanish, bodies just ghost out and return to their home planet straight away.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thanks guys. I'll probably start with SS2 since I just played through Bioshock over the weekend. It looks like the Newdark patch is already added into the Steam version, too, so that's even easier.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Aren't Night Dive currently working on a SS2 remaster? You may want to wait for that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ooh, Map08 of Whitemare wore out its welcome very quickly. Lots of bullshit dark corridors, lots of enemies shooting at you from across that map (and the Whitemare weaponset does not have a lot of hitscan weapons, which makes them even more of a pain), very little health, loving revenant traps, a number of small switches that are easy to miss so you wander around an arena wondering where the last one is... I was salty as gently caress by the time I finished it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 14, 2020

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Flannelette posted:

Even the Gamecube Turok game is better.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

catlord posted:

Ooh, Map08 of Whitemare wore out its welcome very quickly. Lots of bullshit dark corridors, lots of enemies shooting at you from across that map (and the Whitemare weaponset does not have a lot of hitscan weapons, which makes them even more of a pain), very little health, loving revenant traps, a number of small switches that are easy to miss so you wander around an arena wondering where the last one is... I was salty as gently caress by the time I finished it.

I also tried Whitemare 2 because Final Doomer weaponset, but it never clicked with me especially.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another good-rear end megawad has been let into the console-port gated community.

https://twitter.com/jamespaddock/status/1260949067775053827

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Another good-rear end megawad has been let into the console-port gated community.

https://twitter.com/jamespaddock/status/1260949067775053827

what a time to be alive

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Holy crap my Limited Run System Shock collectors edition thing finally shipped. That's cool since, y'know, I ordered it in, let's see, NOVEMBER. (edit: worse, it was october) I don't have the best phone but I'll snap some pics when it shows up.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 14, 2020

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Whatever happened to loving Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? That game was loving amazing and then it just... died?
I'd love to replay that again, I think it had bot support too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRoyBgmKXt0&t=11s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBm1jWchEqY

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Deakul posted:

Whatever happened to loving Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? That game was loving amazing and then it just... died?

Orange Box came out like two weeks later and Team Fortress 2 murdered it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Deakul posted:

It kinda ran like poo poo because idtech was an awful engine in the years between Doom 3 and Doom Eternal and the maps weren't very good. Most people kinda wrote it off as bad Battlefield 2142.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Since then it's turned out a bad 2142 is still better than anything else on the market (also that's not entirely fair anyway, since Quake Wars had more interesting classes and the structure stuff).

I miss 2142.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
This is too well made to not post here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQGcyHUVskU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Deakul posted:

The demo did at least, I played the poo poo out of the demo against bots. I enjoyed it.

Whitemare swings wildly from decent levels, decent but unusually short levels, and absolute horseshit. Map11 and 12 were a loving one-two punch to the balls in lovely, unfun design, holy poo poo.

Turin Turambar posted:

I also tried Whitemare 2 because Final Doomer weaponset, but it never clicked with me especially.

I'm close to finishing 1, but I'm starting to get a little wary about moving on to 2.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I enjoyed the quake wars demo so I bought the full thing and found out that the only thing I enjoyed was the demo map and playing whatever the strogg recon class was called on it. Everything else was bad. Then TF2 happened.

Then I preordered Brink like a sucker. Never again, splash damage.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Orange Box came out like two weeks later and Team Fortress 2 murdered it.

Of course getting murdered by Team Fortress 2 is nothing to be ashamed of

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Forced myself to finish Whitemare. I bet you can't guess what I thought of it. I cheated myself some health in Map15 because the end of the last map forced me into starting it with 10 health, and frankly, after finding, I think, 3 stimpacks in the opening, gently caress that. Maps 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10 were decent, if not great. All the others were trash. I think 5, The Ancient Mysteries, was the best of the lot. It had infinitely tall actors forced on I guess, which hosed me a couple times, like once when I tried to get into an arena but got caught up on a mob of demons immediately below to edge. Too many dark corridors with enemies, generally chaingunners, hiding in them, far too often too few supplies, revenants out the rear end, sometimes accompanied by and archvile or two. Bleh.

As for the FinalDoomer weaponset, I kinda liked it, though it kinda felt weak and... I guess esoteric. I only used the thermal suit a couple times, partly because I only fully filled the meter up a few times (I think it drains if it's not maxed out, which made some of the levels, like Map08, worse as I wandered around trying to find the last switch or two and watched my meter slowly drain away. It's one thing to know you're wasting time on a switch hunt, it's another to have something there to remind you). The thrust of the set being lighting your enemies on fire is a good one, but it never felt terribly satisfying. It doesn't really deal that much damage, though I suppose it increases the more you shoot it, but that means that you just keep on shooting it and kill them that way. The flames turn blue, presumably dealing maximum damage, but the only enemies that you can build up to blue flames are tough and don't notice the miniscule amount of damage anyways. I think it's probably the least satisfying of the weaponsets so far, and I hope it gets some more tweaks.

I'm probably going to skip Whitemare 2 and go for Hellbound next.

