Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

I decided to check out Sundered on steam as it was only £3, but I hate the flow of the game because the map system seems needlessly confusing - it only shows you parts of the map at a time so it's easy to forget where you've been, and the fact that enemies don't stop spawning is really frustrating, especially when trying to platform and seeing massive lasers start to take aim.

I really liked Sundered, but it definitely takes some time to get used to all of its quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Speaking of Red dead

In RDR1 Your dead eye skill levels up as you progress through

Level one - slow down time and fire manually

Level two - mark spots on enemy manually and the protagonist rapidly fires at all at the end of deadeye

Level three -spots are automatically marked as you drag your reticle over an enemy
Reticle on the left side of someone's body and want to shoot their right hand? Prepare to drag 3 targeting points across their body and maybe now miss their hand

Level two is objectively better that there, and level three is definitely more annoying than one. Being able to paint targets selectively is just more fun than the game deciding where you should shoot, especially in a game that indulges in the "shoot the guns out of their hands" fantasy

And to progress the story you need to upgrade your deadeye to a less fun version of it with no way to select which one you liked more

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

ForbiddenSock posted:

Borderlands 3: It had TIGHT AND AWESOME GAMEPLAY and the first quarter of it was goddamn FIRE.

But as time progressed I found that my raging erection for the game began to shrivel and fade in the wake of the story. Namely that main characters get killed off in ways that do not really work relative to the strength they possessed, really cool plot lines with the villains that had potential did not get hashed out as much as they could, and they take away your achievements in every cut scene.

Everytime I approached a super cool boss fight it was always "Vault hunter we need you HALP PLS TO HALP" then a cutscene steals my win, kill, or takes away the win by letting some character I like get the poo poo kicked out of them to force the plot to move forward.

On the bright side I did like how they built up some of the side characters and companies. The relationship between sir Hammerlock and Jacobs was really wholesome and I would have enjoyed learning more about them if the Jacobs swamp area was a little less frustrating to drive around. The graphics were also incredible for what it was and the option to use two skills instead of grenades really makes you feel like a badass when you select a good combo.

The villains are constantly harassing you, popping in just to ruin your day, and forcing you to take the long way around. Every time you eke out a grueling win, they no-sell it and just walk away bored, or it turns out that you were inadvertently helping them. The writers clearly wanted to replicate what they thought people liked about Handsome Jack, but it's so overdone that you're stuck in the role of Wile E. Coyote for a 40-hour campaign.

Also Tiny Tina has not gotten any less abrasive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

I think Injustice is a better series to get into if you want to start getting back into that corner of fighting games.

I've got to get around to trying that again, because last time it was just after I'd been playing MK9 and the controls were similar but just different enough that I couldn't get my head around them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The villains are constantly harassing you, popping in just to ruin your day, and forcing you to take the long way around. Every time you eke out a grueling win, they no-sell it and just walk away bored, or it turns out that you were inadvertently helping them

this cliche drives me absolutely batshit and is at least half the reason why i can't get into the Trails jrpg's that so many people rave about

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In BL3 at least half the time the villains were making it up in order to avoid losing face. They pretended that this was what they planned all along even when it wasn't.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's absolutely the laziest way to write a smart villain by just effectively making them omniscient.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Those villains are always garbage cause its like why the gently caress do I even try. Happens one time? Sure, ok, I can be be a maroon once. But when the villain is coming in and "Oh you idiot you thought I wouldn't see that coming" or "Oh good I wanted that to happen" or "Pft I already got like 20 more contingencies plans"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Revisiting the first two Bioshock games and the audio mixing is bugging me. Dialogue over the radio/audio logs is way louder than dialogue in the actual environment, even when the splicer talking is close enough to get wrenched. This is especially annoying in 2, since the Little Sisters have a bunch of creepy things to say about stuff around you, but even when they're literally sitting on your shoulder they still sound like they're across the room. I'll turn the volume up to try to hear what two splicers are arguing about and nearly get my ears blown out when Sinclair calls me up to remind me what my objective is. You're not gonna drown if I waste time to hear incidental ramblings, Sinclair, you have plot stuff to do in the next level.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leal posted:

