Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I'm in favor of kill absolutely everyone and buddying up with Wolfman. The villagers are so brutally screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am actually voting for Wolf for once, because I am way to uncomfortable imagining what stalker boy might do with a bound up naked lady. Whatever Wolfie might be planning, at least I am pretty sure it won't be anything like that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Stalker boy is definitely not planning any arrangements that are gonna be less objectionable than the current ones, while Wolfie will probably kill her and that seems like it'd be a mercy more than anything. Give the key to Wolfie. Also being named "dead meat" isn't nearly as creepy as just being called "meat", wonder if that was intentional.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
"dead meat" is an insult, it implies you're a weakling whose death is inevitable.
"meat" has several implications, none of them good.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am guessing our guy also could have delivered the mercy-kill on the ill locked-up lady, right?

I do appreciate how you can honor her request and cover her up again after you have removed the sheet, though. Another nice touch.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
We really have TREMENDOUS latitude in who and what we kill. It is VERY RARE to come across another character that we can't decide to off, for various or any reasons.

And with that thought in mind, let's embark! We made the giantly intelligent decision to trust WOLFIE, who will never betray us! Let's enjoy... that, among MYRIAD OTHER DELIGHTS in this episode, when we finally make it to the Old Woods, and to...

Also, because we SUPER NARROWLY voted to help the villagers, with kill the pig being a VERY tight second, I'll relent and show you bloodthirsty goons what that looks like. I might even show off the vast (for real, vast) impact it has on the plot later!

Now, at the end of this episode, we're once again absolutely flush with possibilities! As is the norm, they're listed in spoilertags, but don't feel required to spoiler your answers.

Do we:

1) Investigate the Old Woods before doing anything else? As usual, re-stocking is important - but also keep in mind, there are likely to be more and tougher fights here!

2) Check out the church? We might have the code to open the trapdoor, thanks to a remarkably lucky performance in the dream.

3) Look for the key to open the spooky black box we got? The wolf told us kind of where it is.

4) Find the doctor? Wolfie said he was locked away, but we might be able to force our way in. Or Wolfie could just be lying to convince us to see him, rather than go after the doctor! NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

5) Go right to Wolfie's layer? Heck, we've come this far, why not go full-on. Plus, we might find a clue as to where Chicken Lady's sister was taken.

BONUS QUESTION:

Who should we give the game to: Wolfie, or the Musician?

LEVEL-UP QUESTION

Pick your poison for our level ups! We need one good and one bad trait.

Choices are:

1 - Careful Step: Once a day, you won't trigger a trap that you step on.
2 - Appetite: I will be able to restore my health by eating wood.
3 - Scream: Once a day, I will be able to scare off nearby enemies.

4 - Weak Lungs: I will recover longer after exhausting myself.
5 - Weakness: When my stamina gets low, I will deal less damage in combat.

As always, we can ALSO choose to stop upgrading. As before, not all of these are equally good.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I take it back, wolfie is awesome. You steak-umms deserve him.

1) Look around and arm up - I'm shook after seeing a guy split in half and then try to bite you with his middlebits. Time to commit chastisement

1a) Go track down wolfie's lair and then introduce him to your shotgun, preferably barrel-first

I think The Musician should get the game - he's a weird lonely dork with weird ideas about women and it's about time he joined the true faith.

As for upgrades, my money is on Careful Step because there will come a day when you will panic and put both feet into Mr. Jaws. And as a tradeoff, Weakness sounds fine. You can spend all that bandwidth you would have spent fretting about traps on managing your stamina

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Lesse... after that wonderful episode (and the bonus episode, holy gently caress), here's my opinions:

We should 1) Investigate the Old Woods, because gearing up is always solid, and knowing what's out there is also very important, but should we get the chance, do not forget to 2) Check out the church, because there's clearly nothing absolutely horrific beneath it. Why would there be? It's totally safe!

We're giving the game to the Musician. Wolfy was rude to us because we did one thing that wasn't for him while everything else we've done has been for him. That's not cool.

Also of course we're leveling up because why would we stop shoving mushroom juice into our veins now? That would be silly. We're not quitters!