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 15, 2020

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

The only thing I've played that was close the 2142 was Planetside 2, and that was lacking critical cool features until very recently.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
2142 is still the best Battlefield game by a country mile. As much as I'd kill to see it remade in a modern engine, I don't trust present-day Dice to not gently caress it up. :(

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Lemon-Lime posted:

2142 is still the best Battlefield game by a country mile. As much as I'd kill to see it remade in a modern engine, I don't trust present-day Dice to not gently caress it up. :(

GOOD NEWS! A newer equivalent has existed for years and actually still has a fairly dedicated, if small, player base. It's called Angels Fall first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73nvWCXzQE

Combined arms ground fights with vehicles? You got it.
Mechs? Yes.
Space Combat with starfighters and bombers? Yes.
Combined Arms space fights with player controlled frigates and capital ships WITH internal crew manuevering, including breaching ships to attack ships as infantry? Absolutely yes.

It's only serious issue is the menu UIs are clunky as all get out, but if you can get past that it is bar none the best combined arms game out there. It will definitely scratch that itch. It's also basically still in development, but the team is small and so updates are far between usually. IT IS infact, still being worked on, unlike most Early Access games, and has a ton of maps and a few dedicated official servers and player servers running usually. The bots are also pretty good too!
Alternatively, there's the free player driven servers for 2142, and they're still plenty active as of this writing.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 15, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Angels Fall First has been effectively in development for 15 years now, so I don't think it's ever going to hit 1.0.

Even if it does, it will never hit healthy playercounts as a MP-only indie title, unlike a Battlefield game. :rip:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
You can actually get into a nearly full server usually on friday/saturday (US/EU respectively, though I forget which is which. they usually announce on their discord)
If they had no players, they wouldn't have released a brand new map last month, nor would they have made some major updates for the network stability.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Diabetes Forecast posted:

GOOD NEWS! A newer equivalent has existed for years and actually still has a fairly dedicated, if small, player base. It's called Angels Fall first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73nvWCXzQE

Combined arms ground fights with vehicles? You got it.
Mechs? Yes.
Space Combat with starfighters and bombers? Yes.
Combined Arms space fights with player controlled frigates and capital ships WITH internal crew manuevering, including breaching ships to attack ships as infantry? Absolutely yes.

It's only serious issue is the menu UIs are clunky as all get out, but if you can get past that it is bar none the best combined arms game out there. It will definitely scratch that itch. It's also basically still in development, but the team is small and so updates are far between usually. IT IS infact, still being worked on, unlike most Early Access games, and has a ton of maps and a few dedicated official servers and player servers running usually. The bots are also pretty good too!
Alternatively, there's the free player driven servers for 2142, and they're still plenty active as of this writing.

Well guess I'm going to have to give that a try

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ya know that looks pretty cool I’m shocked I’ve never heard of it. I’ve been goofing around in Planetside recently try to scratch that large scale combined arms multiplayer itch, but I’ll give Angels Fall a look as well.

Its sad how near dead that genre is though. For the longest time it was literally only Battlefield but that franchise has been effectively run to the ground :rip:

I remember back in 2006-2007 you had Battlefield, Joint Operations, Enemy Territory, Planetside, Battlefront, hell even Call of Duty UO had vehicles in MP.
Felt like large scale combined arms, tactical multiplayer was the future.

Then CoD4 came out and welp.

Also anyone ever play Ravenfield the art style looks intriguing and the gameplay is Battlefield-esq

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/T19gs/status/1261289610518294531

Hell Hunt demo is out. Haven't played yet, will soon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Gonna check it out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Eh, it's all right but that's about all. I assume it's still early in development so stuff like weird movement and lack of hitstun might be added but still. These types of games live and die by their map design, and what's there isn't amazing, aesthetically or mechanically. It's got this overly "rectangular" look that I hate and see a lot of in these sort of also-ran throwback shooters and it's even more visually monotone than DUSK. Which is a problem when both levels are fairly labyrinthine, it all blends together. Guns are overly-standard with some really atrocious melee (like I said, fixable) and the supershotgun has a great reload animation but feels a little undertuned, and its enemy roster has nothing to recommend.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So turning is weird. And jutters. And there's reloading, but no button to reload as far as I can tell, you just have to bottom out the magazine, and there's no gauge to tell you how much ammo is left before you have to reload, just how much you have total, and the movement is off, and...

It needs more time in the oven. I don't even know if there's promise here, it's just too rough to tell.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So turning is weird. And jutters. And there's reloading, but no button to reload as far as I can tell, you just have to bottom out the magazine, and there's no gauge to tell you how much ammo is left before you have to reload, just how much you have total, and the movement is off, and...

It needs more time in the oven. I don't even know if there's promise here, it's just too rough to tell.

I *think* only the pistols need to reload but yeah, it's a bad choice. And I agree that the movement's off but that's one of those things I put down to WIP. Speaking of movement, I forgot to mention that the dash is bad. It's both too fast that it's disorienting and too short to be very useful. Plus the only ranged enemy I ran into before quitting seems essentially hitscan so you can't dodge its shots with it.

E: Also missed how to throw sword

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What you guys don't like Duke Nukem pistol?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yeah it's janky but I had fun with it. It's just one guy working on it, I hope the New Blood dudes pick him up and help him out, that'd be dope.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I hope the New Blood dudes pick him up and help him out, that'd be dope.
I think Oshry's said that they're gonna lay off the retro FPSes for a while. And also off pretty much everything for a while since their plate is more than full. But Oshry's also a creature of whimsy and/or cocaine elemental so this might change at any given moment.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

al-azad posted:

What you guys don't like Duke Nukem pistol?

And the Unreal pistol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will admit it, I hate the Duke Nukem pistol