Those villains are always garbage cause its like why the gently caress do I even try. Happens one time? Sure, ok, I can be be a maroon once. But when the villain is coming in and "Oh you idiot you thought I wouldn't see that coming" or "Oh good I wanted that to happen" or "Pft I already got like 20 more contingencies plans"

It's actually kind of weird that this mistake came from Borderlands. Not that I think Borderlands is a fantastically written series, but because Handsome Jack from 2 is my go-to example for how to do this right. You have to break through that impervious facade sometimes, actually piss them off, which actually feels more important than if you take out something of value.

It was something that really annoyed my about FFXIV's latest expansion. The final villain (I wouldn't say the primary one so much as 'the one that dies last') just has one emotion of 'sad, smug bastard', and literally does not divert from it, ever, so it never feels like you actually impacted him.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:35 on May 14, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Leal posted:

Even more aggravating in a *Assassins* Creed game, where your entire campaign goal is to put a bullet or blade into that rear end in a top hat's skull. When player is in control, you can leap like 10m straight up no sweat and fight the entire colonial army at the same time if choose to do so.

Every time the game takes away control and puts you into a cut scene your character becomes a massive loser who is completely unable to do anything but sob or growl at the motherfucker who is *right* *there* taunting you like five meters away with maybe one or two bodyguards who stand well back.

To this day I still cannot understand what the gently caress were they thinking with AC3 and more recently, why did they bothered to HD remaster that turd of a sequel.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Man, AC3 is full of bad little things. It's fun to climb trees, but it's more realistic than later entries so there aren't enough parkour paths to feel worth it. The viewpoints don't reveal the entire map, so you have to explore, but there's not a lot to find. Connor has a legitimate grievance at the heart of his character, but he's as interesting as a bowl of unflavored oatmeal and he trips over his robes (narratively) a lot.

Assassin's Creed III: Local Man Ruins Everything

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Haytham was a really fun character and I was annoyed that you got to play as him for the first like 45 minutes and then spent the rest of the game with the most boring protagonist the series has ever had. Give Haytham his own game

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Haytham was a really fun character and I was annoyed that you got to play as him for the first like 45 minutes and then spent the rest of the game with the most boring protagonist the series has ever had. Give Haytham his own game

They should have gone all the way with Charles Lee by having him consistently nuts throughout the game and Haytham just being totally blind to it. Charles going on rants about "WE NEED TO KILL EVERYONE IN THE WORLD!" and Haytham's just like "What a nice man... :downs:"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I have no idea why everyone loves Haytham so much beyond "cool hat" and "not Connor". Dude might as well be named John Videogames for the section you play as him.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Mods please update my username to John Videogames

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Please, Mr Videogames is my father. Call me John.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And no, that's just a coincidence. He was a blacksmith, and a drat good one.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I have no idea why everyone loves Haytham so much beyond "cool hat" and "not Connor". Dude might as well be named John Videogames for the section you play as him.

I think Connor was so bland that it made Haytham look good in comparison

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

That's already two things more than what Connor has going on for himself.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crowetron posted:

Revisiting the first two Bioshock games and the audio mixing is bugging me. Dialogue over the radio/audio logs is way louder than dialogue in the actual environment, even when the splicer talking is close enough to get wrenched. This is especially annoying in 2, since the Little Sisters have a bunch of creepy things to say about stuff around you, but even when they're literally sitting on your shoulder they still sound like they're across the room. I'll turn the volume up to try to hear what two splicers are arguing about and nearly get my ears blown out when Sinclair calls me up to remind me what my objective is. You're not gonna drown if I waste time to hear incidental ramblings, Sinclair, you have plot stuff to do in the next level.

