Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

That's coming awfully close to an unironic dulce et decorum est pro patria mori tbh

e: 1976 was when Jumbo Tsuruta challenged Terry Funk for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and failed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEXneiWdDSE

Venomous fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Venomous posted:

That's coming awfully close to an unironic dulce et decorum est pro patria mori tbh

Funny how they always miss the "The old Lie" at the start of that.

quote:

Dulce et Decorum Est
Wilfred Owen - 1893-1918

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Well, this is poo poo. Apologies, this is yet again about London. The Tube is already so expensive. And suspending Freedom Passes during busy times temporarily.

Fares to be hiked after TfL secures £1.6bn emergency bailout with Government to keep services running: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tfl-secures-bailout-keep-services-running-coronavirus-a4441091.html

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wooow what the gently caress (I know I know it's the mail).

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Almost like the Tories want to stir up British nationalist sentiments to the point where they want to pretend WWI never happened 🤔

Nah, I'm sure it's just a coincidence

e: I've said it before, but nationalism is loving poison, and the concept of dying for a nation is especially toxic

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bornbytheriver posted:

Well, this is poo poo. Apologies, this is yet again about London. The Tube is already so expensive. And suspending Freedom Passes during busy times temporarily.

Fares to be hiked after TfL secures £1.6bn emergency bailout with Government to keep services running: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tfl-secures-bailout-keep-services-running-coronavirus-a4441091.html

One of my friends is a keyworker and uses her over 60 pass to get to work (commuting during peaks) but she doesn't work 5 days a week so a season ticket wouldn't be value for money. Needless to say she is also down the bottom of the wage heap and this works out at approx £7.80 per day transport (zone4 - zone1).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So this is basically gleeful murder now.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

stev posted:

It's weird seeing Charlie Brooker happy and spending time with his family.

It’ll always make me laugh that their romcomesque meet-cute was him asking her to narrate the act of taking a piss.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

“Let our X be heroes” is the most terrifying euphemism I’ve ever heard.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of my friends is a keyworker and uses her over 60 pass to get to work (commuting during peaks) but she doesn't work 5 days a week so a season ticket wouldn't be value for money. Needless to say she is also down the bottom of the wage heap and this works out at approx £7.80 per day transport (zone4 - zone1).

Sorry to hear about your friend, Jaeluni. Some people over 60 have no choice but work, it's only a small minority of them travelling around London for leisure on their Freedom Passes.

The cost of commute in London is extortionate. Before the lock-down our management would not allow us to work from home, you had to submit a request days ahead to the manager who conveniently lives three Tube stops away from office. One of my colleagues, early 40's with two little kids and a part time working wife, was so stressed out by them forcing us to come to work 5 days/week, he had to tell our line manager at a staff meeting that could not afford coming to work. There was an awkward pause, red faces, and then the manager said, fine, please submit a special request to work from home. I was embarrassed for her.

Transport in London appears to be a class issue.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
There's a knock at the door. It's a friendly man from the council, with good news! You've been selected to be a hero!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angepain posted:

There's a knock at the door. It's a friendly man from the council, with good news! You've been selected to be a hero!

Which lucky hero will be thrown into the volcano to appease the gods infected to appease the FTSE today?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bornbytheriver posted:

Sorry to hear about your friend, Jaeluni. Some people over 60 have no choice but work, it's only a small minority of them travelling around London for leisure on their Freedom Passes.

The cost of commute in London is extortionate. Before the lock-down our management would not allow us to work from home, you had to submit a request days ahead to the manager who conveniently lives three Tube stops away from office. One of my colleagues, early 40's with two little kids and a part time working wife, was so stressed out by them forcing us to come to work 5 days/week, he had to tell our line manager at a staff meeting that could not afford coming to work. There was an awkward pause, red faces, and then the manager said, fine, please submit a special request to work from home. I was embarrassed for her.

Transport in London appears to be a class issue.

Many over 60s have to work unless they were in an organisation with a good pension scheme. State retirement age for my friend is 66 and who is employing people over 50 these days once you've been laid off?

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
It's horrible.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

“Let our X be heroes” is the most terrifying euphemism I’ve ever heard.

Also a weird echo of the channer "an hero" thing

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

stev posted:

Which lucky hero will be thrown into the volcano to appease the gods infected to appease the FTSE today?

Warhammer 40k used the idea of sacrificing 1000 innocent people a day to preserve the life support what's clearly the corpse of their former emperor as a grand horror.

Turns out reality was even shitter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

It's an impressively poo poo take.

How can anyone be so stupid and still draw breath without a reminder card taped in front of their eyes? If landlords go bankrupt the houses won't disappear in a puff of smoke. The banks will own them. And the banks will take over the rental agreement, because they're not going to pass up free money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you start pointing out that landlords are not the ontological anchor for housing stock then people might start asking what they're for and we can't have that.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Warhammer 40k used the idea of sacrificing 1000 innocent people a day to preserve the life support what's clearly the corpse of their former emperor as a grand horror.

Turns out reality was even shitter.

Hey murdering 1000 psykers gets you a lighthouse that's visible across the entire galaxy. In reality you get sarah ditum's house tidied up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 15, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
incredibly funny to me still that turbo terf columnist sarah ditum and her husband, formerly of yogscast now the least funny member of an occasionally entertaining playstation-based youtube channel, have caused a twitter class war because owen jones said they should probs clean their own house during a global pandemic

it's very 2020

e: i'm weirdly intrigued how such a disparate couple met and ended up marrying tbh lol

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who's her husband?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a fantastic poem, I watched this the other day weirdly enough (poem read by actor)

https://youtu.be/qB4cdRgIcB8

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

cant really justify voting for labour as long as this lot are in control of the party. and since they are nailed on to lose the next election, i never have to vote for labour again. which gives me an odd sense of relief.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jedit posted:

How can anyone be so stupid and still draw breath without a reminder card taped in front of their eyes? If landlords go bankrupt the houses won't disappear in a puff of smoke. The banks will own them. And the banks will take over the rental agreement, because they're not going to pass up free money.