Appetite because more ways to recover health are always good, and Weak Lungs, because so long as you don't lose all of your stamina, which is something you seem to be very good at preventing, it won't kick in. Meanwhile, the alternative is less damage after running away and we need that damage.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
I like how the small pigs seem normal while alive, but after you kill them, their weird spindly feet are revealed.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I didn't pick up on the clue that the musician might have helped the lady, and now I feel bad. I wish I had gone with my first thought at least, and abstained from voting. As for what to do, let's explore first, then look for the key. And the musician gets the game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh, you weren't so wrong. He was awfully creepy.

And we found a wedding ring in her room. But he only said he was GOING to marry her. Is he... forgetting something?

Have we seen another ring?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Explore, game to the musician.

Weak Lungs per the previous post that it doesn't sound like it kicks in without losing all your stamina (and I'm sure after you take it Murphy's Law will dick you over later, but I'm sure it'll be fine).

Careful Step even though with all your shroom stepping it'll be quickly squandered :v:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Explore, game to the musician.

Weak Lungs

Careful Step

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Bacter posted:

Oh, you weren't so wrong. He was awfully creepy.

Yeah, which is why I wished I had abstained. Even if it might had lead to her getting better somehow, I wouldn't have wanted to contribute to choosing him. I have an awful feeling that whatever you decide, there is no happy ending. If I had been playing the game, (which I can't because I suck at easy combat and this is anything but,) I probably would have been savescumming my way through, trying to find the least horrible solution to every dilemma. I literally feel sick just voting in the thread and seeing the outcomes...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
We should explore then go get rid of wolfie.

Give the game to the musician lad.
I have a similar Nintendo one with Snoopy playing tennis (!)

Upgrade to Appetite and Weak lungs; that's what I'd do on my first playthrough if I reached this point. However, seeing as "appetite" has us eating wood to heal, I'm thinking maybe all this upgrading mutates us further into a monstrosity and that cannot be good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Weak Lungs
Appetite

And befriend the Wolf, maybe we can still patch up our relationship with him, look how you've hurt his feelings by not helping him... aside from that exploration.

I also really love how the mushroom men go boom when they die, it's such a wonderfully meaty animation and sound.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
With bandages, health doesn't seem like a big issue. A panic button for when surrounded by enemies on the other hand?

Weak lungs
Scream

and Lets investigate the church

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

However, seeing as "appetite" has us eating wood to heal, I'm thinking maybe all this upgrading mutates us further into a monstrosity and that cannot be good.

It DOES seem kind of... familiar, no?

(I'm NOT saying it's a bad choice!)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

1) always be exploring

I'm abstaining from the game decision, Wolf's been a dick but the Musician is creepy.

Scream
Weak Lungs

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I knew it! I knew you were thinking about killing the pig. And look, you killed... The.. :stare:

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
Well that was an update :stare: ....I kinda regret voting to help the pig now, is that what's driving the villagers mad? Eating eldritch spider pig cant be good for you.

whelp I cay we give the game to the Musician maybe that will cheer him up after losing the lady?

I really wanna see whats in the Box so lets go get the Key and hopefully get some supplies on the way.

Upgrades wise I think being able to heal with wood is a good choice.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Take Scream and Weakness, give the game to the musician, and check out the church. I've been fairly pro-Wolfie, but gently caress that.

:stonk:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TheCog posted:

With bandages, health doesn't seem like a big issue. A panic button for when surrounded by enemies on the other hand?

Weak lungs
Scream

and Lets investigate the church

:same:

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Be a good fellow and GO TO CHURCH. (Curious what's in there)
I still have hope the MUSICIAN is less horrible than the Wolf. See what he thinks of the GAME.
SCREAM + LUNGS. (Would be a terrible combo in real life)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

sockgarters posted:

Be a good fellow and GO TO CHURCH. (Curious what's in there)
I still have hope the MUSICIAN is less horrible than the Wolf. See what he thinks of the GAME.
SCREAM + LUNGS. (Would be a terrible combo in real life)

I remember this electronic game, it was a hit among children in the early 90s. Notice it features a humanoid wolf as the protagonist. It's a character from an old Soviet cartoon "Well, just you wait!" (or "Wolf and Hare", as it was known in Polish translation), which was pretty much the counterpart to "Tom & Jerry" and "Wile E. Coyote & the Road Runner" on this side of the Iron Curtain. Its premise was basically the same: the Wolf (who dressed and behaved like a Russian hooligan) really wanted to catch and eat the Hare, trying to use guile and failing miserably.