If you're playing the remasters, they infamously had tons of audio problems that as I understand it were only mostly fixed at best.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

That's already two things more than what Connor has going on for himself.

But is he interesting in his own right? I think everyone just hated Connor so much they convinced themselves Haytham was cool and good instead of just a generic videogame protagonist man.

I think the problems with Connor were:

1. By all means he should have considered the American revolutionaries his enemies but Ubisoft didn't want to make a game where you kill George Washington, so Connor's actions and motivations make no sense.

2. Even not counting the story the game was just kind of bad.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Haytham is interesting if you read the novel adaptation of AC3. He got recruited into the Templar order after his dad died (who had trained him to be an Assassin), and there was some tension between the two sides of his life. Maybe that's why he likes Shay, because they have something in common.

But none of this is expressed in the primary sources, so gently caress it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

But is he interesting in his own right? I think everyone just hated Connor so much they convinced themselves Haytham was cool and good instead of just a generic videogame protagonist man.

1. By all means he should have considered the American revolutionaries his enemies but Ubisoft didn't want to make a game where you kill George Washington, so Connor's actions and motivations make no sense.

Yes, and I'd add

3. Cut-scene Connor is very incompetent and bad at his job, something that none of the previous PCs, ones in the games after him or Haytham were. Some say that this was especially bad originally, when your only other comparison to Connor was Ezio, but 6 games later I still think Connor is the so-far worst PC with the possible exception of Unity guy since I have not played that one.

4. Several story missions start or end with the "Connor fucks up something and the big bads escape" so now fix it. Why bother, since it is apparent that nothing the player does matters, as mentioned on BL3 chat before.

5. The short part with Haytham is mostly around larger city and places with people. When we get to Connor, the maps for a long time are empty wilderness, dirt farms and hovels. So we initially get introduced into a very boring character but luckily we get very boring regions and maps to compensate.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:02 on May 14, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

5. The short part with Haytham is mostly around larger city and places with people. When we get to Connor, the maps for a long time are empty wilderness, dirt farms and hovels. So we initially get introduced into a very boring character but luckily we get very boring regions and maps to compensate.

As well as that, when you start with Connor you've basically finished the tutorial, and then you immediately get dumped into a new, worse, tutorial for some inexplicable reason. The Haytham tutorial is stuff like "fight this guy", "sneak up to an assassinate this guy" and then the Connor tutorial is stuff like "play hide-and-seek with these kids" and "air-assassinate three rabbits"

Qwertycoatl has a new favorite as of 21:05 on May 14, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Regardless of the character, the forestry aspect of AC3 was underwhelming. After the incredible cities of the Ezio games I could not give two shits about ye olde Boston or wherever so I wanted to be in the forest more but the tree canopy and network of branches was not nearly as comprehensive as I expected. Seems like I spent more time in the forest hunting than fighting enemies.

Speaking of, was that the first AC game that had hunting? Finding and killing animals has been one of my least favourite gameplay elements of the series.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I finished MO Astray yesterday, and I've been trying to think what was the thing dragging it down for me, and I believe I just figured it out.

- It has a health system, and you can get more max health with collectibles, but it hardly matters outside bosses as most hazards will insta-kill you, and the danger with the things that won't is usually the possibility of them knocking you into an insta-kill hazard. At least some of the boss fights were fun, and it felt the health system had a purpose for a bit.

- The physics feel just a bit too strict for my taste, the air friction seemed to stop me before I expected it to quite a few times.

But those aren't actually the issue. They're kind of annoying but very minor and wouldn't explain my dislike for the game towards the end. And the second point is purely on me so not really something to hold against the game.

Then it hit me, when I realized where I really started getting tired of the game.

(some big spoilers ahead)

I realized that I wanted the game to just end when I finished the part where you're in a mech. The controls were kind of clunky, it didn't feel as cool as I expect they wanted it to, but eh, at least with the very generous checkpointing I could get through it quickly enough. But what it showed is that all this time they could have done what I was expecting them to do from the start, but didn't, which is to let you actually do nifty things with the creatures you jump onto. Sure, you can walk slowly, you can press a button or pull a lever here and there, but you can't say throw a spear or fly around or shoot missiles when you jump onto those defense system bots etc etc, and that really sucks! There's so much I was hoping to be able to do eventually, but besides that one mech there was nothing of the sort.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Moon Monster posted:

There’s his big falling out with Washington and his realization that even though he helped them win Independence his people still get pushed out and slavery keeps on going but the first one happens in the endgame and the last two in the post-game so none of it really has a chance to breathe.

Connor was much more engaging in the Homestead quests imo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Probably doesn’t help that you can get the conversation where he tells Washington how disappointed he is, and then immediately start playing Bocce with him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lobok posted:

Regardless of the character, the forestry aspect of AC3 was underwhelming. After the incredible cities of the Ezio games I could not give two shits about ye olde Boston or wherever so I wanted to be in the forest more but the tree canopy and network of branches was not nearly as comprehensive as I expected. Seems like I spent more time in the forest hunting than fighting enemies.

Speaking of, was that the first AC game that had hunting? Finding and killing animals has been one of my least favourite gameplay elements of the series.

Yeah, setting the game in Boston and New York before there was any particularly interesting architecture to climb around on certainly was a choice. I don't think AC1 or the Ezio Trilogy had hunting, but those games had a lot of stuff and its been awhile.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

They stick to actual history in the main game, so unless you want him to be the guy doing too much bloodletting, their hands were tied there... but they made alternate history DLC where you kill the poo poo out of him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know Mafia III's a Big Serious Game and all, but how is it legal to make an open world crime adventure where drivers refuse to move if you're standing on their car :sigh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i dug AC3 but it's true that Connor was more enjoyable as a protagonist in side missions than the main game. The last scene with Charles Lee kicked rear end though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jestery posted:

Speaking of Red dead

In RDR1 Your dead eye skill levels up as you progress through

Level one - slow down time and fire manually

Level two - mark spots on enemy manually and the protagonist rapidly fires at all at the end of deadeye

Level three -spots are automatically marked as you drag your reticle over an enemy
Reticle on the left side of someone's body and want to shoot their right hand? Prepare to drag 3 targeting points across their body and maybe now miss their hand

Level two is objectively better that there, and level three is definitely more annoying than one. Being able to paint targets selectively is just more fun than the game deciding where you should shoot, especially in a game that indulges in the "shoot the guns out of their hands" fantasy

And to progress the story you need to upgrade your deadeye to a less fun version of it with no way to select which one you liked more

Thankfully RDR2 fixes this and reverses the order, probably because they got a lot of complaints about it. All of the dead eye upgrades past manually picking targets are focused around highlighting weak spots and other utility stuff like that. My favorite change is to the third level, which makes you stay in dead eye if you shoot without painting targets, so you can use it like Max Payne's bullet time if you want.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:27 on May 15, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chimera Squad is a fun game with cool ideas different from the core xcom gameplay but I'm bored of it. The problem is the content of the metagame stuff absolutely runs out before the end if you're totally on top of things. Then your dudes become insanely good but that makes the difficulty fall off a cliff so the game feels a little rote. The gameplay isn't paced well, essentially.

It was a lot of fun for 15 bucks though and I definitely got my money's worth!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I really want to install gtav but looking at 48 hours of download time minimum is killing that feeling.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Epic is so bad at speeds

I gave up after three hours and ten percent, aborted it, and installed Mankind Divided off Steam, and it took maybe an hour

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bony tony posted:

Epic is so bad at speeds

I gave up after three hours and ten percent, aborted it, and installed Mankind Divided off Steam, and it took maybe an hour

48 hours was based off my steam speeds. If epic is even slower then I really don't think I'll bother

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm on fiber, and I peaked at 9 mb/s. With Steam it's usually 99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

They also throttled download speeds right now because GTAV broke their store front