Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Schadenboner posted:

Them's some nice human-normals there.

Seriously: I can't get over how well the Orlocks illustrate the principle of "Vanilla is a flavor not the lack of it".

Agreed. They might look like they’re vanilla, being human-basic, but they’ve got more character than the Van Saars for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Torquemada posted:

Agreed. They might look like they’re vanilla, being human-basic, but they’ve got more character than the Van Saars for sure.

Their gimmick is that they're bad rear end dudes who don't need no gimmick.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My friend and I are about to try and play our first campaign of Necromunda. We have the Dark Uprising box, and I'll be playing the Enforcers while my friend uses an Orlock gang that he's put together. We're going to play the law & misrule campaign that's in the Book of Judgment, but I'm kinda worried that the rulebook tells you that the campaign is designed for between 6 and 10 gangs. Will this be totally unsuitable for two players? Is Necromunda just not doable with only two players?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gunder posted:

My friend and I are about to try and play our first campaign of Necromunda. We have the Dark Uprising box, and I'll be playing the Enforcers while my friend uses an Orlock gang that he's put together. We're going to play the law & misrule campaign that's in the Book of Judgment, but I'm kinda worried that the rulebook tells you that the campaign is designed for between 6 and 10 gangs. Will this be totally unsuitable for two players? Is Necromunda just not doable with only two players?

You can do one-offs but Necromunda is really a campaign game where you build a team? It could be a two-player campaign but that seems samey?

Maybe when (gestures vaguely around) all this is over with* look on meetup.com or the FB pages of local game stores for leagues?

*: It'll never be over with, nothing will ever be normal again, :rip:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I was hoping that it would basically be a series of games with opportunities for us to develop our gangs between matches via buying new stuff with our earned credits etc. I just assumed that the framework would work for 2 people or many people. Is that not so?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gunder posted:

I was hoping that it would basically be a series of games with opportunities for us to develop our gangs between matches via buying new stuff with our earned credits etc. I just assumed that the framework would work for 2 people or many people. Is that not so?

It should still be perfectly playable, it's just that campaign-based games really get a lot of benefit from the Network Effect?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I say play it like a narrative RPG to keep it fresh. Create your own engagements and rules to make it really pop out and make the deaths really hit hard.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

It should still be perfectly playable, it's just that campaign-based games really get a lot of benefit from the Network Effect?

It’d be great to be able to play with more, but the pandemic has taken a poo poo on that for now.

I’ll try and source guides for playing with smaller numbers.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

R0ckfish posted:

I have started a Orlock gang! These fellas were pretty fun to paint, they are also the first actual humans I have painted and the first time I have actually tried to do pupils on something this scale.

These are fantastic. Are these done with contrast then regular paint highlights?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Finished up the first 5 weirdos for my Delaque gang

Haven't read the rules for them yet, but I'm assuming that everyone being armed with basic laspistols is uuuuuh, not good.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeast posted:

Haven't read the rules for them yet, but I'm assuming that everyone being armed with basic laspistols is uuuuuh, not good.

Oh wow I love this green!

I've heard the Delaque sprue referred to as "woops too many pistols!" so uh, I think your supposition might be right there

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

I have started a Orlock gang! These fellas were pretty fun to paint, they are also the first actual humans I have painted and the first time I have actually tried to do pupils on something this scale.

Hmmmm :thunk:

Safety Factor posted:

Gangers

Juves

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Great minds think alike!

... And fools rarely differ...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Some great Necromunda going on here! Those Orlocks and Delaque look really impressive.

Yeast posted:

Yeah, special/high-powered weapons look very expensive in Necromunda, especially on a starting gang. The most common advice for your starting roster is to push to 10 models or as close as possible, and cut what you have to in order to get there. But upgrading weapons is the quickest & simplest route to a better gang. After a few games, pretty much none of my Orlocks or Venators have relied on budget basic weapons. Everyone gets a good/unique ranged weapon, a prestige melee weapon/pistol, or some punchy grenades. I get those before investing in armour or most pieces of equipment. Only exception that springs to mind is if you've got a juve or two who is just there to run around grabbing things or shanking injured fighters.

