Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Logical1234 posted:

And this can also explain why Sephiroth refuses to be a memory. You can very much argue that from Sephiroth’s perspective, the first choice he ever made as a ‘real’ person was to destroy humanity and become a god for the sake of the planet. By the time he learns Jenova’s true nature, it doesnt matter, because at this point Sephiroth is done second guessing himself. He made his choice to gown down this path, his first choice he made as somebody real. This is the person he is.

Which of course would explain why the guy just won’t let it go. He finally was becoming his own person. And the world punished him for it. So regardless of the ReMakes method, I can totally see him attempting a do over.

Of course, that excuses none of his actions or atrocities. He’s pitiful in that regard. But he is fascinating as a villain.

That's why I believe the remake is going to have to end with him coming to terms with the tragedy of his life and his death. Otherwise it's literally never going to end. If Sephiroth can go back in time via the lifestream he's going to pull this poo poo over and over again until he gets the result he specifically wants. In that regard he's already won and it's just taking awhile until he gets exactly what he wants. The only way I can reasonably see this end is Cloud finally getting through to him somehow and convincing him to just stop. How this is achieved I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

How this is achieved I have no idea.

Lifestream Therapy Time. :toot:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Okay, in this version, Aerith and Tifa make Cloud confront his true past earlier and work through his artificial persona. Then later he still falls into the Lifestream, but this time Cloud helps Sephiroth work through Seph's hosed up issues.

And then there's a big fight or whatever. The End.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cloud and Sephiroth are going to kiss, OP.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

zedprime posted:

Cloud and Sephiroth are going to have a final dance-off, OP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Since we've talked about Kingdom Hearts in this thread and I know there are some posters here who've kept up with it and enjoy it:

I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game since KH2. I'm considering replaying 2, or maybe 1 and 2, but I'm curious: I know the story is nonsense, but does it stay fun nonsense? Because I have a weird urge to plow ahead and play more of them and maybe build up to KH3 and I'm curious if I'm in for fun or just regular nonsense.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Okay, in this version, Aerith and Tifa make Cloud confront his true past earlier and work through his artificial persona. Then later he still falls into the Lifestream, but this time Cloud helps Sephiroth work through Seph's hosed up issues.

And then there's a big fight or whatever. The End.

Sounds about what I expect to happen. But the big final fight is going to be with Hojo for the sheer catharsis factor. I mean my God it'd be fabulous if all the people he's victimized basically got together and beat his oily rear end into another dimension. The smack talk during the fight would be legendary not even getting into combo moves.

Vincent holding him in place while Aerith gets out the chair? A work of art.

zedprime posted:

Cloud and Sephiroth are going to kiss, OP.

Well all we know Sephiroth definitely wants to. That's pretty much canon at this point.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 15, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also I just remembered I had this video sitting in my favorites for years without an excuse to post it, but now that FF7 is back might as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4HujcJKQQ

SQUARE YOU COWARDS GIVE ME FF7 ANIME!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

lezard_valeth posted:

Also I just remembered I had this video sitting in my favorites for years without an excuse to post it, but now that FF7 is back might as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4HujcJKQQ

SQUARE YOU COWARDS GIVE ME FF7 ANIME!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Order:_Final_Fantasy_VII

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I've been drafting a writing piece that I've wanted to do for sometime that discusses OG FF7 as a piece of trauma and "ecosickness" literature, and how that ties capitalism, technology, and the character arcs. But while doing so, I ended up forming a theory about what's going on with the Remake. I've been pretty down on the ending for several reasons, but the recent discussion on Sephiroth's nature and motivations in the endgame has me thinking:
What if endgame/time traveling/Advent Children Sephiroth isn't really Sephiroth? I'm wondering if, just as the Black Materia appears to be a manifestation of the Planet's traumatic injury from the original Meteor 2,000 years ago, this Sephiroth is another memory made manifest. FF7 anthropomorphizes the Planet a lot, so I don't think it's out of the question to suggest that the Planet could be reliving traumatic events (intentionally or otherwise). And just as the manifestations of Sephiroth in the original game were based on vestiges inside other people (and the impressions/scars he'd left on them), this Sephiroth could be like that, but on a planetary scale.
For me, it would make the time travel/Whispers/alternate reality/repetition stuff a lot better, as I feel it functions as a good extension of the themes presented in the original game, and satisfies as both a remake and a sequel in that regard. But I could just be setting myself up for disappointment. I'm interested to hear what others think.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

yeah...not that one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

lezard_valeth posted:

yeah...not that one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII:_Advent_Children

