Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Definitely not re-doing this thread when Gen-Con gets cancelled, particularly as it will make it even easier when 2021 also gets cancelled

That said, if Hilton does not change its non-refundable policy I really am still probably going to go and just eat Sugarfire Smokehouse twice a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Definitely not re-doing this thread when Gen-Con gets cancelled, particularly as it will make it even easier when 2021 also gets cancelled

That said, if Hilton does not change its non-refundable policy I really am still probably going to go and just eat Sugarfire Smokehouse twice a day

They’re not going to cancel unless it’s mandated by the state or the convention center, otherwise GenCon would be completely hosed financially.

When that occurs, the hotels won’t have a choice about refunding things. So as long as nobody tries to cancel their room now, they should be fine.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I would mostly be irate about having had a primo time slot for booking a room turn out to be a bust

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Sloober posted:

I would mostly be irate about having had a primo time slot for booking a room turn out to be a bust

I would say that I take some schadenfreude in this since I get perennially screwed in the housing lottery but, uh, a pandemic is kind of a lot to counter balance whatever small joy I may take.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I definitely had a moment where I felt like a supervillain last night when smiling to myself about how NASCRAG was cancelled.

On the plus side, it made me feel like I am finally over my NASCRAG bitterness now that I realize I do not, in fact, wish for a global pandemic just to stop them from running at Gen-Con. In fact, I like NASCRAG now. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER, BABY

Except the literal manslaughterer-in-chief ordering meat packing plant workers to die for capitalism

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

I would say that I take some schadenfreude in this since I get perennially screwed in the housing lottery but, uh, a pandemic is kind of a lot to counter balance whatever small joy I may take.

this is the first year i've done it where i was not assigned a 6+ hour post opening slot

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Well there was an update today

quote:

While we evaluate safety measures related to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, both the release of the event catalog and the opening of event registration will be delayed. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time. We will update our community with the measures we are taking to keep everyone safe and healthy in the coming weeks.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I cancelled my badge today, rip :(

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I want a badge for The Convention That Never Happened.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That sure sounds like they’re just waiting for official word that they can’t have it and they’re not going to add a bunch of work they’ll inevitably have to undo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Does anyone remember a booth at last year's Gen Con that sold framed wall art made of wood? Specifically like a mosaic style? I bought something from them (it's a recreation of the face of the demon statue from the 1e d&d cover) and I can't find their name/website anymore.

Here's what I got from them.

Edit: Someone on Reddit found it for me https://metrovistadesign.com/wallbuddies

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 2, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

sportsgenius86 posted:

That sure sounds like they’re just waiting for official word that they can’t have it and they’re not going to add a bunch of work they’ll inevitably have to undo.
Yeah, it really does. For as much as they are not going to come right out and say it (I wonder if it is somehow legally problematic to openly say "yeah just waiting out the government order lolol!"), it is kind of impossible to envision even the craziest state (which Indiana does not qualify for, this time anyway) going from "50% capacity restaurants are maybe O.K." to "sure, bring 50,000 hygiene-poor people to a convention center" in two months.

But yes, I definitely want a Gen Con 2020: ROTFLMAO badge too. Gen-Corona

"Great-grampa, I know you think the Dust Bowl was bad, but have you ever had to skip eating at Sugarfire Smokehouse after a day of contemplating purchasing things at a game auction? That is character-building, old man"

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So the Governor has released his plan to reopen the state and the pertinent part is

quote:

Stage 5 would begin July 4. Fairs, festivals and sporting events can resume, with social distancing guidelines. Remote work will still be optional. Retails stores, gyms, personal services and dining can operate at full capacity. Restrictions will be lifted at amusement parks and like facilities.

That is also assuming they move to phase 4 on time which they aren't sure if its a sure thing, which judging by the lack of people using face mask around here is doubtful.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I mean, that's cool and all but social distancing at Gencon is only possible if 80% of the attendees and 50% of the vendors don't show up.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I'm not gonna go even if it happens officially, I have immunocompromised folx at home so I'll probably be on lockdown well past July at this rate.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea my group has already decided not to go, we’re just not canceling anything until we have to. We’re just meeting up at a friends place for a weekend to game.

As for the legal side, I help run a 3,000 person convention each summer for work and our legal team has been advising us to just delay as much as we can and act like everything is going forward as planned, even though we’re all pretty sure it’s getting cancelled.

We have minimum amounts of space rental and concessions we have to meet at the convention center and room minimums/food & beverage mins at the hotels and they don’t want us saying or doing anything where they could go after any portion of it.

Essentially if the natural course of events leads to way lower turnout, there’s a case to make for bringing those minimums down. If we do anything that could be construed as encouraging someone to cancel a reservation, we lose that leverage.

Based on what those figures are for our significantly smaller event, you’re talking tens of millions GenCon could potentially be hosed out of if they even hint at canceling before they’re forced to.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would love a 2020 badge if it gets cancelled but I don't want to pay $110 or whatever for it if I'm not going.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Man, the one year I had everything lined up ahead of time, too. I assume they'll default to crediting everyone's account for next year.

Gonna hold off on my AirBnb until end of May, unless their policy changes.

Although it might be interesting to actually see Indianapolis; despite spending most of a month there over the years, I've never gone more than 2 blocks outside the city core or away from my motel. Is there anything worth seeing?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Cobalt-60 posted:

Although it might be interesting to actually see Indianapolis; despite spending most of a month there over the years, I've never gone more than 2 blocks outside the city core or away from my motel. Is there anything worth seeing?

Indianapolis resident here - no, not really. Indy is a great place to live but not much of a place for tourism outside of conventions.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Though it definitely becomes a better place for tourism once you become a regular Gen Con attendee, as doing literally anything you did during one of your previous visits automatically feels way nostalgic and delightful on top of whatever other fun it would be normally.

I could definitely fill much of July 30 - August 2 by going from place to place within a mile of the Convention Center while "I Will Remember You" plays in the background

Pangaea Ultima
Sep 7, 2005

I have very fond memories of Indianapolis, but that's mostly because I used to live in Lafayette. Indy doesn't have a lot going on judged from any kind of broad perspective, but grading on the Lafayette curve it was a real life saver.

I was really stoked about going to my second Gen Con this year. My Indy nostalgia is sort of intertwined with my Gen Con nostalgia.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I used to think I was the world's biggest Gen-Con fan, but reading some of these people making earnest suggestions about how to MAKE SURE GEN-CON HAPPENS just kind of make me nauseous

A Sad Person posted:

There's still mesure that be taken, if the virus goes down and the indiana 5-step plan goes accordingly
1: Mask for everyone
2: vendor hall extend to hall C and D
3: put curtains between hall B and C
4: Only allow event ticket owner in Hall B and A and all other events room
5: By extending the vendor hall to hall C and D you can make larger alley
6: Vendor hall only open the door near paizo and exit at the end of hall C or D
7: Traffic in vendor goes only one way (up alley 1, down alley 2, up alley 3... and you must browse them all in order to limit people that cross each other
8: All publishers can do a preorder system on BGG, so no rush for the latest games (that preorder system already exist)
9: Publishers can hand catalog of their products for you to keep in lieu of everybody grabbing everything, so by looking at the catalog, you'll have the same info as if you grabbed the box (catalog can be only sheets of paper)
10: ask the city to close more roads to spread the food truck
11: put tents outside with tent wall to install gaming table
12: put Hall C and D tables in LOS
13: Hand sanitizer on each demo and gaming table, so no need to wash the games after it's been played
14: Ship every event tickets and badges to USA resident, so the will call will only consist of foreign people
15: the convention center close at night, so workers can clean up everything
16: seating at event or lunch table are: 1 person per 2 chair and nobody in front of you
17: shuttle: 1 person per seat
18: try renting other big rooms for event in a 1 or 2 miles radius
19: more police control
20: no big crownd allowed, like the ones on tursday morning
21: transfer badges to 2021 from people who comes from countries still heavily impacted by the visrus (or refund them)
22: like with the vendor hall, only one entrance and one exit to the convention center (or maybe 2 each)
23: put gaming tables along the walls in alley
24: make all the convention alley a one way (people navigate following arrows
25: cancel badges if someone doesn't follow those rules
Those are just ideas. Some of them better than others. I just wanted to show that it is possible to have a convention by following strict guidelines

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Some idiot posted:

20: no big crownd allowed, like the ones on tursday morning

Just make it a rule there can't be big crowds, so easy!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

quote:

17: shuttle: 1 person per seat
I've never taken the shuttles before but, drat, some wild poo poo must be going on.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

quote:

21: transfer badges to 2021 from people who comes from countries still heavily impacted by the visrus (or refund them)

Sorry USA residents, no gencon 2020 for you

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

only one entrance in and one exit out of every location, staffed by "more police control" and over 400,000 hand sanitizer dispensers, plus like half a million masks? love it, excellent stuff

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

only one entrance in and one exit out of every location, staffed by "more police control" and over 400,000 hand sanitizer dispensers, plus like half a million masks? love it, excellent stuff

I mean, it’s basically PAX, and people love that poo poo for some reason.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just close more roads so we can have food trucks spread out more, ez.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

26: Cancel every badge except for 10 selected at random, that's Gencon now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

As we get closer and closer I'm starting to worry that Gencon actually IS going to happen and will be a complete debacle. I assumed they were holding out to be forced to cancel for insurance purposes, but with Indiana "re-opened" who knows if that's actually going to happen.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
27: Overall try to make sure the literal most fun annual event in the world is now less fun than scraping ice off your car to go to work on a winter morning
28: Ban cosplayers because GEN CON IS FOR GAMING BUG CHASERS ONLY
29: 600 bomb-sniffing dogs retrained to sniff Coronavirus
30: No "free hugs" shirts

The Moon Monster posted:

As we get closer and closer I'm starting to worry that Gencon actually IS going to happen and will be a complete debacle. I assumed they were holding out to be forced to cancel for insurance purposes, but with Indiana "re-opened" who knows if that's actually going to happen.
Yeah I am right there with you, I never once thought there could be a circumstance where I would be worried I WOULD be able to attend Gen-Con

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If they do hold Gencon I'm not going as long as people are still wearing masks. Not out of any weird mask thing, I just don't want to see anyone wearing an agehao mask.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

I'm curious just how many vendors and volunteers would still do Gencon this year if it didn't cancel.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'll be there with my booth if gen con forces me to (normally if you miss a year you cant get back in) but I've written them with my hope they cancel and they wrote back an encouraging email on that front. I really get the impression they want to cancel but cant do so right now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If Gov. Holcomb is smart (not gonna hold my breath) he'll realize the foolhardiness of just opening the gently caress up and start clamping down again. Indiana sucks but there's no reason to be the Florida or Georgia of the Midwest. That's supposed to be Kansas.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
It's going to 100% have to be their decision at this point because I don't see indy forcing them to cancel/reschedule it. There was an article last week in the IBJ about how they are currently working on rescheduling as many events as they can for the ICC before the end of the year starting in July, so they are determined to salvage as much revenue as possible and in that article Gen Con was far away the largest source of revenue by double every event but 1.

Also in semi Gen Con news Steak N Shake is closing 91 locations. Now I imagine that the one in circle center isn't going to be one of them but I can't imagine where all those con goers will end up for steadily declining food if it does.

Losem fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 15, 2020

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Indiana sucks but there's no reason to be the Florida or Georgia of the Midwest. That's supposed to be Kansas.

Wisconsin is playing that role now.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Add this to the list of ways to save gencon

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1261048907880181761

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
So new rule then, everyone has to cosplay but your costume must incorporate latex/nitrile gloves and a properly fitted/worn N95 rated mask.

EDIT: When reports of COVID started up I did have to wonder what the Pandemic booth would look like and if it'd be considered poor taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Wisconsin is playing that role now.
And Iowa has been knocking it out of the park in terms of incompetence and denial since Day 1.