The game itself was pretty simple – you had to position the Wolf to catch falling eggs into the basket. Nothing very sophisticated. But Poland in the late 80s and early 90s was a crisis-laden shithole, so even a simple toy like this was something to envy.

Speaking of crisis-laden shitholes, food rationing stamps briefly show up on the footage. They were a thing several times in the Polish People's Republic entire history, but when you hear people talking about them, they usually mean the 80s just after the martial law. Their role was to prevent food price spikes in the dying economy, but they didn't really guarantee getting something for them – first, you had to find a shop that recently had the thing you need in stock, then wait in a long queue of people who got the same idea as you and hope they don't buy everything out before your turn. It's one of the most hated things in the old days (probably even more than police brutality and crackdowns) and one of the first things people usually bring up when ranting about communism.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Not sure where to go, but I vote Careful Step because watching you waste it on something and regret the waste is better than watching you actually suffer the trap. Sacrifice your Lungs please.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Looks like we're going SCREAM, then CAREFUL STEP.

AND

It looks like we're gonna investigate the CHURCH.

I'll be honest, I'm VERY glad to see these votes come in - it fills me up with an array of TRULY useful and excellent powers (which I fail to use in a few circumstances when I REALLY COULD HAVE), and it keeps things moving, uh, let's say briskly.

Yes, this next bit is a chunk of content that's... let's say ripe. With exciting things! We're in the meat of it, and we're finding out what makes this place tick. Spoiler alert? It's NOT GREAT.

In fact, there's SO MUCH CONTENT, I've put it into a two-parter. Enjoy, and at the end, we've got something a little different for a poll before the next update.

As always, no need to spoiler your answers.

So... what do we think about the doctor? Hero? Lunatic? Psychopath? Honest guy who just got really, really into his job? What's your take on him? How you feel about the doctor WILL affect the plot, so I'd like to know!

Also: what do we think about Wolfie? Why does he want us gone? Who is he? What is he after? Tell me what you think, and I'll make some decisions.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wolfie: I don't think he was ever a person, I think he's a wolf or dog native to the area that got into Plot Mushrooms and mutated, developed enough sapience to be real pissed about the humans running around and hunting him and his kind for sport. Like, with all the stuffed and mounted animals in the hunter's house, he came across more as a "sport" hunter than a "sustenance" hunter, and so the wolf decided to put an ironic twist on his hobby by hunting humans for sport. The missing mounted wolf head could imply he's just a sociopath with a wolf mask, but I feel like enough point has been made about the wolf's behavior, smells, body, etc. to indicate that he's not just a human, not even a mutated one, but starting from an entirely different point. Of course, this seems like something weirder than a natural plague, this isn't just the Umbrella Corporation loving up, it's something more similar to STALKER with thoughts and memories mattering as much as physiology, so maybe the wolf's final form was influenced by some sort of... popular media depicting anthropomorphic animals. You have to wonder if, should you give him the game, he'd be reminded of his origins or just take it as an insult to see something depicting "him." Wolfie wants us gone just because we're human, because we're in his woods, that are being reclaimed by nature. Animals may mutate, but humans are clearly getting the worst of it, and a lot of animals, like the crows and moose, don't seem to be harmed by it. Plus, if you notice, the pigs and dogs are getting sick, but they're domesticated animals, connected to humans. The "huge dogs," in my opinion, aren't dogs, they're wolves. It's subtle, but they've got the same faintly glowing eyes as the wolf the hunter took a picture of, I'm sure of it, and they seem more than healthy, we've never seen any of the wolves or elks lying around sick, just humanity's pets. The wolf may be an rear end in a top hat, but so far he's at least honoured the wording of everything he's promised us.