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beefstew posted:

I've been drafting a writing piece that I've wanted to do for sometime that discusses OG FF7 as a piece of trauma and "ecosickness" literature, and how that ties capitalism, technology, and the character arcs. But while doing so, I ended up forming a theory about what's going on with the Remake. I've been pretty down on the ending for several reasons, but the recent discussion on Sephiroth's nature and motivations in the endgame has me thinking:
What if endgame/time traveling/Advent Children Sephiroth isn't really Sephiroth? I'm wondering if, just as the Black Materia appears to be a manifestation of the Planet's traumatic injury from the original Meteor 2,000 years ago, this Sephiroth is another memory made manifest. FF7 anthropomorphizes the Planet a lot, so I don't think it's out of the question to suggest that the Planet could be reliving traumatic events (intentionally or otherwise). And just as the manifestations of Sephiroth in the original game were based on vestiges inside other people (and the impressions/scars he'd left on them), this Sephiroth could be like that, but on a planetary scale.
For me, it would make the time travel/Whispers/alternate reality/repetition stuff a lot better, as I feel it functions as a good extension of the themes presented in the original game, and satisfies as both a remake and a sequel in that regard. But I could just be setting myself up for disappointment. I'm interested to hear what others think.

The planet has PTSD is what you're saying.

Complete or bust.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Flopsy posted:

The planet has PTSD is what you're saying.

Yes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I won't lie that's an interesting take but it shifts the focus from getting Sephiroth some kind of therapy/closure to getting the planet therapy/closure and....hoo boy I don't even know how the cast is going to approach that one. I mean I guess Aerith would probably have to be the mediator regardless.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I won't lie that's an interesting take but it shifts the focus from getting Sephiroth some kind of therapy/closure to getting the planet therapy/closure and....hoo boy I don't even know how the cast is going to approach that one. I mean I guess Aerith would probably have to be the mediator regardless.

I think it fits better with both the themes of the original and the metanarrative of the Remake. Plus, I personally think that a redemptive arc (to some degree) for Sephiroth would be a hard sell for me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Flopsy posted:

We're going to need a bigger couch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hard Mode would be one million times more fun if there were just like one more Magnify Materia

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

magnify is too good, they were right to limit it

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

precision posted:

Hard Mode would be one million times more fun if there were just like one more Magnify Materia

I've gotten most of the way through Chapter 16, and I've rarely even used the one I have. Prayer has been my go-to healing solution, which means I usually barely touch my MP either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's not great for healing, but for Time and Barrier

I don't think it would be oppressive if there were one more. Honestly there should have been two even for normal.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beefstew posted:

I think it fits better with both the themes of the original and the metanarrative of the Remake. Plus, I personally think that a redemptive arc (to some degree) for Sephiroth would be a hard sell for me.

I'm not even asking for redemption so much as convincing him to knock his poo poo off. Not to mention they're already kind of setting the table for a different take on Sephiroth's motives based on that conversation he has with Cloud on the edge of creation. I mean honestly I'm just kind of expecting some variation of:

"Ooooh poo poo I've made a horrible error. Time to stop tormenting this guy who's more likely to have a panic attack than be my friend/lover/eternal rival all three etc."

Maybe throw his two bits in to stop meteor or whatever than just allow himself to become one with the lifestream. I dunno man, just dealing with the planet's psychological trauma seems like a tall order.

Agents are GO! posted:

We're going to need a bigger couch.

Everyone is going to need to start pouring their antidepressants into the lifestream.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Heidegger: "Gya ha ha ha! We've loaded the mako cannon with a thousand tons of MDMA!"
Scarlet: "We'll point the cannon straight down and shoot happiness directly into the planets core! Kya ha ha ha!"
Palmer: "Maybe we should add some lard?"
Hojo: "Fascinating, maybe we can get the planet to breed with Meteor?"

Reeve, not even bothering to hide Cait Sith anymore, falls to his knees and puts his head in his hands.

Edit:
Fans: "This is Nomuras fault."

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Beefstew posted:

Man, listening to the OG soundtrack (partially because YouTube's been taking down uploads of the remake soundtrack), and I'm really sad that we didn't have more Anxious Hearts representation in the remake. That's straight-up the best song.