Gunder posted:

There is nothing wrong at all with playing a 2-player campaign. Of course you get more variety of gaming if you have more opponents. One common method is for each player to have 2 (or could even do more) gangs in the fight, and alternate using them. This will obviously increase the possible match-ups, and each gang is still played to win.

The only change I would suggest is to control how Rackets are distributed in the L&M campaign. Necromunda campaigns all tend to reward success and punish failure, so gangs can spiral upward or downward in power. With only 2 gangs, you could get into a situation where one player wins repeatedly, and each win gives him more income for future games, until the lead is insurmountable. The Boons (bonuses) which you get for controlling multiple rackets in L&M are very powerful.

I would say either:

- put a hard cap on the number of Rackets a gang can control
- play a lot of games as 'gang raids' where a Racket is not at stake
- either of the above but a Dominion campaign. This is where Rackets are entirely replaced by Territories, which have mostly tamer Boons and don't link up for increased Boons in most cases. The campaign is also simpler - you don't have any considerations about lawful or outlaw gangs, you just play and build up your gangs.

koreban posted:

Is there a resource outside of Goonhammer that breaks down Helot Gang options for Necromunda? I’ll probably never actually play it, but I need a change up from painting black on black armor.

And buying into Cawdor or Delaque, or Goliaths is a $200 triple kit plus FW options hole I’m not quite ready to commit to. However, I do have Blackstone Fortress and Dark Vengeance cultist kits that should work just fine for a Helot Gang pallet rejuvenator project for me.

Additionally, I found some skittari sprues from Forgebane in my shame pile, are there mechaboys gangs or neat conversion options for these?

You could try on the Necromunda FB groups. Obviously there's a lot of noise to filter out, but someone will definitely give you some advice. The general wisdom I've heard is try and spam loads of cheap gangers, keep your champions as special/heavy weapon platforms, and kit your leader out as much as possible. Definitely give your leader and Witch chaos familiars, and your champions too if you don't mind making enemies - familiars are one of the most annoying things in the game.

Skitarii could be played as Venators, or as Van Saar pretty easily. I'm afraid there are no explicit rules for using mechanicus units.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Huh, I legit did not see those.

There was a question asking if I used contrast paints, for these I did not use them.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Dumb n00b painting question but I am trying to take a shortcut because I have so many. I am painting up about 150+ stands of Necrons for Epic 40k. Can I just base coat them with silver spray/near chrome? or should I primer them first then spray them down. I'd rather spend time picking out details than doing a base coat.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Dumb n00b painting question but I am trying to take a shortcut because I have so many. I am painting up about 150+ stands of Necrons for Epic 40k. Can I just base coat them with silver spray/near chrome? or should I primer them first then spray them down. I'd rather spend time picking out details than doing a base coat.

If you have a metal primer then that will work fine. Leadbelcher from GW works, but there's other companies that do different metal primers too.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I have a feeling like you are going to hate life less if you spray whatever color you are using for the base color on the base, then pic out the figs. At least that was the lesson I learned grinding through Warmaster jams.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

Huh, I legit did not see those.
Haha, it's just a funny coincidence. No worries.

I took a while to decide on my Orlock scheme. I wanted to avoid the studio colors and bounced between maroon or green or dark red for a while. I settled on dark green (Vulkan Green as the base) and I'm glad I did. I really like that color.

I wound up using maroon for the shorts and gloves on my BB lizardmen.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
my color palette tends to be green, blue or purple, with touches of other stuff. It looks like we both had similar thoughts though!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I have a feeling like you are going to hate life less if you spray whatever color you are using for the base color on the base, then pic out the figs. At least that was the lesson I learned grinding through Warmaster jams.

This. Your Necrons are going to be a lot easier to pick out with Leadbelcher or whatever, than it's going to be to paint your base color around the Necrons. You're in a unique position where you don't have a heck of a lot of stuff you need to pick out on those models - focus on the base, do your metallic, and put on a Nuln Oil wash and you're going to be golden.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Finally got around to finish my starting Escher. I left one miniature to be added later depending on what weapon/gear I need first:

The camera mades ome of the light teal colours turn out white for some reason. Anyway, leader, champs and juves get special hair colours to tell them apart. Gangers just get pink hair:

Individual pics on the blog: https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/fantasy--sci-fi/necromunda-escher-gang

Next up I started building a Delaque team until the FLGS receives the new Escher kit.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Haven't been posting much, but figured I'd share some recent stuff here as well.

Painted 10 Neophytes and 3 Aberrants since the beginning of April for Necromunda. Absolutely thrilled to play at the next opportunity.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

lilljonas posted:

Finally got around to finish my starting Escher. I left one miniature to be added later depending on what weapon/gear I need first:

The camera mades ome of the light teal colours turn out white for some reason. Anyway, leader, champs and juves get special hair colours to tell them apart. Gangers just get pink hair:

Individual pics on the blog: https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/fantasy--sci-fi/necromunda-escher-gang

Next up I started building a Delaque team until the FLGS receives the new Escher kit.

These are awesome!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Corrode posted:

These are awesome!

Thanks! Lots of nice necromunda stuff being posted, I really like them all but those green Delaque are just amazing. I made the mistake of joining the Necromunda facebook group and now I just want to get tons of kits and kitbash gangs all day erryday.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Yeast posted:

Jimminy, those are gorgeous!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You guys make it hard not to buy a Necromunda box I will never play with anyone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Scrubs in the underhive should be wearing fleece jackets and baking trays.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I finally got around to take better pics of my finished Ironskull's Boys for Underworlds:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/fantasy--sci-fi/warhammer-underworlds-ironskulls-boyz

I also picked up the ogre hunter warband for beastgrave. Going to be nice to have these small projects to paint up inbetween larger batches of historical miniatures. I had a lot of problems with photographing with my phone (see my mediocre Escher pics above). Turned out switching the black background for a light grey helped A TON, now the camera doesn't assume that everything that is slightly light grey or beige should actually be pure white.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 19, 2020

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Got some more Orlocks done!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

R0ckfish posted:

Got some more Orlocks done!

Awesome work the faces came out very nicely.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Genghis Cohen posted:

Awesome work the faces came out very nicely.

Thanks!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The hair's not a match, but that harpoon gunner is channeling stronger Rutger Hauer energy than any other miniature I've seen.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/21/heads-up-price-adjustment-new-releases/

Seems like the new price hike is going to affect the Underworlds warbands, so if you want any it might be a good idea to grab them before the 30th

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So Goliaths are basically Latter-Day Thunder Warriors right?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

So Goliaths are basically Latter-Day Thunder Warriors right?

Goliaths are basically human orcs.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got my remaining Reaver titan done!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
8mm is more-or-less Railroad N-scale right?

E: It looks like 8mm should* be somewhere between 1:180 and 1:200, N (1:160) is probably a little too big but Z (1:220) is deffo. too small. "6mm" is generally considered to be anything between 1:285 and 1:300 IIRC?
*: :airquote:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 23, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nice titan!

Schadenboner posted:

8mm is more-or-less Railroad N-scale right?

E: It looks like 8mm should* be somewhere between 1:180 and 1:200, N (1:160) is probably a little too big but Z (1:220) is deffo. too small. "6mm" is generally considered to be anything between 1:285 and 1:300 IIRC?
*: :airquotes:

Yeah 6mm differs a ton between brands, but usually around 1:300 or slightly bigger. Though zz scale is quite uncommon I think, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

R0ckfish posted:

I got my remaining Reaver titan done!

The curse of Reaver Shins strikes again.