The Doctor: Considering the lengths he went through, it's starting to look more and more like he genuinely tried, but at some point just snapped. When he saw you, an outsider, I imagine his reaction was: "WAIT, THE OUTSIDE WORLD STILL EXISTS? ARE YOU ASSHOLES JUST WATCHING US FOR FUN? loving HELP US, YOU COWARDS. OR AT LEAST LET ME THE gently caress OUT. I DON'T WANT TO DIE HERE." Probably completely insane, at this point, but likely started out with good intentions.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think Wolfie has some Pet Semetary poo poo going on. Those scribbled drawings he threw in our face showed a family's dog eating some mushrooms and then being buried. Maybe he wants us gone before we figure it out, or maybe he wants us gone so he can stop thinking about human stuff because he doesn't think we can help him any more.

The Doctor seems like he started out as, you know, an actual normal doctor, and then went mad over time once he found out he couldn't stop the plague and then the world turned all apocalypse-y.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I think Wolfie is probably legit not human, after thinking about it for a bit. I like the idea of him being a case of :regd09: + :shroom: = :smugdog: who is angry about humanity's treatment of his race, and he just wants all of us to get the gently caress out. Dunno what his thing about the Pretty Lady is, though. That said, he's pretty much a rabid dog, and rabid dogs need to be put down.

As for the Doctor, I agree that he was, at one point, a normal doctor trying to do his best to help people. But then something, maybe failure, maybe the :shroom:s, maybe something else, led him to be an absolute psychopath. I think he's probably lost to us at this point, and his death is likely the best/most likely option.

(Yes, I realize I was voting for Wolfie earlier, but gently caress it)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
At this point, Wolfie is very much not cool. I cannot imagine what signs could have possibly pointed to this. There were no warning signs whatsoever! I totally didn't vote to support him in the past because it was funny and I wanted to see how horrible it would get

Also, The Doctor quite likely was genuinely trying to help and just... got completely overwhelmed. Then we showed up and a possibility to leave this hellscape was there and he took it. Can't blame him. Don't have to like him, but... understandable, you know?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
In any case, the Doctor is not our friend and unfortunately beyond any redemption at this point. He probably did originally try to fight whatever the disease is, but instead of admitting his defeat he went completely mad scientist on the villages -- and possibly took advantage of their trust to gather the resources to escape.

I don't know what wolfie used to be. The missing wolf head at the Hunter's house seems to hint at something, but I don't get it. The child pictures also seemed to indicate the wolf's origin (a dog eating the poisonous mushrooms), at least as a possibility, so I think I'm more inclined to believe that version. Whatever the case, I don't see how anything can turn around the current opinion we have of him and what he's done.

As a side note, I particularly liked the (short) peaceful dream we had of seemingly better days. Maybe there's still someone "outside" waiting for us to get home?

Also, it's probably only me imagining things, but the moody music sounded like a more depressing "Godforsaken Aerial" of Dear Esther's soundtrack.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

The wolf head being missing from the hunter place... are we supposed to be thinking it's a dude with a mask? Is it a red herring? I mean, when you watch an old movie and there is the obvious "guy in a gorilla suit" you get taken out of the story thinking, "Am I supposed to really buy that this is an ACTUAL gorilla? Naw, they just didn't have the budget and fx to make it look real. Or didn't want to use stock footage..."
My point is wouldn't our character, mushroom huffer that he is, have sensed the wolf-face isn't moving and snapping his jaws the way a real wolf-faced being would? Anyway, wolfguy or "wolf" guy is bad. Maybe cuz he's a fairytale wolf who's job is to be mean to humans, cuz that's what fairytale wolves do. Or a dude who likes the role of Big Bad Wolf in this insanity forest world. Wolf want to mess with humans, including us, so if we value our lives, beware of the wolf.
[And I LIKE wolves, the real kind, in our slightly less mad world. Please buy your share of howling wolf tshirts to save the wolves!]