Maybe Kraftwerk got a bit bitchy with SE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH0Js8qdnyA

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Harrow posted:

Since we've talked about Kingdom Hearts in this thread and I know there are some posters here who've kept up with it and enjoy it:

I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game since KH2. I'm considering replaying 2, or maybe 1 and 2, but I'm curious: I know the story is nonsense, but does it stay fun nonsense? Because I have a weird urge to plow ahead and play more of them and maybe build up to KH3 and I'm curious if I'm in for fun or just regular nonsense.

I played KH1, the GBA game, KH2 and the PSP game (birth by sleep) all at launch. So I’m not a huge huge fan but I played and liked enough of the games.

I was incredibly disappointed with Kh3

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Meanwhile, I absolutely dig KH and 3 was pretty satisfying for me in concluding a lot of the open story elements. But... it also greatly summed up that this series will never achieve what its top is while it's connected to Disney, at least not Modern Disney. Arendelle was the best example of that.

Basically, if you're willing to accept that 90% of the game is tightly committee written filler that can never have anything important happen in them because of the House of Mouse, then you'll have fun. If not, then no.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Heidegger: "Gya ha ha ha! We've loaded the mako cannon with a thousand tons of MDMA!"
Scarlet: "We'll point the cannon straight down and shoot happiness directly into the planets core! Kya ha ha ha!"
Palmer: "Maybe we should add some lard?"

Reeve, not even bothering to hide Cait Sith anymore, falls to his knees and puts his head in his hands.

Edit:
Fans: "This is Nomuras fault."

Reeve is Nomura when he tries to restrain the others. Still crazy enough to be Cait Sith, sane enough to understand that this isn’t same .

Also Planet X Meteor is the worst ship Hojo has ever made.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

If you enjoy(ed) the stuff KH2 brought to the table you'll probably enjoy the the nonsense the rest of the series brings.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Flopsy posted:

That's why I believe the remake is going to have to end with him coming to terms with the tragedy of his life and his death. Otherwise it's literally never going to end. If Sephiroth can go back in time via the lifestream he's going to pull this poo poo over and over again until he gets the result he specifically wants. In that regard he's already won and it's just taking awhile until he gets exactly what he wants. The only way I can reasonably see this end is Cloud finally getting through to him somehow and convincing him to just stop. How this is achieved I have no idea.

Nomura's gonna happen. He's gonna Nomura all over the game and in the third disc you'll be able to save Sephiroth by running away from him in one fight and getting Cloud to a karaoke bar and singing 'You've got a friend in me' to him.

One thing that this series really missed was giving bosses some sick intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-nkGDs_OZU

Also I wish this was real, it'd be cool if the big cinematic attacks that the summons like to pull could miss. Or at least didn't steal your camera and movement controls from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaCf-h1OYU0

And I don't know why but I totally thought the Sephiroth we beat at the end was just another clone. I know it exploded into a bunch of Whispers but for some reason I thought it turned into another clone as well.

OH right, now I remember what I wanted to ask! Does anyone have a video of party combinations during the Sephiroth fight? I got Aerith and Tifa for mine, I had no idea they could come in different orders or Barret could join instead.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 15, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

The games in between 2 and 3 are of varying quality but I think 3 itself is pretty much the 2nd best game in the series, just below 2 and the only one that compares gameplay wise. The story nonsense is mixed though, it gets weirder which is good and they start more heavily combining goofy original KH story with the Disney worlds and characters, and it's some of the best stuff in the series. However, especially towards the end a lot of the story doesn't really feel fully realised and it goes past confusing nonsense into just kinda being dull.

I still think it's really good though.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 15, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Logical1234 posted:

Reeve is Nomura when he tries to restrain the others. Still crazy enough to be Cait Sith, sane enough to understand that this isn’t same .

Also Planet X Meteor is the worst ship Hojo has ever made.

Nomura's self-insert is clearly Noctis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dell_Zincht posted:

Maybe Kraftwerk got a bit bitchy with SE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH0Js8qdnyA

Ha! I never noticed that.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
You kind of wonder if in one timeline, Sephiroth meets Lucrecia.

He'd become grounded as a human from the experience of meeting his bona fide human mother, wherein she'd tell him that it was Hojo's idea to inject him with Jenova cells.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Beefstew posted:

I don't think it would be redemption so much as closure. The man's already dead, so him suddenly becoming a good guy would be pointless (and I don't think he's going to suddenly be a good guy here, even if he "likes" Cloud now). I do think your theory makes sense, though, if the planet itself is reliving what happened during the OG FFVII. Whether it's a time loop or not (and this isn't the first FF game with a time loop), I don't know, but this doesn't feel like the first rodeo for the whole party, not just Aerith and Sephiroth. The whispers as an immune system make sense because then they'd be trying to make sure what happened in the original happens here because it actually worked, even if there were other, better ways it could have happened. I wouldn't be opposed to Sephiroth being a manifesation of the Planet's trauma either, I'm just okay with Seph trying a do over because it feels like a thing he'd do.

edit: Hell, now that I'm thinking about it, isn't Sephiroth making the same mistake about trauma that he did about how the planet being hit with meteor would make both the planet and him stronger? "Through suffering you will grow strong"? Like he doesn't understand that his own/Cloud's/the planet's trauma isn't really character building, it's just trauma. I think that's the thing that's going to be addressed next.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 15, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
petition to rename thread FFVII Remake SOLDIER THREAD thanks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Asema posted:

petition to rename thread FFVII Remake SOLDIER THREAD thanks

Shinra Lied, Avalanche Died

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

gredgie posted:

You kind of wonder if in one timeline, Sephiroth meets Lucrecia.

He'd become grounded as a human from the experience of meeting his bona fide human mother, wherein she'd tell him that it was Hojo's idea to inject him with Jenova cells.

Considering she's in crystal coma not dead that would be an interesting way to force him acknowledge his origins. Although they're probably going to have to do quite a bit to re-rail with her character because Lucretia is insufferable in the compilation.

Agents are GO! posted:

You fool! Don't you know the creators read forums for fan response!? You're going to give them ideas!

edit: Brings "Lemme Smash" to a whole new level amirite?

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 15, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

precision posted:

Shinra Lied, Avalanche Died

DYING FOR SHINRAS MAKO PROFITS!!!

(Now I want somebody to do the powerup comics thing with Rufus and an I (heart) MAKO shirt.)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

BaDandy posted:

edit: Hell, now that I'm thinking about it, isn't Sephiroth making the same mistake about trauma that he did about how the planet being hit with meteor would make both the planet and him stronger? "Through suffering you will grow strong"? Like he doesn't understand that his own/Cloud's/the planet's trauma isn't really character building, it's just trauma. I think that's the thing that's going to be addressed next.

He never thought hitting the planet with meteor would make the planet stronger. The meteor impact would force the planet to focus the entire lifestream on the wound to try and heal it and survive, and Sephiroth would be right there at the wound, absorbing all the lifestream energy and becoming a god. His plan was to steal the entire planet's lifeforce to help himself, killing the planet in the process.

Which is why it's odd that Sephiroth now claims to care about the planet dying. Whether he is being serious or facetious remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Schwartzcough posted:

He never thought hitting the planet with meteor would make the planet stronger. The meteor impact would force the planet to focus the entire lifestream on the wound to try and heal it and survive, and Sephiroth would be right there at the wound, absorbing all the lifestream energy and becoming a god. His plan was to steal the entire planet's lifeforce to help himself, killing the planet in the process.

Which is why it's odd that Sephiroth now claims to care about the planet dying. Whether he is being serious or facetious remains to be seen.

But he didn't think it would kill the planet. Remember that he was running under the assumption that since we're all made of lifestream, him absorbing the planet's energy would let him and the planet become one and create a new existence. Killing Aerith wasn't a huge deal because she's going to live on as a part of him. He didn't understand that when a person dies, their ego dies with them unless they use their will to stop them from moving on, which is a lesson he learns the hard way before Advent Children happens.

I think he's being serious because what he's been saying reminded me of what Bugenhagen said about the planet. It's still going to die anyway, even without the mako reactors, and it's just a matter of when. That's just how the lifecycle works, even for planets. Sephiroth trying to think of how to extend the life of the planet is still self-serving too, if his "if the planet dies, so would our memories together" speech is anything to go by.

edit: Like I want to be clear that his meteor plan is still very much self serving, but his assumptions about that plan aren't, if that makes sense.