She's not stupid: it's entirely wilful blindness. Like I was saying about the soft left generally, these are the words and attitude of someone whose take on politics is essentially managerial: they don't think that substantially changing the system is either possible or desirable, they just think that they'd do a better job of running the exisiting system than the current officeholders. If you have that stance, then acknowledging that things could be different, even in theory is a big no-no: the absolute bedrock of your belief has to be that the current system is the only possible one and it can be tweaked but never significantly altered.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1261170934406418433

hahaha

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gh0stpinballa posted:

cant really justify voting for labour as long as this lot are in control of the party. and since they are nailed on to lose the next election, i never have to vote for labour again. which gives me an odd sense of relief.

If this was all secret then yeah there’s a problem, but if we all publicly humiliate them whenever they step out of line and bring them the heel then that’s a good thing

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

If this was all secret then yeah there’s a problem, but if we all publicly humiliate them whenever they step out of line and bring them the heel then that’s a good thing

That would be nice but roasting them on Twitter is meaningless (if cathartic). The general public get their opinions from the papers, and those that aren't Tory promoters (or setting Tory policy for them) looove forensic Starmer and his band of merry means-testers.

Labour are still gonna get ridden roughshod in the next election but there's no way they're getting dragged back leftwards before then.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

:umberto:

Umberto Eco posted:

11. In such a perspective everybody is educated to become a hero. In every mythology the hero is an exceptional being, but in Ur-Fascist ideology, heroism is the norm. This cult of heroism is strictly linked with the cult of death. It is not by chance that a motto of the Falangists was Viva la Muerte (in English it should be translated as "Long Live Death!"). In non-fascist societies, the lay public is told that death is unpleasant but must be faced with dignity; believers are told that it is the painful way to reach a supernatural happiness. By contrast, the Ur-Fascist hero craves heroic death, advertised as the best reward for a heroic life. The Ur-Fascist hero is impatient to die. In his impatience, he more frequently sends other people to death.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
For the landlords, not the many.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This thought did cross my mind when I read it. What a shitehawk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Who's her husband?
Nathan.

He's something of a latter day philosopher.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The readers will know, and care that the teachers union is made up of teachers won't they?

Ha ha, just kidding.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

Nathan.

He's something of a latter day philosopher.

didn't know Yogscast had their own Psi Corps

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I earnestly hope that everyone involved in writing and printing this gets corona and has to lie alone on a hospital bed slowly drowning in the remains of their own lungs.

I'm honestly so disgusted. The government is cracking on with this knowing that is going to definitely kill teachers, will probably kill a lot of the kids' families, and will also kill at least a few kids.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I earnestly hope that everyone involved in writing and printing this gets corona and has to lie alone on a hospital bed slowly drowning in the remains of their own lungs.

I'm honestly so disgusted. The government is cracking on with this knowing that is going to definitely kill teachers, will probably kill a lot of the kids' families, and will also kill at least a few kids.

And it's not just the teachers, their families, the kids, and their families, either. it's putting more people into contact with each other during a pandemic of a disease that has a two loving week asymptomatic transmission period.

Those teachers and their families still have to buy food and supplies. They still have to take the bus. They still have to be in a building which needs cleaning and maintenance. Those children still have to be fed, which food needs buying, cooking, and serving, etc etc etc.

And of course, the fash rag is making them hErOeS, and will no doubt be clapping for them next week. Then excoriating the week after for not being heroic enough when they start loving dying of plague.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pistol_Pete posted:

She's not stupid: it's entirely wilful blindness. Like I was saying about the soft left generally, these are the words and attitude of someone whose take on politics is essentially managerial: they don't think that substantially changing the system is either possible or desirable, they just think that they'd do a better job of running the exisiting system than the current officeholders. If you have that stance, then acknowledging that things could be different, even in theory is a big no-no: the absolute bedrock of your belief has to be that the current system is the only possible one and it can be tweaked but never significantly altered.

Oh ye gods! My country's ruined!

But what if... I were to take the existing system and disguise it as my own? Oh ho ho, delightfully devilish, Star-mour.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

bessantj posted:

The readers will know, and care that the teachers union is made up of teachers won't they?

Ha ha, just kidding.

Unions, both completely defanged so there's no point joining, and yet powerful enough to prevent an entire profession from returning to work against their wishes. By a continuing shifting of the rhetorical focus...

Lots of my colleagues who scabbed during our last strike are now joining, which is nice to see, but I wish we didn't have to have a global pandemic before people saw the value in unions. I know lots of people are joining for protection rather than a desire for or belief in collective action but the initial buy-in has happened so that's good.

I would also hope that enough people know a teacher to know that header is bullshit and "magnificent" teachers don't want to go back til it's safe and don't want to be dead heroes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The basis of class organization is material need, not ideology. Ideology is something that happens en-masse because it speaks to people's material needs. It's a hone to put an edge on what could otherwise be directionless need.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

thespaceinvader posted:

And of course, the fash rag is making them hErOeS, and will no doubt be clapping for them next week. Then excoriating the week after for not being heroic enough when they start loving dying of plague.
No, no! Dying of plague is heroic! But you know what's unheroic? complaining about it or trying to do anything to stop it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Dying is very heroic in fascism. The most heroic thing you can do is die, say the leaders.

No

Not

That!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like if you google "basque space program" you get that as the first result :v: