Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Yeah, I thought it would be an interesting build but it's my powerstanced UGS character, but worse in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I'm playing this for the first time and just got to Dragon Aerie which is blocked by a stone statue and I just used my last two Branches on the two stone statues in Aldia's Keep that essentially gave me nothing and I'm pretty annoyed!! I have absolutely no idea which of the Branches I've picked up and which I haven't besides a few of the obvious ones (like the ones you buy), and am not looking forward to following a Wiki to track the one(?) remaining one down. :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mancalamania posted:

I'm playing this for the first time and just got to Dragon Aerie which is blocked by a stone statue and I just used my last two Branches on the two stone statues in Aldia's Keep that essentially gave me nothing and I'm pretty annoyed!! I have absolutely no idea which of the Branches I've picked up and which I haven't besides a few of the obvious ones (like the ones you buy), and am not looking forward to following a Wiki to track the one(?) remaining one down. :(

There is a zip-line that lets you skip the area and it is mostly only good for invasions and upgrade material farming anyway.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The good news is that there's a zipline that'll zoop you right to the end of the Dragon Aerie, so you can work your way backward through the level if you want. (Or just not do it. That's also an option.) You don't have to Flagrant Yore the statue to get to the zipline; it used to be a shortcut you had to unlock in the original version, but they made it unlocked by default in SotFS.

The bad news is that if completionism makes you want Flagrant Yore that statue, you will basically need to check a wiki. My advice is to not use the Fextralife wiki because it's generally garbage and use the wikidot instead.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks! I ended up checking the Wiki and by some miracle the first one I checked was the one (or one of the ones) I didn't pick up.

Now I'm collecting giant souls and I guess I'm getting to the end of the game minus the DLC? Am I correct that I can just keep playing and once I beat the final boss I can still go back to complete optional areas / DLC without starting NG+ automatically?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

mancalamania posted:

Thanks! I ended up checking the Wiki and by some miracle the first one I checked was the one (or one of the ones) I didn't pick up.

Now I'm collecting giant souls and I guess I'm getting to the end of the game minus the DLC? Am I correct that I can just keep playing and once I beat the final boss I can still go back to complete optional areas / DLC without starting NG+ automatically?

Yes, after beating the final boss you have to manually trigger NG+ at the Majula bonfire.

The final boss is "interesting" though, in that who is technically the FINAL boss depends on whether you've beaten an optional boss in a different area that actually doesn't tell you it's a boss, but which gets easier to beat (decrreases damage resistance by a factor of 2) for every Soul of a Giant you have in your inventory. (you want at least four, most likely) If you beat that optional boss, you get an extra bonus final boss. I think you can trigger the bonus final boss after beating the normal final boss because there's technically no reason why you wouldn't be able to, but I wouldn't quote me on that.

I'll spoiler a hint about the optional boss that unlocks the bonus final boss and then spoiler the actual spoiler:
hint it's who you'd have to fight if this game was dark souls 1

spoiler vendrick becomes a boss if you hit him enough

(Also, the final boss arena has a pre-final boss you can fight at any time after getting access to the arena. You can avoid doing a back to back (to back) fight if you want, though you can always bone out and come back, as with any other boss fight)

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

I haven't played this game in a long time, haven't beaten it yet. Should I play the base game that I have, (which I have no dlcs for) or get SotFS if I want to get back into the game? Starting from the beginning.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
go play sotfs, way better and the DLC is amazing

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SotFS, especially if you'll be starting a new game anyway.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
SotFS if you want co-op opportunities and invasions.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Okay, I'll have to buy it when I get the chance to.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
SotFS is too hard for me, and I bet I'm not the only one, but if you're confident and/or you don't mind constantly dying to bullshit, that's the way to go.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Are you preaching to the 'silent majority'

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

SotFS is too hard for me, and I bet I'm not the only one, but if you're confident and/or you don't mind constantly dying to bullshit, that's the way to go.
If you’re one PC, you may want to check the Vanilla Restoration Project mod over on DS2 nexus.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The game didn't need eight more of every single enemy, that's all I'm saying. Moving the dull ember rules though, and they made the Pursuer actually pursue you, enabled the obvious shortcut in the wharf, and some other cool things. And it comes with the DLC, two of which are some of the best poo poo in Souls games.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

LordOfTheNoobs posted:

Okay, I'll have to buy it when I get the chance to.

Hey Noobs, just to let you know your Steam account has been hacked. It's sending scam messages to everyone on your friends list.

Sorry to post this here, but I don't know a better way to get in contact if steam is hacked.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

Hey Noobs, just to let you know your Steam account has been hacked. It's sending scam messages to everyone on your friends list.

Sorry to post this here, but I don't know a better way to get in contact if steam is hacked.

:darksouls:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BigHandsVince posted:

Is there any way to play the original DS2 on PS4?

It sounded like something I'd be more into than SOTFS.

Really late quote but no, the only release on PS4/Xbox One is Scholar version. If you want to play vanilla DS2 you have to get a copy on PC, PS3 or Xbox 360. Even so, you can get a cheap DS2 SOTFS for Xbox 360 and PS3 and it's vanilla DS2 with the DLC included, without the changes of the scholar versions of PC/PS4/Xbone (sounds weird but is like that).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I just spent two hours running around the gutter looking for the Wicked Eye shield which I probably wont use anyway.

There’s no boss here?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

I just spent two hours running around the gutter looking for the Wicked Eye shield which I probably wont use anyway.

There’s no boss here?

No boss.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Nope, there's no boss in the Gutter itself. The area after the Gutter is basically Gutter II: The Secret of the Ooze and that's where you'll find the boss.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Quarantine has me playing through this one more time. Something keeps me coming back to ds2, even though I've played all the other games in the series.

I'm trying a faith build and I'm looking for a decent late game weapon to go with 50 faith. I'm about to tackle the dlc and I've used the mace and Dragonslayer axe up until now, but they lack reach. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a chime that's better than the priest's chime for miracles?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Afriscipio posted:

Quarantine has me playing through this one more time. Something keeps me coming back to ds2, even though I've played all the other games in the series.

I'm trying a faith build and I'm looking for a decent late game weapon to go with 50 faith. I'm about to tackle the dlc and I've used the mace and Dragonslayer axe up until now, but they lack reach. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a chime that's better than the priest's chime for miracles?

IIRC dragon chime is best for miracles. As for faith weapons with reach maybe thorned greatsword, dragonslayer spear, or heide spear/lance/greatlance. Could also slap boltstone on some random polearm.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Dragon chime scales the best at S. Priest’s Chime at A, but it casts faster. So it depends on if you want slightly more damage or slightly more caster speed. Both are good depending on the exact nature of your build.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ive always believed that Scholar wasn't exactly harder than the original. I think in some areas it adds enemies but from what I remember, it removes enemies from other locations.

I think I actually rank the Souls games in their order of release. DS1, DS2, then DS3 last.

But man, DS2 has some really pretty environments in some places. Like Heide's Tower of Flame looks like a place I would actually want to visit in real life.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

How does the Rat covenant work? Do I have to wear the rat ring and hang out in the Grave of Saint or Doors of Pharros to get invaders?

I get summoned for co-op pretty regularly, but are there too few people playing DS2 now for rat summons? Playing on PS4.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

How does the Rat covenant work? Do I have to wear the rat ring and hang out in the Grave of Saint or Doors of Pharros to get invaders?

I get summoned for co-op pretty regularly, but are there too few people playing DS2 now for rat summons? Playing on PS4.
Exactly. Unfortunately the split playerbase, the drop in active players, and the optional nature of the two areas combine to prevent you from getting many hits these days. If you want to grind up covenant rewards you're better off doing the offline method. Each time you fight a ratboss you get a tail, and you can quickly get the required 35 by farming the Royal Rat Vanguard with Bonfire Ascetics on the second Grave of Saints bonfire. Also wear some item find gear because its adds drop tails but at a very low rate.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

^^

Thanks, then I'll just keep doing White soapstone coop. I played DS3, then DS1 offline, and DS2 is the first Souls I'm playing online.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

DS2 is top tier for casual co-op with randos. Small soapstone was a great add, wish it was in DS3.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

On my way to the Shrine of Winter soon. Are the bosses in this game way easier than in DS3 or DS1?

So far the only one giving me any grief are the Pursuer and Ruin Sentinels (until I read a guide and brought a hammer). I summoned Lucatiel for Smelter Demon and Scorpion Tank for Najka, but done all other bosses solo.

In DS3 I was stuck on several bosses for days or more, looking at you Watchers :argh:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

axolotl farmer posted:

On my way to the Shrine of Winter soon. Are the bosses in this game way easier than in DS3 or DS1?

So far the only one giving me any grief are the Pursuer and Ruin Sentinels (until I read a guide and brought a hammer). I summoned Lucatiel for Smelter Demon and Scorpion Tank for Najka, but done all other bosses solo.

In DS3 I was stuck on several bosses for days or more, looking at you Watchers :argh:

for the most part, yes. the dlc bosses are much harder but still well short of DS3's ballcrushing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

Yes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Dark Souls 2 is the inverse of Dark Souls 3. It has the hardest areas in the series, but the easiest bosses.

The DLC boss s, particularly in Brune Tower, step up the difficulty which includes one of the hardest bosses in the entire series. But the base game bosses are a cake walk once you level up adaptability.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Does DS2 end once you link the fire like DS1, or leave you in the world to visit the DLC like DS3?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

axolotl farmer posted:

Does DS2 end once you link the fire like DS1, or leave you in the world to visit the DLC like DS3?
You go back to Majula but you should finish all of the DLC before you complete the main game anyways.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Thanks, alright I’ll be heading over to The Profaned Captial Sunken City then!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'm playing through the Sunken City for the first time and it's real good. Definitely my favorite of the DLCs.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the inverse of Dark Souls 3. It has the hardest areas in the series, but the easiest bosses.

Who's the sadist that thought respawning Heide knights after the Dragon Rider/Before Ornstein was a good idea? :argh:

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 17, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FastestGunAlive posted:

I'm playing through the Sunken City for the first time and it's real good. Definitely my favorite of the DLCs.

Great design, great atmosphere, great bosses. It might be my favorite Dark Souls area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chalupa Joe posted:

Who's the sadist that thought respawning Heide knights after the Dragon Rider/Before Ornstein was a good idea? :argh:

Ya I think Heide knights are cool looking and were a very good atmosphere thing before SOTFS, but actually fighting them is almost as annoying as those stupid dogs in the gutter. Like that's practically half of what makes them hard is how they zip around.