Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Virgilghazi ain't going away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That's some real "Chapo humor".

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Goddamn Amber is a good writer.
https://damagemag.com/2020/05/14/im-not-wearing-a-mask/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But also didn't you just get probed for posting obnoxiously in a podcast thread you don't even listen to?

I feel like SA should be the place where we're able to laugh about the weirdo grafter podcasts.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t think you know what either a grift or a graft is.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lambert posted:

Chapo is a crap tier podcast, a bunch of loudmouth Bernie stans spouting uninformed crap.

I don't think we should measure others by that standard.

yeah that's why we like it. the "experts in the room" are and always have been liars and spouting off poo poo that contradicts them is cool and fun

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Normally I'd agree but I still can neither sympathize or relate to her on this

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lambert posted:

What exactly is the appeal of the Dollop? I really don't see it.

gareth reynolds extremely solid accent work

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Slanderer posted:

Normally I'd agree but I still can neither sympathize or relate to her on this

did you read it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

after filing the 100th email of "Better Together from your friends at BRAND!" into my spam bin, this was much needed

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Well, she's certainly good at stretching a point that could be made in the size of a tweet into a full essay.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Heath posted:

did you read it

yes and i could neither relate nor sympathize. she's losing her mind over not being able to complain about minor shared discomforts. its not "fun" for anyone (her complaints about brands and marketing trying to make it fun are irrelevant, they are as empty of meaning as ever), but it's something we all have to deal with, and clearly many people don't want to hear complaints about poo poo that they can't fix.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
there is a point to be made about covid-themed commercial advertising that could be expanded on---everyone hates them lol, which should make it obvious how people who run ad campaigns are almost uniformly morons with no clue what they're doing. the whole industry is a grift

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

sirtommygunn posted:

Well, she's certainly good at stretching a point that could be made in the size of a tweet into a full essay.

You know poo poo's dire when someone expounds on something and someone says "couldn't this have just been a tweet"

how dare she make me entertain a thought for more than the bare minimum amount of time. Make it 250 characters or less please Jesus loving Christ

Heath fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 15, 2020

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

i love amber's inverse clickbait strategy of coming at you with a horrible title and then expanding on it that makes you realize "oh that's what she meant, she's right"

once again, amber is correct. people shouldn't pretend that wearing the masks or doing social distancing is a fun and pleasurable activity. this sucks bad for everyone. our lives are worse for it, even though it's a necessary sacrifice. stop trying to pretend it's anything but that

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
it doesn't suck that bad. cope.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Slanderer posted:

It loving sucks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The one good thing we can take from this pandemic is that it's normalized wearing masks right as cops were about to go wild with facial recognition software.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I haven't heard anyone say it's cool and good that we have to social distance and wear masks.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Slanderer posted:

I work in a hospital and I have to wear a mask all the goddamn time and it's frustrating as poo poo that the only place I can get away from it is to go out and hike somewhere. I did that the other day on my day off so I could get out and actually breathe some air and be away from it all and this bitchy couple nearby yelled at everyone on the trail (me included) for not wearing masks even though we were up on a windy mountain in the goddamn woods and we were all keeping distance from each other and the "masks" they were wearing were just handkerchiefs with open bottoms

And I found myself in a very conflicted place because they were probably vulnerable and afraid and they have every right to feel the way they do but also my visceral twitching at being scolded for going to the one place where social distancing is explicitly the goal and using my one day off to breathe and feel human and serene was repeatedly disturbed by being scolded about not wearing a mask and I wanted to tell them to gently caress off but I didn't because these people have their own motivations and fears that we're all experiencing but goddamn did I ever want to just yell at these literally faceless people whose humanity I couldn't see but whose anger and fear I could feel

So shut the gently caress up please, I will continue wearing my mask everywhere else but if I don't vent about it I will go insane

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You guys must be a bunch of Jim Carreys because these are some pretty strong feelings on the mask :haw:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slanderer posted:

the line management version of the PMC's “I hear you I see you you’re valid"

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

AKA getting paid.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Heath posted:

I work in a hospital and I have to wear a mask all the goddamn time and it's frustrating as poo poo that the only place I can get away from it is to go out and hike somewhere. I did that the other day on my day off so I could get out and actually breathe some air and be away from it all and this bitchy couple nearby yelled at everyone on the trail (me included) for not wearing masks even though we were up on a windy mountain in the goddamn woods and we were all keeping distance from each other and the "masks" they were wearing were just handkerchiefs with open bottoms

And I found myself in a very conflicted place because they were probably vulnerable and afraid and they have every right to feel the way they do but also my visceral twitching at being scolded for going to the one place where social distancing is explicitly the goal and using my one day off to breathe and feel human and serene was repeatedly disturbed by being scolded about not wearing a mask and I wanted to tell them to gently caress off but I didn't because these people have their own motivations and fears that we're all experiencing but goddamn did I ever want to just yell at these literally faceless people whose humanity I couldn't see but whose anger and fear I could feel

So shut the gently caress up please, I will continue wearing my mask everywhere else but if I don't vent about it I will go insane

what you may have considered to be unacceptable scolding might have been to them expressing social responsibility, shouted out to be heard without getting close.

some people have fallen into a rhetorical pothole over the social contract. we don't want to call the cops on people violating quarantine rules, because the cops will actively make things worse. communities should take responsibility for themselves, we're told. but mild public rebukes is the very least of what that looks like. if the response to people openly flouting rules meant to protect everyone is "mind your own business", then we're the same as the texas dipshits standing outside hairdressers telling reporters that it should be up to every individual to decide if they want to risk getting sick.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Heath posted:

You know poo poo's dire when someone expounds on something and someone says "couldn't this have just been a tweet"

how dare she make me entertain a thought for more than the bare minimum amount of time. Make it 250 characters or less please Jesus loving Christ

Good writing includes being concise. No need to act like it's the fall of civilization because someone doesn't want to read 5 pages of "wearing a mask is necessary, but can we all agree it sucks rear end???".

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Slanderer posted:

what you may have considered to be unacceptable scolding might have been to them expressing social responsibility, shouted out to be heard without getting close.

some people have fallen into a rhetorical pothole over the social contract. we don't want to call the cops on people violating quarantine rules, because the cops will actively make things worse. communities should take responsibility for themselves, we're told. but mild public rebukes is the very least of what that looks like. if the response to people openly flouting rules meant to protect everyone is "mind your own business", then we're the same as the texas dipshits standing outside hairdressers telling reporters that it should be up to every individual to decide if they want to risk getting sick.

Oh, you're the kind of person she was writing about.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sirtommygunn posted:

Good writing includes being concise. No need to act like it's the fall of civilization because someone doesn't want to read 5 pages of "wearing a mask is necessary, but can we all agree it sucks rear end???".

It literally took 5 minutes to read

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Childless media people who are sad they can't go to their regular bars and are inconvenienced by public health measures are the true heroes

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

sirtommygunn posted:

all things should be expressed in 3 emojis or less

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
He's right. Novelists should pack it in. Stick to essays. They should have caught up with that whale on page loving three. :rolleyes:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You can honestly tell Amber is an excellent writer because she immediately drew out exactly the kind of people to make the exact scolding point she was talking about.

Art is about invoking emotions after all.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Slanderer posted:

It's not a rhetorical pothole, it's talking about the emotional response to something. I perfectly understand the rhetorical aspect of it, I am literally in the #3 highest infected county in my state.

The topic is an emotional one, and what I'm trying to tell you is that the emotional weight is loving heavy. Not seeing human faces and being away from people is absolutely withering, even if I have a perfect rational understanding of the reasons why, and I think I do because my department is across the hall from the loving morgue that was originally designed to hold 2 bodies at a time and now holds 9 and during the worst of it I was seeing our house sup and security roll 2-3 bodies in there on some nights in hazmat gear.

It's no wonder you can't sympathize if you could read what I wrote about my emotional state, being irritated and conflicted and trying to keep myself in check using that very rhetoric and logical reasoning (and for what it's worth, I did) only to have you tell me I'm apparently "the same" as some theoretical Texan Karen hairdresser. Just because you're a robot doesn't mean that I am.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah guys it's a lot better to to write in a way that repeats the same point over and over. You see how I'm saying the same thing multiple times? That means the writing is better. Repeating the same points does not grate at all on the reader, it's good actually. In fact, this post has been improved significantly because it's long. Yes, this post is indeed much better than it could have been, because I used many more words to convey the exact same amount of thought. Anyone who thinks this is bad writing is a baby, a dumb stupid baby, an incredible moron who probably can't read.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

thotsky posted:

He's right. Novelists should pack it in. Stick to essays. They should have caught up with that whale on page loving three. :rolleyes:

Perhaps there is some form of content to a novel that makes it worth the length to read. No, clearly it's just that using more words is inherently superior. I am smart.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

snoremac posted:

all things should be expressed in 3 emojis or less

Why didn't you write at least 10 paragraphs to make this point? You're such a bad writer.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Heath posted:

It's not a rhetorical pothole, it's talking about the emotional response to something. I perfectly understand the rhetorical aspect of it, I am literally in the #3 highest infected county in my state.

The topic is an emotional one, and what I'm trying to tell you is that the emotional weight is loving heavy. Not seeing human faces and being away from people is absolutely withering, even if I have a perfect rational understanding of the reasons why, and I think I do because my department is across the hall from the loving morgue that was originally designed to hold 2 bodies at a time and now holds 9 and during the worst of it I was seeing our house sup and security roll 2-3 bodies in there on some nights in hazmat gear.

It's no wonder you can't sympathize if you could read what I wrote about my emotional state, being irritated and conflicted and trying to keep myself in check using that very rhetoric and logical reasoning (and for what it's worth, I did) only to have you tell me I'm apparently "the same" as some theoretical Texan Karen hairdresser. Just because you're a robot doesn't mean that I am.

I should have clarified that the second paragraph was not addressed at you specifically, more at the people complaining about scolds and karens.

but lol @ calling me a robot, which might be fair. but it's more that the very concept of publicly "venting" is completely alien to me and the culture i was raised in. if im complaining publicly, it's because i want to fix or change something.

namaste

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

sirtommygunn posted:

Why didn't you write at least 10 paragraphs to make this point? You're such a bad writer.

Mother fucker you got so worked up about it that you triple posted

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Heath posted:

Mother fucker you got so worked up about it that you triple posted

You're right, add another to the meltdown May list. I am ashamed.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

If you can't see the essay as an incisive read that couldn't compact all its points and its emotional layer in a single tweet then go off I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

sirtommygunn posted:

You're right, add another to the meltdown May list. I am ashamed.

We're all in this meltingdown may pot together. Let's all kiss, from a distance