I just don't like the Doc. He's done too much bad to be spared. I'm not buying he was once a nice normal Doctor who has been pushed from decency to madness. Sorry, I get serial killer vibes from the guy. Even if he seems reasonable when next we meet, he deserves the Bear Trap and Here, Splat! treatment, courtesy Doctor Bacter.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'm not sure why a lot of people seem to be assuming there is a connection between Wolf and the dog in the children's drawings. There doesn't seem to be anything that would link the two. We showed Wolf a box, he took it presumably thinking it had valuables, got pissed when there wasn't any. I took the scriblings to be a depiction of the events that started the whole disease. Note how in the picture of the family mourning the dead dog, the dad has some red on one of his arms. I'm guessing he got bit by the dog and that's why it had to be put down, it went crazy. They didn't know the significance of him having been bitten, and then he went to the church basement with the rest to seek shelter, and, well. RIP the shelter. Remember, it was the dad of the two girls who was a red chomper in our dream. I think we can figure out what happened to him. :(

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Given that the doctor's dog which was sick becomes a huge dog if you don't kill it, they could just as easily be dogs turning back into wolves, purging the human influence as it were with the help of the mushrooms. Wolfie might have been either the lone actual wolf to wander in here or a very smart wolf when this started, and so got some extra special benefits to let him assist in nature reclaiming this place.

Wolfie: decidedly not our friend or human, but likes the idea of us leaving. If he gets in the way, kill him, but otherwise the villagers are ultimately screwed anyway. He'll give them a much quicker death than the plague... if we could get the villagers to leave with us, that'd be better, but they probably wouldn't go even if they believed us, so gently caress it.

Doc: not originally crazy, but not being able to do anything about the plague hosed him up and, well, he decided to fend for himself. Trying to learn about the plague by keeping people locked up isn't sane, but neither is shooting up with mushrooms or helping a wolfman eat a dying woman. If we can get to some kind of agreement where we both leave alive, do that so he has a chance to go somewhere that won't encourage his psychotic tendencies, but if he insists on the Highlander principle don't hesitate to oblige.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 14, 2020

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Easily as interesting to ME is the fake ring that wolfie carried, and the real rings found in the pretty lady's room (finally got "my girlie" back says Wolfie) and in the hunter's cabin.

I don't want to venture too far into the territory of the lurid, but, well, she was surrounded by red fairy lights, in a kind of bed-thing, and was apparently eaten.

There are an awful lot of parallels between the musician and wolfie, aren't there? Both of them intensely dislike the chicken lady, both lust (for, uh, some definition of lust) after the pretty lady, and both seem to have a claim on marriage, that doesn't seem to hold weight on close inspection.

Did you notice that the musician was one of the ones led into the church basement in the drawing?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

There is one other thing worth asking: Why in the blue hell did we come here anyway? We've never been given any idea of what the hell our main character was thinking about that that I remember. Like what, are we a tourist who was bound and determined to backpack into this specific crummy part of Poland even when the roads here were all hosed up? Why would we go to this place when the first sign of trouble in the form of the doctor stealing our keys and ending up in some cabin after what could be brushed off as a weird hallucination immediately makes us want to just leave?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've been turning this over in my head

Wolfie is an alpha wolf, to an extent. He wants to be happy, and to be happy, he wants to eat his fill and dominate the wilds of the forest. He knows a capable ally (or patsy) when he sees one, and chose to help us, knowing that a small investment could yield quite a reward. But his contempt is an emotional manifestetion of how he has no use for us, maybe even be an unknown that could become a threat or liability. He may try to kill us, but if we survived this long, he could get hurt by such an attempt. Besides, he has good food for days... why spend the effort or risk? Much easier to use the old standby of intimidation turned up to 11 and have everyone leave on a good note. He knows that we don't want to stay. He wants us to know that he doesn't want us to come back.

Chaotic neutral. He's not looking to kill everyone. But still, he could murder a good meal.

The doctor is chaotic evil.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, the vids said that there would be "content warning: suffering dogs" and yet no warnings present, and now countless people have been exposed to it

then again, anyone who has been watching this series from the start should have been expecting the sorrowful cries of canine despair at any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:woof: