Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also I want to think that someone realized that 80% of the tourist revenue has been being siphoned off to huge off-island hotel megacorps and doesn’t actually help any locals at all. as far as I can tell we actually make most of our money from the military and foreign investment anyway.

shovelbum posted:

Hawaii seems nice to live in, cheaper than the tech bro hell cities that make up most of the other West Coast options these days I guess. Haven't been out there in six years or so now though is it full SF tier prices

it is much cheaper than SF. there is currently a massive push to make us into “silicon island” and some large Asian tech companies were in deals to relocate large parts of their operations here. my company actually recruits from traditional tech places by touting the island lifestyle along with a surprisingly cheaper cost of living over places like SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Starks posted:

I mean I’m speculating here but their economy is tourism. locals going to restaurants isn’t gonna be enough to save it, their best bet is probably gonna be getting healthy as soon as possible so they can get Asian tourists back rather than stretch it out. in the meantime, credit.

this is also a big thing. SK and Japan and China were combined already a bigger tourist market than the mainland. if we don’t have the virus and neither do they, then travel to Hawaii becomes incredibly attractive.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Mourne posted:

I had to go to a Walmart today, a poor decision.

after what I saw in my local Walmart. we are all tremendously hosed.

I am legit afraid.

welcome to the forums president obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yiQXPOO1Yo

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

as a Canadian if we get this under control before the U.S. mainland does I would def take advantage of a cheap flight to Hawaii. we prefer to go to places where American tourists aren’t which is part of why Cuba is so popular.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wanna get back out there, I cadet shipped with Matson and really miss it vs the fuckin North Atlantic

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Starks posted:

as a Canadian if we get this under control before the U.S. mainland does I would def take advantage of a cheap flight to Hawaii. we prefer to go to places where American tourists aren’t which is part of why Cuba is so popular.

you are very welcome to come here as long as you wear a mask and don’t have the deadly plague, either of which would exclude like 80% of the mainland.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

shovelbum posted:

I know they get a lot of tourists from countries that can at least hope to avoid rampant endemic covid, too.

Vietnam hasn't had a single covid death. There are more nations than just NZ and Australia which have managed to keep a lid on this but the question is how many tourists are going to be willing and financially able to deal with the inevitable quarantine requirements which will accompany countries opening up to tourists.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I shop for my grandparents weekly at their Walmart, and this is absolutely true.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Vietnam hasn't had a single covid death. There are more nations than just NZ and Australia which have managed to keep a lid on this but the question is how many tourists are going to be willing and financially able to deal with the inevitable quarantine requirements which will accompany countries opening up to tourists.

Fighting covid isn't exactly hard or complicated we're just insanely botching it, see sloppy European responses that got results eventually.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Stereotype posted:

you are very welcome to come here as long as you wear a mask and don’t have the deadly plague, either of which would exclude like 80% of the mainland.

keeping an internal lock down going beyond elimination is entirely pointless and actively harmful to, say, people who need elective procedurds (chemo, for one).

no need to let in plague ships but forcing a no productive lock down will result in non covid deaths.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

shovelbum posted:

we're just insanely botching it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zberan Madowinty posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaResist53/status/1261080472798584834

And then people reply to that with " guess you just believe everything the news tells you loving lib bitch"

We're going to reach 250k dead and these people are just going to insist it isn't happening

lol that owns

is the villages dead yet??

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Malcolm XML posted:

keeping an internal lock down going beyond elimination is entirely pointless and actively harmful to, say, people who need elective procedurds (chemo, for one).

no need to let in plague ships but forcing a no productive lock down will result in non covid deaths.

shut up dude

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Stereotype posted:

lol Honolulu, which has had single digit new cases for several weeks and zero new cases today, has extended their stay-at-home orders to June 30th.

https://youtu.be/EqChkRQNZBA

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/charliearchy/status/1261122286448332800

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

he does The Cab commercials too. everyone likes him.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Lmao my friend in Wisconsin is all mad that his county still ordered a lockdown so he only got to the bar for like 2 hours yesterday and that it's just the flu and not worth a lockdown. Just a completely different reality

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Stereotype posted:

shut up dude

lol take it up with new Zealand, currently leading the world with an effective response strategy

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Stereotype posted:

he does The Cab commercials too. everyone likes him.

422 2222

I don't watch much TV so I didn't know he was still making commercials until this afternoon.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Bulgakov posted:

time to spend trump bux on some deeply discounted flight, pack my bags with whatever i can, then go live in the forests on kauai and subsist on wild chickens between trips to da beach

this can't be a real option because lol if you can do this and aren't already

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

evidently stone cold was an accurate nickname

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

There is already a plague of broke white people in Hawaii, please do not contribute to the problem

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Bulgakov posted:

time to spend trump bux on some deeply discounted flight, pack my bags with whatever i can, then go live in the forests on kauai and subsist on wild chickens between trips to da beach

There are feral cows you can hunt, too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

There is already a plague of broke white people in America, please do not contribute to the problem
:hmmyes:

people should just not be broke imo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

oxsnard posted:

I mean that's good for public health and really excellent but what do they do about the economy? Surely UI is gonna chew a massive hole in the state budget. I'm not concern trolling I just mean practically what do they do?

money printer go brrrr

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

got any sevens posted:

money printer go brrrr

not for states

unless your florida lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

There is already a plague of broke white people in Hawaii, please do not contribute to the problem

i suppose it would be unethical to hunt them :sigh:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hodgepodge posted:

Goons have precedence already with doing this.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

i like how people are still arguing it's "just the flu" when it's killed a lot more people than the flu does in a year, over the course of like 9 weeks

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

An Ex-Google Employee Turned 'Whistleblower' and QAnon Fan Made 'Plandemic' Go Viral [VICE]

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Xaris posted:

not for states

unless your florida lol

Yeah that's what I was getting at.

If I was a state though I would probably make the assumption that the feds won't let you bankrupt so you may as well deficit spend as much as you can, though I think most states have constitutional requirements about funding and liquidity

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

oxsnard posted:

Yeah that's what I was getting at.

If I was a state though I would probably make the assumption that the feds won't let you bankrupt so you may as well deficit spend as much as you can, though I think most states have constitutional requirements about funding and liquidity

lmao if you think Trrrrrp won't let a state go under if they're not licking his boots.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao my friend in Wisconsin is all mad that his county still ordered a lockdown so he only got to the bar for like 2 hours yesterday and that it's just the flu and not worth a lockdown. Just a completely different reality

The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.' [...] 'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do'.

The cool thing about the roni is that smug assholes like that guy are gonna see nature take a big poo poo on their worldview within their lifetimes, whereas they would have died before climate change really kicked in and proved them wrong too

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just ate a rotten piece of an apple and I can't stop checking posts for long enough to clean the taste out of my mouth

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
0.24% of NYC died of covid going by confirmed + probable deaths on their site. Will cross the 1/400 mark before their curve dies out.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.' [...] 'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do'.

The cool thing about the roni is that smug assholes like that guy are gonna see nature take a big poo poo on their worldview within their lifetimes, whereas they would have died before climate change really kicked in and proved them wrong too

"my delusions are important to me and you will suffer the consequences"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

by the time I read this post the tweet was dead, what did it say?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There were 27,368 cases today, which means depending on the data are using, is about the same or slightly higher than a week ago and far higher than the previous 4 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Hodgepodge posted:

i suppose it would be unethical to hunt them :sigh:

gonna hunt down dog the bounty hunter